DISCLAIMER: None of these characters are mine. Most of these characters are from the L&C show, but Supergirl is a combination of the two essenses (Pre-Crisis and Post-Crisis), and Zod, Ursa, and Non are from the second Superman movie. I'm not making any money off of this story, so sueing me would be pointless.

- - - -

Back in Smallville Clark had changed back into his regular clothes. Kara, still in her bodysuit and tunic, sat on the couch while Clark paced around the living room. His parents, who were standing in the entrance to the kitchen watched their son pace. He was not happy about the entire situation and everyone knew it, but Clark told himself not to get mad at Kara just yet.

<Let her explain herself, Clark,> he said to himself. <*Then* you can get mad at her.>

<I don't understand why you're getting mad at me. I helped you.>

Clark stopped and stared at the young woman. It took him a second to realize she had spoken to him telepathically. His countenance quickly reverted to being angry. &#8220;I'm mad, because you lied to me,&#8221; he said aloud. &#8220;You knew about the globe that Zod was talking about, didn't you?&#8221; Kara sighed nodded meekly. &#8220;Why didn't you tell me about it in the first place?&#8221;

&#8220;I thought if you didn't know, you'd be safe,&#8221; Kara replied. &#8220;I honestly didn't think that Zod would follow me; he and the others must have used the holo-archives to find out I was coming here, and to find out about you.&#8221;

&#8220;So, the globe *is* here?&#8221; Clark asked.

&#8220;Yes, my father hid it in a secret compartment on my ship. It should still be there.&#8221;

&#8220;What exactly is it?&#8221;

&#8220;It's a source of extreme power,&#8221; Kara explained. &#8220;It is one of several that was created thousands of years ago by the first inhabitants of Krypton as they harnessed pure energy and kept it in specially designed globes. Over the years, they were passed down to the ruling families, each family owning a certain number of globes, which would determine the number of heirs they were to have. Most of them were destroyed when Krypton exploded, but a handful were saved from destruction because of the expedition that eventually founded New Krypton and because of what our fathers did.&#8221;

&#8220;Are you saying that Clark has a globe like what you're talking about?&#8221; Jonathan asked.

Kara nodded. &#8220;When Jor-El made the decision to send Clark to Earth, he fashioned a communication globe, which contained transmissions that Jor-El recorded. However, there was the problem of finding a source strong enough to power it, so Jor-El channeled the power of the energy globe into the communication globe, thereby providing it with the necessary energy. That left the energy globe drained, and completely useless. Even the communication globe has depleted its energy now, as I'm sure you've been aware of for sometime.&#8221; She looked distant as she glanced out the front window. Without warning, she got to her feet and ran out the house in a blur. Within three seconds, she came back, holding a small, black and gold metal globe in her hands. It glowed brightly.

&#8220;This is my globe,&#8221; Kara continued. She closed her eyes, and the ball glowed brighter for a moment. &#8220;It's missing energy.&#8221;

&#8220;How can you tell?&#8221; Martha asked.

&#8220;When the globes are passed down to the heirs, they are taught everything about the globes: their history and how to understand their own globe's energy in case it ever has to be channeled to defend the family.&#8221;

&#8220;So, you must have had that a lot time to be able to know there's energy missing, right?&#8221; Jonathan asked.

Kara looked a little hesitant. &#8220;Actually, I've only had this in my possession for a few months. I can barely comprehend the energy level. If I tried to channel the energy without the proper training, it could be fatal.&#8221; She cocked her head to the side and stared at her globe. &#8220;But I just don't understand it.&#8221;

&#8220;Understand what?&#8221; Clark asked.

&#8220;The globe is missing energy, and you saw what I was able to do today to Zod and the others. Kryptonians don't have psychokinetic abilities, Clark, even in the presence of a yellow sun. What I think is that . . . I think, somehow or another, the missing energy has been channeled into me. It's like it's . . . it's a part of me."

&#8220;Do you feel different?&#8221; Clark asked.

&#8220;I little. And when I blasted Zod and the others, it not only knocked them off their feet, but it felt really uncomfortable. And I have no idea how to control it, if it is truly a part of me.&#8221;

Clark looked a little troubled as he took a deep breath. &#8220;You said it's a psychokinetic ability, right?&#8221; Kara nodded. &#8220;Well, from what I've seen, it seems that you have the ability to move things just by willing it to happen.&#8221; He glanced around the living room, and his eyes fell on a hammer in a toolbox near the front door. &#8220;Say you wanted to move that hammer there.&#8221;

&#8220;Hammer?&#8221; Kara asked. Clark went over and pointed to it. &#8220;Oh.&#8221;

&#8220;If what you're saying is true, then you should be able to move the hammer on your own, just by concentrating really hard. Give it a try. Picture an invisible hand lifting it and bringing it to you.&#8221;

Kara looked a little uncertain, but she stared at the hammer, focusing and concentrating. After a few moments, it started shaking. She tensed as she felt her body ache, but she concentrated harder. After a few more seconds the hammer slowly lifted into the air.

&#8220;Oh, my,&#8221; Martha said. She looked at Jonathan, who just stood beside her, his mouth open.

Clark was smiling, and a proud grin was spreading across the young woman's face. She glanced at her cousin, but that momentary distraction caused the hammer to fall to the toolbox, rattling everything loudly. Kara looked crestfallen, as if she had failed.

&#8220;Hey, it's okay,&#8221; Clark said, putting a hand on her shoulder. &#8220;Look, it's going to take some time to master it. And at the rate you've been mastering your other powers, it shouldn't take that long. Now, I've got to get back to Metropolis and figure out what's going on.&#8221; He quickly spun around, changing into Superman.

&#8220;What about Zod and the others?&#8221; Kara asked.

"For the time being, I want you to stay put here and learn how to control that new power of yours,&#8221; Superman said, gently. &#8220;Okay?&#8221;

Kara sighed but she nodded. She smiled slightly as he cousin kissed her forehead then said goodbye to his parents. He left in a big whoosh, taking to the sky and heading east. Kara glanced down at her globe and furrowed her eyebrows, cocking her head to the side as if deep in thought.

&#8220;What is it?&#8221; Martha asked.

&#8220;I don't know,&#8221; Kara answered slowly. &#8220;It's like there's something . . . else.&#8221; She continued watching the globe as it suddenly glowed brighter. She stared at the light, almost as if in a trance, then she blinked and smiled. &#8220;Most intriguing.&#8221;

(End of Chapter 9)

I'm too young and boyish to go to jail. - "Top Copy"

Who's your buddy, huh, who's your pal? - "Tempus Fugitive"

Chief, instead of always standing around watching Lois and Clark, wondering what they're doing, what if we got lives of our own that were a little more interesting? - "And the Answer Is . . ."