Hi, here is the next part, I hope you like it. Thanks to Female Hawk for BR.

Previously

When I lay in my bed I think about calling Clark, but then I remember that I have visited him tonight … how could I have forgotten that?

I slip under the covers and close my eyes … the day after tomorrow I’ll be married, I’ll be Mrs. Lex Luthor … the third richest woman in the world … Why am I not deliriously happy?

and now:
Part 3

I’ll marry Lex … there are only a few precious hours left until tomorrow. I have so much to do, I have to pack a bag for honeymoon …Lex told me I wouldn’t have to because he could buy me everything I wanted and … clothing would be optional. Somehow I am not completely comfortable with the thought of being naked in front of Lex … strange, but maybe it’s just some sort of pre-wedding nervousness.

I should also begin to pack my personal things in boxes, empty my kitchen cupboards … I still haven’t given my landlord the notice of cancellation for my apartment. Why did I delay all these things? I canceled yesterday’s meeting with Lex – instead I’m going to meet him today …that means I have even less time … what did I have in my mind? Lucy’s therapist Mrs. Friskin perhaps would tell me that my postponing has a deeper meaning … that is why I never went to a therapist myself; they think everything has another meaning.

It is really strange … since yesterday I have this disturbing feelings about Lex … and Clark …and Superman.

When I think about Lex, there is this feeling of … I don’t know how to describe it … but I feel slightly… creepy … odd … dislike … but I shrug it off, Lex is a philanthropist.

Superman … I worry about him, I have a nagging feeling that something bad will happen to him.

I have the same feeling concerning Clark … but it is stronger. I can only remember fighting with him in the last days … I should be angry with him but instead I want to take him in my arms and protect him and soothe him … I have absolutely no clue why there is a need to protect him, Clark is a grown man, he should be able to protect himself. But Clark is still a hick from Smallville, Kansas; I think that is why I have these feelings.

I call Lex’s office and make an appointment with Lex today at 10 a.m. I should get ready, if I don’t want to be late.

When I leave my building I see Lex’s limousine waiting for me. Didn’t I tell him that I want to drive myself? Perhaps I forgot … I sigh, enter the car and the driver starts the engine to take me to my apartment.

Soon I’ll live in a big apartment with my husband … tomorrow is my wedding … in less than 24 hours I’ll be Mrs. Lex Luthor. Could life be better for me? … If only Clark and Superman would come to my wedding, if only the Planet hadn’t been destroyed, if only …

Our bedroom will be about three thousand square feet … I hope I won’t get lost in the apartment during the first days. Why do we need such a big apartment? I doubt we’ll need it.

Lex thinks French doors will make the room look smaller … how can a three thousand square feet bedroom possibly look small?

Am I doing the right thing? Do I really want to marry Lex? What if what I do is wrong?

I thought I would be happy to plan my new life, but instead I couldn’t wait for this meeting to end …

At some point we are interrupted by Mrs. Cox, Lex’s personal assistant. I don’t like her, she’s so smug and she seems to know everything about Lex — things I don’t know; it makes me crazy. Perhaps I can tell Lex to replace her. And this Series K field test she spoke of … there is something about that … it makes me nervous … she seems dangerous.

Lex knows me so well, when I feel sad he takes me in his arms and he even told me to call Clark after he found out that I miss him so much … he doesn’t seem jealous of my connection with Clark. I don’t think many men would accept another man in a close relationship with his fiancée or wife.

I can’t explain why I think so, but there is something about the way Lex suggested that I call Clark. As if he thinks I wouldn’t see him again soon. I have a nagging feeling that something isn’t right, I’m sure something will happen in the next 24 hours but I can’t say what.

Finally we have spoken about everything and I tell Lex that I am going to head home. My plan was to hail a cab but Lex insists that I take his Mercedes convertible, he tells me a Luthor doesn’t have to take a cab.

I don’t know why but I shudder inwardly when he refers to me as a Luthor … I sense that I have no choice but to accept Lex’s offer.

I’m on my way home when I change my mind and drive to Clark’s apartment instead of mine, I’ll try to talk to him perhaps he will come to my wedding tomorrow when he realizes how much it would mean to me, how much our separation has hurt me.

I park the convertible in front of his building and walk up to his entrance. Then I notice Superman shooting up into the sky. I wonder where he’s going now and why he has been at Clark’s apartment … At least I know Clark is home because otherwise Superman wouldn’t have been here.

I knock at the door … nothing, perhaps it wasn’t loud enough. I try again — louder, this time I use his doorbell … but still … nothing.

Clark doesn’t seem to be at home, but what was Superman doing here without Clark?

I sigh and get into the car to drive back home. I think I’ll try to reach Clark later. Maybe I’ll call him after I have packed my bag for the honeymoon.

Suddenly I feel … I don’t know … nausea and a dull ache in me. I stop the car at the curb and try to examine where the feeling comes from but strangely I can’t determine it. I shake my head to clear it and continue my drive back home, there is too much left to do to dwell over strange feelings. Perhaps it was also caused by the upcoming wedding. Most women get anxious before their wedding, don’t they? I’m marrying the third richest man in the world, I have a lot to be anxious about

When I am at home again I go on to pack my bag. Just before I am ready I notice some notes, strangely I can’t remember writing them …

Clark … the love of my life? No, that can’t be! Although I know I don’t love Lex with my whole heart. I am about to throw them away but my curiosity gets the better of me and I read the rest of my writing…

Today is my wedding day, I should be deliriously happy but instead I’m confused. Last night when I prepared the bag for our honeymoon, I found some notes written in my own handwriting.

The first said ‘Clark Kent is the love of my life’ I would have dismissed it except the following sentences caused me to remember our time at the Smallville Corn Festival; I remembered the warm look in Clark’s eyes and how afraid I was when I thought Trask would shoot him. Then I remembered him being with me when Mr. Make-Up tried to kill me. I would never have admitted it, but I only felt safe when Clark was there. There are several other memories flooding my mind and every one of them shows me how much I feel for him.

The next note was even more unbelievable … it told me again to remember the Corn Festival, when Clark cut his finger …it seemed as if he didn’t know what to do! He also developed these strange allergies … he didn’t have them before or after. Indeed he didn’t show any of the typical symptoms like the itching or the swollen eyes.

I didn’t know what this second note meant until I thought about the other event it mentioned. The evening ‘Superman’ came into my apartment and kissed me – I have never felt really awkward in Superman’s presence until then – Superman’s kiss was hard and demanding instead of gentle and loving. I discovered that this man whoever he was couldn’t be Superman. I’d kissed the hero before … the man in the costume wasn’t him.

I had never been that scared before — having a super powered stranger with an obviously romantic interest in me frightened me! He didn’t frighten me because he was super-powered but because he didn’t seem to have any of the boundaries Superman normally had

But then Clark came and stopped him. The fake hero threatened him and he didn’t back down! Clark actually caught his hand and brought it down! Although I asked him if he were out of his mind, I was relieved that he faced him. Thinking about this now I realize that Clark had to know in advance about the imposter.

I can’t believe I didn’t notice that before …

And there is another note, it begins with ‘SAVE HIM’. It instructs me to go to Lex’s apartment and find a wine cellar and do something with a key. Who do I have to save? It has to be Lex, who else could be in trouble in Lex’s apartment?

I wonder why I have written this ... ‘go into the wine cellar, take the key and lay it down next to him!’ To whom? What key? When did I write this? ‘Don’t let anyone see you!’ I don’t know why I even follow these instructions; they make no sense at all!

But still … I have this nagging feeling it is very important that I find the cellar and follow the instructions on this piece of paper.

‘Go into the right wing of the penthouse, look for an area where the walls look like those in a medieval castle, there is an old wooden door leading to a cellar. Open it and go down the stairs.’

When I arrive downstairs I gasp. “Superman!” I whisper. Or is it Clark? My writing on the paper suggested that the two men are the same and I’m pretty sure I’m right. My mind tells me only Lex can be responsible for this but my heart tells me – although I’m not in love with Lex – that the famous philanthropist – the man I wanted to marry – wouldn’t do this!

Seeing the Man of Steel laying helpless and suffering … knowing it is my friend … my … love, sends daggers through my heart and my eyes become watery. Who would do this to the gentlest and most compassionate man in the world?

That is not important right now! I have to help him, get him out of this cage. I take the key. Forget what is written on the paper! I can’t let him lie here! If this sickly glowing, green stuff is kryptonite, it will kill him! It seems to make him suffer — although he’s unconscious, he moans in agony from time to time, and every breath seems to cause further pain.

I have to save him! He is dying! But then the door opens and I jump behind some barrels and hide. I hold my breath … it is Lex!

Logically I knew Lex had to be the instigator – this is his penthouse. Who else could have done this? But there is a difference between knowing something and actually seeing it!

I am shocked to discover the depths of evil in this man I imagined I loved! He traps the Man of Steel in a cage, causes him pain which seems so intense, I can only imagine how he feels. AND as if letting him die alone in a cage wasn’t enough, he visits and torments him just for his pleasure – this is sick! It takes every ounce of my strength not to jump out and confront Lex.

Luthor gloats cruelly to Superman about our forthcoming wedding night … I shudder … the next thing he tells him is although he loves me he thinks he’ll get rid of my independence! <In your dreams! > Real love doesn’t want you to change.

Superman manages to get out that Clark Kent knows where he is. I wonder why he said this – he is Clark! If he manages to kill him there will be no Clark Kent anymore. Luthor’s only reaction is a nonchalant remark that he’d have to get rid of him as well, doesn’t he understand that if Luthor doesn’t find Clark, he’ll possibly threaten your parents to find Clark Kent? Is he insane?

Finally Luthor goes away. Fortunately, he left the key on a barrel. Before I have had the time to leave my hiding spot I hear the wedding music start – Lex installed speakers in here? Is he really that abhorrent? I see Superman struggle with unconsciousness. Finally he manages to wake up again. With his last strength he stands up and tries to break the cage … he thinks I’m up there marrying the monster! It seems to be one last desperate attempt before he finally slumps down unconscious and it has been for me.

When Superman passes out again I realize that several minutes have passed. I wasted them by watching his futile struggle against this horrible cage.

Through the speakers I hear the guests becoming anxious <perhaps because the bride is missing> I think with a grim smile.

Then I get up and run to the barrel where Lex had placed the key. I take it and put it into the lock. It slips in easily and turns smoothly. <Lex uses only the highest quality, he wouldn’t accept the second best> I think as my disgust rises into my throat.

Eventually the door is open. Now all I have to do is to get Superman out if here. I step in the cage and see him open his eyes weakly. Our gazes lock for a brief moment. I see his soul through them. I can see love and passion, friendship and trust, but I also see the hurt I caused …

I take his face into my hands and whisper “I’m so sorry for being so careless. I never intended to hurt your feelings.” A tear escapes from my eye. “You have to help me. I am going to get you out of here, but I can’t do it alone”

“No … have to go … too dangerous … will come back … kill you…leave me!” He tells me in a hoarse whisper.

Another tear runs down my face “No! I can’t let you die!” Then he slumps down again, falling back into unconsciousness from exhaustion.

Suddenly I realize the sounds from the ‘ceremony‘ has changed to chaotic noise. I hear Perry and Henderson, they tell Lex he’s charged for arson, murder and other crimes too numerous to mention. Finally Lex has been brought down.

At first Lex doesn’t believe anything but then his attitude seems to change and he realizes they are serious and that he’s doomed. I hear a short fight and footsteps – someone is running away – we have to hurry. Who knows what has happened up there?

My heart stops … the door to the cellar opens … Lex enters the room.

He looks down at the cage … spots me.

“Lois, my dear!” Lex says coldly “-We have wondered where you have been!” He fixes me with an icy stare. “I see you have discovered my little secret. Let me just finish my business here and then we can take the helicopter which is waiting for us on the roof.”

Is he out of his mind? WE won’t go anywhere and at least not together!

Lex takes the fire axe and runs down the stairs. I have to do something, he’s going to kill Superman!

I ignore the axe and run in his direction to tackle him away from Superman’s stiff-unconscious body. My action only causes him to stagger slightly. He turns on me, his gaze full of hot rage.

“Lois, I love you but I can’t accept anyone getting in my way. You could have had everything, the world would have been our oyster. But you preferred to give everything away, for him!” Lex said derisively. “I’ll take care of you, but first I do him in.”

“NO!” I scream. I try to wrest the axe out of his grip but it is futile, Lex is too strong for me. He pushes me away with one of his hands and I trip. I fall and then my head hits something hard.

I realize that my head has hit the cage and my mind drifts in and out of consciousness. I am flooded with memories. They drift before me like scenes from a movie … a very disjointed movie … your parents …at a funeral … YOUR funeral … I remember the weeks after the funeral … feeling so lonely. I remember HG Wells’ time-machine … strange I’ve never read that book … no wait, I’ve seen himself and he brought me into the past to save you … I have to get up, Lex mustn’t succeed! I also remember faintly that he said nobody should see me but I don’t care about that! I have to save you!

I can’t get up, my head hurts like hell and I’ve lost my balance.

I notice some noise around me and open my eyes. You stagger out of your cell. You are barely able to stand but you face Lex.

“You will not touch her, Luthor!” you say with cold determination. “Not as long as I live.”

“Actually, Superman I’m working on it.” Luthor grins as he raises the axe once again.

You grab the shaft of the axe and try to get it away from Luthor but you are too weak. I realize you can’t do it alone so I crawl in your direction and push my foot into the hollow of Luthor’s knee.

Lex loses his balance, falls behind some barrels and passes out after the back of his head hits the concrete. That is our chance! I look at you – now I’m sure you are Clark – and you nod in silent understanding. We have to get out of here!

You grab my arm and help me to get up –that is typical for you – you barely manage to stay on your own feet and still give everything for me.

Together we stumble to the door, away from these horrible events – I’m sure we both look as if we are completely wasted, but it is not important right now.

The stairs now seem like an insurmountable obstacle. I’m still dizzy and you … I don’t know where you draw the strength to stand, let alone walk.

Being with you again is everything I need, I shake my head to clear it. Then I begin to walk up the stair dragging you behind me.

As soon as we are out of this horrible room, I hear footsteps coming our way and notice that you’ve stopped. Then I realize why you’re hesitating: no one should see Superman in a weakened state! Superman has to remain invulnerable in the public eye.

We have to think fast to find a solution, I spot a door. Carefully I look inside – a storage closet – we hide inside while we hear Henderson and his man run past us.

“There were fighting noises in this part of the penthouse! The four of you follow me, the rest searches the other doors! There is a wine cellar down here! Perhaps we can also find Ms Lane down there.” That is Henderson’s voice, he is instructing his men to search for Luthor … and me?

Several minutes later the police reappear with their prisoner – who still looks light-headed.

I motion to you to wait in here while I slip out of the closet, Henderson and his men are already down the floor and when I call “Henderson” he turns around.

“God, Lane you nearly gave me a heart attack! Where the hell have you been?” He tells the officers to bring Luthor to a police car and walks back to me. “And what the hell have you done?” He asks me after he stands directly in front of me.

I realize that I must look really ruffled.

“I did your job Henderson! I stopped the bad guy!” I snap. Then I realize that the sudden motion isn’t any good for my head.

Suddenly the headache is back and it pairs up with dizziness. I can feel myself passing out, my legs become wobbly and the world fades out.

I don’t know how much time has passed when I finally wake up, but all I can think of is you. My head still hurts but it has improved. I am in an ambulance. I need to get out and look for you.

I see Perry, walk over to him and ask, “Where is Clark?”

“Honey, Clark is I missing.” He tells me in a worried voice. “We haven’t seen him since the day before yesterday.”

I struggle to understand this information because it makes no sense. I have seen you. I know you are not missing.

But I can still feel the dread rising in me.

Then I hear it – your voice. “I’m here Lois, I’m here!” I turn and see you. My heart thumps and my mouth just can’t help smiling.

You look weaker than I’ve ever seen you, but so happy. The sparkle in your eyes is something I thought I would never see again. It is the most amazing sight I’ve ever seen, you are beautiful.

I run to you as fast as my still-weak legs allow me. When I reach you I throw my arms around your neck and I feel yours slip around my waist… Tears stream down my face, but this time they are happy tears. At some point, I notice my hair is damp –you are crying, too.

There is something else – you are trembling – only slightly – I wouldn’t have noticed if I hadn’t been so close to you. I draw you closer to me to comfort both of us. I think I can only assume how hard this had been for you.

My heart is full of joy, you are here – with me. I’ll never let you go again. Never!

But… we still have to talk. My face heats as I remember how terribly I treated you.

“Clark-” I begin but you interrupt me.

“Sssh Lois, it is ok!” You try to calm me but have exactly the opposite effect. Will you ever let me finish a sentence?

“Clark, we have to talk.” I tell you.

“Lois, I agree … but not now. Could we please just be here … together?”

“Ok, Clark!” I lean back into your embrace and the rest of the world fades out.

Finally I feel safe … whole … loved… secure … again…

We leave as soon as we are allowed to. It seems that I have given my statement to every cop in Metropolis, but finally every last one of them is satisfied with my answers.

Without talking to each other we decide to walk to your apartment. You take my hand and we simply enjoy being together.

We don’t say much while we walk, but I don’t mind. I think about the previous days and how they changed everything. I also think about the other time-line … Wells told me that I would forget those events and I did … but now I can remember and I don’t think I’ll ever forget again.

I know your big secret and also I know I have to tell you as soon as I can. But not tonight. We are completely drained both physically and emotionally. Neither of us has any stamina left to discuss this.

At present, our complete contentment is found is simply being together. I close my eyes knowing with absolute certainty that you will prevent me from falling if I stumble.

With my eyes closed, my other senses become more aware. I can feel your clothes where our arms are entwined. I take a deep breath and I can smell your cologne. I love the way it mixes with your own smell. Do you feel the same way? Do you like my ‘aroma’? Do you close your eyes sometimes to feel, to smell, to sense?

We arrive at your apartment and the feeling of being home becomes even more intense. Without saying a word you let go of my hand and walk into the kitchen while I move to sit on the sofa.

A few minutes later you join me with two cups of coffee. We sip at our coffees – neither of us wants to break the comfortable silence. I lean into you just to feel you.

I know we have to talk about so many things but not tonight, the only thing I want from this night to the reassurance that we are both still alive and won’t leave each other alone.

t. b. c.

Kathryn