DISCLAIMER: None of these characters are mine. Most of these characters are from the L&C show, but Supergirl is a combination of the two essenses (Pre-Crisis and Post-Crisis), and Zod, Ursa, and Non are from the second Superman movie. I'm not making any money off of this story, so sueing me would be pointless.

- - - -

“Are you sure this looks good?” Kara asked as she and Martha walked out of the Smallville clothing store near the middle of town. She was now dressed in a pair of tight-fitting jeans, a green t-shirt, and a pair of black flats with no socks. She still wore her sunglasses, and she was carrying several bags in her hands, each containing several items of new clothing.

“You look fine, dear,” Martha said, also holding some bags. The two women walked to the truck that was parked alongside the curb and got in, putting the bags between them. Martha started the engine and drove off, while Kara stared out the open window as the small city. She sat up straighter and pulled her sunglasses off when the truck approached a produce vehicle that two men were unloading. One of the crates they were lifting slipped as the truck passed, but before it could crash to the ground Kara blew a strong puff of air. The strong gust of wind slowed the crate's fall to the ground. The young woman smiled and put her sunglasses back on as the truck drove on.

“You know,” Martha said gently, “you really need to stop using your powers in public, Kara, even if you think no one sees it. People have to believe you're our relative and not related to Superman in anyway.” Kara leaned back and looked slightly disappointed. Martha looked sympathetic. “Honey, I'm not getting mad at you for helping people. It's really wonderful you have that caring and compassion in your heart, but you just have to be careful, okay? We wouldn't want anything to happen to you, right?”

“I know,” Kara replied. “I just feel a little cooped up.” She watched as a flock of birds flew high in the sky and sighed, wanting to be up there with them.

“Don't worry, Kara,” Martha said as they left the city limits and headed for the Kent farm. “Your day will come.”

(End of Chapter 5)

I'm too young and boyish to go to jail. - "Top Copy"

Who's your buddy, huh, who's your pal? - "Tempus Fugitive"

Chief, instead of always standing around watching Lois and Clark, wondering what they're doing, what if we got lives of our own that were a little more interesting? - "And the Answer Is . . ."