DISCLAIMER: None of these characters are mine. Most of these characters are from the L&C show, but Supergirl is a combination of the two essenses (Pre-Crisis and Post-Crisis), and Zod, Ursa, and Non are from the second Superman movie. I'm not making any money off of this story, so sueing me would be pointless.

- - - -

Clark, Lois, and Kara silently walked down the hall. Instead of heading for the elevators, they walked past them, entering the stairwell. After making sure they were alone, Clark turned to Kara.

“I told you to stay in Smallville, Kara,” he said.

“I had something important to tell you, Clark,” the young woman said. “And I'm not Kara like this. I'm Linda Lee.”

“Why Linda Lee?” Lois asked.

“I overheard lots of different names on my way up here, trying to find one that I liked. I heard Linda and I heard Lee, so I just combined them.”

“Okay, Linda,” Clark said, folding his arms. “What are you doing here?”

“I think I know how to get rid of General Zod,” Linda said. “The globe . . . well, it showed me what to do, for lack of a better explanation.”

“How?” Clark asked, his anger slowly dissipating.

“I can't tell you,” Linda answered. “You just have to trust me on this.”

“No way. Either you tell me or you go back to Smallville.” He paused. “And where did you get that disguise from?”

“She made it,” Lois replied. Clark looked at his wife questioningly. “Show him what you showed me, Kara - er, Linda, um . . . just show him.”

Linda closed her eyes and concentrated really hard. The air around her shimmered, and pretty soon she had her blond hair, blue eyes, and her Kryptonian clothing. She took a deep breath and let it out slowly as she glanced up at her cousin, who was speechless.

“Another side effect of the globe's energy,” she explained. “Discovered I had it when I was trying to find the disguise your mother gave me. I just started changing. Didn't take me long to be able to figure out how it work; just like with the psychokinetic ability, I just have to concentrate and focus.” She winced as she straightened up.

“Are you okay?” Clark asked worriedly.

“It hurts a little to do that,” Kara replied. “Same when I use the psychokinesis abilities.”

“Do you know why?” Clark asked.

Kara shook her head and said, “No, I don't.” She looked up and saw her cousin looking concerned. “Clark, I'll be fine. Now, back to Zod and the others.”

“Kara, I can't let you anywhere near them unless you tell me what you have planned. Superpowers or not, you could get hurt.”

“Clark, look, I know that I probably should just shut up and let you two work this out,” Lois said, “but maybe you should trust Lin - er, Kara and listen to her. She knows more about Zod, Ursa, and Non than you do.”

“I do,” Kara replied. She looked up at Clark. “Clark, I'm not trying to show off or anything. I'm trying to stop more innocent people from dying. Those three wouldn't be here if I hadn't come -”

“Kara, we can't be sure,” Clark interrupted, gently. “You can't blame yourself for them being here.”

“But I do,” Kara said. “And I know how to get rid of them. I would rather you help me, but if you won't, I'll do it myself.”

Clark knew she was putting on a brave face, but he could hear her heart racing a mile a minute, and it didn't take a Superman to see through her facade. <You're scared,> he said to her.

<I am, but I have to do this, Clark,> she said. <Please help me.>

<Why won't you tell what you have in mind?>

<Just trust me, please.>

Clark sighed. He didn't like it, but he knew he didn't have a choice unless he didn't get involved, but that was out of the question. This fight was personal, not just because of Kara, but because Zod and the others had come to kill him too. &#8220;Okay,&#8221; he said aloud. &#8220;I'll do it.&#8221;

&#8220;Thank you,&#8221; Kara smiled.

&#8220;Do what?&#8221; Lois asked. &#8220;What did you -&#8221; She stopped when she realized what happened. &#8220;You spoke telepathically, didn't you?&#8221;

&#8220;I started it,&#8221; Clark apologized. &#8220;Sorry.&#8221;

&#8220;It's okay,&#8221; Lois replied. &#8220;So, what's the plan?&#8221;

&#8220;We need to draw Zod, Ursa, and Non out into the open,&#8221; Kara said. &#8220;We have to make them believe we're challenging their authority. Zod especially hates that.&#8221;

&#8220;How are you going to do that?&#8221;

Kara closed her eyes, concentrating very hard. <General Zod, it's Kara Zor-El.>

<Ah, the young imp,> Zod's voice replied. <Ready for you and your cousin to admit defeat?>

<On the contrary, Zod. You don't belong here, and we're both going to make sure you and the others are sent back to your rightful place. Come to the spot where we last fought, unless you don't think you can win against us.> She opened her eyes and found Clark giving her an incredulous look. &#8220;You heard.&#8221;

&#8220;Of course I could hear,&#8221; Clark replied. &#8220;You just challenged Zod to a fight?&#8221;

&#8220;I had to draw them out. Zod and the others will now take the bait, and we have them right where we want them.&#8221;

&#8220;In the middle of the city? People might get hurt.&#8221;

&#8220;Night's falling. Most people have left the area. Besides, there will not be that much destruction this time. I promise you. Now, let's get going before they arrive and start destroying things again.&#8221; She headed down the stairs, but Clark grabbed her tunic. She looked puzzled, but he pointed up.

&#8220;The rooftop, Kara.&#8221;

&#8220;Oh, okay.&#8221; The young woman turned around and headed up the stairs as Clark began unbuttoning his shirt.

&#8220;Be careful, Clark,&#8221; Lois said.

Clark leaned over and kissed her. &#8220;I will be. I promise.&#8221; He hurried up the stairs after his cousin, tugging at his necktie. Lois sighed, then went back into the hall to get the elevator back to the newsroom.

(End of Chapter 12)

I'm too young and boyish to go to jail. - "Top Copy"

Who's your buddy, huh, who's your pal? - "Tempus Fugitive"

Chief, instead of always standing around watching Lois and Clark, wondering what they're doing, what if we got lives of our own that were a little more interesting? - "And the Answer Is . . ."