Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Artemis Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Oh, she posted! Oh, just a great part,BJ. Shot in the butt, but missing the critical area. wink
[Linked Image]
Here's your cheesecake. I hope you like chocolate wink
cool
Artemis [Linked Image]
A twofer!

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
ooo yay!

All the bad guys are dead!

That Kryptonite still needs to be dealt with.

Lois will be very wealthy once all the bad money is sorted out from the good if possible.

I didn't get cookies made yet but have to tonight so I'll send some of them if it'll make you post 18 sooner.

Carol

Kerth
Kerth
the only good thing about Clark’s pain is that it’ll debunk any lingering suspicions.
Personally, I was worried that Trask would connect the dots when he saw that box o'kryptonite.

Fantastic – the delusional fanatic against a homicidal megalomaniac.
And here I sit, without popcorn…

Irreverently, the first thing to cross my mind is to wonder when Clark changed into jeans. The second is to register where he was hit.
Bwahahahahahaa!

You should still get that checked out.
I bravely volunteer to check out Clark's backside, er, wound. Me! Pick me! <waves hand frantically>

Once again, I'm impressed by your ability to weave action into the story seamlessly. I must be a terrible and bloodthirsty person because I cheered when Lex was killed. Good riddance! Now just make sure that they cremate him so no one can bring him back to torment them again (but if you could get Gretchen Kelly to bring back Perry, I don't think anyone would complain).

I was so delighted (and relieved) when Henderson showed up. Loved the witty quips mixed in with the action and the way both Lois and Clark were trying to save each other.

“If you include this in the story, I’m never speaking to you again,”
Oh, this was perfect. I loved how the laughter turned over to tears and he was able to comfort her. <big happy sigh> Bring on the WAFFy ending! hyper wildguy

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yay, Lex is dead! I know Lois wanted him to be publicly humiliated and end up in jail, but that'd be a dangerous process, and she'd have to go through some sort of divorce proceedings, which might have taken roughly forever. This may be less satisfying, but it's vastly simpler.

Good riddance to Trask, too.

Things still not be returning to normal -- will there be a Daily Planet without Perry? But they should be much more peaceful.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
I totally hadn't seen that coming, but what else would happen when you pair up a homicidal megalomaniac with a delusional fanatic? And of course Clark would get injured in the padded places, seeing how he was crawling to safety at the time. (BTW, that should totally go into the article, even if it is just a veiled reference to one civilian being non-critically injured.)

There's so much that is said here and so much that goes beyond saying. Beautifully written!

Elisabeth

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

And now Lois is the widow of the third richest man in the world. Unless all his assets remain frozen, including his legitimate ones.

Michael smile1

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Artemis Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
I think the Superman Foundation has just been founded.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Kerth
Kerth
I love how the two threads of the story - Lex and Trask - came together. Of course, having read it, it's obvious, but I didn't see it coming, not like that, anyway.

I'm really looking forward to a great final chapter. Everything is set up beautifully.

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! The A-plot horribilitiness is over!!!! hyper hyper hyper

I can just see Clark dressed in his jeans and wounded in his sweet little... ummm, you know. I half expected Lois to start digging the bullet out from where it was lodged! Ah, but it wasn't a kryptonite bullet, so immediate removal was not necessary!

And Clark took a bullet for Lois, even though he was powerless and the bullet might easily have killed him. TOGOM, you have nothing on this fic.

My eyes fill with tears again. &#8220;You took a bullet for me, knowing it could kill you.&#8221;

&#8220;Always,&#8221; he says.

Clark smiles tenderly and places his hand on my cheek and I cover it with my own, leaning into his tender caress. His eyes are shining with a light I never thought I would see directed at me, filled with a love I never thought I would receive. My eyes shimmer with a new kind of unshed tears and my breath hitches with the knowledge that Clark loves me. With that thought, my heart fills to bursting, banishing the numbness.

&#8220;My hero.&#8221;
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!! sloppy sloppy sloppy

Ann

Top Banana
Top Banana
Hi BJ. smile1

Bob

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
If anyone asks Clark where he got shot, he'll just say, "In Lex Luthor's office."

Excellent almost-ending, BJ. You have sustained the tension and the immediacy all the way through this excellent story. Unlike Ann, I really liked the "A-plot horribilitiness." (Didn't know that word, but I'm willing to expand my vocabulary.) Having Luthor and Trask confront each other was a brilliant touch. And Lex's megalomania would have prevented him from accepting that he couldn't defeat a squad of military-trained men with just one pistol, especially when he had no cover or any escape plan in place.

(Oh, the clicking sound Lois heard and identified as guns being cocked was probably the safeties being switched off. Trask's men would have come in locked and loaded with weapons ready to fire. I'm something of a gun nut with no weapons in the house.)

Loves that Lois is now the third-richest person in the world. Even if Luthor's assets are frozen, she'll have some access to some money. And because she's the one who started the investigation into his career, it's highly unlikely that she'll be prosecuted in any way. It would take Mrs. Cox, Nigel, and Asabi all telling the same very believable story about her to implicate her, and I can't see those three doing anything except their best to save their own respective skins.

I'm glad that Clark and Lois each know how the other feels. But I still believe that Lois needs some time by herself to regain her self-image and self-respect. Yes, she's free of Luthor's presence, but he'll always be in the back of her mind, waiting to pop up once more and psychologically disable her.

All in all, this was very well done. And I have no doubt that the final chapter will be the perfect topper to this excellent story.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I cheered too when Lex dropped dead. As previous posters have said, it's just so much simpler.

That Henderson guy sure gets around. But you know, maybe the MPD presence wasn't the SWAT team, maybe it was just the regular guys going in there, expecting to make a routine arrest (as much as any arrest of a billionaire can be routine). They certainly didn't expect to walk in on a firefight.

“Thank God it’s you.” I say with relief, following it closely with an irritated, “What the hell took you so long?”
That's Lois, right there.

“What happened to Trask?” I ask. “Are they …”

Henderson shakes his head. “He and his men are dead.”
And #2 on the "so much simpler" list! Great job eliminating the psycho fanatic too!

I sputter with laughter and then as the shock of what happened starts to wear off, I laugh harder until I’m unable to stop. At some point the laughing turns to sobbing and I feel Clark move next to me, wrapping his arms around me. Before I know it, he’s holding me tightly while the hurt, humiliation, fear and anger bleed out through cleansing tears.
And this was so poignant....

R
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
R
I continue to love this story. It is wonderful.

And now that Lois is so rich she can reopen the daily planet in memory of Perry and she still gets her revenge against Lex.

robinson
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Oh, you guys certainly know how to make a gal feel appreciated. Thanks for all the lovely comments.

Artemis Thanks for starting the feedback and for the twofer cheesecake. My mouth is watering over here it looks so great! I'm glad you got a kick out of Clark's ...erm, wound. <g>

Carol I'm taking notes and going back to part 18 to make sure I didn't miss anything. <bg> Actually, no one will actually believe I thought of anything on my own - all one has to do is listen to the gentle readers. laugh

I didn't get cookies made yet but have to tonight so I'll send some of them if it'll make you post 18 sooner.
I've gained five pounds between since I posted part 15. grumble

Sue,
I was worried that Trask would connect the dots when he saw that box o'kryptonite.
I thought of that, but decided that my Trask was just unhinged enough that he wouldn't. Better to have him focus on his "take over his mind" theory, don't you think?

And here I sit, without popcorn…
LOL! I so love the Tempus reference.

I bravely volunteer to check out Clark's backside, er, wound. Me! Pick me!
rotflol You win. I've sent him back to your closet and he's in desperate need of some TLC. Be gentle.
I must be a terrible and bloodthirsty person because I cheered when Lex was killed.
/me chokes with laughter. Yes, the bloodlust is quite concerning, isn't it? Don't worry, I said the same thing during my first brainstorming session with Kathy Brown. I got over my mental health concerns in about 2 seconds, though, because Kathy thought it was a *great* idea.

Thanks again for laughing in all the right places, for the confirmation that the action worked out well with the humor and hurt/comfort.

Pam I'm glad that you're happy with the way I ended things for Trask and Lex. There is something about Lex dying that's just a pinch too easy. He did so many bad things, so shouldn't he have to live a long time with the consequences? It would only be fair. However I agree with you (which is why I wrote it this way), killing him off was just a lot simpler (and safer) for Lois.
Things still not be returning to normal
frown I know. But Lois will do her best to make things right.

Elisabeth Yay! I'm glad I surprised you, both with the confrontation between Lex/Trask and with Clark's injury laugh
There's so much that is said here and so much that goes beyond saying. Beautifully written!
/me sniffles. Aw, thank you, kind lady.

Michael Thanks for the huge WaFFy comment. Yes, about that money. I wonder what Lois should do with it...?

Artemis Great suggestion. Thanks for coming back.

Female Hawk Thanks for your comments and for appreciating the circling around of the Trask/Luthor threads. It warms my heart that you found it satisfying and a bit surprising.

The A-plot horribilitiness is over!!!!
LOL! I'm glad to make you so happy, Ann. I'm glad that Clark's backside provided so many of you with amusement (including me laugh ). Thanks again for sticking with me to the end in spite of Lex.

Bob Thank you for the compliments and affirmations for both parts 16 & 17. I love the melt-into-goo smilie!

Terry "horribilitiness" should probably be categorized in that use-only-in-an-emergency pile with 'chumpy.' laugh

Thanks for the confirmation on the pacing. This was one of the main reasons I chose first-person present tense for this particular tale. I'm glad you liked the Trask/Lex confrontation. You're right about Lex, he was too sure of himself in so many ways and that was his ultimate failure.
Oh, the clicking sound Lois heard and identified as guns being cocked was probably the safeties being switched off. Trask's men would have come in locked and loaded with weapons ready to fire.
Darn! I don't know much about guns (obviously), but Lois would, especially since I made her a military brat in this story. I shall go back and edit that part. Thanks for the tip.

I love reading your theories and speculations and (believe it or not) I think I've already addressed the bulk of them in the final part. I hope you like it.

If anyone asks Clark where he got shot, he'll just say, "In Lex Luthor's office."
Ta dum dum, crash! Seriously, though, this made me chuckle.

Hi Iolan Thanks for your comments about Henderson. It was my intention to indicate (through his absence in part 15 and in his arrival in part 17) that he was just coming to arrest Lex after obtaining the proper warrants, just like he did at the end of HoL. Thank you for sharing what you liked and what worked for you in the last part.

Robinson Thank you for posting your comments. I'm glad you're enjoying the story. Stay tuned for the final installment.

BJ

A
Columnist
Columnist
A
That was definitely cheesecake-worthy! (Seriously, if you ever find yourself in my neck of the woods, let me know...)

I am truly in awe of anyone who can write action. And you wrote it so well. I didn't have any trouble following what was going on. It did amuse me a little how Lois and Clark kept trying to escape but kept getting noticed.

It seemed a little unwise at the time, but it was actually fortuitous that Lois revealed to Lex exactly how much of his empire had been uncovered and that she was the one who did it. Because then he got shot. I am relieved that Lex is dead, but I am equally relieved that Trask is dead.

I'm looking forward to the ending!
Amber

S
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
S
This story invites all sorts of adjectives (you know, gripping, riveting, captivating, all that stuff...) It has been one of the few stories where, with every chapter, I could hardly wait for the next post.

The only thing I wish had been added to this chapter would be for Lois to tell Lex, in Trask's presence, that she had witnessed him shooting Lieutenant Carter.

Wonderful story. You know, you could post the final chapter this afternoon, if you wanted to...

--Snave

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
The only thing I wish had been added to this chapter would be for Lois to tell Lex, in Trask's presence, that she had witnessed him shooting Lieutenant Carter.
Ooh, splendid idea! Although then one wonders just how Trask sees his soldiers -- as people, or as tools? Considering he shot the guy that surrendered... still, Lt. Carter would be an expensive tool to replace. So it could go any of several ways. Or, if we only imagine it, it can go every which way. smile

PJ
(who had a twinge while writing that due to having watched way too much Stargate -- though Sam was never shown at any rank lower than Captain, iirc.)

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Nicely done. Extermination with extreme prejudice, best way to deal with Lex and Trask.

James, who is looking forward to reading of the amended Will that Lex had in place for situations like this... evil

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
My favorite ending for Lex and Trask!

Now, on to the fun stuff. This evening, if possible.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Hi Amber! Thank you for your comments about the last part. I'm glad that the action sequence was both clear and amusing.
It seemed a little unwise at the time, but it was actually fortuitous that Lois revealed to Lex exactly how much of his empire had been uncovered and that she was the one who did it. Because then he got shot.
Yeah, funny how that worked out... laugh

Snave Thanks for popping in to use all those scrumptuous adjectives. It warms my heart that you didn't use any of the negative ones. wink I'm glad you enjoyed the story.

Pam You're back! Trask was pretty far gone by the time he got to Lex's office, so I figure Lt. Carter is best left unsung, given his actions. Interesting character insight, though. /me makes note to self about watching more Stargate...

James I'm glad that that bloodlust of mine is shared by one and all. As for an amended will... didn't it say something about leaving his fortune to his clone? Oh, wait...

Hi Nan! I'm glad you liked it. The final part is coming right up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard