Next Thread
Print Thread
bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Feedback here.

Please forgive the science intermission. I just couldn't resist. smile1

Interesting real science note: If you could move an object 10 meters in 2ms (2/1000 of a second) using super speed, if it is at-rest at the start and end of the trip, the minimum acceleration that the object would have to be subjected to is slightly greater than 1,000,000 Gs. If your super speed is slightly slower and it takes a whole 1/100 of a second, it only has to survive 40,000 Gs.

I didn't invent the idea of high-speed movement by mass/inertia neutralization. I first encountered it in the Lensman books by EE Smith. (But he didn't know about Higgs particles/fields.)

We'll get back to more strictly "story" tomorrow.

Bob

L
Columnist
Columnist
L
Bob,

So happy to see this world return =) Your writing is, as always, superb and I love the entirely plausible scientific theory for Superman's abilities.

When rationalizing the paradoxes of Superman's abilities to myself I always tended to look at a more... psychic and/or telekinetic approach, but I love your rational here.

I'll always remember a point from a special that aired around the time of Superman Returns that talked about exactly what would happen if Superman flew up and caught someone falling (specifically the 'first save' from Superman: The Movie iirc)... the results would not be pretty to say the least.

Sara "Lieta"
Kerth
Kerth
I don't have a particularly scientific mind (and the following comment may prove that), but the force thing made sense.

When Superman stopped Nightfall, I thought he should have had something to push against - but I guess that's not easy to organise in space.

Looking forward to the next part.

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Yay, krypto-sci clap

Great fun, Bob. Great fun.

Bernie takes a second to think before a huge smile lights up his face. He glances in Clark’s direction then looks back at me. “Lois, I understand that Ultra Woman is going to have a new look?”

I guess it’s a good thing I’ve been practicing my control of the heat vision or Clark’s tie would have scorch marks to go along with the loud colors.
Where did he learn this and why is Lois blushing?

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Sara:
I’m ecstatic that you are back. dance Thank you so much for the kind words. I know what you mean about that scene in Superman: The Movie when he catches Lois falling. Higgs neutralization solves that problem. If her mass/inertia was reduced (substantially) by biofield-induced Higgs dampening, the force of him catching her could be the about the same as if he had caught her after only a short drop. In that situation, the forces on Lois would be the same as it looked in the movie.

Corrina:
I’m glad you didn’t find the Superman science too overwhelming. You should see what I remove and never gets published. One version of this chapter actually had the force calculations, but I came to my senses before publishing that version. Interestingly enough, I’m working on a Nightfall story. My version brings science that is much more real to the part of the story relating to the Nightfall intercept. I’m working hard not to have too much science.

Michael:
I’m glad you enjoyed the science. As for Lois and the new suit, here goes: At some point, Clark and Bernie had been talking and Clark mentioned the suit change. When Lois heard Bernie’s question she was irritated that Clark was talking too much about a “family” issue. She also assumed that their discussion might have been along the lines of “Lois worried about fashion” or something similarly unflattering. Looking back, I can see that the scene doesn’t work well as written. I’ll revisit is before I archive the story and if I can’t fix that part I’ll probably take it out.

Bob

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yahoo! A very plausible explanation for the powers. Wow, Bob, this is great!

Clark, to put it bluntly, you grabbed it in the wrong place.”

Clark looks pained now. “Bernie, please get to the point.”

“Clark, the space transport was intended to be lifted in only one way. The mechanical structure was designed to be able to support its mass only if it were lifted at certain strong points. It had to be designed that way to keep the weight as low as possible. You just grabbed it on a convenient surface. It should have collapsed from the mechanical stress as soon as you attempted to lift it.”
This is so true. In real life, it's much harder to make things stand up to physical forces. I am no engineer, but even in casual reading/viewing I've come across some examples of Nature's laws.

One of the finest examples was that film clip of the Tacoma Narrows suspension bridge starting to sway or vibrate in a harmonic motion - and it shook itself apart.

Why do things fall down? Or a better question, is why shouldn't they? The engineers have to design and build them to stand up to trouble, like mechanical stress. "When in doubt, build it stout."

“How about this? Think of a photon and an electron. One is a packet of light energy. The other is a piece of matter. The photon is has a mass of zero and the electron has mass. But at the quantum level, they are both fundamentally packets of energy. The difference... The *big* difference between them, is that the electron has a Higgs interaction and the photon doesn’t. Everything we call matter is only like that because of a Higgs interaction at the subatomic level. A stronger Higgs interaction results in the particle having a greater mass. If there was some way to reduce the Higgs interaction of matter, you would effectively reduce the mass.”
Wow! This is quite understandable to the non-physics newbie. Well done.

Now Clark looks embarrassed. “Bernie, I was Journalism major. I didn’t take much physics.”
I love that line. I think it's because that if Clark took physics, he'd know that what he was doing was impossible. And then he might not be able to do it anymore. (*snicker*)

But now, with your grand new theory, it makes perfect sense! I can see Bernie getting the Nobel Prize for this. It'll take some years, as he said, to investigate it fully, but it will be as profoundly altering to our worldview as the introduction of Einsteinian physics was.

Even if this information stirred up a new interest in Higgs research, I don't see that much will be accomplished within the next fifty years.”
Oh, I don't know. If everyone knows that it's the secret to Superman's powers, that'll kick-start things right now.

Once again, Bob, I'm loving the hard science background info. Yeah, it's expositionary, but you're doing a great job with that too. You mentioned in a previous post that you were leaving out the science bits - don't!

(Or maybe you could put them in a separate appendix for the interested.)

bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Iolan:

I'm glad you enjoyed this part. As I said earlier, it was our exchange that got me thinking about the potential for Higgs field manipulation and the underlying physics of the powers.

What got left out was where I had Bernie walk through the calculations. I didn't cut out any interesting theory, just the math. (such as it was)

Bob

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard