Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#61204 02/27/09 06:51 AM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
And Luthor is so convinced he'll never be found out that he keeps incriminating evidence around.

Of course he is a sociopath and thinks he smarter than everyone else.

It was interesting that Lois was able to deal with all the other crimes without a super-powered partner.

BTW, I am waiting for the next part with baited breath.

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Very nice. Hope they find Jack before this is all over smile .

How cynical of Lois - that Lex was going to cheat on her frown . I've been writing nice Sams too long, I think, because it almost caught me off guard when she said he'd been like that.

More soon please smile .
Carol

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Lex is so much fun clap laugh

Great part, BJ!

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
I'm wondering where the two of them can go with their evidence, since it was obtained so questionably and since Lex has his hands in so many government agencies.

Elisabeth
who is happy, nonetheless, that they do know the truth

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Great story and I'm glad you are posting so frequently!
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
He's looking at me again. I can feel it. I haven't checked, but I imagine those beautiful, gentle eyes staring at me full of disappointment and it kills me just a little more; I can't bear to see it.
Wow. You make Clark's gaze feel as if it is a physical thing, touching Lois like a soft hand. As readers, we know that it is touching her like a soft hand. But Lois can only feel reproach and disillusionment. Clark is not going to respect her any more.

I've been ignoring his attempts to "talk about it' for at least ten minutes now, but the pitiful sounds coming from him are only getting more annoying. After he heaves another pathetic sigh, I slap my papers down on the table and turn to him, crossing my arms.

“What?” I bark. My sudden outburst startles him and I feel just a teeny, tiny bit bad about snapping at him.
Lois is going to pieces, so she enwraps herself in a hard shell of anger, like a shellfish, to stop her soft innards from spilling all over the place. But Clark's sighs keep penetrating her cover and to protect herself she explodes.

“Are you…okay,” he asks tentatively.

“I'm fine.”

“Lois, your heart rate is one hundred fifty beats per minute sitting down. That's not fine.”

It's not; I know it's not, but it doesn't matter. I feel humiliated and refuse to discuss this with him. I look away from him and start shuffling the papers again, trying to avoid his sympathy. “I don't want to talk about it.”

I hear him get up and successfully ignore him until I feel his hands rest on my shoulders. “Then don't,” he says. “Just relax.”
I love it. He just worries about her and wants to comfort her. Like we knew he would. And he does comfort her, too, and she feels safe and protected, so she finally spills what has been bothering her.

I cling to the idea that Clark knows my darkest secrets and even after finding out what a fool I am, he's still here. He knows it, yet he hasn't run away from me. It's this fact that finally draws the confession from my lips.

“I knew,” I softly admit. “Even before I married him, I knew he would cheat on me.”
How despicable she feels when she tells him this. But it is good to finally confide in someone, so she keeps talking.

“The first time I suspected he slept with another woman after our marriage, I was devastated. Then I went ballistic and Lex got his first real dose of Lane fury. I think it shocked him a little. My tantrum made me feel better, but I didn't really change anything. Right from the beginning, Lex told me that the pursuit of pleasure drives him and I had no delusions that our marriage would make him a monogamous man. I learned from my father that men aren't honest when it comes to sex and they never stay faithful.”
Oh, how sad. But let me tell you, Brenda, this is the first thing Lois has said that makes her marriage make sense to me. So many women marry men who resemble their fathers. So many daughters of destructive fathers marry destructive men themselves. Lois is the daughter of a philanderer, so she married a philanderer. Of course, Lex has a lot more than just philandering to answer for!

“I gave up the idea that love existed a long time ago,” I explain, “so I settled for security.”
But this is weird. How could Lois believe that Lex would give her security? Did her father give her mother security? Sam cheated on Ellen, grew increasingly tired of her, divorced her, and made her sink ever deeper into alcoholism. Is that security?

“But when it comes to romantic relationships … well, let's just say that I put up with Lex's behavior because my experiences have made me a cynic.”
Maybe this comes closer to the truth. Lois married Lex not because she expected him to bring her security, but because marriage is the required thing to do. Lois wanted to live up to some sort of expectations - perhaps her perceived expectations of society and of everyone around her - so she did the required thing, she got married. But because she was a cynic, she knew that Lex would not give her love or fidelity. And she probably knew that he wouldn't give her security, either. Still, she also knew that Lex was a 'catch', since he was the third richest man in the world, and practically every woman in the world would envy her for landing herself such a prize. That was a sufficiently good reason for her to marry him, probably.

Speaking of expectations, however: Lois certainly 'knew' that a woman is expected to keep her husband faithful to her. If he cheats on her it is her fault, because she hasn't been good enough as a wife. And if she stays with him even though he cheats on her, then she is a woman of no self-respect, and she only deserves contempt. That's why Lois expects Clark to despise her.

Lois so needed to be hugged right here! And I loved Clark for hugging her and setting her straight about his opinion of her:

His gentle tone cracks my detached façade and tears I didn't expect slip down my cheeks. “I can't … your opinion matters so much to me, Clark. It's killing me to know that you see me as less now.”

He wraps his arms around my shoulders and pulls me into a gentle embrace against his chest. “You're my friend and I care about you,” he whispers intently into my hair. “None of this changes my opinion of you; you're strong, brilliant, beautiful … pig-headed.”

I snort with laughter and he hugs me tighter. “Nothing Luthor does will ever make me see anything but the most amazing woman I've ever met.”
clap

Looking forward to the next part!

Ann

S
SJH Offline
Features Writer
Features Writer
S
Yo, Lex, honey, I dont want to say anything, but...a President we know had a habit of keeping iffy things in his closet too and we know what happened to him...

"I'm red-eyed, tired and drunk" Teri Hatcher
"Fun will now commence" 7of9
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Aww, she's sleeping with him! goofy In a non-adulterous way, but they're working on getting rid of the adultery angle.

Speaking of which, poor Lois. Ann, I think you hit the nail on the head -- she believed (somewhere down deep) that if her husband cheats, it's her fault. Consciously, she knows better. But emotionally, she feels like she's a failure.

It's kind of like parenting; ever since Freud, we've started to believe that if a child does something awful it must be the parent's (read: mother's) fault. There for a while, autism (!) was blamed on "refrigerator mothers" who failed to give their child enough love for bonding. So if my kid disobeys or misbehaves, *I* feel guilty. Something really screwed up about that.

Anyway, A-plot is moving along nicely; I hope they'll come up with something admissable from this. Could they give this to cops who could get a warrant and discover the original? I'm sure they'll think of something; this Lois is incredibly competent, and Clark's no slouch himself.

Looking forward to part 13... smile

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Top Banana
Top Banana
There are all these things I feel like saying but Ann already got all of my points and more.

I will echo a few issues that I feel most strongly about.

The idea that she really did have an understanding about how Lex would act even before going into her marriage was particularly insightful. But her own preconceptions about what a marriage would be like were so distorted that his behavior seemed normal. This is a sad but telling statement:
I learned from my father that men aren’t honest when it comes to sex and they never stay faithful.
If ever there was anyone that deserves a life-partner as nice as Clark, it is this Lois.

And I loved the fact that Lois was able to negotiate the various S1 obstacles without Clark being there. That is NO surprise!

Bob

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Great story! Keep it coming!
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I'm sorry I don't have enough time to reply to your feedback individually, but thank you so much for letting me know how you felt about the last chapter. I had originally included Lois' reasons for marrying Lex in part 1 (along with her introspection about her wedding), but felt it fit so much better here in dialogue with Clark. Sorry if that made her marriage hard to swallow for so long.

Just one thing that Ann said in her wonderful feedback:
How could Lois believe that Lex would give her security?
I meant financial security, not emotional. I guess it would be better to have Lois actually say that... so I'll make the updates. Thanks for the question.

Next part shall be up in a few minutes.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard