Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#62669 04/14/09 07:49 AM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Yes, Bob may be right, this may not be done in 5 parts, even if they are a little longer. It keeps growing on me as I write.

I have to say up front that I am not as comfortable with this story as I was with the first two. I started out to basically play a joke on Lois in Foreshadowing and I ended up with 4 people in a very confusing and difficult situation. Especially poor young Lois who has had the least experience and/or time to get used to all this time-travel stuff. She's really been thrown into the deep end. And she's got this huge tension between how she used to think of Clark Kent and what she's seen in the last day. She can't keep thinking of him as her hack of a loser colleague, but how sudden a transition can she really make in her own mind? Thinking out loud here.

This *is* my happily ever after.
#62670 04/14/09 10:37 AM
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
You know, the two Clarks are really quite naive, leaving two Loises alone to their mischief huh More like she's met Clark's brother or something, but spiced with the possibility of 'it might be' smile But that's just me trying to make sense of stuff blush

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
#62671 04/14/09 07:34 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
There sure is a lot going on here. The angst is so thick that there are puddles on the floor.

Lane seems to be the only person here that seems to be in control of herself in this situation.

Clark seems especially nervous about any attraction between CJ and Lane. I guess I’m not surprised that he saw some attraction but after the greeting he got from his wife when she saw him, I was surprised he would be nervous or feel threatened.

CJ *does* seem to have completely forgotten about Lois. That looks like it could easily be a problem down the road.

Lois seems completely lost and unsure of what is going on and her place in everything.

Right now, I see the older couple as having to have a *long* talk about Clark’s jealousy. As for the younger couple, they do look to be in a bad place. I did especially like this part from Clark

“Do you love her, too?” Clark pressed. “Can you give her the love she deserves after knowing my wife for so long? Or is she always going to be your second choice?”

“You don’t have to know the answer to that right now, CJ. And maybe it’ll be a moot point anyway. But, if you do end up keeping your memories intact, just make sure you figure it out before you start something with Lois. Nobody wants to be loved as a stand-in.”
That very nicely captures the dilemma that CJ and Lois share. If they end up with a future together, and they somehow get to keep their memories intact, they better have a really strong soul-mate bond going or they will end up going their separate ways. (Of course I don't want that. I'm just making an observation.)

Bob

#62672 04/15/09 02:59 AM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I'm *trying* to put my toys back where I found them. Really, I am. dizzy

This *is* my happily ever after.
#62673 04/15/09 03:26 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yes, I'm intrigued on where this is all going. It's a great part. But the quote before the beginning of "Flashback" isn't anywhere in "Forshadowing" that I can find. Maybe it needs to be here in "Forward".
Keep it up
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
#62674 04/15/09 03:46 AM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
The problem with putting the toys back where they were is that sometimes they don't want to go back. They've found new places to play and they want to stay there.

It's a problem many authors face. A few years ago, I read an article about "plot drift" in Writer magazine (an excellent resource for both beginning and experienced writers) which told of a woman writing a book where the main characters just flatly refused to do what she originally intended they would do. About halfway through, she related, the narrator's life went in a different direction and she ended up with a guy she didn't like very much at the beginning of the story (for good reason, I might add).

The funny thing was - I had already read that book! And I'd noticed that there seemed to be a left turn about halfway through, and I just assumed that the author designed it that way. Uh-uh. Her characters took over and gave her a different set of resolutions. The ending wasn't as tidy as she had originally envisioned, but it worked.

So don't try to force your characters too far in a direction they don't seem to want to follow. If they want to go somewhere else, they might have an idea worth exploring. That doesn't mean that you just write anything that comes into your head, but it does mean that the story you end up with might not be the story you originally wanted to write. It's happening to me, right now, with the tale I'm working on (and which is almost ready for beta). And most of the time, the story is as good or better than the original outline.

Now back to the story itself. I had to focus on who was speaking to make sure I knew who was saying what, but before the end of the chapter each character had settled into his or her own voice, and I figured out what was going on. You've made the two Loises and the two Clarks separate people without changing their identities, and I really liked the counsel each older one gave to his/her younger counterpart.

This was really poignant.

“I used to think Clark Kent was a bit of a wimp,” Lois explained. “He seemed naïve and out of place in the city. But he did stand up to me once, that time I stole his story. You remember. Anyway, then I got here and I thought that I was you. I thought I had a huge case of amnesia and was going to have to figure out how to live this life.” She made a vague gesture toward the refrigerator covered in the detritus of life with kids. “It was pretty overwhelming, and Clark was a really big help. I caught on pretty quick that Clark Kent was anything but a wimp. But after a while it seemed like he was always the one taking the initiative, and I was just sort of following along. I started to worry that being married to him had changed me somehow, made me more passive.

“Then you turned up and I could tell that wasn’t the case. You don’t just follow along where he leads. You’re not afraid to argue with him. And he respects you. I saw what you did just now when Clark wanted to send me back without my memory. You’re married to the strongest man in the world, but he doesn’t dominate you. You stood up to Superman.”

“I stood up to Clark Kent. But I think you understand that already.” Lane gave Lois the gentlest look she knew how. “What you’re asking about is the heart of marriage. In the best marriages, love doesn’t mean losing who you are. It means being encouraged and supported in being the best person you can be. Clark and I love each other with our whole hearts. He’s not perfect, and neither am I. But we don’t have to be. We accept each other, warts and all, and we help each other. I couldn’t thrive in a relationship where I had to hold back, afraid that the other person was going to crack or flee if I showed a little temper now and then. And Clark couldn’t thrive in a relationship where he had to worry about showing who he really is, either. He needs a partner who is as strong as he is. And so do I. We’re stronger together than either of us could be alone. That’s how real love works.”

Lois seemed to be mulling over Lane’s answer. After a moment she said thoughtfully, “Yeah, he said something like that. That it takes a will like mine to put up with his crazy life.”

That remark earned a laugh from Lane. “And vice-versa,” she replied with a knowing smile.
She's telling herself to trust herself and that she can trust her heart to Clark. But now that Clark has seen what might be and has developed a relationship with the older Lois, that might throw a monkey wrench into the gears (or a spanner in the works, depending on what English you speak). And either of them might feel "forced" towards the other, which would create some very nice dramatic tension in your next installment.

Of course, we need to see the next chapter of this one first. So when are you posting?

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#62675 04/15/09 04:02 AM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Originally posted by Terry Leatherwood:
It's happening to me, right now, with the tale I'm working on (and which is almost ready for beta).
/hijacks thread momentarily/

Is that the Road story?!?!?!

/ends hijack till Terry answers/

#62676 04/17/09 01:01 PM
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
Well, it's all hitting the fan now. I think it's interesting how the two not-couples are in such different situations. Wells returned them to a previous timeline so those living in/visiting the future didn't experience the time needed to get used to the dichotomy of the new normal. Perhaps that's part of the reason why there's a lot of tension for Pops. He hasn't had the time to miss Lois or to realize how much like Lois that Lois is. He hasn't experienced what his wife has.

I have the feeling that James would be jealous of himself too. He would probably end up telling me that he didn't care that it didn't make sense; he felt it anyway.

I loved Lois' poignant description of marriage. The strength of unity wed to the joys of individuality.

Elisabeth

#62677 04/18/09 10:43 AM
A
Features Writer
Features Writer
A
“If you keep calling me "Junior,' I'm going to have to start calling you "Pops.'”
This made me actually laugh out loud.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard