Print Thread
#63874 06/06/09 06:16 AM
A
anonpip Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
A
I'll be online later to respond to feedback to chapter 17, but wanted to get this up before I went back to work. Need to get more things knocked off the "before baby" to-do list. Trying hard to ignore the fact that the "before baby" time could be over any day now given the length of this list...

S
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
S
wow - baby?

on to the story: you got me really scared now, i like maddie (even though only lois should be with clark, but what can you do) and this is creeping me out....

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Originally posted by sarahg:
wow - baby?
anonpip's daughter is due June 27th but was told it may be sooner. See fdk part 14

Framework4
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Loved the advice Martha was giving Clark hyper

Maddie's cousin is so creepy. And what is it with that final line huh

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
Poor Maddie. At least Clark knows how to react this time.

Elisabeth

A
anonpip Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
A
Thank you all for feedback! Sorry I haven't been on more. I really thought I would be, but so far, it's been a crazy week and I wasn't even near a computer most of the last two days. Which means my writing is not coming along as well as I would have liked.

On the other hand, I'm getting closer and closer to having nothing left to do but wait, and now, in a move designed to remind me completely that medicine is more art than science, they are talking about the baby coming late rather than early. This is definitely a good thing as the reason for her coming early was health concerns (nothing serious as long as they got her out soon enough) and so talk of her coming late now is largely a sign that nothing's really wrong with us. She is going to be small, but given that I'm a small person, in and of itself this isn't a big deal, nor is she going to be so small that her size by itself is a problem.

So, maybe I will get this story written beforehand. Although, that definitely requires a lot more writing than has been done so far since I've been off...

Sorry, Sarah. Try not to be too freaked out. Most of the "secret" is out now. The rest is revealed early in chapter 19 which I should get posted later today.

Patrick - See above. Just hoping it ends up not being the 30th. That's my anniversary, so would like the baby to have her own day.

Michael - You consistently seem to worry about my being evil, don't you? Can't recall when the article comes out in the Planet, but overall, Clark is happy with the experience. Remember, as a freshman in college, just having a byline in the DP, even if it's third, is a big deal.

I agree with you on the Clark taking the chair with him when he floats. But there are two things here - you can go by Superman canon and say it just wouldn't happen. For whatever the reason is that Clark always seems to be working just at the edge of his strength to say lift an airplane when he can also lift a space station, maybe this works the same way. Since I think that's silly, I go with the other idea - it's largely mental. Could Clark float with the chair? Of course he could. But holding on to the chair is mostly about him making himself feel heavy - a physical manifestation of his reminding himself not to float. Kind of like getting really angry and wanting to punch something, but just balling your hand into a fist instead and that works. It just helps Clark focus on keeping grounded.

Um... where are these communities where daughters get sold off into marriage in the US? Just curious...

Elisabeth - I think you are right, but while I didn't write it this way, I think it could go the other way. Clark probably hasn't dealt with too many issues like this and may have no idea what he's doing. On the other hand, probably just being there will be enough for Maddie right now.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Good points on the floating and stuff, Nancy smile

Um... where are these communities where daughters get sold off into marriage in the US? Just curious...
Don't they use that idea when portraying polygamist Mormons as antagonist for instance? I'm sure there are more plots that use similar concepts out there huh

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
It wasn't the Mormons, but awhile back there was a strange cult that got a lot of press. A lot of intermarraige in families where girls just entering their teendom were being married off to a few men decades older than them. The families were large and the girls were used. It was sad.

What I was saying about Clark was that this time he wasn't being a jerk, but was actually responding to Maddie. He might not respond perfectly, but he did respond compassionately.

Elisabeth

A
anonpip Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
A
Okay, that's just sad - about the girls being married off to much older guys. Not to sound naive or something, but I have heard about that in other countries (usually ones with tribal cultures), and was aware that sometimes things like that get carried out other places on a small scale, but wasn't aware of anything bigger than that. Well, aside from Lifetime movies...

And yes, Elisabeth, Clark is stepping up and being a good guy here. I think he tends to be a good guy except when he's worried about spilling his secret. The problem is he's currently always worried about that.

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
I have heard of a number of very radical [as in not-mainstream] Mormon groups that are similar.

The Yearning for Zion sect was part of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. That may be the group Elisabeth was talking about. Here is the wiki - that article is from not longer after it happened. Warren Jeffs was also a member of the FCoJCoLDS. Keep in mind, of course, that most Mormons find this as despicable as the rest of us and don't condone that kind of behavior. LDS officially ended polygamy in 1890.

Carol

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard