Next Thread
Print Thread
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
What an intensely emotional and gripping chapter. I wanted to clap my hands over my eyes when I read this:

“Lois,” he was using a louder voice than I had expected, but I still didn't say anything. I hadn't even finished getting up the stairs – one foot was on the landing, but the other was still on the staircase and I couldn't seem to make myself move.

“Lois, I'm sorry,” he said, but I still said nothing.

“Hey.” Now his voice was soft. And in fact, now he was using his voice rather than… I turned around. Clark was behind me. He was the person who had been calling to me before. Of course he was – Clark – the man I had just kissed. Not Chad, my husband. What did he have to be sorry for?

Clark looked past me and saw Chad. I saw the color drain from his face and then suddenly he was all flushed.
Lois is running away from Clark, she comes home and sees Chad - who is definitely the last person she wants to meet at that very moment - and she hears Chad calling out to her. Only it isn't Chad. It is Clark who has come running after her, and in spite of his superpowers he is distraught enough to miss the presence of Chad. Until he is staring right into Chad's eyes, after he has just caught up with Chad's wife, while calling her name and pleading with her. How much more embarrassing can things get????

So Lois has to make a choice. She has to choose between Clark and Chad. I love how thoughtfully you wrote this chapter, how you showed us Lois's doubts, stalling and hesitation. And I love how slowly Lois was coming to a realization of her own true feelings. At first, while she knew that she had to choose whether or not to take back Chad fully into her life again, she wasn't even thinking that she was choosing between Chad and Clark. She was choosing between Chad and not-Chad. It wasn't until the very end of this chapter that she realized what kind of choice she was really making:

I couldn't imagine my life without Clark in it? Clark? How could that be?

Not that it mattered. One quick glance up into his face and I knew it was true. I couldn't picture my life without Clark in it. Or I could, but didn't want to – couldn't bear the thought.

I had walked away from the man I had been in love with since I was sixteen, but somehow, imagining a life without Clark was too hard to contemplate.
Lovely. And all us diehard LnC fans - by that I mean Lois and Clark fans, not Lois and Chad fans - all of us are delighted. But again I want to thank you for writing Lois so carefully, for making her commitment to Chad so honest and true. But this chapter was such a perfect way of showing her when that commitment must finally end, and give way to another commitment.

Ann

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I had walked away from the man I had been in love with since I was sixteen, but somehow, imagining a life without Clark was too hard to contemplate.
smile1

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
R
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
R
what a wonderful poignant chapter. I could feel Lois' emotion and indecision. What decision will she make? neither is the wrong one. However I do believe we can outgrow someone and still love them especially when 2 people (Chad and Lois) have distinctly different, strong desires out of life

robinson
Top Banana
Top Banana
I just knew that Chad was pushing Lois toward Clark! There is so much more to a relationship than love and I think Lois irs realizing that.

My eyes widened as I said it, and I leaned back against the couch. What the heck did that mean? I couldn’t imagine my life without Clark in it? Clark? How could that be?

Not that it mattered. One quick glance up into his face and I knew it was true. I couldn’t picture my life without Clark in it. Or I could, but didn’t want to – couldn’t bear the thought.

I think this about sums it up for Lois.

I love this!

~Sheila

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Sad as it is for Chad (and Lois), the universe is coming back in balance and things will soon be as they should.

Lois has to be Lois Lane, not Lois Andrews. And she has to be with Clark Kent.

That's just the way things are.

Top Banana
Top Banana
The developments were totally natural and did not seem forced at all. smile1

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
A
Features Writer
Features Writer
A
Thanks, everyone!

Ann - Yes, I've known for a long time that Lois was going to have to choose between Chad and Clark. That wasn't my original intention, but somehow from early on I could feel the story going there.

To be clear, though, I don't think Lois has made as much of a decision as you think she has. She is still in love with Chad which means he's not a bad choice for her and he is comfortable.

Well, I was going to say more, but I'm pretty sure most of what I was going to say is in the next chapter, so I'll wait.

But thank you - I'm glad Lois is still showing her true feelings for Chad. Early on, I sent an email to Beth with where I wanted this story to go and I asked her at the time if she thought it was possible for Lois to get to a point of being attracted to Clark without seeming sort of... not sure the right word, but like she wasn't taking her commitment to Chad seriously, so it's been a concern from the beginning. I'm glad to hear that so far I've succeeded.

Michael - Still more Chad conversation in chapter 35, so you'll soon see what Chad notices.

robinson - I think you are very right and that is precisely where Lois is right now. She still loves Chad and as a result, it would not be a mistake for her to decide to stay married. She and Chad would need to come to a decision on how to deal better with their different desires in life, but given how much they love each other, I think they could do that. However, it requires them to truly decide if they are willing to make the compromises that entails - I don't see any solutions for them that involves them settling in Metropolis or Smallville that isn't likely to lead them back here in a few years.

Still, Lois has been in love with Chad for years and he is comfortable, so I can also see her (or Chad) making that decision and not realizing that they haven't solved anything yet.

Sheila - I don't think Chad pushed Lois towards Clark. I think Lois and Clark have things in common that Lois and Chad don't and those things have led to a close friendship. And given Chad's absence, they've really been able to let that grow. But I don't see it as Chad pushing them together - I think that would either mean he intentially did this knowing it would mean Lois would develop feelings for Clark, or that while he didn't mean for her to develop those feelings, he was truly awful to Lois or something so that she felt no guilt about turning to Clark. I don't think either is true.

IolantheAlias - I'm not sure I agree that Lois needs to be with Clark. I struggled a lot with this and really thought I could see this story going in both directions. I won't say where I went, but I will say that while my first inclination was definitely for Lois to end up with Clark, I can really see her staying with Chad as well. This universe is not the same as the one we're used to and this Lois is not the same either. She may need something different.

AnKS - Thank you! This is exactly right. I don't think Lois' attraction to Clark means that she needs to end up with him. Most people are attracted to more than one person over the course of their life. You choose to share your live with the person who you fit best with, but that doesn't suddenly mean past attractions weren't really there. Lois could decide this is the wake-up call she needed to see that things with Chad were what she wanted all along and she needs to work on that relationship harder. I think, basically, that she still has a decision to make. That last line was a shock for her as well as for us, but it doesn't define her choice, just means that she needs to make one - which could be to choose to stay with Chad, or to get together with Clark, or she could choose neither.

Okay, expect Chapter 35 shortly.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard