I decided to post the last part now because I don't think I'll have any time during the next days.

Part 4 /Epilogue

I had to reorganize my whole life … I never went back to work at LNN again – I couldn’t – everything there reminded me of the worst decision I ever made. I don’t think anyone noticed in the chaos of the previous day.

I wonder what you did after I left your apartment. As far as I know Superman hasn’t made an appearance since those horrible events in Lex’s cellar.

Are your powers back? Are they gone for good? It has to be agonizing for you not knowing. Your parents told me – in the other timeline – that one of the things you wanted most was to be normal, like every other man. Perhaps you are physically like every other man now but you will never be anything but extraordinary.

I hope I can convince you that even if your powers never come back, Superman isn’t gone. He will always be here as long as you are alive and fighting for everything you believe in.

The biggest news today is the re-opening of the Planet. It is amazing that Perry managed to convince Franklin Stern so quickly after Lex’s demise. I already knew that because it was also planned in the other timeline. I had feared that something I did to help you had changed that, but apparently not.

I called you and we agreed to meet in front of the Daily Planet to watch the globe being installed again.

At the moment I am walking to the building. Soon we’ll meet and then I can tell you what I know and how much I missed you.

I’ll tell you I understand how you – Superman – reacted after I was dragged into the alley. I’ll tell you I understand the conversation that followed; now I know why you looked so distraught then. I can only imagine how much I have hurt you. I remember being angry at this woman – myself.

When I arrive I see you standing in front of the building, waiting for the truck that carries the globe. I feel my love rising in my chest, my heart is filled with it, how could I survive the last days without seeing you? You are so gorgeous – I want to run to you and bury myself in your arms. I wish I never had to leave you again.

I still can’t do that, I wouldn’t believe myself after everything I’ve done to you, how can I expect you to believe me?

I draw near next to you, together we look up in the direction of our former – and hopefully future – newsroom. We are both lost in our memories for several minutes until we hear a noise that indicates the arrival of the Planet’s emblem.

I take a deep breath. Perry, Jimmy, Jack and Mr. Stern are all there. It finally seems that everything is returning to normal.

When I release the breath, I notice that you are looking at me and telling me: “It is beautiful, isn’t it?”

I realize that you are not talking about the globe, but I decide I’ll pretend that I haven’t noticed it.

You think I’m beautiful … I close my eyes and let your words repeat in my mind over and over Perhaps there is still hope for us to become more than friends.

We stay in front of the Planet building to talk to Perry and the others for awhile but finally they leave us alone. You turn to me and we both start to talk.

“Clark-”

“Lois-”

“Clark, please let me speak first …” I begin, but as always I am interrupted by you.

“No Lois,” you tell me. “I have to tell you something first!” <Doesn’t this man ever let me talk first?> I’m annoyed. “That day in the park, I shouldn’t have told you that I love you. I didn’t make it easier for you, I am sorry, I should have supported you because … “ He moves his arm behind his back <Why does he do this?> “… it isn’t true! I don’t love you Lois I would have said anything to prevent you from marrying Luthor! But I am sorry that I couldn’t do more for you. I wish we had found the evidence earlier.”

I am shocked. You lied? You don’t love me?

What am I to do now? Do I still tell you? Is it fair to put you into the same position you thought you’d put me? Or do I want to go back to the easy friendship we shared before this whole ordeal?

Finally I decide to tell you and then we can decide together if there is any chance for a *us*.

“Lois, are you ok?” I realize that you expect me to react.

“Yes, I’m all right but … I also have something I want to tell you, but not here. How about you make me some coffee in your apartment?”

You look at me curiously, but don’t object. “Sure.”

Ten minutes later I sit on your sofa.

As we walked to your apartment I tried to figure out how to approach this delicate subject. I still have no idea, but it made me anxious.

I close my eyes and take a deep breath.

When I hear you put a cup of coffee in front of me I look at you and wait until you are seated comfortably.

I suppress the urge to jump up and pace.

After taking another deep breath I begin hesitantly. “Clark, you are my best friend …”How do I go on without telling him about the other future and H.G. Wells? Is there still the danger of causing these time ripping thingys?

“The past few days were extremely stressful for both of us,“ I say. “But they showed me some things. This is not easy for me …” Finally I give in to the urge to pace; I know that I am stalling for time. “Do you remember the day the second Superman appeared?”

You nod, I know that you remember, but I had to find a way to begin.

“The evening he … showed up at my apartment and tried to kiss me, perhaps even to take advantage of me? You showed up then and faced him … I didn’t notice it then but you caught his hand! Did you even realize it? You caught Superman’s hand to stop him from hurting me. I was so blind, then. Now I see it. What I am trying to say is: I know you are Superman.”

You turn white. “Lois … I…”

“No Clark,” I interrupt you. “This time you’ll let me talk until I have said everything I need to get out.”

I glare at you and you nod.

“Don’t even try to convince me you’re not. It won’t work. I discovered your secret and I understand why you didn’t tell me, especially after that day in the park. I am so angry at myself!”

You attempt to speak but decide otherwise after I glare at you again.

“Anyway that brings me to the other topic I wanted to tell you … I knew this would be difficult.” <And it didn’t become easier after you told me that you don’t love me.> “Clark, I realized another thing in the previous days. I came close to losing you, closer than you perhaps realize. I saw Lex with the axe … and I didn’t care about my own life anymore I just wanted you to live. I would have given everything for you,” I explain, feeling tears gathering in my eyes. I fight them away and swallow before I continue.

“I would have given everything for you because … I love you.” My tears return – I can’t stop them anymore – and I look in your eyes. “You said you lied that day in the park, that you aren’t in love with me. I have to accept that, I just wanted you to know. I also want you to know that I won’t tell anyone …” Then your lips are on mine – I didn’t notice when you stood up, and why are you kissing me?

I close my eyes and lose myself in the feeling of your lips on mine.

Could it possibly … possibly mean what I hope it means? A little voice in my head asks.

Could it be that you lied … not in the park … but at the new Planet building? It goes on, my mind is beginning to reel.

Could it be that you love me? The way your lips are caressing mine, this kiss … it gives me my answer …

Then you draw back, look directly into my eyes and whisper, “I love you, Lois.”

The end...
peep

Kathryn