DISCLAIMER: I claim none of the characters. They are all DC's; a good majority of the characters are from the Superman comics, but there are a few of them from the Supergirl comic series. In short, they're not mine; I'm just borrowing them. I'll return them, I promise!

- - - -

“And what really gets me are those kids,” Linda said as she and Clark walked up to Linda’s front doors, having spent an hour scouring the city for any signs of the boys or the Guardian. Finding nothing, they returned to Linda’s place, having changed back into their clothes after landing in the back alley. “It’s like that Guardian guy wanted them - and they were scared of him.”

“Well, you gave your information to the police,” Clark said as they walked up the steps. “And we’ve searched the city. There’s nothing more we can do.”

“You think the S.C.U. can handle it where I couldn’t?” Linda asked.

“I think, considering how he was able to take you by surprise,” Clark answered, reaching for the doorknob, “we need to find out more about him. We’ll do that tomorrow at the Planet.” He opened the door, letting his cousin in first before following and shutting the door behind him.

Lois met them with two cups of dark liquid. “No need to stop talking shop,” she replied. “Jimmy left about half an hour ago; he said he had some film that needed to be developed before tomorrow or Perry was going to have his hide.”

Clark gave Lois a questioning look, thinking he knew why Jimmy really left - and it had nothing to do with film developing. Lois shared a knowing look, silently affirming his suspicions, before smiling brightly at Linda.

“So, is everything okay?” she asked as she handed over the mugs. “Here’s some hot cocoa, though it’s not quite hot anymore.” The heroes took the mugs and used their heat vision to bring their cocoa to simmering boils. They sipped their drinks as they walked down the steps to the living room.

“There’s a new costumed person in town,” Clark explained as he and his wife sat on the couch. “Calls himself the Guardian.” Linda walked over to her bedroom and set her mug on her nightstand before walking to her dresser.

“Friend or foe?” Lois asked.

“Considering how he knocked me around a few times,” Linda answered as she pulled a powder blue baby doll t-shirt and a pair of cloud printed shorts, “I’d go with foe.” She spun in a fast circle, quickly changing out of her day clothes into her nightwear. When stopped spinning, her day clothes were in her hand, which she tossed into a nearby hamper. Her hair, having been in a bun all day, was redone in a loose ponytail. She grabbed her mug and made her way back to the living room, standing in front of the coffee table. She quickly crossed her legs, floating at a level she’d be if she was standing, as she drank her cocoa.

“He knocked you around?” Lois asked.

“Well, not so much *he* as did his shield,” Linda clarified. She retold her story for Lois, giving the reporter every detail she could remember.

“Are you okay?” Lois asked when the young woman finished.

“I’ll be better when we find him,” Linda answered, uncrossing her legs, putting her feet back on the floor as she finished her drink. She walked to the kitchen and put her mug in the sink before coming back. “Maybe Jimmy can help us tomorrow, you know, after he finishes getting that film of his developed.”

Clark and Lois shared a glance, deciding not to tell Linda their suspicions about why Jimmy really left. They didn’t want to add further insult to her injuries, especially after her rough night, so they just smiled brightly as they got to their feet, handing their cups to Linda.

“You get some rest,” Clark replied. “You’ve earned it.”

“Actually, that fight kind of energized me,” Linda said. “I thought about taking a spin around the city again. Or I could always go give Jimmy a hand with his developing.”

“No, Linda,” Clark pressed gently. “I think you should probably get some rest. You want to be in top form if you run into this guy again.”

Linda pouted jokingly. “Oh, fine. I’ll get some rest.” She kissed her cousin on the cheek and gave Lois a small hug. After they left, Linda took the cups to the sink and rinsed them out, along with hers, before putting them on the dish rack. She headed to bed, grabbing Clark’s worn-out copy of ‘To Kill A Mockingbird’ from her nightstand. It was Clark’s favorite book, and he leant it to her a couple of weeks ago.

Linda didn’t use her normal reading skills to read that particular book, because she was trying to absorb it and learn about human life in the process. She found her place and floated over her bed, reading about the adventures of Scout Finch. Normally, she would be entranced in the book, but tonight she was just restless. She was going to stay put, like she said she would, but the last thing on her mind was the book. She floated down until she was resting on her bed, put the book back on the nightstand, and then reached for the phone, dialing Jimmy’s number. She knew he was probably at the Planet still, but she wanted to leave him a message, reminding him of their lunch date tomorrow afternoon. She listened to the ringing, then his answering machine picked up.

“Hey . . . you’ve reached Jimmy Olsen. Well, actually, you haven’t, ‘cause I’m not able to take your call. Leave a message.”

“Hi, Jimmy,” Linda smiled. “It’s Linda. Sorry I didn’t get back before you had to leave. I was kind of hoping to talk to you tonight, but I’ll just see you tomorrow at work. Bye.” Linda hung up the phone, unaware that over at his apartment, Jimmy was sitting in his easy chair, staring at the answering machine, looking hurt and angry.

- - - -

North of Metropolis, far below the surface of Mount Curtiss, lay a heavily secured and fortified structure, consisting of an underground complex of tunnels and all forms of rooms, housing research laboratories, private quarters, conference rooms, weapons storage facilities, and surveillance quarters. Countless numbers of men and women, some in regular business clothes, some in laboratory uniforms, and others in brown soldier uniforms with patches on their shoulders displaying a stylized DNA helix, high-tech weapons holstered at their sides. Most of them were asleep or getting ready for sleep, but the nightshift soldiers were making their rounds. Five were standing guard outside five different private quarters, each holding one of the five boys that Supergirl had met earlier that evening, all of them now sound asleep.

In another part of the complex, a middle-aged man with brown hair, brown eyes, dressed in a brown suit, was talking with the costumed figure who called himself Guardian. The Guardian was sitting in a chair, his helmet off, his reddish-brown hair tousled, his face still flushed from fighting Supergirl, but his blue eyes clearly indicated that he was not in a good mood.

“Can’t you keep those kids under better control?” the suited man glared at the Guardian. “Isn’t that what you’re here for?”

“They’re young boys, Westfield,” the Guardian replied. “They can’t be cooped up like this. I can understand why they ran off, and actually, no, I’m not here to baby-sit.”

Westfield shot him a cross look. “You are Project Security Chief, Harper. Your duties are to make sure this facility, and everything associated with it, stays under wraps. That means keeping those boys out of trouble and inside where they belong so they don’t compromise the Project. That also includes not engaging in fights with Supergirl in the middle of Metropolis!”

Harper glared up at Westfield. “She was already talking to the boys by the time I got there! I couldn’t really avoid her if she was already there!”

“Well now we have her and her muscle-headed cousin to worry about. If they find out about us -”

“You worry too much -”

“I am the Director, Guardian,“ Wesfield interrupted. “I was brought in by Washington to be accountable for this project, and I don’t need anyone screwing it up for me. Those boys are a problem - ”

“If you want to avoid the boys being a problem, maybe you should provide them with some constructive activity rather than keeping them cooped up in a cell! They didn’t ask to be what they are. Now if you’ll excuse me, I am very tired, and I want to get some rest.” Grabbing his helmet, Harper stormed out of the room, leaving Westfield to mutter under his breath.

- - - -

The next morning Clark, Lois, and Linda were in the conference room at the Daily Planet. Papers were strewn about the table and a laptop. Clark was on the phone, talking with Inspector Henderson while Lois sifted through the papers and Linda did some researching on the laptop. He hung up a few moments later, then he joined the two women at the table.

“Well, Henderson says the SCU still has no leads as to either the missing boys or that man calling himself the Guardian,” he replied. “Any luck on your ends?”

“No missing children reports matching descriptions of any of the boys Linda saw last night,” Lois answered. “And no indication anywhere in the country or the world of anyone matching the description of the Guardian.”

“And the only thing I’ve been able to find on the Guardian is a reference to a crime-fighter by the same name,” Linda replied. “But the reference was from an article was written in *1943.*” She glanced up, pushing her glasses back against the bridge of her nose. “I guess that means . . . what does that mean?”

“Possibly means we’re dealing with a copy-cat,” Lois replied. “We’ll need to do some more research on this Guardian. Maybe it’ll give us a clue as to who’s decided to resurrect him, so to speak. I guess the place to start is with the microfiche.”

“I’ll get started on it,” Linda replied, jumping into her role as researcher. She stood up as the double doors opened and Jimmy poked his head in. Linda hadn’t seen him all morning and smiled brightly. “Hi.”

Jimmy ignored her, focusing his attention on the two reporters. “Perry wants to see you two.”

Clark and Lois glanced at each other, worriedly, as they got to their feet and followed Jimmy out. Clark looked back at Linda and saw her looking confused by Jimmy’s lack of enthusiasm at seeing her as she followed the two reporters out. Jimmy went back to his desk, and Linda went to hers to gather some stuff up before heading for the archives. She glanced worriedly at Jimmy as he sorted photographs at his desk while Lois and Clark walked to Perry’s office. The door was opened, so they walked in.

Perry was sitting at his desk, looking up at a tall, young man in his early twenties with long, vivid red hair that cascaded around his broad shoulders, and a neatly cropped goatee. He was dressed in tan slacks a white polo shirt, a tan blazer, unbuttoned, clearly showing off his tight gut and muscular build, and brown loafers. He appeared relaxed, but the reporters could see the amusement in his blue eyes as he smiled at their appearance. Lois and Clark both felt a feeling of déjà vu, like they had seen the unidentified man before.

“You wanted to see us?” Lois asked slowly, glancing slowly at her boss, noticing his troubled expression.

“Lois, Clark, I want you to meet . . . uh . . . this is . . . .”

“G’day,” the man replied with a strong Australian accent, extending a hand to Clark. “I’m Lex Luthor.” Clark frowned, not shaking the offered hand, and Lois blanched. Lex smiled widely at their discomfort, but it was in a surprisingly friendly way that didn’t make anyone think he was mocking them. “Perhaps I should have been more specific. I’m Lex Luthor II, the son of the man you’re obviously thinking of.”

Clark and Lois just stared in disbelief. After a few moments Perry cleared his throat to interrupt the uncomfortable silence that fell in his office. “Uh, Mr. Luthor arrived yesterday from Sydney and wanted to acclimate himself to his father’s home city.” He glanced at the reporters, who looked less than impressed.

“You’ll have to forgive us for being skeptical,” Clark replied in a wary tone, “but you’re not exactly the first -”

Lois interrupted with “- or second or third -”

“- person claiming to be Lex Luthor's heir,” Clark finished.

Lex smiled, nodding his head. “So I’ve heard. My company had a bloody helluva time cleaning up after the latest one - Luckabee, if I’m remembering correctly. Have to admit, he and that . . . Mr. Smith, put on quite a convincing show for Metropolis.”

“So, you can see why we’re a bit skeptical,” Lois replied, crossing her arms.

“Perfectly understandable, Miss Lane,” Lex said.

“With all due respect,” Clark continued, his eyes narrowing slightly, “what do you want, Mr. Luthor?”

“On a private matter,” Lex answered, “I’ve come to offer my most humblest apologies on behalf of my father. I was told of the hell he put this city - namely the Daily Planet and you both - through. On a public matter, I want to let the city, and the world, know that LexCorp is back in business, and I am taking over as CEO. And I want you to have the exclusive.”

“That’s a very generous offer, Mr. Luthor,” Perry replied. “I’m sure my reporters will be more than willing to interview you.”

“Uh, could you excuse us for a moment?” Lois asked Lex, smiling.

Lex nodded. “Certainly. I’ll be right outside.” He left the office, shutting the door. Clark and Lois looked over at Perry.

“You can’t be serious!” Clark protested.

“Did you forget everything that happened to us because of the first Lex?” Lois asked. “Not to mention everything with Xavier, Luckabee, and that . . . that troll?”

“Clark, Lois,” Perry held up a hand as he leaned forward, “I know what you’re thinking, but hear me out first.” He glanced out his office windows as Lex stood outside, waiting, then lowered his voice. “I don’t know whether or not this guy’s the genuine article or not. All I do know is that there’s a story here, one way or another. You two have been through your shares of trouble with Luthor and his alleged sons; you are the best people suited for finding out just who this man is. Think you can handle that?”

Clark looked at Lois. “It’s your call, Lois.”

Lois wanted to say no, but a part of her wanted to find out what Lex’s story really was. She sighed. “Fine. But what about the Guardian and those missing children Supergirl dealt with last night?”

“I’ll give that story to Ralph,” Perry replied. “It’s not -”

“Uh, with all due respect,” Clark interrupted as gently as possible. “We already have Linda researching into the story.”

“She can research for Ralph,” Perry said. He gave Clark a look. “Now, Clark, I know she’s your cousin, but she’s not a reporter. She’s a researcher, and she’s my assistant. She assists and researchers. That’s what she was hired to do.”

“What about Jimmy?” Lois asked. Clark shot his wife a look. Lois knew why he did, but she didn’t want to lose that story, and she knew how personal it had become for both Clark and Linda. She also knew that Ralph annoyed Linda, and that she’d rather face Kryptonite than be around him. Besides, she knew it might give Jimmy and Linda a chance to work out their problems. She shot a look back at her husband. Clark, knew her enough never to argue with her when she got that look.

“Jimmy?” Perry asked. “He’s a photographer.”

“But he did write a story for the paper earlier this year,” Lois replied.

“It was about library hours, Lois.”

“But he’s still technically a reporter,” Clark added.

Perry looked up at the two with a wry expression. “Now, this wouldn’t have anything to do with the fact that they happen to be dating, would it?” He didn’t wait for an answer; he saw it in their eyes, and he sighed. “Fine. Olsen will take over your story. You two get to work on that Luthor character. And show him back in.”

“Right on it, Chief,” Lois replied. The two left the office, meeting Lex outside. He brightened at their arrival, and the two reporters smiled in return. “Well, Mr. Luthor, it looks like you have yourself an interview.”

“Bonzer!” Lex exclaimed. He paused, looking a bit sheepish. “I apoloigze Mr. Kent, Miss Lane. I’m still used to using what you would refer to as ‘slang’ from my country. Old habits die hard.”

“Indeed they do,” Clark replied, trying hard not to look menacingly at the young man. If he did, Lex didn’t seem to notice.

“If you’ll excuse me, I need to tee-up with Mr. White,” Lex replied. He nodded politely. “I’ll only be a moment.” He walked back into Perry’s office, leaving the reporters to themselves.

“Well, shall we break the news to Jimmy about his new assignment?” Lois asked, glancing at Jimmy working at his desk, looking less than enthusiastic.

“Only if you tell me what’s going on in that mind of yours about pairing him and Linda together,” Clark answered.

“Maybe spending time together will help them work out their problems,” Lois said. She shrugged. “I kind of know what he’s going through.” The two walked over to Jimmy’s desk. “Hey, Jimmy, you got a moment?”

Jimmy looked up and tried to smile, but it was only half-hearted. “Hey,” he replied, going back to his work. “What’s up?”

“Perry has us covering another story,” Clark answered. “We need someone to cover the one we started working on this morning, and he said you could be the one who covers it.”

“Thanks,” Jimmy replied, looking up with genuine appreciation.

Clark cleared his throat. “Linda will fill you in on everything; she’s been researching for us.” They saw his expression darken slightly. “Jimmy, I know you’re upset about us leaving last night. It was my fault. I should have -”

“No, don’t worry about it, CK,” Jimmy interrupted. “I’ll take care of it.” He nodded toward Perry’s office. “So, who’s the guy?”

“That’s what we’re trying to figure out,” Lois replied. She smiled brightly as Lex came back out. “Is everything okay?”

“Everything’s fine,” Lex replied. “Mr. White sent me out here to talk with his assistant about teeing-up - er, making an appointment - with him for a luncheon in the next few days.” He noticed Jimmy and held out his hand. “I don’t believe I’ve had the pleasure, Mr . . . .”

“Olsen,” Jimmy replied, shaking his hand. “Jimmy Olsen.”

“Lex Luthor II,” Lex replied.

“Uh, yeah, sure,” Jimmy looked less than convinced.

Lex smiled wryly at the reporters. “I think I’m going to have my work cut out for me.” He cleared his throat. “Anyway, about Mr. White’s assistant. Do you know where I might find her?”

Clark looked over as the elevator doors opened and Linda stepped out, holding a small folder full of papers. “Here she comes now,” he said. He smiled as Linda approached, smiling.

“I finished my research,” she said. “I think I have a good start on -”

“Mr. Luthor,” Clark interrupted gently, “this is Mr. White’s assistant - and my cousin - Linda Lee. Linda, this is Lex Luthor II.”

Linda looked puzzled, but Clark shot her a look, telling her to just go along with it. She acknowledged the look, and then smiled at Lex. “Nice to meet you, Mr. Luthor.”

“The pleasure is all mine, Miss Lee,” Lex smiled warmly at her. He didn’t like the fact that the others seemed to hover around him. “If you don’t mind me saying, you are a beautiful young Sheila.” He didn’t see Jimmy and Clark roll their eyes.

“Excuse me?” Linda looked puzzled.

“Woman,” Lex clarified.

Linda smiled, flattered. “Thank you, Mr. Luthor.”

“Lex, please.” He cleared his throat. “Uh, Mr. White sent me to you to make an appointment with him for a luncheon later this week.”

“Okay.” Linda walked over to her desk, putting the folder down as she reached for a large, black appointment book, flipping through it as she sat down. She skimmed the pages for later that week, adjusting her glasses. “Well, the only time Mr. White is available this week is Wednesday at one o’clock.” She looked up. “Is that convenient for you, Lex?”

“That will be fine, my dear. We can have the luncheon at my office.” He cleared his throat. “If I’m being too forward, please stop me, but is there a time you will be available for dinner one evening?”

Linda looked up at him while Clark and Lois raised their eyebrows and Jimmy scowled at Lex before heading back to his desk. Linda noticed and gave a small smile to Lex. “I’m flattered, Lex,” she said, “but I can’t accept your proposal.”

“Bad timing?” Lex asked.

“You could say that,” Linda replied. She glanced past Lex to Jimmy, who sat at his desk, flipping through photos. She looked back at Lex. “I happen to be seeing someone at the moment.”

“It would just be a harmless dinner,” Lex replied.

“Even so, I don’t want anyone to be getting the wrong ideas about that.”

Lex nodded in acceptance. “My apologies, Miss Lee.” He nodded to the two reporters. “I’ll have my offices call you to set up an interview as soon as possible.” He left the groups, passing Jimmy’s desk. No one saw him glance at the photographer, his eyes narrowing, as he headed toward the elevators. It wasn’t until he stepped on and the doors closed that Lois and Clark reacted.

“Well, that’s one trait he apparently shares with his father,” Lois replied wryly. “Assuming he is who he says he is.”

“What’s going on?” Linda asked.

“It’s a long story,” Clark replied. “We’re trying to find out if he is who he says he is.”

“Why wouldn’t he be?” Linda asked as she penciled in the appointment book before closing it.

Clark sighed. “It’s a long story, Linda. We’ll explain it the first chance we have. Right now, you need to worry about finding out about that Guardian character and those boys. That’s going to be your job.”

“And you’ll be working with Jimmy,” Lois asked. “It’s going to be his story while we research Lex.”

“Cool.” Linda’s mood visibly brightened at the prospect of working with her boyfriend. “And Perry said it was okay? I know Jimmy’s busy with his own work.” She saw her cousin and Lois share a look. “What?”

“Nothing,” Lois replied. She patted Linda’s shoulder. “Just do your best, okay?”

“And be careful,” Clark added. He and Lois left, heading for the elevators.

Linda was a bit miffed, but she smiled as she headed over to Jimmy’s desk. “Hey, Jimmy.”

“Hey,” Jimmy replied, not looking up from his ‘work.’

“Lois and Clark said we’re going to be working together.”

“Mmm.”

“I have some stuff that we could go over before heading off to lunch, if you -”

“You know what?” Jimmy interrupted as he looked up. “I’ve got this stuff that I really need to concentrate on right now. I don’t think I’m going to be able to make our lunch date.”

“Oh,” Linda said, clearly disappointed. “Okay.”

“That being the case,” Jimmy added, “why don’t you work on that stuff, and if you find anything let me know, okay?” He turned back to his work.

Linda stood their for a few moments, a little confused. She took a deep breath, then walked over to Perry’s office, knocking on the opened door before entering. “I talked with Lex,” she said. “You are scheduled for a luncheon with him at one o’clock on Wednesday at his offices.”

“Thank you, Linda,” Perry replied. Linda opened her mouth, but quickly closed it. Perry looked up, noticing her wanting to say something else. “What is it, Linda?”

“Sir, if I might be so bold,” Linda replied, “is there anyway that someone else can take over for Jimmy? You know, so he isn’t too burdened with other things while I’m working with him?”

“What in Sam Hill are you talking about?”

“He said that he’s been busy with film developing,” Linda answered. “That’s why he had to leave suddenly last night, and why he’s been so busy this morning.”

Perry’s face looked troubled as the realization set in. “Uh, Linda, honey,” he said gently. “I, uh - Jimmy has been avoiding you lately?”

Linda nodded. “Yes, because he’s been so busy.”

Perry sighed. “Linda, I haven’t give Olsen a lot of work,” he said gently. “There is no film that needs developing, especially nothing on short notice.”

“But he told me that’s why he couldn’t have lunch with me today,” Linda replied. “And why he had to leave last night.” She looked confused.

“Linda, I think he lied to you,” Perry said as gently as he could. He could see the hurt cross Linda’s face. “I’m sorry, honey.”

Tears welled up in Linda’s eyes as she tried not to cry. “I, uh, I have some work to do. Excuse me.” She left the office abruptly, heading for the door to the stairwell, not able to look toward Jimmy, though he didn't notice her leaving anyway. She had a lot of thinking to do about what Perry said to her, and the last place she wanted to be was around a person who had just hurt her more than she thought possible.

(End of Chapter 2)

I'm too young and boyish to go to jail. - "Top Copy"

Who's your buddy, huh, who's your pal? - "Tempus Fugitive"

Chief, instead of always standing around watching Lois and Clark, wondering what they're doing, what if we got lives of our own that were a little more interesting? - "And the Answer Is . . ."