Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
E
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
E
I like how descriptive you are. Clark doesn't merely look upset, he looks as if he stepped in something smelly. He isn't merely attractive, but disreputable looks good on him.

Elisabeth

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I have very little time, but I just read this part and I very much admire it. Like Elisabeth said, you are so descriptive the whole time. Again and again, I find myself seeing and feeling what you describe with such vividness. The flight was amazing, for example. You made the landscape below look fantastic, but I could also sense the the incredible feeling that Lois experienced from flying in Clark's arms and being held close to him. I loved how you showed us Clark's joy at being able to give the gift of himself and his powers of flight to Lois, seeing how openly and frankly she adored it.

I also loved how Lois taught Clark how to break and enter... well, not quite, but I loved how she made him bring her along. And I was moved at how scared she was at the thought of meeting his parents, and how she longed for it all the same.

Ann

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Terrific. Loved the flirting and inside jokes; it's fun being in on a secret! And thanks for letting Clark keep his ship. Wonder what Trask will think when he finds out it's missing?

Thanks for keeping Luthor to a minimum wink Heh, I like the idea of setting him onto B39... might cause all kinds of useful chaos.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Lois is already mentally divorced from Lex, isn't she? And she's already picked out his replacement. I know, that sounds rather clinical, and I don't mean for it to be, but despite her lack of passion for Lex, she did care for him on some level. And his betrayal of her is still fresh in her mind and heart. If she hooks up with Clark right after the story breaks and Lex goes to prison, she'll wake up one day and wonder if she's traded one keeper for another. She won't have had the time to heal from Lex before giving that damaged heart to Clark.

And he can't fix it for her. Superman has no power which will repair a broken heart. I want to see these two get together just as much as anyone else does, but the human realities have to be dealt with. Right now she's infatuated with Clark, partly because of his powers, partly because they're sharing the thrill of the chase and of bringing down a bad guy, and partly because Clark is so very not-Lex.

I don't think she'll reconsider and print his secret after they put Lex and his posse in jail. But she'll need to step back from Clark and find out if her feelings represent surface attraction or something much deeper. And that will take time. She'll need to spend some of that time away from Clark, and probably not in Smallville. In fact, if Lex connects Clark to Lois, Jonathan and Martha might be in danger. Just how honest is Clark's editor, anyway?

Good story, excellent pace, topnotch dialogue (did you watch Gilmore Girls?), and a very good job of presenting it all in first person/real time. I doubt that I could do something like this half as well as you're doing it.

And the next post is when? That's too long!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Top Banana
Top Banana
That was a really nice description of the trip cross-country. Usually it’s just “we flew there” and done. This was a nice descriptive sequence.

Between the flight, the investigation and the arrival scene at the hotel, it feels like Lois has really fallen hard and fast for Clark. I love the interplay and the glimpses into what she’s feeling during this sequence.

I have to say that I got a kick out of this line.
Disreputable is a *very* good look on him.
And the rest of the scene in the hotel room when Clark gets back from Kansas is delightful. Having Lois learn the secret has really broken down barriers on both sides.

Bob

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Goody! Another part!

I agree with those who pointed out how descriptive the flight was. Have you seen America from above?

His squeaky-clean background and adherence to the rules leaves him particularly vulnerable to getting caught doing something illegal, whereas breaking and entering is my specialty.

I square up in front of him and poke him in the chest with my finger. “That’s right; Bureau 39 has a meteorite that can hurt you so I’m going, too. Besides, we’ve already established that you’re a chronic rule-keeper. I have a lot more experience with covert snooping than you do.”
I cracked up when I read this. It's so true! Clark, as you get to know Lois, you'll realize that you shouldn't even bother to try to keep her out of the story.

“Superman has an image to uphold, but two nosy reporters are a little easier to explain.” I pull two sets of gloves and balaclavas from my pack and hand one to Clark. I giggle at his horrified look. “Of course, not having to explain is even better.”
Great! Lois is thinking, here. Much more sensible than in canon where they just waltzed in with no disguises and with no attention paid to the security setup.

“Clark, I’m not leaving without the computer files. Besides, how long do you think Trask will leave your ship here once they know we’re on to them? This might be your only chance.”
This is good. I always hated, how, in the show, Clark lost his spaceship from lack of opportunity to take it away. Lois knows the secret, and she knows how Trask would think, so it's great that she insists that Clark get the ship first. Plus, of course, she needs the files!

Huh, we’re dressed in black and have balaclavas over our faces and no one blinks an eye. I love this neighborhood.
LOL!

He drops to his knees at the bedside and wraps his hands around mine, still holding the water glass. His eyes are full of anxiety. “I’m so sorry, Lois. I didn’t mean to hurt you.”
Clark's worst fear - hurting someone with his powers. And it's got to be worse that it's Lois. Fortunately, a false alarm.

He smiles like I’ve just given him the best Christmas gift of all time and I can’t resist smiling at his enthusiasm. Before vanishing through the door, he leans over to kiss me on the cheek and I can’t help but feel like he’s given me the perfect gift right back.
Oh, that's so romantic!

“Come on, Jimmy. I tell you all the time that you do good work. Well, some of the time. At least twice, all right?”
And this is so Lois.

No one steals from me and gets away with it. I want those responsible found and dealt with severely. Now, I have a press conference to attend. Do I look appropriately troubled?”

“Practically distraught, sir.”
And this is so Lex.

Excellent flirting, too! This chapter has got it all - action, villains, romance, tender moments, flirtatious banter, and a semi-cliffhanger ending! Please post more soon. I can't wait.

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
clap clap clap

Framework4
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Great part! Keep it coming.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Really fabulous part. You've got Lois nailed to a T when it comes to her thoughts on everything from the flight to breaking and enter to flirting with Clark. And I'm glad Clark got to hear some of the Lex surveillance...it's one thing to hear that this guy might be behind it all, and another to hear a lot of the false utterances on tape.

Great part,
JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Great fun to read. They're so cute together with their banter and flirting clap

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Elisabeth Thanks for starting the fdk thread and for the compliments. I'm a very visual person - I almost *need* to see a scene before I can write it. I'm glad it's coming through.

Ann Thanks for coming back wink The give and take between Lois and Clark has been fun to explore. Thanks for the feedback.

Pam I'm glad you liked the flirting. There are so many good ideas from the show that have been fun to stea... erm, I mean emulate. laugh
I like the idea of setting him onto B39... might cause all kinds of useful chaos.
Hmm...a very good idea. Thanks for the feedback.

Terry I don't know if Lois has consciously picked out Lex's replacement, but I agree that she's already mentally and emotionally divorced from him (hopefully, that'll come through a little more clearly in the next part). Yes, Lois did care for Lex as evidenced by her thoughts in part 1 before she discovered his darker side, but I think the anger at his deception is worse for her than losing a 'loved one'.

he can't fix it for her. Superman has no power which will repair a broken heart.
Thanks for this observation. I agree that he can't heal her, but he can do a lot as a friend, to show her that she's better than Lex's treatment of her. It's a great point to keep in mind, though, and I'll be sure to revisit this later.

Right now she's infatuated with Clark, partly because of his powers, partly because they're sharing the thrill of the chase and of bringing down a bad guy, and partly because Clark is so very not-Lex.
Hmm... It's unfortunate that that is your take on Lois' attraction to Clark. One thing I tried to explore while I was writing the story is what exactly made Lois and Clark's friendship so strong. We know by mid-S1 that Lois thinks of Clark as her best friend, so I tried to show the same essential relationship developing (in an admittedly compressed timeframe). Maybe that hasn't come across very well and I need to do some revisions. Thanks for your thought-provoking comments.

Bob Thanks for letting me know how much you enjoyed the last part. Writing the flirts and jokes is fun, so I'm immensely pleased that you got a kick out of it, too.

IolantheAlias I haven't seen America from above (or the Gilmore Girls, Terry), so this was just me imagining what it might look like. I lived for most of my life either in Northern CA or at the base of the Rockies, so I'm familiar with that territory. Thanks for the quotes and callouts to the parts you liked - it's good to know the characterizations haven't strayed away from the target.

Framework Thanks for the applause.

Artemis Glad you liked it. Next part shall be up soon.

Jen Thanks for the feedback. It does make a difference when you can experience something first hand, doesn't it? One of my beta's kept insisting on more of Lex's response to the kidnapping, so you can thank MLT for Clark's reaction to Lex.

Michael Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad you liked it.

BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Doh! I don't know what happened. Sorry for the double post.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard