Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hey, Terry, loving it so far! The details are what makes it great.

I had to look up Mark Knopfler:
Mark Knopfler OBE (born 12 August 1949, Glasgow, Scotland) is a British guitarist, singer, songwriter, record producer and film score composer.

Mark Knopfler is best known as the lead guitarist, vocalist and songwriter for the British rock band Dire Straits, which he co-founded in 1977 with his brother David.
That helped a lot.

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Really well written. The music stuff mostly goes over my head but that's part of the fun--maybe I'll learn something (see note below). And I like the way you've introduced the characters. I can't wait to see where this goes.

(And it would be great if I did learn something, because in spite of being both musically illiterate AND slightly hard of hearing, I am in charge of booking bands for the monthly coffeehouses at the place where I work. Also in charge of writing up publicity, selling tickets, introducing the band, timing the sets and breaks, busing and folding the tables, sweeping the floor, and teaching the other staff how to make coffee. We're a small venue.)

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Mark Knopfler is good. I wonder, is he the pop or rock singer who has had a dinosaur named after him? Knopflerosaurus anyone?

Ann

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
clap Delightful clap

I am really glad to see Lois is still Lois, and Clark working for the Planet.

Delightful restart.

Framework4
Top Banana
Top Banana
Hi Terry wave

Creative set-up. Lots of rich detail. Some initial reactions from my late-night incoherent brain:

- I assumed from the title that the band was going to be a country band or country-rock. Of course that wouldn't work for the Metro Club.

- I wonder if Lucy is in on this undercover free-lance investigative reporter gig?

- I wonder whether this Linda King and Lois know each other?

- This Linda is a sad piece of work. She's in over her head where only Lois Lane belongs. And she knows it, too, which is an interesting bit of self-knowledge.

- Hmmm...is it Linda who's lucky or the guys she chases who get lucky? evil

- This Toni seems to respect Johnny. Is this a more dangerous Taylor family? One with a competent Johnny and loyal Toni? Or is she just putting up a united front for the new help? She doesn't seem like she's looking to reform her mob family; more like recruit Charlie into it, maybe.

- It's interesting that you've made both Linda and Clark rookies. (Assuming that they're still rookies now--I guess that depends on how long ago Linda is remembering.) Usually when we see Clark starting out at the Planet before Lois, he's an established veteran. It's a nice twist that he's not. I'm assuming that they're both still new given that Clark is still fending off Linda's advances and Perry is treating Clark with less deference than I'd expect if Clark is the established star.

- And poor Clark! He's got the wrong partner, and he's miserable! She won't take a hint, she's not into risk taking (which one would think would be good from Clark's POV, but we know he secretly admires Lois's spirit), she can't write, and she can't help him invent Superman. He's just stuck in the right place with the wrong person and he doesn't know it. (Well, he knows Linda's wrong; he just doesn't know there's a right one out there.)

My only suggestion: I like Shamika, but I would think about toning her dialect down a bit. I'm finding it occasionally distracting. (I'm thinking of the 'you be' line in particular. I don't know anyone who actually uses that phrase--maybe you do, though.) I know it's really difficult to get dialect down in writing since we can't hear tone of voice and inflection, but it's sometimes striking a sour note for me. (Not sure I'm doing a good job explaining myself here; take this as a *very* gentle suggestion.)

You've got a real talent for taking familiar characters and elements and putting a twist on them so we don't know what's coming next. (Never saw the Wanda Detroit part coming. smile ) I'm looking forward to seeing where you take it from here. cool

This *is* my happily ever after.
S
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
S
totally rocking this fic, love the characters!

Kerth
Kerth
Nice set-up Terry.

You've got Linda - chasing, but she's never going to catch her prey, Lois - with the opportunity to show some of her lesser known talents, and Clark who, even undercover, hasn't failed to notice 'the dark-haired one on bass'.

Looking forward to seeing where this goes.

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Thanks for the kind comments, y'all!

Iolan, I like Knopfler's playing. I was surprised to see in the music credits for "The Princess Bride" that he was the musical director and had written much of the score. Did you or anyone else get Lucy's comment about going "Pete Townsend" on Christie's head? Pete was the guitarist for The Who and was one of the first to smash his guitar onstage.

C-mom (your full screen name contains an HTML reserved word and the board won't let me write it out), sounds like you have a lot going on in that venue. But that's typical for a small place with a limited budget. Been there, done that, ate the cheap meals and smelled the burnt coffee.

Ann, I have no idea if Mark has a dinosaur named after him! That's the first time I recall hearing anything about it. It would be neat, though.

Happygirl, sorry to trick you with the title. I intended to refer to the band's name, not the style of music. I didn't even think about Alabama until Karen mentioned it in earlier feedback.

I had intended to describe Clark and Linda as rookies at the Planet, not rookies to reporting or journalism. I hope that's clear from now on. If not, I'll go back and see what I can do to fix it.

As for the rest of your questions, RAFO!

Shamika is from Mississippi, and folks down there talk like that. Just because she doesn't use proper grammar, that doesn't mean that she's stupid. Far from it. All of these ladies are intelligent and talented. Besides, this makes it easier to tell when Sham be talking.

And I'm glad Wanda surprised you. More surprises coming up (I hope).

Sarah, glad you're reading! Thanks for commenting.

Female Hawk, thanks for commenting. Nice contrast between Linda and Lois. And yes, Clark can't help but notice Lois no matter the universe, or so it seems.

Next part up in minutes!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
I love your chapter title and the way you fill out the characters as you introduce them. Thought that Toni was very easy on Clark. Did he even mix a drink for her? And she immediately set him up with hot food and a beer. Aw, shucks, ma'am.

Elisabeth

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Terry!

Now I know where you got the Mountaintops lineup from laugh

LOL on the Wanda Detroit bit. Wonder how it is going to play out.

Michael smile1

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard