Friends or Lovers
Folc4evernaday
Part 8

Lois closed the door to her apartment behind her and looked around the hallway, suspiciously. After making sure neither Clark nor Scardino were lurking around, she made her exit. The cold air hit her face with force as she began running. She had no direction and no destination.

The tears came from nowhere but once they formed she was unable to stop them from flowing. She came around the corner and found herself at Whispering Pines Cemetery. She wiped the tears from her eyes in anguish. She really didn’t want to even think about her and Clark’s investigation right now. Thinking about the investigation just brought back the memories of Mayson’s death and her own feelings of guilt.

The night of her and Clark’s first kiss had become bittersweet due to Mayson’s death. Clark hadn’t been able to get to Mayson in time because he had been preoccupied with their kiss. Their kiss had been … amazing. The memory of it was seared into her mind along with every other kiss and caress they had shared these past few months.

The truth was she didn’t know what it was that she wanted. She knew she had loved both Clark and Superman as separate beings, but she was unaccustomed to merging the two together. Things Clark had said or done were things Superman had done as well. Clark had faked his death.
Superman had made her think he was dead. Clark had been the one to turn her down all those times she had thrown herself at Superman. Superman had sent her on a wild goose chase and scooped her. Did she want to try and figure out how to fix her relationship with Clark or did she just want to go back to being friends? He had said he would support her no matter what she decided.

What was that comment about Dan earlier? Was he jealous? There was nothing between her and Dan. Sure, she found him somewhat attractive but he was nowhere near as attractive as Clark. He was nothing compared to Clark …

Lois sighed in self-pity. “This is your fault, Mayson. I would never have let him know how I felt if you hadn’t come along,” she muttered under her breath.

She gasped as she turned the corner in the cemetery. There was Superman standing over Mayson Drake’s grave with a solemn look on his face and tears in his eyes. She held her breath as she inched forward slowly, trying to get a better view.

“I am so sorry,” she heard him say. “You never deserved this.” Lois’ breath caught as she heard the catch in his voice. She had never seen Clark or Superman like this, ever. He was vulnerable. He was emotional. He was crying. Feeling like an intruder she backed away and headed toward the exit of the cemetery.

Lois opened the door to her apartment and locked the many locks behind her. What was she going to do? She owed Clark an apology. That was for sure. While trying to mend her broken heart and heal her wounded pride, she had lost sight of the most important thing: Clark. She hadn’t thought of his feelings at all. She had been too busy trying to prove she hadn’t lost her edge; she had just pushed him aside and ignored him completely.

She hadn’t done that since her engagement to Lex. Clark had warned her of Lex’s criminal activities, but she hadn’t listened. She had ignored his pleas for her to stay away from Lex and had ended up almost marrying the man. When the truth of all of Lex’s dealings in the criminal underworld came to light, Clark had been her rock. He had not once said ‘I told you so’. He had been supportive. He had been her friend.

It couldn’t have been easy for him to listen to her declare her love for Superman when she had just told him earlier that she didn’t have those feelings for him.

“I’ve been such an idiot,” she muttered to herself.

“Lois?”

She jumped up with a start when she saw Clark floating outside her bedroom window.

“Clark! You — you scared me.”

“I — I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to startle you.”

“No, it’s okay.” She began to straighten up her living room out of nervous habit. “Come on in.”

He stepped into her apartment and spun back into the business suit he had been wearing earlier that day. She looked on in awe. “Wow. Where do you keep the suit?”

“I can’t tell you all my secrets. Where would the fun in that be?” He winked at her and then took a seat on the couch next to her. “I’m really sorry about the way that I left things. I had no right to blow up at you like that.”

“No, actually, you did,” Lois conceded thoughtfully. “Ever since I confronted you about Superman I haven’t been clear with you about what I want. You’re right. It’s not fair to me or you. I shouldn’t have forced Dan on you like that. You may be Superman, but you’re also my partner and we’re supposed to be a team.”

Clark smiled. She still thought of them as a team. This was a good sign. “Always,” he said wistfully. “Look, I saw you at the cemetery earlier.”

“Oh.” Lois grew quiet. “I wasn’t trying to eavesdrop. I swear. I just went for a run.”

“No, it’s okay. I know you weren’t eavesdropping or purposefully trying to spy.”

“I’m sorry if I invaded your space, Clark, but I’m not sorry I was there. I never realized how much you were hurting. I’m so sorry.” Lois began to cry all over again. “I am a horrible friend. Someone just died in your arms a few days ago and I’m over here creating more drama … “ She stopped a moment, realizing Clark was watching her with a smirk on his face.

“What?”

“Nothing. It’s just kind of funny when you go off on your tangents.”
Lois stared at him in awe. He was the most powerful being on the planet yet he was captivated by her. What was so special about her that drew him to her so strongly?

“Why were you glad you were there?”

“Because, being there, watching you, it made me realize how vulnerable you really are. I mean, you put on a façade for the rest of the world. The invincible hero, but you are still vulnerable, especially here.” She patted his chest.

“Lois … “ The emotion in his voice was threatening to overwhelm him.

“Clark, I’m an idiot. I claimed to love you when I really didn’t even know you. I threw myself at you shamelessly and meanwhile I treated you — the real you, my best friend — so shabbily … how can you even stand to be around me?”

“Simple. I love you. No matter how irritating you can be I still love you, Lois.”

“Oh, Clark.” She stroked his cheek with her thumb. “I do love you, too. It just scares me.”

“Why?”

“Because you’re the one person that I thought I couldn’t have. You were safe. Now being in a relationship with you just seems surreal to me.”

“What do you want, Lois?”

“I want to be happy.”

“Then give us a chance,” he said solemnly. “Give me a chance. We have been doing this dance since I first asked you out, a month ago. Everything in the world seems to be getting in our way. I love you, Lois, and I want to be with you. The question is, do you want to be with me?”

Across town, Albie Swinson was pacing around the quarters of Stanley Gables’ estate. What to do? He wanted to go after all of Metropolis? The man was mad. Now, going after STAR Labs, he understood. He understood Gables’ feelings of resentment towards STAR Labs, but now he wanted to attack ALL of Metropolis. What was he going to do? He couldn’t allow this to continue.

TBC...

Last edited by folc4evernaday; 10/28/16 09:08 AM. Reason: Update

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube