OP Offline
Features Writer
A
Comments?

A
Columnist
Columnist
A
Sorry I have been missing from the fdk folder lately...

I love how this story is progressing. You did a great job of making Steve into a person instead of just a jerk in this chapter.

And Lois...I would love to see this year from Lois's perspective. Not that I expect you to write that or anything, but Clark just has no idea what being friends with Lois really means.

Can't wait for more!
Amber

BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Although I can usually do without the secondary (and even tertiary) characters, I liked what you did with Steve. But this was my favorite:
There was a hardness to Lois’ eyes I couldn’t completely understand when she replied, “I need to have confidence in myself. No one else does.” With that, she turned away and walked quickly towards her dorm.
Clark seems to be a bit more obtuse than I'm used to (but then again, he's a lot younger here), but it really seems like Lois is opening up to him. She never would have made a vulnerable statement like that if she didn't trust Clark.

The way things go with Lois and Clark, I can see them either picking the same topic for their investigation (and therefore working together) or Lois will pick the Boy in Black as her topic. Either way, it should get very interesting.

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
I agree with BJ, that Lois opened up to Clark a little bit here, but it felt to me as if she did it out of anger rather than friendship. I think she has parental issues in this universe just she has them in almost every other universe. And given the "relationship with Dad" theme between Clark and Steve, it makes me think that Sam is either disappointed that she didn't choose medicine or he's not involved in her life.

I wonder if - sorry, when - Clark will figure out what's missing in his relationship with Maddie. I think he'll soon realize that this is not a "forever" kind of love between them. They might be good friends, casual friends, or something in between, but this isn't permanent. He needs someone like Lois to goad him into investigating, and she needs someone like Clark to add to her writing. Hmm. I wonder if they might submit a co-authored article for the professor's assignment? Lois could lead the investigation portion and Clark could lead the actual writing portion. That would work, right?

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
/shakes head sadly/

Nancy, I really am starting to believe there will be a ginormous train wreck somewhere down the road. You said it yourself, their characters are still forming, so I'd say pretty much anything is possible that wouldn't have been with the more mature versions.

So here's my extrapolation.

Lois and Paul will hook up, or maybe they already have since Lois is slightly less combative. She's going to accept his cheating for a while and it will silently crush her. Eventually, Clark will have to comfort Lois and then one thing leads to another and this leads to Star's vision of LnC in an compromising position until Maddie comes into the room.

On a happier note. Is Clark going to investigate the circumstances of the 8-12 y/o boy having 2000 bucks of drug debt? Would make for a nice, strong human interest piece. Might even cost Lois her first recommendation. She might still get the second one and finally Perry will have to flip a coin and it will end up standing on the side :p

Oh, and Lois will be investigating the Boy in Black after he helps out too much in Metropolis wink

Michael hyper

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
A
anonpip Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
A
Okay, I'm not really awake, but have decided to post anyway as the fact that I only managed to get three hours sleep tonight means I'm probably much more coherent now than I will be this evening after work. I have to say - I really miss the days pre-pregnancy where insomnia was annoying, but I could deal with it. At least for now, loss of a couple of hours of sleep renders me stupid and grumpy. Should be a fun day at work!

amberlea - Thanks! I am trying to make everyone in this story real. I really want Clark's roommate to be annoying as I see that as a very real college experience, but I don't want him to be the devil incarnate. Who knows, maybe he'll calm down now? huh

I agree, I always have ideas when I write first person POV on what the story would be like from the other side. Doubt I'll write this from Lois' perspective, though. I think we'll see enough of what she's thinking that it wouldn't be that interesting.

Thanks, BJ! Yes, Clark is definitely more obtuse than in canon. It is largely the younger thing and also, relatedly, the less life experience. Canon Clark has traveled the world by the time he meets Lois and has likely met all kinds of people. He's a good judge of character and so combined with his experience, can quickly size Lois up. This Clark lacks that experience, that maturity, and honestly some of that character judgment - he's too wrapped up in who he is to be able to see others that clearly.

Terry - I agree with you - I saw Lois opening up here as she was upset and vulnerable more than that she decided to trust Clark. It won't always be that way, but right now, Lois and Clark are just starting to be friends and she trusts him as much as she trusts anyone, but that's not very much.

You'll know when Clark realizes what's missing in his relationship with Maddie, but I suspect it's not what you (or probably many others) think and it won't send him running into Lois' arms just yet.

Michael - Train wreck? Where? Are you sure?

I think you're right, but it's a long way away yet - as in nothing written yet really qualifies as a train wreck - well not a ginormous one anyway. laugh

I wish (and I mean this - already emailed Carol and said so) I had thought of Clark using the boy for his classroom assignment. And I may steal the idea for his next assignment as I haven't thought of what it will be yet. But this assignment is already written and weaves through too many chapters for me to want to take it out and use it later. Similar to what's missing in Clark's relationship with Maddie, you'll know it when you see it. It basically comes up and hits Clark over the head.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
blush feel free too smile

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard