Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Interesting format. I'm really interested in seeing where this story is going, and I'm hoping it'll be a long one, although with named sections (a prologue and an interlude), how many other parts can there be? At this point we are nowhere near Metropolis and I don't know how you are going to bring Clark in, although hmmmm . . . Colorado is next to Kansas, isn't it? (I know it is--I once drove for 12 hours from Kansas City to Denver in a cargo van with a manual transmission, a faulty starter, no air conditioning, a bad radiator, and spilled chemicals in the back.) My only complaint with your writing is that I want more, more, more! Please post the next section ASAP!

T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Terry, I liked the use of a reporter's articles to give us the 'next step' in the evolution of the band.

I'm a little confused though. When the band members talk about their music and how Lois and Lucy are contributing they only mention cover tunes.

As someone who has played for the public (as have you), we both know that a cover band can enjoy some measure of success by playing in local clubs and parties, but we both also know that good cover bands are plentiful and no one is really going to take notice of a group until they define themselves with their own material.

I look forward to your showing us that development of the band and how they manage the ups and downs of the critics and promoters who will become a part of their musical surroundings.

In the time frame that this story is set the band doesn't have to advantage of using the internet and computer technology to produce their own CDs and promote themselves. They are very much at the mercy of the big record companies during this time.

Can they stay true to themselves?
Will they ever realize their true potential?
And more importantly, will they ever become fabulously rich pop stars?

Looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Tank (who wonders if the band will decide to go punk and Lois will wind up with a purple mohawk)

E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
I would imagine that in the first two weeks in a new band it would be safest to stick to cover tunes, though. The learning curve is just huge to learn a whole new set in such a short time. My musical background is for an entirely different type of music, but I still imagine it would be difficult, especially since they aren't going to want a stack of sheet music on a music stand.

Elisabeth
who wonders if Tank just wants the purple mohawk because it's short

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Sorry you had such an "interesting" journey, cookiesmom. This will be a fairly long story, although it won't come close to a record. I started out trying to keep it short, about 30,000 words all told, but the secondary characters kept agitating for more screen time. Look for 20+ chapters.

Tank, you're right about bands (or soloists) needing to play their own original material to make a big splash in the music scene. Elisabeth had part of the answer when she noted that it's easier to integrate new members into a group with known and popular tunes. Remember also that they were playing at a dance club, a place where they could slip in a few of their own tunes but where the public wants stuff they already know - and the public pays the bills. Plus, I didn't want to puzzle the gentle readers who wouldn't know what the Mountaintops' original material sounds like. For that matter I don't know what it sounds like.

Sorry, no punk. But Lois does have short hair, if only to keep it from getting caught under her bass' shoulder strap.

Elisabeth, you're right about not wanting stacks of music on stands. Pop and rock bands are all about feel and passion - to the listening public, anyway - and it's hard to show off while playing and reading a chord chart at the same time. Don't worry, they will have some original tunes, but unfortunately we won't get to hear them.

Next chapter up soon. Let me know what you think!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard