DISCLAIMER: None of these characters are mine. This story's villian (er, villianess) was loosely based on a villian in the Animated Series called Live Wire. She is not mine, the characters are not mine - just the story idea is mine. Please don't sue! I'm just a poor college student!

- - - -

The weather was sunny and a bit warmer than normal for that time of year, and Jonathan and Martha were both taking full advantage of it to get some outside chores finished. Jonathan was sitting on the front porch steps, hammering some nails into a few loose boards while Martha was fixing some loose shutters with a screwdriver. They both heard a familiar whooshing sound and looked up at Supergirl landed gracefully in the front yard.

“Linda,” Martha said as she put down her tool and left the front porch with her husband. Together they walked over to go greet their adopted daughter. Martha enveloped her in a hug. “Oh, honey, it’s so good to see you.”

Supergirl forced her best smile as she hugged Martha first then Jonathan. “Hi,” she replied. Both parents immediately noticed the façade.

“Linda, what’s wrong?” Jonathan asked.

Before the young woman could reply there was another whooshing sound, and Superman landed among the group, glaring sternly at his cousin. Supergirl’s expression turned sour.

“I do *not* want to talk to you,” she replied.

“That’s too bad, because I want to talk to you,” Superman said.

“Clark, Linda,” Martha looked back and forth between the two heroes, “what’s wrong?” The two immediately started talking together, both trying to tell their story. Jonathan and Martha looked at each other, sharing a knowing look. “I think they’re still fighting.”

Jonathan sighed and shook his head before he raised his hand for silence. Superman and Supergirl noticed and stopped talking. “Okay, okay,” Jonathan said, “one at a time. Clark.”

Superman looked smug and started talking while Supergirl narrowed her eyes and crossed her arms. “Linda nearly got a lot of people killed, because she had to be center of attention.”

“Oh, that is such a lie!” Supergirl exploded. “I was trying to save the people inside the Daily Planet, because that woman from the concert last night was trying to destroy the building! You were the one who was stirring up trouble by getting on my case about doing my job!”

“I was getting on your case, because you were acting irresponsibly,” Superman retorted. “You should have waited. It’s because of you Traci Jones got away, and then to top it off, you start fighting with me.”

“Okay, okay,” Jonathan said loudly. Both heroes fell silent. “I don’t know what is going on, but you’re acting childish.”

“Both of you,” Martha added. She turned to go back into the house. “You should both change and come inside where we can discuss this rationally.” She walked up the front porch steps and into the house.

Superman sighed softly and spun in a circle, changing into long, button-down blue flannel shirt, a pair of jeans, and work boots. He straightened his glasses and, with Jonathan, walked toward the front porch. He glanced over his shoulder and saw Supergirl hadn’t moved, her eyes closed. He and Jonathan stopped.

“Linda, come on,” he said impatiently.

“I’m trying,” Supergirl replied. She squeezed her eyes shut and furrowed her eyebrows, concentrating hard. Nothing happened and, after a few moments, she let her breath out in a ragged gasp and opened her eyes. The two men saw the same fear in her eyes.

“Linda, what’s wrong?” Clark asked, forgetting about their argument for a moment.

“I . . . I can’t change,” the young woman replied softly.

The men shot each other a worried glance. “What do you mean you can’t change?” Clark asked.

“Just what I mean,” Supergirl replied. “I can’t . . . I can’t shape shift. I can’t change anymore.” She looked close to tears.

“Oh, honey,” Jonathan stepped forward and enveloped her in a big bear hug. “Let’s just go inside so we can talk about this. I'm sure some of your clothes are still upstairs. You can change - the old fashioned way - and we'll sit down and figure this all out.” Gently, he guided the young woman up the porch and into the house. Clark followed at a distance, part of him still reeling from his fight with Linda and part of him concerned for her well-being.

(End of Chapter 5)

I'm too young and boyish to go to jail. - "Top Copy"

Who's your buddy, huh, who's your pal? - "Tempus Fugitive"

Chief, instead of always standing around watching Lois and Clark, wondering what they're doing, what if we got lives of our own that were a little more interesting? - "And the Answer Is . . ."