DISCLAIMER: None of these characters are mine. Most of these characters are from the L&C show, but Supergirl is a combination of the two essenses (Pre-Crisis and Post-Crisis), and Zod, Ursa, and Non are from the second Superman movie. I'm not making any money off of this story, so sueing me would be pointless.

- - - -

A few street lights were lit outside the Daily Planet as Zod, Ursa, and Non landed in the middle of the street. They looked around for any site of their enemies, but found nothing.

“They're cowards,” Zod sneered. “They can't even show their faces.”

“Think again, Zod. The trio turned around and saw Superman standing behind them, his arms folded across his chest.

“And where is the young pup?” Zod asked. “Is she scared to face me herself?”

“Don't flatter yourself.” The trio whirled around and saw Kara standing behind them. Before they could react, she thrust her arms out in front of her. The force struck the Kryptonians, sending them flying over Superman's head. She was really pleased that she didn't even stumbled backwards. She calmly walked up beside Superman as the trio slowly got to their feet, trying to catch their breaths.

Even though it was night, there were still a few spectators, mainly from the Daily Planet. After telling Perry and Jimmy that she had spoke with Superman, that he had a plan, Perry had ordered both Lois and Jimmy to go cover it, but he realized that he wanted to see what was going to happen for himself, so he ended up tagging along. Now, the three of them, plus a few other spectators, were gathered outside, standing under the Daily Planet's alcove, watching the battle while Jimmy snapped photographs.

“Your flashy powers won't save you from defeat!” Zod wheezed. “I *will* rule this planet! I *will* win!”

“No,” Kara said calmly. She reached into a pocket on her tunic and pulled out her globe. She held it in her left hand at eye level, staring expressionlessly at it. The globe started glowing until it was an intense white. “You murderous rampage ends here, Zod. I'm giving you the fate you and your two followers deserve.” A few moments later, a small circle of light appeared behind the Kryptonian trio. They turned their heads as it grew to the size of a small compact car. “I'm returning you to the Phantom Zone!”

Superman watched, wide-eyed as the aura snaked up Kara's arm and around her body. He suddenly realized what she was doing as the conversation with her earlier that day came to his thoughts: If I tried to channel the energy without the proper training, it could be fatal.

“Kara, don't do it!” he shouted as he reached out to grab her arm. As soon as his hand touched the aura, it sent sparks flying before Superman was thrown back onto the sidewalk. He lay on his back, stunned for a moment, before he slowly sat up. He tried to move, but he didn't have the strength. All he could do was watch.

The trio moved to get away, but Kara, her face expressionless, raised her right hand, palm facing them. A beam of white light shot from her hand and hit the trio with a force that knocked them into the circle. Their screams faded as the circle got smaller and disappeared completely.

As the aura faded from sight Kara blinked, like she was coming out of a trance. She remained in her spot as she turned to look at her cousin. Her face was completely ashen in color. The globe dropped from her hand, smoking, and hit the pavement, shattering to pieces. A couple seconds later Kara's eyes rolled up and she collapsed to the ground.

Superman stared numbly, in a trance of his own. He didn't realize he was moving until he was kneeling beside her, taking her in his arms. All he could see was Kara - his baby cousin - and she wasn't moving. He listened - and heard nothing. She was gone.

“No,” he whispered, tears falling down his cheeks. He smoothed strands of hair from her face. “Come on, Kara. Wake up.” Her eyes remained closed. Holding him close to her, he began weeping softly.

“Oh, my God,” Lois whispered, tears in her eyes. Perry just stared stoically, a lump forming in his throat. He didn't know what to say or do. Jimmy kept his eye in the viewfinder, numbly taking pictures.

Superman started shaking as his tears continued. He was silently begging her to move or do something, to hear her heart beating or her breathing, something to show that she wasn't dead, that he hadn't failed her, but he could neither feel nor hear anything.

“Are they gone?” a raspy voice softly said.

Superman paused and slowly lifted his head. He looked down at Kara's ashen face and saw her looking at him, her dull, blue eyes visible under half closed eyelids. He just stared, not sure if he was seeing or hearing correctly. He saw her left hand slowly reach up and touch his cheek ever so slightly; he knew then that it was real, that she was alive.

“Oh, thank God,” Lois whispered, smiling. She glanced over at Perry and saw the older man smiling. She could even see Jimmy grinning as he continued to snap pictures. The rest of the spectators started cheering and applauding.

Superman caught Kara's hand from the side, gripping it seeing how weak she was. He could feel her cold hand, how she was shaking slightly, never taking his eyes off her. After a few seconds, he titled his chin and tenderly kissed the back of her hand. He was trying hard not to cry again as he took a deep breath.

“Hey,” he breathed softly, barely audible.

“Are they gone?” she repeated.

Superman nodded, smiling slightly. “They're gone. You did it.” He kissed her forehead as he got to his feet, holding her in his arms. “Come on, let's get you back to Smallville. We need to have a long talk.” He carefully leaped into the air and was out of sight in seconds.

Lois continued to watch the sky as the crowd dispersed, still cheering. She turned when Perry touched her arm. “Lois, come on, we have a story to get printed up. Jimmy, get that filmed developed now.”

“Right on it, Chief,” Jimmy said.

“Where's Clark?” Perry asked.

Lois said, “Oh, uh, he's -”

“He's out with his cousin,” Jimmy interrupted.

“I didn't know he had a cousin,” Perry said.

“Yeah, she's visiting from Smallville,” Jimmy continued as the trio started heading back in. “She's really cute too. Hey, Lois, you know if she's staying here long?”

“I'm not sure, Jimmy. I think that's something you should take up with her and Clark.”

“Well, you think you can put in a good word with Clark for me?”

Lois looked at him, amused. “Jimmy, he already knows you. Besides, whatever happened to Supergirl? I thought you liked her.” The sudden realization hit Jimmy, but he just grinned sheepishly as he shrugged his shoulders. Lois and Perry shared a look as they rolled their eyes.

(End of Chapter 13)

I'm too young and boyish to go to jail. - "Top Copy"

Who's your buddy, huh, who's your pal? - "Tempus Fugitive"

Chief, instead of always standing around watching Lois and Clark, wondering what they're doing, what if we got lives of our own that were a little more interesting? - "And the Answer Is . . ."