Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Feedback here:

Note: I've always been intrigued by the problems with super-speed. I couldn't resist the super-speed shower and the problem with falling water.

Bob

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yeah, bobbart! When they show Clark in the super-speed shower, if you think about it, it doesn't really make sense. What you described seems much more plausible. The water can only come out of the faucet so fast.

It will be many years until Lara gains her invulnerability and until then we need to be careful not to teach dangerous habits.
And they'd better be circumspect on the use of powers around her - she might start blabbing to her day care providers. "Why don't you make the toast with your eyes, like Mommy and Daddy do?"

Why do the good-looking, nice guys always get snapped up by bitchy ice-queens?”

“Be careful. She’s right over there.”

Suddenly I’m sorry that I’ve been eavesdropping.
Yep, Lois - eavesdroppers never hear good about themselves!

I spent years concentrating on being calm, in control and… cautious. Sometimes I think that having to control my heat vision changed my entire personality.”
This is a really important line. Maybe Clark wasn't like that to begin with, but we become the mask we put on. A very good insight, bobbart.

Columnist
Columnist
Hi,

Nice to catch up on reading and leaving some fdk.

I enjoyed the start of this story. It has a lot of potential. smile

I totally agree with Lois that one super hero in the family is perhaps enough ... but I wonder if she'll be able to stick to that idea. Knowing how impulsive Lois can be, I'm not so sure. wink

Looking forward to seeing where you're taking us with this story.

Yours Jenni

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Bob, this is fun and deep at the same time. Wonder if Lois is going to teach her wannabe competition a lesson or if she is eventually going to ignore them...

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Iolan:
You're right. In fact, after reading your comment I realized that I have to consider revising some parts of my story. Lara is only a year old, so she’s not talking to anyone yet. Still, they wouldn’t want to do too much in front of her that will confuse her as she grows up.

I’ve always felt that having to always be so concerned about being in control of all the super abilities would leave a mark on someone. The heat vision is a convenient example of having to be extra careful. If it pops-off on an emotional surge, you would have to learn to handle it most carefully. Especially as a teenager!

Hi Jenni:
I glad you’ve dropped in and taken a look. Ever since I first considered LaC and the possibility that Lois could end up with abilities, I’ve wondered what a married, working mother would do in that situation. I hope my ideas do justice to the situation.

Michael:
Deep… Wow. I’m just hoping for the fun part. smile Lois is going to have to learn to choose when and if to act now that she has these abilities. At least she’s not dealing with them as a teenager.

Thanks for the FDK!
Bob

Kerth
Kerth
This is fascinating.

By giving Lois newly-developed powers, you get a great opportunity for Clark to explain the intricacies of being Superman - the things he had to learn, the control he had to develop, the difficulties the rest of us never even consider.

I love the explanations about how his powers molded his character traits.

bobbart Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Hi Corrina, wave

I knew right from the beginning that this was going to be a very personal and introspective piece. When Lois was Ultra Woman the first time, there wasn't much done in the episode to show her figuring out how to live with the powers. I've always thought that the original UW episode would have felt more real if they could have found a way to show some of that. In part 3 of my First Flights short story collection, I took a shot at some of that by having Clark help Lois learn how to fly. This story provides a much larger forum to explore the ideas of what it would mean to live with powers.

The idea that learning to control all the powers would have shaped Clark's personality just seems to feel right. It's hard enough being a teenager for normal people. All the physical changes and the crazy hormones make that time difficult for everyone. With Clark, he was gaining the powers at the same time. I have to admit that the idea of the the heat vision popping off on emotional surges is something that I um, “borrowed” from the Smallville television show. In any case, Clark has had to be extra careful his whole life to be sure to *always* be in control. When I look at his boy-scout-like personality, it all just seems to fit.

Bob

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard