Next Thread
Print Thread
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Fun part, Terry clap

LOL to the Batman references. Is he going to make more of an appearance than this brief cameo?

I can't believe Linda wet herself. You really don't like her, do you? Or maybe you do, otherwise she would have taken a second longer to duck.
PS: Too bad only Lois noticed. Clark should have been there, too devil Not that he would have said anything...

So there is some organized crime fallout in Lois' past? And now she's feeling like she is the only one left to watch out for her sister? Interesting to see that she is actually considering putting music before investigating.

You certainly put a very gritty twist on the whole Metro Club business, didn't you?

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Okay, an interesting part. We get a peak into Lois' motivations, but we are still in the dark as to the origins of the Lane sisters and Lois' own personal ultimate agenda.

Being someone,like Terry, who's been there and done that, maybe I'm putting too much into the band part of the story, but I'm still a bit confused by how it fits into Lois' future.

I've known many show/cover bands who've been quite successful financially being a club band and playing live on the circuit. But I guess I need some more insight as to what the ladies are really after when they are talking about 'making it big'. To me, in that time era, it would mean a recording contract and some professional management and promotion. Cover bands don't get recording contracts.

Now, if, as has been postulated, the band has been slipping in their own songs during their sets
we need to know that. We need to know that the band has aspirations beyond just playing in clubs.

I could easily see where Lois, as a writer, might just be the one who could pen those original songs, but might be reluctant to do so. As, Wanda Detroit, she doesn't really want to do something that will focus excessive attention on the band and especially her. This could be an excellant source of conflict, both internally, and between Lois and Lucy who would probably know that Lois would have the talent.

Funny thing, original songs can also bring more conflict within the band. Just because someone writes and original tune, doesn't necessarily mean its any good.

Coming from a music backround I guess I'd just like to see a little more mention of the band's ulitmate goals and how they will affect Lois and her 'investigator' persona.

And then there's the matter of Clark...

Tank (who has a image of the band as being very Bangles like; a band of good looking women whose harmonies are their trademark)

Top Banana
Top Banana
I've seen a couple of mentions of throwing one or two original songs in the cover sets. I'm assuming that "make it big" means getting a record contract and a professional promoter. That was what the original bassist left the band for in the prologue, right?

I agree that Lois has a big internal conflict here. Does she want to be an investigative reporter or does she want to make it big in music? She's going to have to choose because there is no way anyone without superspeed would have the time to do both at the highest levels. And we know that Lois Lane will never be satisfied with doing something half-way. She's already feeling the strain of trying to do both.

And then there's going to be conflicting pulls from other people; Lucy pulling toward the music track and Clark toward the reporting. Major internal angst coming up.

Poor Linda! She's a Lois Lane wannabe and she just doesn't have what it takes.

And yes, this is definitely a more dangerous Metro Gang than we had on the show. I would like to see them get the best of Lex Luthor before they get taken down themselves. On the show it was always assumed that Lex was the undisputed boss of Metropolis. One gets the feeling that this Toni would like to give him a run for his money. Of course she doesn't have nearly the resources that Lex does. Still, it could make for an interesting rivalry.

Keep it coming!

This *is* my happily ever after.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I love this story and I'll just keep reading to see where it goes . . .

I thought, even though you made her wet her pants, that you are being a lot kinder to Linda King than most fanfic writers have been. At least we get a little insight to her thoughts and some understanding of where she's coming from. I'm starting to feel sorry for her. And does Clark find out about this episode, and does it make him think about bringing a change of clothes?

You hint that Lucy grew up fatherless due to some crime, but doesn't that also apply to Lois? Even if she is older and got to keep her father longer? Is Lois in some sort of denial over this?

Can't wait until the next chapter!

Features Writer
Features Writer
Well, I've just stared this and I find that I'm really enjoying it. Nice work, Terry.

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Thanks for the comments, y'all. Glad you're enjoying it.

Sorry, Michael, no batman cameos. I tried to work one in, I really did, but the Caped Crusader wouldn't come out of the shadows. He does stick his cowl up later, though. A no-prize to the first person who spots him.

I don't like Linda? I thought I was being true to her character as presented in the show. We only saw her that one time, and she while she wasn't a complete vixen, she also wasn't a very nice person.

Lois has some mob-inspired tragedy in her past. There will be a complete revelation before we're through.

Tank, you're right about the band and their career plans. Because they're booked into a club to be the dance engine and to back up Christie, they're contractually banned from playing original tunes, but that doesn't mean they can't write them. And even though you're also right about original songs bringing stress into a group, these ladies are unusual in that they don't care about stuff like that - as long as no one tries to be bigger than the group. (Like Jennifer.)

Lois is using her music to facilitate her investigations. She's also using her investigations to facilitate her music. It's a lifestyle that can't be maintained indefinitely by anyone, except maybe Clark.

And Clark - well, RAFO.

HappyGirl, this Metro Gang may seem more dangerous, but I thought I was only presenting the group the way the show only hinted. They were classic gangsters fronting for Luthor and doing things the Capone way. Toni wasn't trying to reform them, just make them more efficient and less visible.

You're right about the internal angst.

C-mom, good insight about Lois. Yes, she lost her father just like Lucy did. And that's going to come out, too.

Kinder to Linda? Maybe. She's another reason the story grew. She wouldn't stay in the background either, as if this was her chance to explain why she was such a deleted on the show. And her change of clothes might be an inspiration to Clark, if he only knew.

Shayne, thanks for reading. I will state here that your very touching story "Duet" was part of the inspiration for this tale. The original title was "Trio," but it didn't work for the final product for a number of reasons.

Next chapter (probably) Monday evening.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
That bit about the band being contractually forbidden to do original tunes... was that in the story somewhere and I just missed it?

You've explained the band's situation very logically for me, but you've done it in the comments folder. I few lines of dialog, or a short bit of Lois introspection about the band could've gone a long way toward setting the band's place in Lois' situation for me. Maybe you've done that and I just missed it.

I realize that the band is merely a small side sub-plot to provide another facet in Lois' life, but I find that I'm drawn to that more than I probably should be because of my own backroung and the fact that it provides a very differnt vehicle for showing us who Lois Lane is in this world.

Tank (who is wondering what plans Lex has for the band... or will it just be Lois)

E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
I enjoy the way you have drawn out this Toni Taylor much more than in IGaCOY. She doesn't make one big power play, but instead she continually shows Johnny and all of his lietenants that she has what it takes. I love how she is inwardly terrified, but will not allow herself to duck. I also like the descriptions that you draw of the villainy in Gotham, especially the thinly veiled reference to Joker.

As for the unusual arrangement that the band can't play their own music, part of that was spelled out during Johnny's temper tantrum in part 2. He throws a fit because his contract says that they are going to make Christie sound good. (Certainly they can't play their own music very much if Christie is always approving the song list.) And Lois counters by letting him know that he is free to fire them, they'll just be successful someplace else as long as it meets their end goal of having a recording contract. I imagine that by the end of the story all five of the ladies in the Mountaintops will feel stifled.

Elisabeth

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard