DISCLAIMER: None of these characters are mine. Most of these characters are from the L&C show, but Supergirl is a combination of the two essenses (Pre-Crisis and Post-Crisis), and Zod, Ursa, and Non are from the second Superman movie. I'm not making any money off of this story, so sueing me would be pointless.

- - - -

Clark adjusted his glasses as the elevator doors opened to the newsroom. He walked over to Lois, who was too busy on the phone to notice him. “Well . . . same to you, buster!” She slammed the phone down and rubbed her temples. “Oh, Clark, where are you?”

“Right beside you.”

Lois looked up and saw her husband standing next to her desk, grinning. She flung herself at him, wrapping her arms around his neck. “Oh, Clark, thank goodness you're alright. I was so worried about you.”

“I'm fine, Lois,” Clark said, hugging her to him.

“How's Kara?” Lois whispered.

“She's back at Smallville for the time being,” Clark whispered. “She's fine, but she's staying there until she gets one of her powers more under control.”

“Which one?”

Clark glanced around, making sure no one was in hearing distance. “Remember when she threw her hands out and that invisible force hit -”

“Clark!” Perry almost shouted as he came walking out of his office. He was holding a small stack of photographs and an edition of the Daily Planet paper. Jimmy was close behind him. “Where in Sam Hill have you been?”

“I've been out . . . talking to Superman about what happened earlier.”

“And?” Perry asked.

“His official response is "No Comment.”

“That's it?” Perry looked displeased. “Clark, let me explain something to you.” He slapped down a photo of the Kryptonian trio. “First of all, there are three . . . super people from who-knows-where destroying Metropolis who have Superman's powers.” He slapped down another photo that Jimmy took of Kara and Superman talking to each other right before they flew off. “Then this young woman comes into the picture, also exhibiting the same powers, plus that thing she did with her hands. Now, from what I heard and saw at that fight - that fight which is costing the Daily Planet money to have the front repaired - gave me enough reason to believe that Superman knows all four of these characters. Hell, they could even be from New Krypton, for all we know. Lord knows they tried to take over Earth once; wouldn't be surprised if they were trying it again. But regardless of why they're here, the fact of the matter is that this is one helluva story, and I want the Daily Planet to be on top of this for more than just this one headline.”

He slapped down the paper he was holding. On the front page in big, bold letters were the words "Superman, Supergirl Clash With Supervillains.' A big, colorful photograph of the five Kryptonians battling outside the Daily Planet complimented the headline.

“Supergirl?” Clark asked.

“Yeah, that was my idea,” Jimmy said proudly. He glanced at one of the close-ups of Kara he took. “Man, she's hot. Hey, guys, since Superman seems to know her, you think you can put in a good word for me the next time you see him?” He trailed off when he saw Clark almost glaring at him. “What?”

“Don't you have some film to develop?” Clark asked.

“Whoa, what's with you, C.K.?” Clark just stared at him, and the young man got the message. “Right . . . I'm going to go develop some film.” He beat a hasty retreat.

“Clark,” Lois looked a little exasperated.

“Did you hear what he called her?”

“Supergirl?”

“Not that,” Clark said quickly. He sighed and shrugged. “Well, not just that . . . he called her hot.”

Lois grinned. “Sounds like someone's a little protective.”

“I just . . . I have a relative, Lois; an actual, living relative, and she's been entrusted to my care by someone I've never even met who has no reason to really trust me. I'm going to do everything in my power to make sure she stays safe, so if I sound a bit overprotective, I'm not apologizing.”

“Hey, wait just a minute, Clark. Back it up. Look, I'm not making fun of you. I just find it incredibly sweet and charming you're doing this for her.”

Clark softened. “I'm sorry, Lois. I'm just . . .” He glanced around, then lowered his voice. “I'm just not sure what to do about Zod and the others. I can't handle them myself, and I don't want Kara going near them until she masters all her powers, no matter how well she did today.”

“So, what are we going to do?”

Clark sighed. “I don't know.” He took a deep breath. “I think I'm going to go apologize to Jimmy.” He kissed Lois before walking away to the elevators. He got on and disappeared from sight as Lois went back to her work.

(End of Chapter 10)

I'm too young and boyish to go to jail. - "Top Copy"

Who's your buddy, huh, who's your pal? - "Tempus Fugitive"

Chief, instead of always standing around watching Lois and Clark, wondering what they're doing, what if we got lives of our own that were a little more interesting? - "And the Answer Is . . ."