Kerth
Feedback here.

Thanks!

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Awwww...

As much as I would have liked him to kiss her I think it was smart of him not to.

More soon please!!!

Carol

S
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
S
this is wonderful (not to mention the quick posting). I like that lois is still herself - hard-hitting, take no prisoners - but has a soft spot that she recognizes. yet it always frustrates me how she never sees the evil luthor for what he is....keep em coming!

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A real quick FDK here - I'm loving the romantic tension!

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I liked this part. I loved how Lois was there for Clark at Janet Thorp's funeral. This was excellent and very beautiful:

Clark revisited his scant memories of Janet Thorp as he walked, hands thrust deep in his pockets. It was so unspeakably sad that a life could end without causing so much as a ripple through the surrounding world. Her aloneness seemed to seep out of the casket and cling to him.

Then Clark felt a soft touch on his sleeve. He looked sideways. Lois. Lois - looking up at him, her eyes sweet with empathy. His despair evaporated.

Without saying a word, she lifted his wrist out of his pocket and slipped her hand into his. Her hand was small and warm and as his fingers curled around hers, a rivulet of well-being trickled up his arm.

He looked from their entwined hands back to her face. He squeezed her hand and was rewarded with her answering smile.
Up until now, I've been wondering what reason Clark might have had for being interested in Lois Lane. She seemed to have nothing to offer him, since she was as bitchy as she was dense. But here, she really shows caring. And I love how you describe Clark's reaction to her empathy.

This was great, too:

Lois hurried on. “Either you’ll give up and go home.”

“Or?”

“You’ll stay and slowly become more resentful and more cynical ... and that would be ... just awful.”

“So ... you don’t want me to stay,” he said, confused. “And ... you don’t want me to leave?”
Lovely!

“Why don’t you want me to leave?” he asked quietly.

There was no graceful way to back out of this. “Because I like you being here,” she blurted.

His smile exploded. He was trying to keep it a little contained and failing dismally. “I like being here too,” he said, through a heart-stopping grin.
Adorable!

I still think Lois is falling short in several ways, though. I frankly don't know what Perry was talking about when he said this to Clark:

“She’s a tornado, but if you can stick with her, you’ll learn a lot.”
Learn? What can Clark learn from someone who is as stupid as this Lois is?

I think it's awful to consider that just maybe Janet Thorp died because Lois was so awfully uninterested in her story. Lois was so dead certain that Lex was into no foul play, so she wouldn't listen to a word Janet Thorp would say. And she persuaded Clark not to talk to her any more, either. That's awful! Lois's stupidity may have killed another person!

At the very least, Lois is giving some thoughts to the Sewells, and she understands that something weird was going on in Smallville. That's something, at least.

Well, I'm looking forward to more of this, and I hope Lois will shape up!

Ann

BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I enjoyed this part very much. Clark is unsure of his abilities enough to question Perry about the decision to hire him, but confident enough to stick it out in Metropolis. Go Clark!

Lois has been extremely hard on Clark (and as a result, hard on her story subjects too), but I suspect that's because it's a last-ditch attempt to avoid falling in love with Clark (or at least acknowledging it). Since we can see her thoughts, *we* know it's too late, but she tries to distance herself nonetheless.

The bit about Janet Thorpe's funeral was so sad. The only reason I can see why no old friends (from high school or college or friends of her mother's) would be there is that they stayed away because of Luthor. It would be nice if Clark could stumble onto that.

I loved how compassionate Lois was with Clark. It proves to me that her hard-candy shell is only protection for her soft, sweet insides.

Ann said:
I think it's awful to consider that just maybe Janet Thorp died because Lois was so awfully uninterested in her story....Lois's stupidity may have killed another person!
I don't think it was stupidity, but rather a lack of reference for understanding Janet's life. When Janet said she wouldn't sell her place to Luthor because of her mother, Lois could only see sentimentality as the reason. Since Lois has no fond memories of time with her own parents and no feelings of loyalty toward them for the life they'd shared, Lois couldn't understand Janet's actions. If anything, she acted a little unprofessionally by being biased towards Luthor.

Remember also this is a *Children's Hospital* that Luthor is building. Luthor is at his height of popularity and his philanthropic diversionary tactics are fooling everyone without super-hearing.

Last thing - we don't know why Lois showed up at Janet's funeral. Did she go down there for Clark? Or did she go down there because Lois really does care about people. We know from "The Ides of Metropolis" that Lois takes it very personally when one of her sources gets killed. We haven't seen into Lois' mind, but she very well could have turned up at Janet's funeral because she's worried about this exact thing - that she could have somehow prevented it.

Great story.
Brenda

A
Columnist
Columnist
A
Another great part! I was surprised (in a good way) that Lois showed up at the funeral.

There are a lot of threads in this story...I'm very interested to see where this goes!

Amber

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Really great! Keep it coming!
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
i am enjoying this soooo much!!! THANK YOU! I love how Lois isn't trying to talk her way out of her feelings with Clark (well, much)

Can't wait to read more!

LOIS:I don't like you.
MAYSON: Really? Oh god, that is such a relief - I don't like you either.
LOIS: That makes me feel so much better
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
The ending was so funny. Since Clark isn't here, Lois is stuck with the school gym. Hilarious!

Elisabeth

Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Carol - Thanks. Clark is *very* different to every other man she's known. wink

Sarah - If she saw straight through Luthor, it would be a very short story. But I agree, it is frustrating. Hopefully enduring the frustration makes the conclusion more satisfying. Thanks so much for your FDK.

Iolanthe - what can I say, except... thanks!

Ann - I'm glad you like the development away from Lois's bitchiness. Now we just have to work on getting her smarter!!

Thanks for you amazingly detailed FDK. It's always fun to read.

Brenda - re Janet - my thinking was that trying to run a business out of a shack left little time to maintain friendships. I was also trying to add to the idea that it is possible to live amongst millions of people in a big city and be totally alone.

You're right about Lois and her lack of motherly input. Had she had Martha Kent for a mother, Lois would be a very different character.

Thanks for all your indepth FDK.

Amber - It's always nice to hear a part was unexpected. Thanks.

Artemis - thanks. There's a new part today. I'm planning to wait a couple of days, then post parts 5 and 6 close together.

Bellarata - Off topic - Did you know there is an Australian city called Ballarat? Every time I type your name, I think of that.

Back on topic - Thanks. I'm so glad you're enjoying it. I prefer writing soft Lois than hard Lois, so I enjoyed those bits too.

Elisabeth - Glad you enjoyed it. I could imagine Lois being particularly ticked off by how things fell. Thanks.

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hmm, looks like I'm a bit late to the party peep

They are so cute together and I think Clark has a serious death wish. First he doesn't kiss her, then he has the gall to smile at her, and finally he takes off with a lead without her AND she ends up covering an opening. Yep, he's so dead laugh

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
FDK is always appreciated, Michael. smile Being 'late' isn't a problem at all.

Yep, he's so dead
wink wink

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard