Print Thread
C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
So there it is.

Is it worthy of the beginning Tank gave us? Eh, I'm not sure, but the muse was working so I wrote it. If anyone else has, too, please post!

I would like to point out that this is the first fic I remember where Tank said something at least semi-nice about Jimmy - that he and Lucy together would be okay with Lois.

Anyway... Thoughts?

Carol

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oooh, I like it! Tank had put Lois into such a desperate situation! Now, sometimes I'm in the mood for tragedy, angst, and drama. But tonight I'm in the mood for WAFFy romance and happy endings. Plus a revelation without a lot of yelling.

Yeah, I was surprised that Tank said something nice about Jimmy too! But then, it was Lois saying it, and she likes Jimmy (mostly) and she thought she was writing her last will and testament. So her character comes through.

B
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
B
Awwww! That was sweet!

I love the frustration she has with her "leaps of logic" and the jokes keeping the mood light as well as waffy, especially since it could so easily have turned dark/angsty.

Nice job! smile

Bethy

I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Beautiful ending. And I just loved Lois trying to figure out the Other Side.

"Yes." I patted the bed next to me. "Come sit by me and talk to me until my next round of painkillers kick in. I took them right before you got here. But in about ten minutes," I warned, "I can't be held responsible for anything I might say. They make me loopy."

He grinned at me. "That could be fun." He walked around to the other side of the bed and sat on top of the covers.
Hm. Huh. I wonder what Lois Lane would talk about, if she were doped to the moon and back...

Great part,
JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
Carol, That was a perfect ending.
Sue

Merriwether
Merriwether
Well, that fixed it nicely. Clark getting there just in time is much better than Clark getting there just a minute too late. wink

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Kerth
Kerth
Of course someone evil could write a third part in which it turns out that the 2nd part is a hallucination; she realised Clark was Superman as she was dying and dreamed a happy ending...

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Beautiful.

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
Nicely done. I'm glad it was Perry who was with her when she awakened, since she needed her pseudo-daddy at a time like that.

BTW, too many painkillers might be fun, but not as much fun as James on methylprednisone.

Elisabeth

T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Isn't it amazing! Carol wrote exactly the ending I was thinking of (no, really, would I lie to you?).

Nicely done. I probably would have wrapped it up much quicker than you did since I'm basically pretty lazy. I'm sure the gentle readers are glad you took up the reins (I surely am).

Thanks for giving my little throw-away vignette a well written 'happily ever after'. It was appropriately all 'warm and fuzzy'.

Tank (who is disappointed that Carol didn't mangage to find a way for Lois to get a haircut though)

C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
Whhhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tank liked it!

I'll see if I can edit in a haircut smile .

More later to everyone else - gotta make room to store bunk beds until the other bedroom is ready for them - got a GREAT deal on bunk beds w/ trundle, mattresses *and* bedding [incl. throw pillows] on Craigslist and DH/friend are going to get them.

Carol

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
YAY! rotflol rotflol
"I was thinking about giving them to your fish, but then I thought what would a fish do with flowers so I thought I'd give them to you."
I'm posting this before I read the other responses.
This was great. I vote for a definite pair-up and send it to the Archive. It'll be a hot contender for next years WAFFy Kerth!
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
More than worthy! That was beautiful. THANK YOU for not leaving us where Tank did! (now I know where the Tank ending thing came from)

LOIS:I don't like you.
MAYSON: Really? Oh god, that is such a relief - I don't like you either.
LOIS: That makes me feel so much better
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Because of my hangups (and those who have been around for a while know what I mean) I didn't read Tank's vignette. (But I love you anyway, Tank, like everyone here.) I did read your part, Carol, and I liked it. But probably because of Tank's part one, I was not in my most enthusiastic mood when I read it, so the fact that I liked your part is probably the only feedback you'll get from me, sorry. Okay, I should really thank you for saving Lois from the jaws of death! smile

But I want to comment on something that Marcus said:

Of course someone evil could write a third part in which it turns out that the 2nd part is a hallucination; she realised Clark was Superman as she was dying and dreamed a happy ending...
Hmmmm. I once read a story by Ursula K. LeGuin. In that story, we follow a young couple as they fight a mysterious enemy who sometimes seems to have supernatural powers. Anyway, at the end of the book the young man suddenly realizes that he is dead! No, scratch that, he realizes that he is dying. He remembers that, yes, before he met the girl and started to fight the enemy, he was the victim of some sort of attack. And not just him, but a lot of people. It was... in fact... a bomb that had been dropped on, oh, say, Washington DC. The young man himself hadn't suffered a direct hit, but it was bad enough that he was in fact dying. He reluctantly explained the situation to the girl - who, by the way, was actually a figment of the imagination of his dying brain. He was dreaming her as he was dying.

The girl listened and understood. But then she told her young man that they might as well keep on loving each other for as long as he was able to dream her. And who knows how long your own sense of time and life will last when you are dying? Maybe, objectively, he only had a few more minutes to live. But subjectively, inside his own brain, he might be able to fit an entire lifetime into those few minutes.

I loved that story! clap

Ann

Columnist
Columnist
Carol, that was a really sweet ending. I enjoyed it very much.

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
It is an excellent follow-up, Carol. I was impressed that the tone didn't change from part one to part two.

When I say "tone," I mean the feel of the dialogue and the descriptions, the pacing, and the attitude of the story. It's more than just the point of view and the verb tense used. Carol, you were able to duplicate the "feel" of Tank's opening segment - which was already very good but which also benefited greatly from the additions he made - and completed it seamlessly. And that's not an easy task. I salute you.

And I also salute you for the revelation. No fireworks, no huge blowup, no fight, and no quick and easy resolution. I like it that Lois accepted Clark's dual identity, and I also like it that she told him that she needed time to assimilate the two identities into one. It's what I'd expect of a healthy and mature woman.

Job well done, Tank and Carol. I think we have a new challenge team going here.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Great fix, Carol clap

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
Good way to fix it. I'm not in the mood for tragedy these days. Real life is full of tragedy, so I'm ready to just absorb happy endings for the foreseeable future.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
Blogger
Blogger
OK I didn't even read the author to this part of the fic; I just thought that it was a continuation (I blame it on the exceptionally stressful week at work). Carol, I am not shocked that you wrote such an amazing piece, it is more amazement that it went so beautifully with Tank's. It's kinda like one artist starting a painting and another finishing it and it blending so perfectly into one piece that you can't imagine 4it any other way. Absolutely wonderful!!! thumbsup

Here…poke that.
C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
/waves/

Okay - back with FDK smile .

Or FDK on FDK...

wink

Iolan - glad you liked it smile .

BETHY!!!! Thanks for the kind words here and in chat!

JD - I loved the 'Other Side' stuff too!

Sue - thanks!

Karen - yes it is, isn't it?

Marcus - yes, they could but the only person who would do that is... well... Tank...

James - thanks!

Elisabeth - I bet James is fun wink . I agree - having Perry there was good for her.

Tank - yes, I think you would lie! But I'm glad that you liked it anyway.

Artemis - thank you. Not sure where that came from but I giggled at it...

Bella - thank you!

Ann - glad you read it and liked it!

cp33 - thanks!

Terry - thank you for your post in the other thread that helped inspire! And thank you for the wonderful compliments!

Michael - thank you!

Nan - yes it is. Happy endings are good smile . So more Degrees of Separation is coming right?

Oneredneckgoddess - thank you so much!

Thanks again everyone!!
Carol

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard