Reflections – Part 21

Lois put the finishing touches on their story about the guns discovered on the Belgian Star, and started to proof the article. She was impressed at how Clark had handled the part on the crew’s involvement. It seems that they were totally surprised by the existence of the guns in the sealed crates. Apparently the loading crew at Robertsport in Liberia had certified that the crates were packed with coffee exports. In fact, the crates had been liberally filled with coffee beans and grounds to mask any odors from the weapons.

Their talk with Henderson after the ship had been unloaded had been very interesting. As cynical as he usually was, the detective seemed to believe that the crew had no idea what had been in the crates. Of course, he had grilled Clark at length on how he knew about the guns. Clark gave him a short summary of his investigations over the last three years, and the phone call he had gotten this afternoon with the tip about the ship.

They had decided to share their suspicions about Luthor with Henderson, who didn’t seem at all surprised. Henderson had said that he had run into many instances of illegal activities that had some connection to Luthor Corp. For example a series of arsons in a run down section of Hobbs Bay had driven down property values in the area. Luthor Corp. had come in and snapped up the properties at a song, and rebuilt the area back up. The property value then shot up, and Luthor had been hailed as a great rebuilder for the city. But something about it didn’t sit right with Henderson. The arsonists were never caught, and their activities had stopped after Luthor had bought up the burned out areas.

She looked up from her screen, and scanned the newsroom for Clark. He had scooted out about 40 minutes earlier, saying something about grabbing them some dinner as he dashed for the stairwell. She glanced at her watch, and noted that it was now after eight. She hoped that Clark got back soon with some food, because those ‘Cheez-Its’ she had a couple of hours ago just weren’t holding her. As if on cue, the elevator chimed sounded as the doors opened to reveal Clark carrying a large pizza box and a six pack of cream soda.

She gave him a big smile as he crossed the room. She could really get used to this kind of service. She cleared her desk enough to make room for the pizza box as Clark grabbed his chair on the way over. He carefully placed the pizza box and drinks down on her desk before wearily sitting down in his chair. He gave her a weak smile as handed her a drink.

“I hope you like vegetarian.”

She looked at him with concern as she answered, “Sure, that’ll be great.” Then after a beat, “Are you okay, Clark?”

He seemed lost in thought, staring at his can of soda. After a second, he focused back on her and answered, “Oh, you know… just a long day.”

“I guess. But we did pretty well. Perry should be happy with two major stories back to back. And the police stopped those guns from getting into the country. Who knows where they would have ended up if your source hadn’t called in that tip?”

“Yeah, pretty lucky.” He gave her a sad smile before asking, “So shall we dig in?”

“I am starving. By the way, how did you know that I would like cream soda?”

He chuckled. “Maybe it was the pile of empty cream soda cans I saw in your trash can.”

“Humph. I’m glad you’re so observant.” She flipped open the box and grabbed a slice, taking a big bite. He carefully took his own piece, eating much more slowly then she was. As he once again looked like he had drifted off in thought, she began to study him as he ate. Really looking at him, she realized how powerful he looked. He had a strong, athletic build which he covered with loose fitting clothes. She also noted that beyond his obvious good looks, there was this ‘aura’ around him that for some reason made her feel safe when he was near.

And he had some mud in his hair.

‘What the heck?’ She blinked and looked again to make sure she had saw right. She was about to ask him about it, when her phone rang. Wolfing down the last of her slice, she answered the phone, mumbling “Hello” through her rapid chewing.

After a minute of listening she answered, “Yes, I guess that will be fine. Have them there at 6:30.” Without saying anything else she hung up the phone.

“That was one of Luthor’s secretaries.”

Clark looked over at Lois with a concerned expression. “What did she want?”

“Apparently I’m getting picked up by limo at my apartment tomorrow night.” Then after a beat she asked, “And just how would you know that his secretary was a ‘her’?”

“Luthor doesn’t seem the type to have male secretaries.” Then he sat up straight to look her right in the eyes. “You know, if we’re right about Luthor, this can start getting very dangerous for you. In fact there’s a good chance that he was going to be on the receiving end of those guns today, and he’s going to know that we were there at the raid.”

She sat up straight also, and looked at him with a mildly amused expression. “So when he finds that WE are investigating this illegal gun trade, and the fact that he knows that WE expose the Shuttle sabotage, means that only I am in danger. So is that what you are telling me?”

“Well… yes. I mean you… and I don’t…” Lois was actually amused at his floundering as he finally got out, “You’re going to his building tomorrow.”

She smiled at his obvious concern, but she also knew that she couldn’t let him get away with trying to be over protective. He needed to realize that she was a big girl, and could take care of herself.

“Listen, Clark. First of all I’ve been taking care of myself long before you hit Metropolis. Secondly, if Luthor is guilty, he’s not going to do anything while I’m at an interview that everyone knows about. And third, why do you think I’m any more vulnerable than you are?”

He looked at her like he wanted to answer, but was holding back. After a moment he got out with a sigh, “I guess I would be as vulnerable as you.”

The way he replied struck her as odd, but still replied with, “Exactly. And this will be a good chance to gauge his reactions to some cleverly worded questions.” She smiled mischievously as she said, “Who knows, maybe he’ll succumb to feminine charms and just confess to all his wrong doings.”

His only response was an exasperated look, which only made smile more. “Don’t worry, Smallville, I know how to handle myself. I’ll just causally mention our story on today’s raid, and see if he reacts.”

“Lois, just promise me you’ll be careful.”

At his serious tone, she dropped her playfulness before answering, “Clark, I will be careful, I promise. But if we want to expose him, we will be taking some risks. We just have to be smart about it.”

“I guess so. It’s strange for me to have a partner. I’m just not used to having to worry about somebody getting hurt.”

“You mean somebody else, don’t you? You have to be careful too.”

“Um… right. Somebody else…” He paused for a moment, then looking into her eyes said, “I just hope someday you don’t regret helping me… partnering with me. I’m worried that someday there be a time when I won’t be there when you need me.”

“Clark, I already told you how I feel about this. Listen, I’ll be real honest with you. I think you’re a good reporter. That piece on the theater was fantastic. I couldn’t have written anything like that. Plus you’ve been a good partner on the Shuttle story.” She took a breath before getting to the tough part. “And I have a news flash for you… Manchester isn’t dead because of you, it was her own fault. She wasn’t really your friend. She was just using you for her own selfish motives, and in the end, that’s what got her killed. But if you’re really want to be partners, we’re going to do it the right way. It’s not 50/50, we both give 100%. That way, when one of us have nothing to give, and that’ll happen sometimes, the other will be able to pick up the slack. So you keep up your end, and I’ll keep up mine.”

Clark was silent in thought for a minute, staring down at the soda can in his hand. He then replied, “I can do that.” He looked up at her as he said, “But sometimes you’ll have to teach me what it means to have a partner.”

She gave him a short laugh as she said, “You have no idea how ironic that statement is.” Without letting him respond, she started cleaning her desk of what was left of their food as she said, “So this is what we’re going to do. Tomorrow is going to be our day off, which I’m sure Perry will grant us after turning in two back-to-back exclusives. I don’t know about you, but I’m sleeping in until noon. Then if you’re not tired of hanging around with me yet, you can stop by my place for lunch, and you can help me strategize for my interview with Luthor. Then Tuesday morning we’ll take what I get out of the interview along with our other research, and lay out for Perry what we have so far. And finally, before we go, you have to tell me why the heck you have dried mud in your hair.”

Clark looked at her quizzically, as he reached up and started feeling for what she saw in his hair. He pulled out some of the dried mud with hand and examined it for a moment before saying, “Um… didn’t even know that was there. I thought I got all of that out.”

“But how did it get there in the first place? Did you roll around in park on your little walk?”

“Huh?” he replied, focusing back onto her. “Um… no, I just, um… brushed up against something.”

“Well, I hope that walk cleared your head, ‘cause we have a lot of work ahead of us.”

He smiled as he replied, “We do, indeed. So let me walk you to your Jeep, I think weren’t done here for the day.”

“Don’t be silly, I’ll give you a ride home. No use you walking when I can drive you.”

“I guess not, thanks Lois,” he said with a warm smile.

She let herself got lost in the warmth of his smile for a moment, before grabbing her purse and saying, “Okay, let’s hit it.” Without checking to see if he was following, she made her way to the elevator. For some reason she had the feeling that he would always be able to keep up with her, no matter what pace she set for them. And right now she felt herself going into full “Mad Dog” mode, with a Pulitzer caliber expose in front of her… in front of them. She entered the elevator and turned to press the ground floor button. As she expected, Clark was right there next to her. As they rode down, she thought, with something akin to an evil grin, that Luthor wasn’t going to know what hit him.

==========================
(An hour later, high over Metropolis)

Clark, now in his Superman guise, finished up his quick patrol of the city, then turn West toward Kansas. Of all the difficult things he had done in the last three years, opening up to Lois was one of the most difficult. He needed to get his parent’s advice on what this would mean for him. He’d had friends in the past, but always kept them at arm’s length for fear of reveling his secret. Even the girl he dated in high school for a short time, he had never really completely opened up to, which led to their eventual break up before he left for college. The only real time he had revealed himself completely to anyone had been Lena, and that was forced upon him.

With Lois, it was different. Other than the fact he was slowly coming to trust that she wouldn’t betray him like Lena, he was for the first time consciously deciding to get close to someone. He was already beginning to have to make up excuses to duck out on her to answer calls for help. At some point, if she really did become his close friend, she might discover his alter ego. Or he would have to tell her someday out of necessity. Either way, he needed to get his parents opinion on his relationship with Lois.

As it had in Metropolis, the sun had already set, and he landed quietly in the darkened rear yard of the farmhouse. Quickly spinning out of the suit, he used his super senses to make sure that his parents had no company. He saw his mom cleaning up the dinner dishes, and his dad putting away leftovers. Hearing no other heartbeats in the house he went to the kitchen entry door.

“Mom… Dad… It’s me.”

Martha turned to Clark, with a big smile on her face. “Oh, honey, what a nice surprise. We didn’t expect you tonight.” She walked over to him, wrapping him in a hug. He gave her a quick kiss on her cheek, as he heard his dad say, “So, you found out that your mom made an apple pie today?”

He grinned as he replied, “I could smell it all the way from Metropolis.”

His father chuckled. “You know, son, you’re the only person who’d I believe that was actually true.” He finished putting away the food then went over to his son to give him a quick bear hug. “So, what do you say we break out that pie, and you can tell us why you’re here.”

“Sure, Dad.”

Later, as they all sat, enjoying the apple pie, his mom put her fork down, and with a concerned look asked Clark, “Is something bothering you, Honey?”

“You could always read me Mom.” He took a moment to gather his thoughts before starting with, “I was wondering how you guys feel about me making a friend,”

His parents looked at each other, as if silently trying to figure out what he meant. His mom then said, “Well, honey, you’ve had friends before, like Pete and Lana.”

“Without looking up from the coffee cup in his hand he replied, “Not like that, Mom.” He looked up at his parents as he continued. “I’ve been partnered with someone at work, and I’m opening up in a way that I’ve never had before. I even shared what happen to me with Lena.”

He could see his father’s eyes grow wide, and he quickly amended, “With some editing, of course.” He could see his father visibly relax a little.

“It’s just that I feel myself starting to like having someone I can work with. Who can help me in my investigations, and bounce ideas off of. But, I don’t know if I… well…”

“You’re afraid that someday you’ll have to reveal too much to her, and you’re wondering what we think of that,” his mom finished for him.

Clark looked surprised. “I didn’t say it was a woman.”

“Oh, come on, honey, give me a little credit. I saw the way you talked about this Lois person. She must have something special to get you to come out of your shell.”

He scowled at her comment. “Shell? I don’t think someone who flies around in red and blue spandex lives in a shell.”

“Oh sweetheart, that suit is part of your shell. Superman is just a way to use your powers and keep everyone at a distance at the same time.”

Did he do that? Were his superhero activities and the secret that surrounded it keeping him from connecting to others?

“Son,” his dad started, breaking him out of his thoughts. “I would be the first to tell you to protect yourself and your secret. But at some point you’ll have to take a chance on someone again.”

“Even if that means sharing my secret?”

“Well, Son, if you’re going to have a relationship with a woman someday, I’ll expect that she’ll get to know all sides of you.”

“What?” he exclaimed in surprise. “No… I’m not talking about that kind of relationship. I just mean letting Lois become a real friend.”

“Oh, so you don’t think of her in that way?” his mom asked in a pseudo innocent voice.

“No… well, kind of … I mean, no I can’t.”

“Because?”

“Because, I could never give her a normal life. I couldn’t stop helping people just because I wanted that kind of relationship, and it wouldn’t be fair to her for her to have share my time with the rest of the world. Besides the fact I couldn’t give her a family.”

“You know I think that should be something the woman decides,” his father countered. “Not that I’m pushing you into anything, but the right woman would understand what you had to do. And just why couldn’t you give her a family?”

“Dad I’m from another planet. It’s doubtful that my DNA can match properly with human DNA.”

“You don’t know that, Son.” He then leaned in toward Clark, and placed a hand on son’s forearm. “Clark, there’s no reason to think you have to be alone for your whole life, just because you’re different, or because you took on these responsibilities. Or especially because you’ve been hurt before. Believe me, when the right woman comes into your life, you’ll know it.”

“Honey, how does Lois make you feel?” his mom asked.

Clark thought about it for a few moments, then answered, “Anxious.”

His mom sat back in her chair, and with a smile asked, “You’ve been fighting with yourself over this, haven’t you?”

Looking back down at his cup he answered softly, “I guess I have.”

“When are you going to see her next?” she asked.

“Tomorrow at lunch.”

“Tell you what, then, honey. When you’re with her at lunch just listen and look at her. Don’t worry about your secret, don’t think about your heritage, and put past hurts out of your mind. Just be with her, and see how you feel.”

Clark thought about what his parents had just told him as he stared into his coffee. He then got up and walked over to the kitchen’s picture window. He looked out onto the night sky, scanning for the various constellations he had memorized as a kid, wondering if one of the stars he was looking at was the Kryptonian sun.

Still staring out at the sky he finally said, “What if I don’t feel anything but friendship for her? It still may lead to me sharing my secret with her.”

“Well, we’ll see honey. For now try just looking at her without all that other stuff in the way.”

“And if I feel something, is it fair to burden her with responsibilities I chose freely to take upon myself?”

His mom walked up to him at the window, and touched him on the arm to get his attention. As he looked at her, he could see that exasperated look on her, that he often saw when he had said or done something that was dumb in her eyes.

“Honey, that’s like saying the President shouldn’t have relationships. Or policemen… or firemen. Those people have to share their lives everyday, and I don’t see them becoming monks.”

He smiled and shook his head. Then without a word, bent down and kissed her on the forehead. “Hey, Dad, did you know how smart Mom was?”

His Dad gave out a chuckle. “Yeah, I knew that from the start. Why do you think I married her? I needed someone who could keep me in line.”

Martha turned her head to give her husband a look of, what Clark could only describe as, pure love. She turned back to Clark and asked, “So, you want to spend the night, Honey? I can make you blueberry pancakes in the morning. I just got a fresh basket from Edith.”

“How can I refuse an offer like that?” He turned to his dad and asked, “You need anything done in the morning?”

“Well, son, since you asked, there is that fence on the west side that I’m still rebuilding from the last storm.”

Clark grinned as he said, “No problem, Dad, I can have it done in a jif for you.” He then saw his mom starting to clean up the dessert.

“Here, I’ll take care of that for you, Mom.” He then streaked around the kitchen at superspeed, and within a few seconds the kitchen was all clean, with the remaining pie put away in its Tupperware.

His dad shook his head in amusement. “It’s a good thing you decided not to stay on the farm, Son, or your mother and I would have become lazy slobs.” He then got up and said, “Well, we need to turn in soon, so good night son.”

“Yes, good night, Honey.”

“Okay, good night, Mom… Dad…” He smiled at them as they headed off to their room. Looking at them, he was suddenly struck with the thought that he would like nothing better than to find someone who would complement him like his mom and dad did for each other. He decided that tomorrow was going to be a very interesting lunch.

======================

Metropolis, the next day at Noon.

Clark stood outside Lois’ apartment door and knocked. He waited for a bit, but didn’t hear any movement from within the apartment. He extended his hearing further and discovered that he could not even hear a heartbeat from within the apartment. ‘Maybe she went out to get some food,’ he thought to himself. Standing there, trying to decided what to do next, he suddenly realized that he could smell coffee. Perplexed he pulled down his glasses and peered through door. There was a pot of coffee still in her coffee maker, and a mug sitting on the counter. He could see that the mug was full, but now steam was rising from it. Now worried, he scanned the whole apartment. He could see a chair lying on its side, and the rug around her fish tank was soaked with water. Looking into her bedroom he saw clothes laid out on her bed, and her purse sitting on the dresser. Now in full panic mode, he raced to the stairs, and after entering the empty stairwell, accelerated to superspeed, changing into the suit as he flew towards the roof door. He burst through door, and immediately flew to her window, which was open. He landed in the apartment, and started scanning for clues. The floor by the chair revealed the latent thermal images of a body’s imprint, about the size of Lois’s size. The fish tank had hand impressions on it, like someone had to stop themselves from crashing into it. Unfortunately he couldn’t distinguish any usable finger or hand prints. Finally, the deadbolts on her door were all in the open position, only the door knob lock was engaged.

Lois had been kidnapped, and he had no clue how to find her.

End Part 21