Previously -
Nigel’s suave tones asked, “But sir. What about Toni Taylor. Won’t she, shall we say, ‘spill the beans’ on your giving her the flamethrower weapons the Toasters used?”

Lex shook his head. The action did not move a hair on it. “No, I wouldn't worry about that. Toni Taylor and I have an arrangement. Things haven't worked out exactly the way she hoped but she won't spend much time incarcerated. When she gets out, she knows I'll be properly grateful for her silence.”

“But sir. What shall we do with the weapons?”

“Destroy them. The plans for them, too. Should we ever need to revive the Toaster technology, it'll be easy enough.”

“Yes, sir. I will get to that quickly.” With that, Nigel left the room via the private elevator.

“ I know you will. That's what I pay you for,” Lex said to himself softly after the elevator doors closed. He looked at the LexHarbor model like a proud father, already looking into the future, envisioning the reality.

Chapter 10

Clark Kent sat patiently at the table in an interview room in Metropolis’ Women's Central Jail. It was a small room, but it was to be used only by one accused person at a time, thus affording privacy between lawyer and client, or, in this case, interrogator and client.

Clark looked up as the guard ushered in Toni Taylor, not so stylish now in a jail drab jumpsuit. But she didn’t look intimidated by either Clark or her surroundings. The guard left them and returned to his post outside the door.

“Hi Charlie,” Toni said softly.

“Clark,” he replied firmly.

“Clark,” she acknowledged. “Why are you here?”

“Trying to help you.”

Toni snorted derisively. “Yeah, sure you are.”

Clark leaned forward to her across the table. “Toni, you are in serious trouble. The Toasters burned a large section of the Riverfront to the ground. That makes you responsible for Arson in the First Degree.”

Clark slid a piece of paper over to her so she could read along and then
recited from memory,
“A person is guilty of arson in the first
degree when he or she intentionally damages a building or motor vehicle by causing an explosion or a fire and when (a) such explosion or fire is
caused by an incendiary device propelled, thrown or placed inside or near such building or motor vehicle; or when such explosion or fire is caused by an explosive; or when such explosion or fire either (i) causes serious physical injury to another person other than a participant, or (ii) the explosion or fire was caused with the expectation or receipt of financial advantage or pecuniary profit by the actor; and when (b)
another person who is not a participant in the crime is present in such building or motor vehicle at the time; and (c) the defendant knows that fact or the circumstances are such as to render the presence of such person therein a reasonable possibility.”

“2. As used in this section, "incendiary device" means a breakable container designed to explode or produce uncontained combustion upon
impact, containing flammable liquid and having a wick or a similardevice capable of being ignited.
The Toaster’s flamethrowers certainly qualify.”

Clark continued, “I know we went over this when you were booked at the precinct, but maybe by now it has begun to sink in. Arson in the first degree is a class A-I felony, and although no one died by your hand, you are facing a life sentence in jail.”

Toni looked up from the paper defiantly. “So, do the crime, do the time.”

Sitting back in his seat, Clark regarded her silently. Something was off. She had had such big plans but was willing to spend her life behind bars?

“You know,” he began softly, conversationally, “I was undercover at the Metro Club for something other than your or Johnny’s activities.”

Toni’s eyes narrowed. “I never got a clear idea of who you work for. You said ‘officer of the law,’ and I sort of assumed MPD. But maybe not.”

“Not.” Clark smiled. “Federal Bureau of Investigation.”

Toni’s face changed from surprise to calculation. She was a smart woman and Clark was hoping for a deal.

“Sooo.” Toni drummed her fingers in thought. “Interstate or overseas crime is the FBI bailiwick. But Metro and the Toasters stuff was strictly local. Although I hoped to go bigger.” She paused and then continued, “And eventually legit.”

“You can’t do that behind bars. Even if you don’t get life, you’ll be an old lady when you get out. And that would be a shame.” Clark smiled again.

“What do you need?”

“Where did you get the Toaster’s weapons? You didn’t design and build them yourself. Terrorist weapons areunder my jurisdiction.”

“I can get killed in here, you know. Some people have really long tentacles. If I want to get out of here in one piece, I just can’t blatantly hand information over to you. The Boss has snitches everywhere. Maybe even in this room.”

Clark had checked with his special abilities. There was no surveillance gear of any kind in the room, but she couldn’t know how he knew that. “The Boss?” he asked quietly.

Her hands were now resting on the table in front of her and she made a distinct cutting motion with her right hand. There would be no more discussion about The Boss.

Clark gave a small nod. He understood her fears. Maybe he would even check that she was O.K. from time to time.

She said softly, “The cops cleared out my office, right?”

Clark nodded again.

“In the desk was an invitation to Lex Luthor’s White Orchid Ball at the beginning of next month. Use it and go.”

Whoa. Clark’s eyebrows rose in amazement. Was she handing him Lex? He looked at her questioningly. Toni sat back and looked impassive. “That’s all I have to say. Get the guard, I’m ready to go back.”

*+*+*+*+*+*+

As Clark walked through the front doors of the Daily Planet, he felt the same sense of awe that he had in walking into the FBI Headquarters in Washington, D.C. for the first time. Journalism wasn’t his profession, but he had worked on the Smallville High and KU school papers and wasn’t a bad writer. Lately his writing had been restricted to dry technical reports, but he hoped to change that, someday. Exactly how he hadn’t yet figured out.

He went to the directory by the elevator bank and found the floor for “Perry White, Editor.” Smiling, he got in the car and pushed the button for the floor. It was mid morning and he was alone in the car. He casually pulled down his glasses and looked through the doors to see what was on the other floors as he ascended.

Clark emerged into the Bull Pen area and just stood and looked around. A woman passing from the coffee break area stopped in front of him and said in a throaty voice, “Well, hello there, handsome. Can I help you find something? Me, maybe?”

The attitude and the attire of the woman took Clark aback. The dress was a barely there sundress and it was not summer outside. She extended her hand to him, backside up and arched as if he was supposed to kiss it in the bygone European manner. “I’m Cat Grant, Daily Planet entertainment and personality columnist. No doubt you’ve read my work, Cat’s Corner.”

Yes, indeed he had, but he wasn’t about to tell her what he thought of it to her face. He shook her hand. “Hi, I’m looking for Lois Lane.” He smiled his medium-wattage ingratiating smile.

“Well, she’s not here right now. Out on assignment. There’s her desk over there. Take the guest seat there and wait for her if you want. If you need anything else, let me know.” She patted his chest in a too familiar manner that made him uncomfortable and left to go over to her desk. He noted that fortunately it was a ways away from the one she had pointed out as Lois’. After she had seated herself primly, in a manner in direct contrast to her attire, she fixed Clark with a stare as he still stood by the elevators. He moved down into the pit, found Lois’ desk and sat in the chair beside it. He noticed it was just outside Perry White’s office. That spoke to him of Lois’ status with the paper.

*+*+*+*+*+*+

Outside the Daily Planet, a cab pulled up to disgorge a slight Young Man with a mustache and beard wearing baggy jeans, jeans jacket, a stocking cap pulled low over his eyes, and a tool belt around his waist. He entered the building without hesitation as if familiar with the route.

Clark saw a Young Man exit the elevators and walk toward him and sit down in the desk chair right beside him. Apparently not noticing anyone in the guest chair, he rotated the chair so his back was to Clark, and sat with a tired sigh. He took off his shoes, and began rubbing his feet. He was proceeding to take off his jacket and remove his T-shirt when Clark cleared his throat loudly, then said, “Maybe you want to do that somewhere else?”

Startled, Lois turned around to see Clark in her guest chair. In the process of taking off her cap, she said “Oh, I didn’t see you there.”

Clark grinned. “Yeah, I got that. I see you are still going undercover. Personally, I liked Lola Dane better.”

Lois removed the cap and shook her head to let the hair fall. Clark felt his throat constrict at the sight. She continued her disrobing, fully removing the jacket, unperturbed by his presence. Clark’s eyes widened as he saw her feel her chest through the T-shirt. It was a chest noticeably smaller than he remembered from the Metro Club. She evidently was feeling a terrible tightness. He was beginning to feel one too. She grabbed a pair of scissors off the desk, then lifted up her T-shirt just enough to reveal the bottom of a large Ace Bandage and started to cut. She expertly maneuvered under the T-shirt, cutting away, finally unraveling the bandage and pulling it through the sleeve of the T-shirt. She took a deep breath, sitting back in her chair.

Clark was in awe. He thought Lois looked great in an evening gown, but her unfettered bosom under a plain white T-shirt overwhelmed him. To give himself time to recover, he said, “I like the beard. But the mustache isn't working for me.”

Lois suddenly remembered and touched her face.

“Want me to do it?”

Lois nodded and Clark stood up partially, reaching over and taking the corner of the mustache and then ripping it off, holding it as he sat back down.

“OUCH! Hey,” Lois protested. “I thought you were the undercover expert. That hurt!”

Clark shrugged. “I didn’t have any artificial face hair. Mine comes naturally.”
He stroked his clean shaven jaw, then patted it gently.

“Yeah, rub it in.” Lois said. She saw Perry White come charging out of his office like a bull at a rodeo. Lois quickly grabbed her jacket and put it back on.

Clark blushed as he avidly watched her do it.

“Hey, what’s the commotion?”

Lois demonstrated by pulling off the beard. “OUCH!” Then she rubbed her chin in imitation of Clark a moment before and raised her eyebrow at him. She turned to White and exclaimed “I nailed 'em cold, Chief.” She pulled out a tiny camcorder and pushed “play.”

Lois, in her Young Man get-up, is helping make the arrest of a band of car thieves at the Metropolis pier.

“You’re in the picture, so who took the picture, Lois,” the Chief asked.

“Henderson.”

“Busy boy,” Clark said under his breath.

Perry White turned his attention full on to Clark. “And you are?”

“I’d like to see you in your office, Mr. White.” I didn’t sound like a request, but more like an order. ”Along with Lois.”

Perry straightened up, a little surprised at the stranger’s tone and then waved them both in. “Well, come on in, then.”

Perry walked behind his desk and sat down in his chair, looking at Clark expectatly.

Clark gestured Lois into the far chair and remained standing in front of the desk. He reached in and smoothly took out his identification wallet and flipped it open to the badge, then the ID card. He held it out for Perry to see it clearly, then switched it to his left hand and extended his right to Perry for a handshake. “Clark Kent, Special Agent FBI.”

They shook hands and Perry had an amazed expression on his face. “FBI. Is Lois in trouble? I know she takes risks, but she’s the best darn reporter the Daily….”

Clark held up his right hand to stop Perry’s ringing endorsement of Lois and then sat down next to her, stuffing his ID away in the process. “I know she is, Mr. White. That’s why I’ve come. I would like her help on a case we were just on.”

“A case? On together? When was that?” Perry looked bewildered, as if Lois had done something on her own initiative and it had gotten her into trouble.

Lois spoke up. “The Metro Club. Clark here was undercover as the bartender.”

“You didn’t mention that in your notes or stories.”

She shrugged. “I didn’t know until after it was over. I found out in Henderson’s office. Clark and Henderson are tight.” She held up the index and middle finger entwined together.

“Oh, in that case. If he’s working with Henderson, why that’s…O.K.”

“Don’t get overenthusiastic, Chief, “ Lois commented sardonically.

Perry looked Clark in the eye. “Look, Kent, I'm sure your job is fascinating, but this is the Daily Planet, the greatest newspaper in the world! Our people are dedicated servants of the fourth estate who deal routinely with matters of international significance.”

“You may not be aware of it, Mr. White, but the FBI has overseas offices in more than 50 U.S. embassies. We have a mission in counter-terrorism, counter-intelligence, cyber crime, information technology, security, forensics, training, and criminal programs. We work closely with the NIA. And I would like to utilized Lois’ knowledge and experience in handling this case. In return, she gets a story to write, if she agrees to do this.” He turned to look at Lois. “But I need to brief just Lois for the moment and then it’s her choice to join me or not. You will be informed of details later by Lois at her discretion.”

“O.K., do what you have to do, but the paper gets the exclusive.”

Clark nodded in the affirmative. “Yes, the Daily Planet gets the exclusive.”

As Lois rose to leave his office, Perry pointed the first two fingers on his open hand at her. “Just you be careful, Lois.”

As they left the Editor’s office, Clark turned to Lois and asked. “Where can we talk in private? Your desk is too public.”

“Conference Room.” Lois looked around the edges of the Bull Pen and then pointed. “Over here.”

*+*+*+*+*+*+

Jimmy Olson, the chief’s Chief Gofer was standing by Cat Grant’s desk, watching Lois and Clark walk across the Bull Pen.

“Whose the guy with Lois?”

“I don’t know, he wouldn’t say.” Cat pursed her lips in disapproval of his independent thinking. She hadn’t met a guy she couldn’t seduce out of something. “He was looking for Lois for some strange reason. Guess he found her.” She brightened and looked at Jimmy. “I bet he’s an athlete!”

“Why do you say that.”

“Well, for one he walks like one. Football! That’s it. Maybe he’s the new tight end for the MetJets, here to save their lowly butts!”

*+*+*+*+*+*+

Clark opened the Conference Room door for Lois and they entered, Lois closing the door and both sat at the end of the conference table. “I didn’t think I’d see you so soon, not to mention at the Planet. It’s been what, a week and a half?” Lois said with feigned indifference.

“Yeah, a week and a half. I didn’t mean it to be that long,” he said quietly. “I had a lot of things to do like get a job here and then move to Metropolis. And I see you were busy too.” He gestured at her outfit. “Catching thieves.”

She shrugged and smiled at him. “It’s what we do.”

He smiled back softly. “That it is. I went to see Toni Taylor this morning. She’s in Women’s Central Jail now. She’s taking the fall for somebody else on the Toaster’s weapons issue, but she was afraid to tell me who. All she could do was point me to this.” Clark pulled a large envelope of very expensive stationary from his coat pocket and placed it on the table between them, still keeping his hand on it.

“Lex Luthor’s White Orchid Ball,” Lois breathed. Only Perry and the suits upstairs were going from the Daily Planet.

“You said you were at the Metro Club to get an interview with Lex Luthor. This may be your chance.”

Lois reached eagerly for the ducat. Clark kept his hand on the envelope and raised his index finger, wagging it back and forth in a “No” gesture. “Unh, unh.
There are some conditions.”

“Like what?” Lois challenged.

“Well, for one, we both go. You as my date.” Fascinated, Clark watched the expressions cascade over Lois’ face. Surprise, irritation, puzzlement, then pleasure.

Satisfied, Clark released the envelope to Lois’ grasping fingers and watched her open the luxurious invitation.

“To be clear, what’s in it for me?”

“A one on one interview with Lex Luthor. How you set it up is your call.”

“What’s in it for you?”

“Getting in Lex Luthor’s door and observing him in action. Not to mention getting a date with you.”

“For that, you could just ask, or phone.”

“Good. I’ll remember that.”

“Are Lola and Charlie going or Lois and Clark?”

Shaking his head, “I don’t think Luthor knows me as Charlie. Syble served the drinks, I was invisible. That’s why I was a bartender. You,” he pointed at her very cute nose, “were very visible as Lola Dane.”

“Well, I did have a plan,” Lois defended. If we did do more than sit at a table, I was going to tell him who I was and ask him for an interview. He never showed up again after that one night, though. I wonder why.”

Clark just shrugged, feeling that was the wisest choice rather than giving air to his suspicions.

“Well, I can go as Lois Lane since I’ve been barraging his secretary’s office for an appointment for an interview. Who are you going to be?”

“I could just go as myself.”

“And wave your badge around? I don’t think so. You need a cover story.” She snapped her fingers as an idea hit. She gave him such a thorough once over that he began to blush. She pointed at him with the envelope. “You can be a new hire at the Planet. We’ll get Perry in on it and he can tell the suits if they ask.”

“What? Pretend I’m a member of the vaunted fourth estate?” he joked.

“Don’t worry. I’ll do all the heavy lifting and the writing.”

“Deal.” Clark extended his hand, she took it and shook it. He kept his grip on her hand and leaned closer. “That event is two weeks away. How about we get to know each other a little better first?”

Oh, Lois was tempted, but she shook her head ‘no’ and extracted her hand reluctantly from his. “Nope, I live by three rules: Never get involved in your stories, never let anyone else get there first, and never sleep with anyone you work with. Now, this is business.”

It was going to be a long two weeks, Clark realized. And he hadn’t even gotten near the thought of sleeping with her – yet.
---------
to be finished
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis