Next Thread
Print Thread
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Nancy, I have so horribly little time because I'm off to see my mother who is in hospital, but I have to say that I read this part and liked it. Now I'm looking forward to the rest of this fic!

Ann

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Yay, another installment! And double yay, that this fic is almost done and we could possibly be getting multiple posts very soon! You do have another fic in the works right, so we won't be going through withdrawal symptoms right?

I'm "glad" to see the Lois and Chad breakup progress. I expected Lois to be miserable, which she was, and I'm happy to see that diving into work (and even chocolate) is not entirely fixing things.

I like that Lois called Clark the most human person she knows. Clark is the critical support system Lois needs to get through this personal crisis. Yet, in this chapter, you nicely highlight that Clark is getting his needed support from Lois as well.

I have no idea how you're going to end this, but looking forward to reading what you choose.

A
Features Writer
Features Writer
A
Thanks, Ann and grinch!

Ann - I hope your mother is okay and it's nothing too serious. Thank you for leaving any feedback at all when you clearly have something much more important going on!

Grinch - I thought you may enjoy this chapter. I'm not sure why, but I thought you may have half expected that the last chapter was the end of Lois and Chad. Since I am going for a happy ending, clearly she won't be "grieving" for forever, but I don't think any sort of ending (with Chad, Clark, or someone else entirely) would be believable without us seeing her emotions as she tries to move on.

And you will definitely see Clark's role ramping up as more than just Lois' support system. This is still first and foremost a Lois fic, but now that she is in Metropolis, we will continue to get glimpses of their relationship from Clark's perspective as well.

I do have another story in the works and it's even started (I had really not intended to do so as I have a ton of reading to do for the Kerths and I've fallen behind on keeping up with other posts on here as well), but I think it will be awhile before I post it. I've been bad about keeping track of where I've mentioned this and where I haven't, so in case I haven't here before now - I'm pregnant and expecting at the end of June. So, given my current writing frequency, I'm hesitant to start posting a story I'm not sure I'll be able to finish before the baby is born.

Probably just because this is my first, I have a hard time imagining what my free time is going to look like after that. I certainly expect (hope?) that I'll have some time to write, but since I also expect that it will be even less than now and that there is some time right afterwards where I won't have any free time, I'd feel badly posting and then disappearing for a few months. So, I want to either get to a place where I'm sure this story will be finished beforehand, or just wait until after the baby is born to start posting.

But of course, I may have some shorter pieces crop up before then. This next story is likely shorter than this one, but not by a lot, but I have a couple of other half-started ideas, some of which are only a few chapters at most.

Right now, I'm just excited to finish this. I'm hoping my next story won't sink into quite so depressing a place. smile

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Congratulations, Nancy smile

Back to FDK: Well, it certainly looks like Lois is going to reinvent herself as Lois Lane, intrepid reporter very soon but right now she really seems lost and gravitating towards anything providing herself with some perspective of a future, i.e. Clark. So, the obvious thing is to read Lois falling for Clark into this, but that's just because this is a LnC board blush

Michael smile1

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Yes, congratulations! smile

My mom is doing okay. She has had a knee operation - her knee joint was all worn out, and she has had some sort of prosthetic device put in - her prognosis is good, as she has already had her other knee done, and it went well. But she is old and she has several other health problems, so an operation at her age is always a bit scary.

I agree with Grinch. You showed us Lois's emotional reactions to her breakup very well. I like that you are taking things slowly. Lois spent so many years with Chad that she can't just move on as if nothing has happened.

I really liked Clark's observation here:

“Maybe… maybe Chad isn't the right person for you. I think he's great,” he rushed to add. “And I know he loves you terribly.”

“And I do him,” I added.

Clark nodded. “I know. But maybe… I don't know how to say this.” He paused to sigh. “I guess I thought for years that Rachel and I were perfect together. But now I wonder. I loved her so much and I know she loved me. But if we were really perfect for each other… wouldn't we want compatible things out of life? And if we don't, doesn't that mean we're not perfect for each other, even if we love each other?”
That's so true.

I had a lot of fun at this:

When we'd go visit Mom's folks in Boston, I loved it. I think ever since I was a little boy I felt like I belonged someplace like that more than Smallville.”

“You were a city boy,” I laughed.
Clark, a city boy? Who'd'a thunk?

Grinch said this:

I like that Lois called Clark the most human person she knows. Clark is the critical support system Lois needs to get through this personal crisis. Yet, in this chapter, you nicely highlight that Clark is getting his needed support from Lois as well.
I agree. I hope that Lois and Clark can eventually move past the stage where they are just each other's support system, and become a real loving couple. But for now, this is enough.

Ann

A
Features Writer
Features Writer
A
Thanks, Michael and Ann!

I'm not promising a Lois/Clark ending. Not ruling it out, mind you, just not promising. But I do understand that this is a Lois/Clark Board, Michael, and that is where people immediately expect things to go.

Ann - I'm so glad your mom is okay. Knee replacement is pretty common here in the States, but I agree that as people get older, surgery gets a bit scarier. So, I'm glad your mom came through okay.

Thank you. I'm glad Lois' emotions are coming through as they will continue to be important throughout. I see the "conflict" in this story as largely internal and it continues to be that way until the end.

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Congratulations Nancy, that's wonderful news, and Ann, I'm so happy to hear your Mum's doing better. My grandmother's is in need of double knee replacement, and with her age, just thinking about the upcoming surgery makes us all scared.

A happy ending. There's so many different endings that could be written that could be labelled happy, depending upon the perspective. I'm looking forward to see which one you chose.

On a complete aside, in reading the Kerth stories, I just read "Out of Her Element." I didn't get a chance to provide feedback for this on the boards, but just wanted to tell you that I loved this viginette. Nancy, you have an uncanny ability to write about real life and still bring out the fantasy element. I really hope you'll be able to continue sharing your stories with us.

A
Features Writer
Features Writer
A
Thanks, grinch! Sorry, I'm just getting to this. The week was just as bad as I had expected, but I have high hopes that next week will start a downturn to slightly shorter work days.

I hope your grandmother's surgery goes well. My understanding is that knee surgery is really pretty low-risk for surgery (I do realize this is sort of like saying a particular type of gun is safe for a gun, but still...). Plus, on the plus side, it's great that your grandmother is still mobile enough that having knee surgery makes sense.

And thanks for letting me know you enjoyed "Out of Her Element".

I definitely hope that I won't fall off the face of the earth for too long after the baby is born. I expect that I will for some time (my old boss told me that when she first got home from the hospital, her goal was to get one thing done a day and that was often something like checking email or showering, so I think I can expect my online time to be pretty limited for awhile), but want to get back to a place where I have some time for me as well. Much less, I expect, but I don't want my identity to be completely wrapped up in work and baby, either.

Actually, I've had two computers for work for a long time, but they are taking one away in the next couple of weeks which will require me to bring my laptop back and forth every day now. I often get some writing done on the train when I have my computer with me, so that may be the time I use to write in the future. Presuming having a baby in the house doesn't mean I'm comatose during that time. wink

Look for the next part of Breaking Up soon...

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard