This post is intended mainly for the old stagers who remember this story from the old boards where I occasionally still post. <g> If any newbies are wondering what the hell the crazy woman is talking about feel free to ask. I may even answer. laugh If people like, I can repost this over here or I can just go away and leave you in all in peace. Up to you. By the by, I do intend to finish this soon. smile
Alex

Part 11:

Emma shook her head. &#8220;You're not listening. I didn't say she was in love with you, I said she felt something more for you than friendship. Just from observing the two of you I'd say she's been fighting that realization for a few months now because she doesn't want to risk rocking the boat. You're important to her Clark, any idiot can tell that. If she gambles that friendship on something more and it doesn't work she figures she'll lose you. Well that's my theory anyway.&#8221;

Clark eyed her speculatively. &#8220;You sound like you've thought about this a few times. Speaking from experience?&#8221;

Emma poked her tongue out. &#8220;I plead the fifth on that one. Besides, this isn't about me. It's about you two. Obviously you want something more and maybe, just maybe Lois does too. Why don't you talk to her? I'll make myself scarce and you two can thrash this out. No distractions, no stories. Just the two of you and some of the most beautiful scenery in the state. You might even be able to get her to agree to a dinner date after you get back to Metropolis.&#8221;

&#8220;Just a dinner date?&#8221; Clark asked in disappointment.

&#8220;Ever heard of rushing your fences, Romeo? Your partner is obviously scared to death of taking the next step. Push it and you'll lose any chance you ever had.&#8221;

&#8220;She was engaged last year,&#8221; Clark objected. &#8220;That happened rapidly.&#8221;

Emma rolled her eyes. &#8220;Give me strength,&#8221; she muttered. &#8220;Maybe because it didn't matter?&#8221; she said with gentle sarcasm. &#8220;You matter Clark so trust me on this one ok? Sloooowly,&#8221; Emma said, drawing the word out. &#8220;You waited this long, a little longer won't hurt.&#8221; She picked up some tongs and started dishing out the food. Clark started to get up and then heard the shower start running. The most important conversation of his life was obviously going to have to wait.

Part 12 Preview:

Lois braced her palms against the wall of the shower and let the spray beat down on her shoulders before it slid down her back, soothing tired and tense muscles as it went. For a few minutes she simply turned her mind off and let the water wash away the tension and stress of the last twenty-four hours. However her mind wouldn't stay in neutral for long, it just wasn't in her nature and so it wasn't long before the revelations of the last few minutes were hammering on the door of her consciousness, demanding that she face them. Even Lois couldn't ignore that kind of cacophony for long so with a great deal of reluctance she allowed the unwelcome revelations to scamper through a door she normally kept tightly locked and into the daylight. In a bid to delay the moment of realization Lois ducked her head under the spray, letting the warm water and steam surround her.

At least she wasn't stressing about being stuck in the country for the weekend. Nor was she griping because she was being prevented from going along on the sting operation on Monday. All of those worries had been obliterated by that crystalline moment of awareness when she realized that her feelings for Clark were no longer platonic. Smug complacency shattered Lois realized that while she wasn't ready to call these feelings love the progression of her feelings towards Clark had moved on. From her initial contempt her feelings towards Clark had progressed up to tolerance when she realized he wasn't a total novice. Grudging admiration and respect at the way he handled the job had in turn succeeded that tolerance. The last time Lois had examined her feelings towards Clark they'd been safe feelings of warm friendship. When had that changed? Realising she was in danger of turning into a giant prune if she stayed in the shower much longer Lois reluctantly shut off the water and reached for the towel hanging nearby.

As she rubbed herself dry Lois returned to the sixty-four dollar question. When had her feelings towards Clark changed? Then she moved on to the sixty four thousand dollar question. How did she feel about him now? She was attracted to him she acknowledged slowly. Even when she'd considered Clark the "hack from nowheresville' she'd still subconsciously acknowledged he was a handsome man. Just look at what had happened when they'd all been sprayed by Miranda's pheromone compound. Ok, that was a start. Lois hung the towel back up and shrugged into the terry cloth robe she'd hung ready. Tying the cord around her waist she ran a hand through her hair to remove the excess moisture and headed back into her bedroom to dress. Through the partially drawn curtains she could see Clark and Emma sitting on the back deck eating breakfast. They looked good together Lois thought and wondered what she'd do if Clark really did see her only as a friend as he'd claimed after her near wedding to Lex. Despite the fact that that statement clashed with the declaration of love he'd made before the wedding Lois was starting to wonder if she was staring at evidence that it was the first declaration not the second which had been the lie. She decided that if she let herself believe that she was sunk before she got started. Turning away from the window she reached for the bag sitting at the foot of the bed and began to rifle through it in search of suitable clothes. As she rummaged she continued to pick at the emotions that swam through her consciousness. After a few fruitless minutes she simply closed her eyes and let herself feel.

Happy, scared, excited, nervous; she felt all of these. She wanted to dance, she wanted to sing, she wanted to run and hide all at the same time. Yet underlying all of the emotions that were washing through her was the feeling of safety. Clark would never deliberately hurt her or be careless with her feelings. Instead he would treasure them, treat them both with respect and care as if they were infinitely precious. Clark would never laugh at her for feeling the way she did or mock her for being weak enough to care. So there it was, Lois realized. She cared about Clark Kent. Cared about him as more than a friend, cared about him as someone she could grow to love. Cared about him in ways she couldn't recall caring about anyone before. If he returned those feelings they had a chance at something wonderful. If he cared they had the chance to create something beautiful.

&#8220;And if,&#8221; Lois said softly, &#8220;I have enough courage to ignore the fears of a lifetime and ask.&#8221;

tbc...

"Nerwin! Are you trying to destroy all sense of order in my classroom?"

"Oh no! That's going too far. But you might want to consider me the loyal opposition!"

- Broomhilda