Print Thread
A
anonpip Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
A
Please provide comments - good and bad.

We have guests arriving tomorrow and lasting until Sunday evening, so I likely will not be online to reply to feedback before then.

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Beautifully written, Nancy. There were so many little snippets and allusions that were just perfect.

Shows what I know - if Paul and Claude were federal disasters, than Lex was an international one.
That's true...

Now, though, happily ever after seems too far away to count on, and my relationship with Clark has jumped from being the first non-federal disaster to being an intergalactic one.
An intergalactic disaster! Yes indeed!!!

I loved this bit of spunkiness in your portrait of Lois:

Still, when he came and told me that he had a crush on Tabitha now, and by the way, could I return the heart pendant he had gotten me (plastic and clearly gotten out of a vending machine), I was hurt. But I was Lois Lane and even at six, I knew better than to let that show. I returned the heart to Ben as asked, but first I used the cigarette lighter I stole from my mother to melt it until its original shape was unrecognizable.
That's so funny, and I adore six-year-old Lois's spunkiness!

And this was groan-inducingly funny:

We were going to live happily ever after. Well, after we got past the resurgence of Lex, clones, and a psychiatrist who needed to have his license revoked.
But in the end, this fic is a melancholy one, and I feel sorry for Lois, as I have done so many times before.

In my heart, I'm waiting for him to come back and marry me, but my brain knows better. Clark isn't coming back. He's already married to Zara and back among his people. I know what he said when he left, but he grew up on Earth – he hadn't had a chance yet to appreciate what it would be like to be with other Kryptonians. The signs were there, though, even before he decided to go. The way he spoke about them it was clear, he felt an affinity for Krypton and its ways, even if he wasn't conscious of it yet.
This reminds me of one of the most famous stories in the Archive, where Clark does indeed marry Zara, stays on Krypton and has children with her.

This little snippet was astronomically inaccurate:

So, I should probably make some attempt to go to sleep. Well, at least after one more glance out the window to see if I could still see New Krypton.

It was a bright star in the night sky.
The stars are incredibly far away - they are as far away as they have to be to look as faint as they do, given that they are all blazing suns. And the planets that circle them are so faint, since they don't produce their own light, that even the Hubble Telescope can't see them.

Even so you should keep this a part of the story, the assumption that Lois can see New Krypton in the night sky. Because it leads so beautifully into this:

Had Clark arrived there yet? Where on the planet would he be – was he even on the side I could see? Could he look out his window and see Earth? Maybe more to the point – if he could, would he?
Yes, if Clark could see the Earth, would he look? In other words, would he think about his past life on the Earth at all, and would he think about Lois, or would he be all busy and happy adjusting to life on New Krypton?

You shouldn't let us know the answer. According to the show Clark comes back, which means that this Clark probably comes back to this, Lois, too. But there is always the possibility that like that other Clark in that famous story in the Archive, he does indeed decide to stay.

I'm glad that you let us choose the ending, or linger in this sense of melancholy.

Ann

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Awwww. I love this! Definitely worth posting!

More writing while you're tired might be in order wink .

I've been working my way through the series again [am on UW right now] and have plot bunnies multiplying like... well, bunnies...

Love it!
Carol

A
anonpip Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
A
Thanks, Carol and Ann!

I don't have time for a proper reply as we just found out the person stopping by today is planning to stay for dinner, so need to make something to feed her (as opposed to our normal dinners of late which mainly involve finding whatever we can in the refrigerator), but Ann, I wanted to clear this up. I know it's ridiculous that Lois could see New Krypton out her window, but sadly, that's taken directly from the episode. Clark points it out to her and not only is it visible - it's the brightest star in the sky. :rolleyes:

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
So, this is it. I mean, it can’t get any worse than this. And if high school boys are nearly afraid of me, and I won’t consider college boys, newspaper men, or multi-millionaires, whose left? Clearly, the only men to consider would be aliens or heroes here on Earth. But I was engaged to both and now he’s off being a hero in a galaxy far, far away.
This was really funny - and at the same time it was really sad.

It's late at night and I don't have the words to say anything except - Excellent fic!

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
That was nice, strong vignette, Nancy.

I sighed. Was this the price for falling in love with Superman? It wasn’t fair. I hadn’t fallen in love with Superman in the end. I fell in love with Clark Kent – a farm boy from Kansas. How much more humble could you get? How was I supposed to know that my farm boy was from Krypton?

I gave the dot in the sky that was New Krypton another glare before heading to bed.
This and the six-year-old Lois sure show her spunk. Now get over to Boy in Black and give this Lois some of that spunk back spider

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
A
anonpip Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
A
Yay! I'm really glad to hear that this wasn't just a bunch of random words on the page.

Ann - Thanks - I liked the image of young Lois stealing her mom's lighter and slowly melting Ben's plastic heart too much not to include it.

Yes, I felt sorry for Lois, too. I felt sorry for her in the episode as well, which is what led to this little fic.

I don't think I've read the fic where Clark marries Zara and stays on New Krypton. Any chance you recall the name of it?

Carol - Thanks! Well, these days all writing is done while tired, so it won't be hard to do more of it. Not that I've written much since this, so I wouldn't expect anything soon.

IolantheAlias - Thanks!

Michael - Interesting point, Michael. I hadn't even considered how different this Lois is from the one in BiB. That one is getting spunkier, though, so just be patient...

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Ad Astra Per Aspera may be the one she's talking about. Excellent fic but have a whole box of Kleenex nearby. Makes me cry every time...

Top Banana
Top Banana
Nancy,

You ended this in just the right place. We're so trained by our fiction to expect a satisfying resolution of every problem. In real life, sometimes the problem doesn't have a resolution. Or, if it does, we don't know it in advance and we don't know when or how or even if it will eventually get resolved. You did a terrific job of showing the deep pain of Not Knowing the End and Fearing That It Will Suck.

This *is* my happily ever after.
Kerth
Kerth
I loved this.

If this is what you can do when you're tired and sleep-deprived ... wow!

Wonderful story. Lois's longing and sadness came through perfectly.

Corrina.

A
anonpip Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
A
Thanks, HappyGirl and Female Hawk!

HappyGirl - I'm glad this is the right ending. I'm not sure that was skill, so much as luck though. I just sort of stopped writing more than I thought about where the best place to end it was. I'm glad I lucked out and picked a good spot. smile

Female Hawk - I'm glad Lois' emotions came through clearly since that was what drew me to the story. I felt like we saw some of it on the show, but they only touched the surface. A few scenes of her looking sad couldn't really capture everything she must have been feeling.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard