Against my better judgement, I decided to start posting (crossing fingers that I have enough buffer and hopefully posting it will stop my indecisiveness and just make me write). I hope to post weekly on Monday or Tuesday. This story is an alternate take on AKA Superman, if you couldn't tell by the title smile . Thanks to everyone that has helped me with this story so far laugh .

AKA Clark Kent
by Alicia U. <lxu2@cwru.edu>

"Happy birthday, dear Cla-ark," Lois Lane half-sang, half-whispered into her husband's ear. With each word, her mouth inched closer. Her hot breath on his neck made him shiver involuntarily.

Snuggling together in a small, secluded booth in a dark corner of Luigi's Italian Restaurant, they were glad the two candles burning on the table provided the only light around them. It gave them the illusion of complete privacy.

"Happy birthday to you," she finished in a deep, seductive tone.

By the end of the song, Lois was practically sitting on Clark's lap; her mouth poised mere centimeters from his soft skin. Her every breath teased him mercilessly. He wanted her . . . now.

As the song ended, Lois closed the last few millimeters between her lips and Clark's face. She trailed a diagonal line of warm kisses from his earlobe across his cheek towards his mouth. When her lips softly connected with Clark's earlobe, he shuddered slightly in anticipation of what was to come. She had deliberately planned to elicit just this reaction. He was going to get the best birthday present of his life -- an uninterrupted night alone with his wife.

They hadn't had much time alone together lately. Lois couldn't even remember the last time they'd had an entire evening to themselves with no interruptions from work or from Superman. Tonight, she was planning to change that. Although Lois never seemed to be able to control emergencies, she could control almost every other variable. She had meticulously made sure their schedules were completely free all night and all day tomorrow, checking everything she could imagine.

Clark's birthday was going to be memorable -- for both the birthday boy and his wife. Lois had planned a special surprise and she was hoping to get just as much satisfaction as Clark surely would.

Before she kissed his lips she pulled away slightly, ignoring Clark's groan of protest. With her hands slowly rubbing circles along his upper thighs, tips of their noses touching, mouths millimeters apart, the sexual tension was palpable.

Even though Clark's heart raced wildly and his skin tingled wherever Lois's mouth or fingers had touched, he knew that they were still in a public place. He needed to regain at least *some* control of his libido or else . . .

"It's not even my real birthday until tomorrow," he sputtered. Clark certainly wasn't complaining, but he needed to say something, anything, to get his mind away from the pleasure Lois was giving him.

Lois drew one of her hands away from his leg and rested it on his chest, whispering almost dismissively, "It must be tomorrow somewhere in the world."

She snuck a quick kiss, giving him a taste of what was to come. It was a wordless promise of so much more. He couldn't even imagine what she had planned for later!

"Mmm hmm," Clark blindly agreed. He hadn't even heard what she had said. It hadn't taken much prodding, but Lois had broken his powerless resolve.

He was weak, so weak. Kryptonite had nothing on Lois Lane's kisses.

So what if they were still in the middle of a crowded restaurant? They would give the other customers a show very shortly. Clark wrapped his powerful arms around Lois's slim body and pulled her onto his lap. He captured her soft, moist lips in a hungry, desperate kiss. Groaning deeply, he longed to release the pressure and tension that had built up for over a week. It had reached a virtual state of emergency when she had started seducing him tonight.

He tasted the remnants of the chocolate mousse dessert still on her lips and tongue. She tasted so good. He hoped it would never end. Lois was like a drug; he could never resist the addiction. He needed Lois in every facet of his life.

Lois moaned softly as his kiss became harder, more demanding. He pulled her as close as he could with one arm as he ran the other hand up and down her back. Lois's fingers tangled in his soft, thick hair, pushing his head as close as she could. No, she hadn't planned this development, but she certainly wasn't arguing. It was an unexpected bonus, a situation where she didn't mind losing control.

They explored each other's mouths with an uninhibited hunger and passion. Their tongues danced an erotic tango neither wanted to end.

"Ahem," a fake cough, loud, obnoxious interrupted the couple's reverie.

Whoever it was, Lois wanted to scream, "GO AWAY!" but Clark's lips kept hers too occupied to speak.

They were still in the middle of a crowded restaurant. Nothing could change that fact, as much as they both had prayed for the crowd around them to disappear. It had been so long since they had been alone together, yet they still weren't truly alone. At times like these, they needed a magic wand to make everyone else. Too bad Lois wasn't Samantha Stevens from 'Bewitched.' Then she would only need to wiggle her nose to create an illusion of complete privacy. Why didn't Superman come with a vanishing power? His other powers were cool, but that would be perfect!

Too bad it was a fleeting fantasy and would never happen in real life. Even Superman's powers had some limitations.

Lois and Clark reluctantly pulled apart and stared at the small waiter who had so rudely interrupted. The little bug was wearing a knowing smirk both Lois and Clark wanted to wipe off his face. In the same annoying, obviously fake Italian accent that he had been using all night, he said, "Can I get you anything else? A room?"

"Um, no, no, thank you" an embarrassed Clark said quickly.

"Just the check," Lois said simultaneously. The sooner they could leave, got out of there, the better for everyone. She hadn't even snapped back at that stupid waiter for that sarcastic comment. He had better consider himself lucky that she was in such a good mood tonight.

As the waiter sauntered away from the table, obviously thinking himself very witty, Lois and Clark turned to each other again.

Lois's cheeks were flushed and her lips were slightly swollen from the pressure of their kisses. She looked absolutely beautiful, even with her slightly mussed hair and smudged lipstick. Clark wanted nothing more than to ravage her once again.

Clark's cheeks were flushed. He looked slightly disoriented, his eyes still clouded with passion. His hair was sticking up in the back in a way that was incredibly endearing, making him look like a little boy. Although he was Superman and resistant to any physical harm, his reaction to Lois's kisses rendered him more vulnerable to her charms than any red-blooded American male. She delighted in knowing that she could make the strongest man in the world crumble under her soft touch. Looking at him now, Lois wanted nothing more than to kiss him senseless.

To break some of the tension until the waiter returned with their check, Lois said, "Hmm, I think the closest he's ever been to Italy is watching Godfather Part II."

Clark laughed and had to physically hold his arms back to keep from grabbing her and pulling her to him. "Mmm, true. Probably not even that close."

Lois leaned against his shoulder and said, "But we can't hold that against him. I mean, it's not everyone whose husband can fly to Italy on a moment's whim."

"Well, uh . . ."

Clark didn't have to answer, for the waiter had returned with the check. Lois quickly took some bills out of her purse and folded them into the billfold on the table.

"You had this all planned, didn't you?" Clark asked in amusement at his wife's quick action. He'd known she was planning something for his birthday, and had been waiting all day to see what it would be. So far, she hadn’t disappointed him -- not that she ever could. Anything she did would be amazing.

"You’d better believe it, Kent," Lois said in a suggestive tone. Everything was planned to the letter. He knew her well enough to expect that. She laughed as she stood up, pulling him with her.

Clark chuckled good-naturedly as he leaned down to grab Lois's jacket from the back of the chair. As he helped guide her into the wrap, his hands glided against the soft, warm, bare flesh of her arms and shoulders. The feel of her smooth skin sent torturous pangs through his body. They needed to get out of here . . . quickly. He could already feel everyone in the restaurant staring.

As Clark guided her jacket over her shoulders, chills raged through Lois's body. As good as it felt, Lois knew she had to get out of there . . . quickly. If Clark didn't stop soon, she was going to turn around and kiss him senseless, and they'd put on a show for the rest of the restaurant.

Lucky for both of them, as soon as Lois's jacket was in place, Clark's hand instinctively fell to rest on the small of Lois's back and they began to walk quickly toward the exit. Soon, they were finally outside in the cold winter air. They were free!

Not exactly free. They still had the whole street to worry about, but at least they had escaped the shackles of the crowded restaurant. People were less likely to stop them if they started kissing on the street. If it got too hot and heavy, they could always slip into an ever-present dark alley and Clark could change into Superman and fly them away to absolute privacy.

Lois shivered involuntarily as she tried to acclimate herself to the cold air as they began the short trek home. Thankfully, Lois had chosen a restaurant that was only two blocks from home. Was that ingenious planning, or what?

"Are you okay, honey?" Clark was sensitive to his wife's every discomfort since his body didn't seem to have any active pain receptors. Clark wrapped his arms around her and wrapped his jacket around both of them.

"Mmm, much better," Lois said softly. The heat of Clark's body against hers was doing more than the jacket to ease her suffering . . . or to create an entirely different kind of discomfort. She quickly glanced at her watch. "Clark, in just over two hours, you'll be thirty-one years old."

"Don't remind me." He groaned audibly; of course she had to remind him of how old he was getting. It seemed like everyone and their brother had to remind him of his age right around his birthday. And now Lois was doing it too. What a mood killer!

Lois laughed at his tone. This was the one time she could make fun of him for being an old man -- after all, she hadn't even turned thirty yet. Okay, her birthday was coming up, but that was a moot point right now. Instead she said in a fake, whiney tone, "Aww, but, Clark, don't you want to see what I have planned for your special birthday celebration?" Her voice dropped as she finished, "You, me, all alone . . ."

"Just the two of us?" He inwardly gulped, as he guided her up the steps to the brownstone. She could have anything planned for tonight, and he was desperately excited to find out what it was. Tonight was going to be memorable; of that he was positive.

As Lois forced the door open, she said, punctuated with kisses, "Just . . . the . . . two . . . of . . . us. No interruptions, no distractions, just the two of us . . . alone . . . together."

Clark shivered at her words. Just the two of them. Alone. Together. For a night of . . . closeness. His mind raced with ideas of just what she could be thinking about. All he knew was that he'd be a fool to stop her, whatever she had planned. It had been too long since they'd been able to have an uninterrupted night, or even thirty minutes, alone together; he would be happy with anything she could imagine.

In the doorway, Lois turned in Clark's embrace so they were standing face to face. She stood up on her tiptoes and reached out to capture his lips with her own. This wasn't at all how she had planned the evening to go, but he was just so irresistible. His lips were like double chocolate fudge ice cream, sweet, soft, and addictive. She could never get enough.

Clark stepped through the door and somehow managed to shut it. She had caught him by surprise again, but he wasn't complaining. Her lips felt so wonderful everywhere they touched. He reached under her jacket and helped her slide it down her shoulders, but didn't want to break contact to allow her to shake it off.

"Mmm, this is *so* good," Clark moaned when Lois broke the kiss. Her hands had reached underneath his suit jacket and he shrugged out of it. "Lois, you're driving me crazy. You *know* what pasta does to me."

Lois giggled coquettishly. "Yes, I *do* know. It's all part of my master plan."

"When are you letting me in on this master plan?" he asked as he kissed her cheek.

"In due time," she said softly. "It will be worth it. Believe me."

Thinking about their recent bad luck and lack of intimate contact, Clark sobered into a pensive tone. It had been too long since they had been together, something he couldn't live without for much longer. "I've missed you so much."

She turned to catch his eye as she whispered, "I've missed you, too." After planting a soft, teasing kiss on his lips, she continued, "Every part of this evening has been so . . ." She paused, allowing Clark to press her back against the couch. ". . . wonderful."

"Mmm, you've hit a home run." He quickly pulled away and sat up starkly, his arms falling limp at his side. "Oh my god, a home run!"

"A home run?" Lois had no idea why he had pulled away, but she knew that she wanted to keep close contact with him. She didn't care about sports metaphors, so why was he analyzing his own in the heat of passion? Why had he pulled away?

Lois tried to move back to the position they had been in previously, but Clark wasn't cooperating. What a spoil sport! She inched closer to him and began kissing his neck and moving up towards his mouth.

"Oh my god, I totally forgot," Clark said before Lois's lips caught his mouth, again making him forget how he was going to finish his sentence.

Lois pulled away reluctantly as his words registered. Oh no! Wasn't this how it always started? "Forgot what?"

This couldn't end well. He had that deer in headlights look he always seemed to get whenever he had something he didn't want to tell her.

"Superman."

Why did he have to remember this now? Why had he scheduled something for the night before his birthday? Was he stupid? He didn't want his subconscious to answer that question.

"Superman what?" When he didn't answer, she offered her own suggestions, "A scheduled hostage situation? A forest fire? A Middle Eastern peace summit?" Her voice was edged with skepticism. Clark would leave, and her meticulously planned birthday evening would be ruined. Even worse, their string of evenings without making love would grow to an unbelievable level. Both felt an all-encompassing passion for each other, but they hadn’t been able to act on it in so long. Their separation was becoming painful.

Lois was mad; he knew it. Even though it would sound trite and insufficient to express his pain, he needed to preface everything he said with a profuse apology. "Honey, I am so, so, so sorry." He tried to pull her close again, but she squirmed away. The mood was effectively ruined. Sighing deeply, he cursed his treacherous memory. "I just remembered, Superman promised to umpire a celebrity softball game tonight."

"At 10 pm?" Lois looked at him incredulously, still not believing their night had been ruined so quickly. She wasn't exactly mad; the feeling was more frustration than anything else. On the one day she had so intricately planned the entire evening, Superman got in the way. Did the universe hate her?

Clark sighed loudly. "It's only seven on the West Coast."

Why did he have to remember this right now? He had killed the mood for the entire night -- before he had learned anything Lois's surprise. Why couldn't he have forgotten? Then Lois wouldn't be mad at him now and they would be well into his birthday surprise. But then the Pediatric AIDS Foundation would suffer without Superman at their event. It was a tough choice, one he resented having to make.

The Pediatric AIDS Foundation would have survived if he hadn't volunteered his time. His relationship might not fare as well. He hadn't considered his own needs. Another night of separation might kill him.

"Really, Clark? Umpiring a celebrity softball game?" Emergencies she could understand, but celebrity events? He couldn't *expect* her to sympathize.

"It's for charity." He shrugged, unable to offer any further explanation. "You know I have trouble saying 'no'."

Lois's eyes flashed a spark of anger. "But you can say 'no' to me." The second the words left her mouth, she regretted them. She couldn't compare the two! He wasn't exactly saying 'no' to her. This was a choice between a night alone with his wife and an event that could raise thousands of dollars for an important charity. As much as she wanted her husband at home with her, she knew the charity needed his help. She was selfish for wanting to control him. No, she wasn't! The charity was selfish for taking her husband away from her! She didn't want to control him, but that didn't mean she had to share him!

Clark had backed himself into a corner and he couldn't escape. "No, honey, I mean, of course not. You know I'd rather be here with you, but Superman . . ."

Lois sighed deeply. Such was the peril of being married to Superman; she had to share him with the world. "Just go. Apparently, the charity needs you more than I do tonight."

"I never said that!" He was so stupid, forgetting he'd even made this commitment and then remembering it at the most inopportune time. Hoping she wouldn't resist this time, he reached out to try to bring her close again.

Lois shrugged out of his embrace, forgiving him, but still not wanting to touch him. "Just go, Clark. The whole night is ruined anyway. What's one more night that we're not together?"

Clark sighed loudly. He looked at her, the pain of their intimate drought more than evident. "One more night might kill me. I can't believe it's been eight days, seven hours, nine minutes, and two seconds since we've made love. I can't take another second. I may go insane."

Lois smiled at him slightly. He was obviously just as desperate as she was, counting the seconds since the last time they had been together. "What's another three hours or so," she teased, her light tone clouded by an undertone of desperation.

"Three hours! It sounds like an eternity," Clark moaned.

"Just go. Maybe the game will be over quickly so you can hurry home for your surprise, birthday boy."

Clark groaned deeply; he was going to miss the birthday surprise. It would be at least another night until they would be together. Surely, Lois would be asleep by the time he finally got home. "I don't *want* to go, honey, but Superman . . ."

"*Has* to go," she finished, resigned to the fact that she couldn't make him stay.

"I'll be back soon, honey. I promise." He didn't want to go, but he couldn't back out of a promise Superman had made more than a year ago. Why did he have to be Superman? He and Lois were probably the only couple on earth that had to deal with the husband literally flying off to save the world. If only he were normal, they would be upstairs right now celebrating his birthday in the way she had intended.

Lois nodded slowly. "Very soon?" How long could a softball game take?

Clark leaned down and kissed her softly on the lips. "Wait up?"

Lois half smiled, and whispered, "Always."

"I love you, too."

Even though neither wanted him to leave, Clark slowly got up and spun into his Superman Suit. He kissed her softly on the forehead and then on the lips before he flew out the window, leaving Lois alone . . . again.

Lois watched the window and imagined him flying back in the way he had just left. Maybe he had gotten his days mixed up. Maybe the softball game wasn't today after all.

He hadn't; it was. Clark *always* remembered the right day. Damn Superman and his photographic memory.

The night had been so promising. She had been sure their drought would have ended by the end of the night. It just wasn't meant to be. They were obviously meant to be celibate forever. The fates were always working against them in a deliberate plot to make her crazy.

She had planned to give Clark a birthday to remember for the rest of his life. Dinner had gone by swimmingly. The food had been excellent, and the atmosphere of the restaurant just perfect for a little fooling around. She had planned that part of the evening flawlessly. But that hadn't been the important part of the evening. It had been a little taste of what was to come.

Instead of the romantic birthday evening with her husband dressed in the birthday present she had bought for him, she was now resigned to a night alone with the television, dressed in her fuzzy, flannel pajamas.

to be continued smile

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve