DISCLAIMER: None of these characters are mine. Most of these characters are from the L&C show, but Supergirl is a combination of the two essenses (Pre-Crisis and Post-Crisis), and Zod, Ursa, and Non are from the second Superman movie. I'm not making any money off of this story, so sueing me would be pointless.

- - - -

“So, what's going to be your excuse this time?” Lois asked as she and Clark got off the elevator and walked into the newsroom the next morning.

“I'll just tell Perry the truth,” Clark replied in a low voice. “There's a family emergency, and I have to go to Smallville for a few days.”

Lois chuckled softly herself. “You know, even with everything that happened with New Krypton, Zara, and Ching, I still can't believe you have an actual living relative.” They walked over to Clark's desk.

“I know,” Clark replied. “I've been thinking about getting in touch with Zara and letting her know that Kara's safe, especially if she learns about what's going on in Argo City.”

“Poor kid,” Lois said. “I can't imagine what she must be going through right now. New place, new life . . . new powers.”

“Well, right now, she better be resting,” Clark said. “She had a pretty traumatic evening last night.”

“Don't worry, Clark, I'm sure she's taking it easy.”

“Clark, Lois, my office!” Perry shouted from his desk.

“I hope she is,” Clark added before the two walked into their boss' office.

- - - -

“Why do I have to wear this?” Kara asked. She had traded her robes and boots for an old pair of Martha's gray sweatpants, plus an old, black t-shirt and some worn out tennis shoes. Her blond hair was tucked under a dark, brown wig that fell just below her ears. A pair of black sunglasses that Martha had given her covered her eyes. She was in the living room, sitting cross-legged as she floated a few feet above the floor, watching a Bugs Bunny cartoon with fascination, despite her annoyance at her appearance.

“For the same reason that Clark wears his disguise,” Jonathan explained patiently. “So people won't recognize him as being Superman.”

“But I'm not a superhero like Clark. I'm just a regular Kryptonian.”

“You also have powers like Clark's,” Martha added. “So, this is to ensure that if you're seen practicing your powers - hopefully not, but if you are - no one will be able to connect you to us. And in case this General Zod and his goons do learn about you being here, they won't recognize you. It's for your safety, mainly.”

Kara sighed, but she couldn't argue their logic. She uncrossed her legs and put her feet on the floor. “I'm sorry, Martha,” she said. “I don't mean to sound ungrateful for everything you two have done for me. It's just so . . . different here. I mean, all these gadgets and, and things, plus having these abilities is a bit . . . overwhelming.”

“Oh, it's perfectly okay, honey,” Martha said. “And that's why we're going shopping. You can see some of the stuff that humans like to do, and we can get some clothes for you, something that fits your personal style.” Kara smiled at that. “Now, just turn off the television, and we'll be on our way.”

Kara nodded and went over to the coffee table where the remote was. She bent over and picked it up, and the remote crumbled in her hands. Pieces of plastic and circuitry fell to the floor. Kara looked upset as she glanced up at the Kents. “I - I - didn't mean to,” she stammered. She looked near to tears.

“It's alright, Kara,” Jonathan said. He walked over to her and put his hand on her shoulder while Martha went to get the broom and dustpan. “You know, Martha and I had similar problems with Clark when his powers were developing. He broke all kinds of things too. Mainly furniture.” He pulled her close into a hug and patted her back gently, kissing her forehead as Martha came back. “Don't you worry about it, okay?” He glanced over at Martha and mouthed "remote control.' She simply nodded.

“Are you ready?” Martha asked, handing her husband the broom and dustpan.

“Yeah,” Kara replied. She headed for the door with Martha behind her.

“You two ladies have fun,” Jonathan said as he started cleaning up. There was a small crunching sound, and he looked up. The fact that Kara had ripped the door completely off its hinges and was holding it by the knob didn't faze either of the Kents.

“Okay,” Martha said slowly. “I think I know which of your abilities we'll have to work on next.” She helped Kara lean the door against the wall, then ushered the young woman out. She turned around and mouthed "hinges' before leaving the house.

- - - -

“A what?” Clark asked, looking incredulously at Perry.

“You heard me, Clark,” Perry said, sitting at his desk.

“Perry, that sounds a bit farfetched, don't you think?” Lois asked.

“Lois, once we thought that Superman was farfetched. Then there was that thing with Lord Nor - that took place in Smallville, need I remind you? For all we know, this - whatever it is - could be related to those Kryptonians. Now, get on the first flight you can out there and find out what happened out there last night. And take Jimmy with you.” The two reporters left the office and made their way over to Clark's desk.

“Well, I guess we have a reason to go to Smallville now,” Lois said wryly.

“The problem is, what are we going to do about Kara?” Clark asked in a low voice. “If Jimmy sees her he's going to ask questions.” He reached for his phone. “Think I better give them a call, let them know to expect us.” He dialed his parents' number and waited. “Dad, it's me . . . how's Kara doing?” He raised his eyebrows. “Really? Well . . . I guess that's good . . . she what?” He sighed. “Well, the good news is Lois and I are coming out there today. Perry wants us to cover a possible meteor that crashed near town last night, see if it's connected to anything Kryptonian. The problem is that Jimmy is coming with us too . . . yeah, I know . . . okay, thanks. We'll call when we get there. Bye.” He hung up.

“Well?” Lois asked.

“Mom is out taking Kara shopping for clothes,” Clark explained. “And to get a few things to fix up the house. Kara . . . hasn't learned to control certain things yet.”

Lois smiled. “What did she break?”

“The television remote, and she took the front door off it's hinges.” Clark shook his head. “They say she's really got the flying down pat, though.”

“Well, don't worry about her, Clark. She sounds like someone who can take care of herself, and with your parents around she'll be just fine. And of course, we're going out there to help her as well.”

“Help who?” Jimmy asked as he walked up. He was dressed casually with his camera around his neck.

“Uh . . .” Clark trailed off.

“It's Clark's cousin,” Lois replied quickly.

“Cousin?” Jimmy asked, smiling. “You never said you had a cousin.”

“Well, we never saw her much,” Clark explained.

“So, she lives in Smallville?” Jimmy asked.

“Well, now she does,” Lois answered. “Her parents were killed . . . in an accident, overseas, and she had no other relatives, so she flew to Smallville to live with the Kents.”

“Cool,” Jimmy replied. “So, when did she get there?”

“Uh, yesterday,” Clark said.

“Neat. So, I guess I'll get to meet her when we get there, huh?”

“Yeah,” Clark replied slowly.

“So, is she seeing anyone?” Clark and Lois glanced over at the young photographer with odd looks. “What?”

“Jimmy, she just came in from out of town,” Clark said, almost exasperatedly. “I seriously doubt she's had time to "see' anyone.”

“Gee, thanks, CK,” Jimmy grinned. “I owe you.” He left them. “I'm going to go call the airline and see when we can get going. I'll let you know what I get.” He hurried onto a waiting elevator, grinning from ear to ear.

Clark just shook his head, then glanced at Lois, who was trying not to laugh. “Oh, Lois, don't you start either.”

“What? I think it's cute. Besides, don't you want your cousin to get used to living life as a human?”

“Yeah, but I'm not sure how she'd react to Jimmy hitting on her. She was raised a little differently than we were.”

“I know, but do you really think you have anything to worry about? It is Jimmy, after all.” She stood behind him and began rubbing his shoulders. “Come on, Clark. Let's not worry so much about Jimmy and your cousin for the time being. Let's worry about what we're going to do about covering that "meteor,' okay?” Clark sighed and nodded. Lois smiled, gave him a quick kiss on the cheek, then both reporters gathered up their things and left the newsroom to get ready for their trip.

(End of Chapter 3)

I'm too young and boyish to go to jail. - "Top Copy"

Who's your buddy, huh, who's your pal? - "Tempus Fugitive"

Chief, instead of always standing around watching Lois and Clark, wondering what they're doing, what if we got lives of our own that were a little more interesting? - "And the Answer Is . . ."