#65098 07/23/09 11:15 AM
C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
Very nice smile .

I've told you in chat some of the things I had little issues with, but overall I loved the bit of backstory.

Now of course you're going to have to tell us more about the weird American who showed up wink . And the story between SuperSon and Mom...

And that's coming... when exactly?

Carol

#65099 07/23/09 11:38 AM
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
hyper hyper hyper

And I'm with Carol on the sequel, prequel, *-equel requests smile

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
#65100 07/23/09 01:30 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Wow.

That was every bit as hauntingly melancholy and beautiful as the first story was. I wish I had to words to tell you how much it moved me.

May your word processor always be blessed by your genius, as we are. Thank you.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#65101 07/23/09 02:08 PM
R
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
R
Hauntingly beautiful. I loved it

robinson
#65102 07/23/09 02:24 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Amen.

This *is* my happily ever after.
#65103 07/23/09 02:39 PM
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
Wow.

Please, write more!

Amber

#65104 07/23/09 05:48 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hey, wait a minute - was the American that came to see Kei's mother years ago (when she had to run out on an emergency) Superman? Was he coming to see her incognito, because he knew or suspected that she was carrying his grandson? Was he checking her out? Did Kei's mother miss her chance of connecting with Superman then? Was that Superman's only investigation? And what was with the visit when Kei was a boy? Was Kei getting x-ray vision then? And why was Superman such a dick?

Actually, you don't have to answer these questions - the stories are wonderful, perfect, and having questions like these only makes the stories better. One has to think and think about it, and use one's imagination.

Poetic and beautiful.

#65105 07/23/09 05:55 PM
C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
Iolan -

Queenie has very limited internet at the moment /grumble/.

Re his attitude during the visit... Superman addressed it some in the letters in Dear Ojisama [did I spell that right?]. I have my own theories on some extenuating circumstances that she refuses to use :p . I *like* them so I pretend they're in there even though she won't /pout/ wink .

Hopes that helps a bit...

Carol

#65106 07/23/09 05:59 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hey Carol - thanks for the info. I do remember in "Dear Ojiisama" that Superman wrote back that at the time, he was distraught over the recent death of his son.

I realize that the stories are perfect as they are. But to satisfy my little niggling ball of curiosity, would it be possible for you to tell some of those extenuating circumstances in the FDK thread? Would that be acceptable to Queenie? Would it mess up the stories?

If you can't, that's ok. There should be some mystery left in the world.

And, something I forgot to put in the previous post: I really like how wearing kimono was used as a thematic element that tied everything together. I'm sure there is a deeper significance to those who are more familiar with Japanese culture, but even I (who know nothing) appreciated some of the significance.

#65107 07/23/09 06:10 PM
C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
I won't say without talking to her and are fairly outrageous as well wink . I may have gone a bit overboard in the 'why was Superman in a particularly bad mood that day' department wink . Of course, I'm evil though so... :p

She may be online tomorrow and if so will point her this direction =D and see what her thoughts are and if she's actually going to write more in this little universe...

#65108 07/23/09 07:42 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Very sweet ending. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
#65109 07/23/09 08:23 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Once again, just lovely.

For me as a skeptic, who don't believe in life after death, it was still absolutely mesmerizing and haunting to read about that ceremony where people dress up in kimono and send a lamp floating down a river to help their dead loved ones reach the heavens. Like young Kei I could almost feel the dead father during those ceremonies. But for Kei himself, his father's spiritual presence disappeared after he and his mother had been to the United States and met a man who spoke harshly to his mother. Afterwards his mother was so angry and disappointed. Maybe she felt that the man she had loved had been taken away from her by that angry man in America?

Why had Clark been so angry at this Japanese woman who had come to him with her son? I'm not surprised. A man like Superman must regularly come across women who claim to have born his love-child. You have to understand that Clark's patience with them would wear thin over time.

Miss Tanaka, however, was probably the first woman ever who claimed to have born Superman's grandson. This must have been extremely painful to Clark. It reminded him of the awful pain of losing his son (who seems to have been Clark's only child, not just his only son), and also it seemed to drag the son's memory in the gutter. Consider, too, how young Kei's own behaviour might have affected the grieving Superman. The young boy adamantly refused to look at the famous hero, even though the boy was supposedly Superman's grandson. On an emotional level, wouldn't Clark feel rejected by a young boy who wouldn't even look at him, even though he was supposedly Clark's own flesh and blood? And given the fact that his own son had never said anything about having a Japanese lover, and that he himself had never heard anything at all about anything like that, and that the purported grandson looked nothing like his own son, why should he believe? Yes, he should have believed, or at least really listened, if he had been more generous, patient, altruistic etcetera etcetera, but this Superman is not a god. He is a man, and Miss Tanaka's visit hurt him.

It was so beautiful that it was Kei's bride who wouldn't give up, who kept writing to Superman, and who finally made him come to the wedding. And in the end, when Kei and Ume sent a lamp floating down the river again, with Clark watching them, Kei's father was there again. And the grandson and the grandfather became real to each other for the first time ever, as if they had been spirits who had become flesh.

Ann

#65110 07/24/09 01:45 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Absolutely lovely story.

I thought the first one was perfect without a sequel. However, the second one adds so much that I can't help hoping for more.

My own theory is that Superman's son ran into the second generation of "can't see the man behind the cape," and that he was the American, but she didn't recognize him when he came in to see her. Kinda like the way Clark was invisible to Lois at first. But Superman's son couldn't help getting involved with her anyway.

#65111 07/24/09 05:39 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
It may be that Clark and his son had a tense relationship to begin with. I have seen at least one story where the son resents the pressure to live up to Clark's image and ethics. If the son then died before those issues were resolved between them, and then this woman shows up with the son's love-child, one could understand how painful that would be for Clark. If he was disappointed in his son to begin with, then now feels guilty for his negative feelings because his son is now dead...you can see how hurting people hurt people and the whole situation snowballs.

Maybe by the time the fiancee shows up Clark has had some time to heal and, by the end, he's able to finally see the truth.

It is remarkable to me that Kei and his fiancee are both able to forgive Clark and welcome him into their family. Perhaps that has something to do with the Japanese culture of reverence for elders. It would not occur to a Japanese grandson to say "You had your chance, now stay out of my life, you jerk."

#65112 07/24/09 07:40 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Woah. eek Guys, I honestly did not expect such a huge reaction; I'm floored. And very,*very* flattered. blush

I'm really enjoying watching you all parse the elements of the story. laugh Some of you hit things right on; others got very close; and still others brought up points *I* hadn't even thought of. And since I don't want to just hold a press conference and explain "This is what happened and here's what it all meant," it makes a good argument for a continuation of some kind. wink

However, since my muse is fickle and has the attention span of a gnat, we'll just have to see what happens. <_<

In the mean time, thank you all *so much* for reading and commenting! ^^ sloppy

~•~
#65113 07/28/09 02:50 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Beautiful, in a very sparse sort of way. You do a great job of explaining the essentials while still maintaining that wistful, haunting style...

I did wonder, though, why "Superman" showed up at the wedding in regular clothes and with his wife (presumably Lois, who would not normally be quiet but probably doesn't know Japanese). Does everyone know that CK=S? I didn't get that impression from the first story. I mean, it's better than showing up in the S-suit and totally stealing the spotlight, but...

One bit that tickled me -- when the aunt said she had places for them to sit and Kei warned her about throwing out his uncles. That was just funny to me. But, thinking it over, it does illustrate that "esteemed Grandfather" was an addition, not replacement, to Kei's family.

I really would like another look at this universe, if your muse will cooperate...

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#65114 07/28/09 06:15 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I did wonder, though, why "Superman" showed up at the wedding in regular clothes and with his wife (presumably Lois, who would not normally be quiet but probably doesn't know Japanese). Does everyone know that CK=S?
My impression from the first story was that Clark was going to tell Kei's fiancée that he is Superman, and that Kei would eventually be told as well--after all, he is family. He said something about contacting her about making arrangements to attend the wedding without causing a scene in one of the letters.

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
#65115 07/28/09 06:50 AM
C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
Queenie has no home internet at the moment and said she wouldn't be on today and wasn't sure when she'd be back so...

DS Dragon hit it on the head. After everything else, I believe [though she never said specifically] that Clark knows they can be trusted - Kei, Mom [Tanaka something [which incidentally is Dean's birth last name]] and fiancee. If they really wanted to, they could have made a huge scene a la whatshername in CotoC and this time it would have been real so it's not like the powers would have disappeared in a couple months like Superman indicated they would when they met [he's assuming there was another lightning incident - wasn't the first time it happened].

They did none of that, choosing instead to keep Kei's identity a secret from the world as a whole - telling only Kei's fiancee and Superman [and the Superman Foundation secretary or whoever who answered the letter addressed to Superman and obviously did not believe it]. They are family and have shown they can be trusted.

At least that's my take on it from my convos with Queenie smile . [even if she didn't take all of my ideas wink ]

#65116 07/28/09 07:27 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I assumed that Kei and his new wife and mom would be told the whole truth because they would now be part of the Kent family as well as vice-versa. Assuming that Kei's powers are not common knowledge, Clark and Lois can be introduced to the other guests as Kei's long-lost grandparents without anyone having to know about the Superman connection.

#65117 02/17/12 09:43 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
After the latest quizes where these were quoted, I had to check these out! Wow. clap Emotional and moving. I'm curious also about Kei's father, who I'm don't remember ever being named in either of the stories. HIS story I hope inspires your muse someday. I look forward to reading it.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard