DISCLAIMER: None of these characters are mine. Most of these characters are from the L&C show, but Supergirl is a combination of the two essenses (Pre-Crisis and Post-Crisis), and Zod, Ursa, and Non are from the second Superman movie. I'm not making any money off of this story, so sueing me would be pointless.

- - - -

Martha brought a warm, wet washcloth from the kitchen to the living room, where Kara was laying on the couch. The color had returned to her cheeks and eyes, and she was breathing deeply. Clark was sitting on the edge of the couch beside her, watching her. He took the offered washcloth from his mother and carefully put it on the young woman's forehead. Martha and Jonathan stood behind the couch, just watching.

“Now I know why you didn't want to tell me what your plan was,” Clark said quietly.

“I'm sorry,” Kara whispered. “I didn't think you'd let me go through with it.”

“No, I wouldn't.” He sighed, looking very hurt. “You could have gotten yourself killed, Kara. Why did you do it?”

“Because I had to; it was the only way to get them back to where they belonged.” She looked away from him, ashamed. “I'm sorry, Clark. I know you must hate me now.”

“Kara, look at me.” She slowly turned her head to him. “You saved Metropolis, and possibly the world. I don't hate you for that. I'm very proud of you.”

Kara couldn't believe him, even though she really wanted to. “Oh, come, on, Clark. Your life was probably all nice and calm before I came into the picture. Ever since I got here I've been nothing but trouble. And to top it off, I nearly kill myself. What is there to be proud of in that?”

“Because you acted selflessly. Granted, you nearly *did* kill yourself, but you did it because you didn't want anyone else to suffer the way you did. You were willing to sacrifice everything for people you didn't even know. *That's* why I'm proud of you.”

“Really?”

Clark nodded. “Yes, really - you saved a lot of people, and proved to be a very valuable person.” Kara smiled weakly, blushing a little.

“Which is about forty percent of why, if you ever, and I mean *ever* go behind my back and do something so dangerous again, I will personally kick your little Kryptonian rear end into a whole new solar system,” Clark continued smoothly, unblinking, looking totally sincere. Kara's eyes widened, and she shivered slightly; in all the places she'd been, over all the distance she'd covered, she'd never encountered anything as powerful as a man's honest possessiveness toward anyone he felt compelled to protect.

Kara blinked a few times, trying to digest this new revelation. She didn't know her cousin very well, but like his parents, she could tell that his relief was warring with genuine anger. She didn't feel afraid; this was a different kind of intimidation. She was sure that she didn't ever want to see that look in his eyes again, partially because she cared about him so much. She met his eyes with hers, her tone quiet and neutral. “And what would be the other sixty percent of your reason?”

Clark held her gaze without blinking, his voice low, firm, and calm. “That I love you too much to lose you.” He took Kara's hand again, his low voice tinged with affection. “Especially since I just got you. I don't know what you've got going on, but I plan to keep you."

“Really?” Kara's eyes were wide and her heart was racing as though she'd just found something she'd lost a lifetime ago.

Clark smiled slightly, holding her left hand in both of his and tucking them all under his chin. “Really.” He plunged on, his voice tinged with awe.

“Kara, I don't know if you really know this, but you're amazing. And it has nothing to do with powers or globes or where you were born. It's you, Kara, it's who you are. You're smart, you're beautiful,” he gave a small half-chuckle out of wonder, “and you're mine. You're my family, Kara, a piece of my heritage, a piece of my parents," he placed their hands over his heart, “a piece of me. How can I not love you?”

Kara smiled as she wrapped her arms around her cousin's neck, and hugged him tightly. She closed her eyes as she felt his arms envelope her, letting her know that she was truly loved and safe. “So, now what?” she asked as they pulled away. “Zod is gone. Where does that leave me now?”

“Well,” Clark replied, “we have a couple of options. One, you can stay here and live in Smallville with my folks. I don't think that's going to be the best option, though.”

“Why not?” Martha asked. “We would love to have her stay with us.”

“Oh, I know that, Mom,” Clark said. “She can stay here, if she wants to, but I just thought it would be easier for Supergirl if she lived in the same city as her cousin.”

Kara just stared at him. “You want me to work with you?”

Clark smiled. “Of course I do. You've certainly earned the right. Think of all the people we'll be able to help, now that there's two of us.”

“But where would I stay when I'm not Supergirl?”

“Well, I'm sure I'll have no problem convincing Lois, but you're more than welcomed to stay with us - as my cousin, Linda Lee.”

Kara grinned and hugged Clark tightly. “Thank you,” she whispered. Clark just chuckled as he held his cousin. After a few moments Kara pulled away, excited. “Can we leave tonight?” She glanced up at the Kents. “Um, not that I don't enjoy all that you've done for me.”

“Oh, it's perfectly okay, dear,” Martha smiled, putting a hand on her shoulder. "But perhaps you should stay here the night and rest. You've had a busy day." Kara nodded.

“But we want you to know that you are welcome to come here any time you like,” Jonathan added. "You're family." Kara all but leapt from her spot and went to hug her both Martha and Jonathan as tightly as she dared. Both Kents hugged their adoptive daughter.

“Thank you,” she whispered.

“Well, now we have just one more problem to cover,” Clark said. “Three, actually.”

“What's that?” Jonathan asked.

“Well, first of all, what are we going to do about Kara's ship?”

“It's of no use to me anymore,” Kara replied.

“I know, but if it were to fall into the wrong hands, it could be dangerous.”

“Well, I think I can try to contact Lady Zara,” Kara said. “She's probably on her way here now; before my father put me in the ship, he sent a distress signal to Zara, alerting her of Zod's arrival and what he was planning to do with me. If and when Zara comes, we can let her have the ship; they'll be able to deal with it properly.”

“Okay,” Clark nodded. “Secondly, I want you to visit a scientist at S.T.A.R. Labs in Metropolis.”

“Why?”

“Well, because I think it would be best to know more about your other powers, just to make sure there are no harmful effects. He even might be able to figure out exactly how you got them in the first place. He's worked with Superman in the past on many occasions, and I trust him.”

“Does he know Superman is Clark Kent?”

“No, so you'll have to go as Supergirl, which brings me to the third thing I wanted to discuss. It's your outfit.”

Kara looked at her clothes. “What's wrong with it”

“Well,” Clark said slowly. He wasn't sure exactly what to say. Martha, wise to her son's reasoning, realized what he was getting at.

“I think what Clark is saying is that you need a different outfit to wear as Supergirl, just like Clark has a different outfit he wears as Superman.”

“Exactly,” Clark nodded.

Martha's face brightened. “And I have just the outfit in mind.” Taking Kara by her hands, she led her upstairs. “Now, first of all, I'll need to get your measurements, then we'll . . .” Jonathan and Clark just glanced at each other, grinning, as Martha's voice trailed off.

“I'm going to call Lois and tell her what's going on,” Clark said, getting to his feet. He walked to the phone and dialed the Daily Planet, knowing that his wife was still busy there writing. He waited, then smiled when she answered. “Lois, it's me . . . yes, she's fine, don't worry. In fact, there's something we need to talk about that concerns her.”

(End of Chapter 14)

I'm too young and boyish to go to jail. - "Top Copy"

Who's your buddy, huh, who's your pal? - "Tempus Fugitive"

Chief, instead of always standing around watching Lois and Clark, wondering what they're doing, what if we got lives of our own that were a little more interesting? - "And the Answer Is . . ."