DISCLAIMER: I claim none of the characters. They are all DC's; a good majority of the characters are from the Superman comics, but there are a few of them from the Supergirl comic series. In short, they're not mine; I'm just borrowing them. I'll return them, I promise!

- - - -

“And that’s how I wound up here,” Linda finished her story. She looked down and noticed she had drunk all of her Buzz Off. She glanced up and saw Mattie and the others looking at her a bit miffed. “What?”

“He got mad, because you left to go get poinsettias?” Mattie asked. “And you’re dating him, because . . . ?”

“Because he’s a sweet person,” Linda answered. She leaned back and looked into her empty cup. “At least, he used to be.” She sighed. “When we first started dating, he would always take to the places I’d never been, and we’d have a really good time. And the first time he kissed me . . . I’ve never had anyone kiss me like that. It was like we connected, or something.” She shook her head. “Now . . . I don’t know what’s happened to us.”

“Linda,” Andy said, “in all honesty, it sounds like he’s not interested in you anymore.”

“Have you tried talking to him?” Dick asked, ignoring Andy’s comment.

Cutter replied, “Kind of hard to do when he's avoiding her.”

Mattie leaned over, giving Linda a smile. “I'm sure he's still interested, just probably hung up on some boy-thing that you, as the woman, have to figure out . . . kiss the booboo . . . and the relationship is back to rights.”

“Well, if I knew what the problem was,” Linda replied, “I’d go fix it. That's what I do: fix things.”

“Does he have any friends you could talk to?“ Cutter asked. “Maybe someone he’s confided in that could give you a clue?”

“Skip that,” Dick jumped in. “You need to corner him and ask flat out what his problem is. If it's a real problem you can work it out; if he refuses to talk, he's not worth it.” He grinned. “In which case . . . my number's listed.” Cutter leaned over and smacked Dick across the back of his head, hard. “Ow! Hey, what was that for?”

“Hey, no hitting on the new girl,” Wally replied. “Not at least until I’ve had my chance.”

Linda couldn’t help but laugh at the antics of the group of friends, in spite of her problems, and she felt better. She leaned back and glanced at a clock on the wall. She had been there for almost an hour. Wide-eyed, she sprang to her feet. “I have to get back to work. I have a story I’m researching with Jimmy, and I haven’t really looked at the information yet. ” As much as she wasn’t looking forward to having Jimmy annoy her, having Perry yell at her was something she liked even less. She smiled. “Thanks for talking with me, guys.”

“No problem,” Mattie replied. “Good luck with Jimmy.”

“Thanks,” Linda said. “And good luck with your studying.” Linda quickly made her way toward the entrance and out of the coffeehouse. The group of friends watched her walk down the street and disappear from view, then they went back to their studying.

- - - -

“Okay,” Perry replied. Lois and Clark had returned about fifteen minutes ago and told Perry everything that Bobby had told them. “You two go down to Australia; find out who this Luthor character is - preferably before anything blows up in the city.”

“You got it,” Clark said. He and Lois turned to leave, but he stopped. “Oh, did Jimmy and Linda find anything out on their story?”

Perry rolled his eyes. “Don’t ask . . . I don't know what's up with those two. Sheesh. They almost remind me of you two - only worse.” Lois and Clark shot each other a look.

“We were never that bad,” Lois replied.

Clark shrugged. “I don't know Lois . . . you're kind of . . . .”

Lois shots him a look. “I am *not* stubborn.”

“Then how'd you know I was going to say that?”

“She's still right, Clark,” Perry interjected. “You never caused Lois to leave my office in tears before.”

Clark’s expression hardened protectively, even though he knew what was going on between Jimmy and Linda. “Jimmy made Linda cry?”

Perry sighed. Clark, don't okay? I don't need blood on the computers. Besides, I've known Olsen longer than you; I’ll be the one to kill him. You two find out about Lex.”

“Yes, sir,” Lois replied. The two walked out of the office and over to their desks, gathering a few things. Lois glanced up and saw her husband just sitting in his chair, looking very upset. She walked over and sat on the edge of his desk. “You know why he’s avoiding her, Clark. He’s just mad at her because she left. I know what he’s going through; I was the same way.” She shrugged. “I've been noticing he's been getting like this for a couple of weeks now.”

“Doesn't make me any less mad at him,” Clark muttered. “Besides, she has no clue that he's mad at her because of that, and I don’t know how to tell her.”

“It's not our place to tell her,” Lois replied. “As much as it hurts to watch, they need to figure things out on their own.” She lowered her voice. “Or maybe it’s time Jimmy knew the truth.”

“That’s up to Linda,” Clark replied.

“It’s up to you too, Clark. If Linda tells him her secret, then he might figure out yours.” She sighed. “It’s a tough choice, I know.”

“Yeah, considering how he’ll know Linda and I both have been lying to him for as long as we’ve known him,” Clark said. He sighed. “Aside from how hurt he’s going to be, we might be giving him something he’s not ready to handle. And if he does knows, then why doesn't he say he knows, huh?”

“Because he might be hurt, and he’s probably waiting to see if you'll trust him enough to come out with it before he confronts both of you.”

Clark sighed. “So, what do we do? I can't stand by and do nothing, if what you say is true.”

“Well, we can't really stay here and do anything, either,” Lois answered. “We have a possible imposter to expose, and we need to get to Australia to do that. If Linda and Jimmy don't figure things out on their by the time we get back, maybe the four of us should have a nice sit-down.”

Clark nodded. He was glad to have her around to deal with Linda, seeing things from a rational point of view that was different than his own, offering insight when needed. “Okay,” he replied, standing up. He glanced over at Linda's desk, just as a deliveryman came over, carrying a bouquet of yellow roses. “Can we help you?”

“Delivery for a Miss Linda Lee,” the deliveryman replied.

Lois said, “She's not here, can I help you?”

“Yeah.” The deliveryman handed a clipboard. “Sign for these.” Lois scribbled her name in the right space before the bouquet was handed to her. He thanked her and left.

“Maybe Jimmy's already working on an apology,” Lois replied, looking at the flowers.

Clark looked a little upset. “Uh, Lois . . . I don't think those are from Jimmy.”

Lois furrowed her eyebrows. “What do you . . . .” She trailed off as she saw the card - a LexCorp emblem on the bottom.

“I think Linda and Jimmy's problems just got worse.” Clark looked up as Linda got off the elevator and headed to her desk. She was in higher spirits, and she noticed the flowers immediately.

“Clark give you flowers again, Lois?” she asked.

“They're not for me, Linda. They're for you.”

“Really?” Linda asked. She looked hopeful as she reached for the card, hoping that Jimmy had sent them as an apology. She saw the card and the handwriting, knowing it wasn’t from Jimmy, and she frowned again. “‘My sincerest apologies for my behavior earlier this morning. Lex.’ Wow, that was nice of him.”

“Nice of who?” Jimmy asked curtly as he came walking up. He narrowed his eyes at the bouquet. “Nice flowers? Secret admirer?”

“No, an apology from Lex,” Linda replied slowly, noticing Jimmy’s expression. She put the flowers on her desk. She wanted to say something, ask Jimmy about why he was mad at her, but she didn’t know what to say. The two reporters could feel the tension between Linda and Jimmy; it was so thick you could cut it with a knife.

Clark cleared his throat. “Uh, Jimmy, Linda, Lois and I are going to be going to Australia to find out if this Lex Luthor II is really who he says he is.”

“You think he’s another imposter?” Jimmy asked.

“Given the Luthor track record,” Lois answered, “I wouldn’t be surprised.”

“I don’t get it,” Linda replied. “Just because his father used to be a horrible person, you think he is?”

“Linda,” Clark said gently, “it’s more complicated than that. If you want we’ll talk it over when we get back.”

“Back?” Jimmy asked.

Lois said, “We’re going to be in Australia, looking into this guy’s background, see if he is who he say he is.”

“Which means,” Clark added, “you two are going to have to find out who the Guardian character is on your own. Think you two can handle it?”

“Sure,” Linda replied, glancing over at Jimmy, who was doing his best to avoid looking at her.

“I’m cool,” Jimmy said, the slight edge in his voice and his eyes betraying his otherwise neutral expression.

“We’ll be back as soon as we can,” Clark replied. He hugged Linda, kissing her on the cheek.

Be careful, Linda said telepathically.

You too, Clark replied. If you need anything, let me know. The cousins pulled apart, and Lois and Clark left Jimmy and Linda, heading for the elevators. Linda watched them get on and the doors close before she turned to Jimmy. Jimmy hadn’t even bothered sticking around and was walking back to his desk. Linda, undaunted by his behavior, grabbed the folder containing the research on the Guardian she had gotten from the archives, took a deep breath, and walked over.

“Jimmy,” she said, “I -”

“Linda, I’m a little busy,” Jimmy interrupted, reaching for some papers from his Inbox. Linda reached over, placing her hand on top of Jimmy’s, pressing lightly down, preventing him from moving. Jimmy tried to pull away, but Linda wasn’t giving. He looked angrily at her, but he stopped struggling.

“Why won’t you work with me?” she asked. “What did I do wrong?”

“Linda, let go of my hand,” Jimmy replied, trying to keep his voice calm. Linda removed her hand, and Jimmy jerked his back as he got to his feet. He turned and walked away.

“Why won’t you talk to me?” the young woman asked loudly, effectively halting the activity in the newsroom. Everyone stared at the two as Jimmy stopped and turned around. Linda was looking at him; hurt and confusion were mixed with frustration. He wanted to fly off the handle, yell at her, tell her exactly what was on his mind, but he couldn’t bring himself to do that to her - not then and there. He cared too much about her to humiliate her in front of everyone, so he used every ounce of restraint he had to clamp his mouth shut.

Linda could see he wanted to say something to her; she could feel the conflict within him, but she didn’t like him keeping quiet. Silence was a bad memory from her days in Argo City; it reminded her of all the times she got into trouble, and the punishment was a miniature form of exile - what she learned on Earth was referred to as the silent treatment. She hated it then, and she was not going to put up with on Earth.

“Fine,” she replied angrily, trying to hold back the tears showing how hurt she was. “You don’t want talk with me, then that’s just fine! I’ll do this story on my own. I don’t need your help.” The folder of research papers still in her hand, she marched through the crowd to the stairwell entrance, pulled the door open, and walked inside, letting the door slam behind her.

Jimmy just watched her go, his hands stuffed in his pockets, his jaw set firmly, his eyes a mixture of emotions. Part of him wanted to go after her, to talk to her, but he couldn’t bring himself to lift his feet, so he just watched her leave.

“Jimmy.” The young photographer turned at the stern voice and saw Perry standing outside his office. “I want a word with you. Now.” Jimmy didn’t say anything, but he walked past his boss and into the office. Perry glanced at the newsroom staffers, who looked over in curiosity. “Back to work. This is a newsroom, not a sports event.” The staffers quickly got back to their work as Perry walked into his office and shut the door behind him.

“What in Sam Hill is the matter with you?!” he all but bellowed at the young man as he walked over to his desk. He didn’t sit down, but he leaned forward, his knuckles resting on the wood top.

“I have no idea what you’re talking about, Chief,” Jimmy replied curtly.

Perry pointed a finger at the young man in a threatening manner, like he was close to putting Jimmy over his knee and tanning him like cheap leather. “Talk.”

Jimmy sighed angrily, his expression unwavering. “It’s personal.”

“Not when it affects my newsroom,” Perry replied. “Now spill it.”

Jimmy took a deep breath, knowing that when Perry got like that it was best just to tell him. “Fine,” he said. “Linda is a liar, okay?”

“Well, you aren’t exactly the pinnacle of truth either, Jimmy,” Perry replied wryly. “Linda told me you lied to her.” His expression softened a bit. “Look, son, what’s really bothering you? I have a feeling it goes deeper than a simple lie.”

Jimmy glanced over, still surprised after all those years that Perry had amazing insight for someone who didn’t know intimately what was going on in other people’s lived. He sighed as he walked over to the upholstered chair and sat down. “Linda’s been ducking out a lot,” he said. “And Clark’s been helping her. Prolly Lois too.” He shrugged. “At the least, they know what’s going on with Linda, and they’re not telling me.” He sighed. “It makes me feel like . . . like there’s a private game between them called ‘Dupe the Kid,’ and I’m that kid.”

Perry’s expression softened when he heard that. As much as he didn’t like to admit it sometimes Clark, Lois, and Jimmy were family to him, and Linda was quickly joining their ranks. He knew how Jimmy considered Clark and Lois to be family to him, and how serious he had started becoming with Linda - more so than with the other half dozen or so girlfriends he had previously dated. Jimmy wouldn’t lie about his family, not like that.

“Jimmy,” he said as he came around and sat on the edge of his desk, looking down at the young photographer, “I see where you’re coming from. Son, anyone in your position would feel the same way you feel right now if the people they cared about did something like this to them.”

“It’s nice to know someone’s still on my side,” Jimmy replied with quiet sarcasm.

“But,” Perry continued, “it doesn’t give you the right to treat Linda the way you have been.”

“I don’t want to be around her right now,” Jimmy said. “I’m mad and hurt and, and confused . . . .”

“If you want to be on your own to work your feelings out, that's fine,” Perry replied, “but you can’t expect anyone to know that if you don’t tell them. Linda has no clue you want to be by yourself. You have to tell her, Jimmy; she’s not a mind reader.”

“So, should I go after her?” Jimmy asked.

“You want my opinion?” Perry asked. “For the time being, I would let her cool off. You go around a smoldering fire too soon, and you’re liable to get burned.” He gave a small smile. “She’ll be back, son.”

“How can you be sure?”

“She walked out of here without her purse.”

- - - -

Linda walked furiously down the sidewalk, pushing through people, holding her folder tightly as she tried - unsuccessfully - to hold back her tears. She was angry, hurt, confused . . .

“Miss Lee, is everything okay?”

Linda stopped and looked toward her right. Leaving a sleek, black limo and approaching her was Lex Luthor II. He was wearing a dark winter coat and gloves over his outfit, and he appeared genuinely concerned about her well being.

“Lex, what are you doing here?” Linda asked, not bothering to hide her surprise at seeing him.

“I was conducting some business affairs nearby,” Lex replied, “and I was on my way back to my offices when I saw you exiting the Daily Planet looking somewhat upset. Is everything okay?”

“I’m fine,” Linda replied, trying to keep her voice steady.

“Uh, huh,” Lex said, not believing her. He reached over and gently dabbed a few tear streaks from her cheeks with his thumbs. “Those were not tears of a woman who is fine. If you were really fine, then you wouldn’t be out here crying without a coat.”

“But I’m -” Linda stopped as she glanced down at her outfit: black turtleneck under a red cashmere sweater with black slacks, and ankle boots, sans her coat. “Not wearing a coat,” she replied slowly. She realized in her anger that she must have left without grabbing it. Or her purse, because she noticed she was missing *it* as well. She sighed. “I’m not having a good day, Lex.”

“Well, I do hope my flowers brought some cheer into it,” Lex replied, smiling charmingly. He shrugged out of his coat and held it up. “Here, you can borrow my coat.”

Linda held up a hand. “No thanks, Lex,” she replied politely but curtly.

“I don’t take no for an answer, Miss Lee,” Lex replied sweetly as he draped the coat over her shoulders. “Now, let’s say we get out of this cold, dreary weather? I can take you anywhere you need to go.” He nodded toward his limo, but he was a little affronted by Linda suddenly laughing softly. “Do I amuse you, Miss Lee?”

“You just sounded like a Visa commercial,” Linda replied, smiling. “And, please, call me Linda. I’m not big on formalities.”

“Well, we don’t have to take the limo,” Lex said. “We can walk to wherever it is you’re heading.” He walked over to his limo as the side window rolled down. Linda didn’t eavesdrop on what Lex said to the driver, but he returned a few moments later. “Everything is squared away.” He held out his arm invitingly. “Shall we, Linda?” In spite of herself Linda took the offered arm, and the two walked slowly down the sidewalk, the limo slowly paced behind them. “So, what could make someone like you teary-eyed, Linda?”

Linda sighed. “Jimmy,” she replied.

“The young man in the newsroom?” Lex asked.

Linda nodded. “We’ve been seeing each other for a while.”

“Ah,” Lex replied. “Doesn’t sound like it’s going pleasant.”

Linda shrugged. “It was, but . . . I’ve noticed that Jimmy’s been avoiding me lately. He won’t even talk to me, he appears to be mad at me, and I have no idea why.” She sighed. “Some friends of mine say he’s losing interest in me. I didn’t really believe them at first, but now I’m thinking they might be right.”

“You look like you could use some Chinese,” Lex said.

“I’m not really hungry right now, thanks,” Linda replied politely.

“Well, then how about taking me up on my earlier offer?”

“Dinner?”

“Yes.”

“Like I said before, Lex, I’m flattered, and if I was feeling better I might say yes, but to be quite honest, I really don’t feel like going out at the moment.”

“We can dine on the terrace at my penthouse,” Lex replied. “Just the two of us. No distractions, no worries, no interruptions, no people.” He gave her another sweet smile. “And I’ll be the perfect gentleman, so you can rest your mind about that.”

Linda smiled up at him, a genuine smile. A complete stranger treating her like a person, not shunning her for any apparent reason. He was sweet, charming, understanding, and really handsome, and he seemed really interested in her. Given her current situation, she’d be a fool to turn him down.

“I would enjoy that, Lex,” she replied.

“Tonight?”

“Sure.”

“Spiffy! I will have my limo pick you up at seven. Is that okay with you?”

Linda nodded, then she noticed they had stopped walking and glanced around to get her bearings. She was a little surprised to find out they were standing outside The Perk o’Latté, the place where she had been heading. “Uh, we’re here.”

“What?” Lex asked, looking a bit confused.

“I was coming here to do some . . . thinking,” Linda answered, nodding toward the coffeehouse.

“Just thinking?” Lex asked, raising his eyebrows slightly.

“And looking through some research,” Linda added, holding up her folder.

“For a story?” Linda nodded. “What is it about?”

Linda smiled apologetically. “Sorry, Lex, but I can’t really reveal that.”

Lex smiled and nodded, understanding. He took a deep breath and let it out. “Well, I have kept my promise.” He gently extracted Linda’s arm from his, but he kept a gentle grip on her hand as he raised it, kissing the back gently. “Until tonight, Linda.” He let go of her hand and turned, heading back to the limo that had parked beside the curb. Linda watched him open the door, get in, and close the door behind him. As the limo pulled away, Linda sighed.

“Wow,” she replied, smiling. Taking a deep breath, she turned and walked into the coffeehouse. She was in such a daze that she didn’t see Mattie until she came up and grabbed her arm.

“And who was that fine piece of man?” Mattie asked, grinning. “Jimmy, by any chance?”

“Jimmy?” Linda almost laughed. She shook her head. “No, that’s not Jimmy, Mattie.” She could feel something odd in the pit of her stomach, but she ignored it; she was in too good of a mood, and nothing was going to sour it.

“So, it didn’t work out, huh?” Mattie looked apologetic. “Or are you seeing him on the sideline?” She smirked. “Miss Mild-Mannered Assistant to the Editor. Either way, we want the details.”

Linda smiled as Mattie led her over to the same couch she had been at earlier. Wally and Andy were there. “Hi,” she replied as she took the space next to Mattie. “Where are Cutter and Dick?”

“They’re doing some research at the computer labs,” Wally replied. “They’ll be here shortly.”

“So, give, already,” Mattie replied. “Who was that guy outside with the limo?”

Linda didn’t really want to get into it too much, but she smiled. “Honestly,” she said, “his name is Lex. Lex Luthor.”

“Lex Luthor is dead,” Mattie replied.

“It’s his son,” Linda said. “He invited me to dinner tonight, and I accepted.”

“How many sons did that man have?” Wally asked.

“What happened to Jimmy?” Andy asked, ignoring Wally’s comment.

“Jimmy is still not speaking to me.”

“Sorry to hear that,” Wally said sincerely.

“Don’t be,” Linda replied. “I got this great guy -”

“Great *rich and cute* guy,” Mattie interrupted, grinning.

“- who treats me like a person and doesn’t ignore me,” Linda continued, smiling at Mattie’s interjection. She shrugged. “What’s the harm in going out, huh?”

“Exactly,” Mattie replied. “No use in staying home while your man does the whole pout thing.”

“Yeah,” Linda replied softly, thinking about Jimmy for a moment, but then she remembered she came there to forget Jimmy and to do some work. She dismissed Jimmy from her mind and opened the research folder.

“What’s that?” Wally asked, noticing the folder.

“Stuff I’m researching for a story,” Linda answered. She glanced up. “Hey, you guys want to give me a hand with this?”

“Sure!” Wally grinned excitedly. The three friends gathered around as Linda began explaining what she was researching.

(End of Chapter 4)

I'm too young and boyish to go to jail. - "Top Copy"

Who's your buddy, huh, who's your pal? - "Tempus Fugitive"

Chief, instead of always standing around watching Lois and Clark, wondering what they're doing, what if we got lives of our own that were a little more interesting? - "And the Answer Is . . ."