Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
anagram Offline OP
Freelance Reporter
OP Offline
Freelance Reporter
He is, undoubtedly, the most handsome man I’ve ever seen. Well, maybe after Mel Gibson … and Clark. Clark has better hair.
GOLD!

I wonder how many more niggles or senses of deja vu Lois will have before the whole 'Clark is Superman' thing clicks...?
Perhaps the closet will spill a few secrets... the anticipation is killing me!

Great installment, keep them coming thumbsup

All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
I did read this earlier when I was coherent - in between preschool, 3 kids doc appts [that ended in 2 more diagnoses of strep throat].

I freely admit to being of unsound mind at the moment and will say that I don't remember much except I expected Sman to show up as soon as she realized her rope was in the other room.

But I do remember enjoying it.

Carol [Believe me - I have the mental acuity of a one year old right now. Maybe... Ask Queenie... Will try to be more coherent next time...]

E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
That part was fantabulous!!!!

I loved the nod to Christopher Reeve's Superman, "I've got you, Miss."

I loved how she determined that Clark's interview wasn't at fault; Superman was just slow on the intake. She also gets past his defenses so easily, using humor as her only weapon. Her ire, her attraction, his responses--it was all there.

Elisabeth

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A great, great part!

Clark notices me staring as he approaches and his expression turns wary. He looks behind him and then surreptitiously checks his tie and then his fly. I smile.
I wonder how much of this is to distract Lois and make her think that Clark just came back from the washroom, and how much of it is real social panic ("did I leave my zipper undone?")

That’s when I realize that leaving my shoelaces untied was a mistake. The plastic tip of the lace under my left foot rolls out from under me and I suddenly find myself in a free fall.
A well-written, spine-tingling "Lois in danger" bit!

It had worked, too. I brought in the scoops, usually narrowly escaping with my life intact.

I guess I'm just out of practice because I don't see any way out of this one.
A perfect time for you-know-who! And of course, he's there.

He is, undoubtedly, the most handsome man I’ve ever seen. Well, maybe after Mel Gibson … and Clark. Clark has better hair.
This is freakin' hilarious and oh so true. I hated they way they slicked back Superman's hair on the TV show, but of course it was necessary.

“Shh,” he says.

Shh? No one shushes me. I open my mouth to tell him so when I remember he’s just saved me from certain doom.
You've got so many good lines in here I just can't stop laughing. That's Lois down to a T.

“Sir,” a third voice comes from inside the room. “Her wallet, mobile and press pass are on the table.”
Is this good or bad? Did Lois mean to leave those behind? I guess that way Lex can't track her via cell phone, credit cards, etc. I'm assuming from the previous mention of cash and fake ID's that Lois did mean to leave this stuff behind. Good for her, prepared to run at a moment's notice.

I roll my eyes at Trask’s fallacious conclusion and catch Superman doing the same from the corner of my eye.
I can just see them both doing the eye-roll....Better watch out, Clark - eye-rolls don't go with the Superman persona!

It’s definitely not the first impression I want to give the superhero – half naked and sleep creased with bed head.
I hope, after the revelation, that they talk about this later on. I'd be interested to hear what Clark thinks about Lois when she has bed head. Is she still beautiful in his eyes?

His eyes narrow slightly at my question and he releases my hand to cross his arms again. “Is this an interview?”

“Well, I am a journalist. It’s what I do.”

“Do you always interview your rescuers, Ms. Lane?”

“Only the super powered ones that fly.”
Oh, man, this is great too! It's so Lois. Dressed in sleep shirt, with bed head, just rescued from certain death - and she dives right into an interview. Good good good.

Your first public rescue was a few weeks ago, but Trask thinks you’ve been here a lot longer than that. Is it true that you’ve been here for almost thirty years?”

His stunned look and vocal paralysis at my barrage of questions is interrupted when a loud thump snaps both our heads up toward the ceiling.
Good thing for Clark that Trask distracted Lois from this question. Otherwise she'd be all over it like white on rice, and Clark wouldn't be keeping his secret for long.

My new understanding makes me realize how much I want Superman to trust me. True, any personal information about the man of steel would be a big story, almost the biggest story out there. However, I’m a big story, too, and I don’t particularly want every detail about me given to the general public. I realize that a good man doing his best to help deserves what privacy he can retain.
I like this. What a difference it makes when Lois is married and is "Mrs Luthor". She's a paparazzi target herself and automatically has more sympathy with Superman than she would have as a plain reporter. I'm glad that she will give S-man the benefit of the doubt.

Will she tell him this, though? What does Superman think about her? Does he have the trust for her, underneath?

Of course, this might be the reason Clark didn’t get much from him; it appears Superman isn’t too quick on the uptake.
Laughing out loud! Hilarious! Oh, Lois, if you only knew - he's OK on the uptake, he's just stunned at Tornado Lois.

Before he can finish the sentence, he cocks his head to the side, an intent look on his face. It gives me a strange sense of déjà vu, making my instincts tingle again...
Oh, Lois! It won't be too long before you figure it out! You just need some uninterrupted thinking time.

“Just keep them out of your closet,” I say, sliding the door shut.
Why do I suspect that Lois is going to find the Suits?

Again, another great part. As Elisabeth said in the post above, "Her ire, her attraction, his responses - all there." Thoroughly enjoyable. Please, please post more soon - I can't wait!

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Delightful. Truly fun.

So we know in the CanonVerse Clark got his Superman costume idea from Lois, how did he come up with it here?

And is this an AltVerse Clark where his parents are dead since age 10 or 12 or so?

Framework4
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Who's the master of disguise here? Is it Lois, whom the public knows as Mrs. Luthor but who in reality is a mad dog journalist, or is it Clark, who in reality is the slow-on-the-uptake Superman? Or is it both of them?

Having Lois perceive Superman as being dense both physically and mentally is brilliant. It gives her a legit reason not to connect the sharp journalist with the slightly dull superhero. And Lois thinking that Clark has better hair than Superman is also brilliant. Not only does it put another degree of separation between the two men in her mind, it means that she's not going to be overwhelmed by the spandex and muscles.

I was a little surprised that Superman - who knew that Trask had a chunk of green K with him - would plan to storm in on the bad guys without doing any visual search first. Of course, it reinforces Lois' impression that he's not the sharpest pencil in the drawer, so maybe that's a good thing (from Clark's point of view). Of course, when Lois does find out the truth, she's going to be quite put out.

Speaking of Lois, you've left her in Clark's closet. Is his apartment in Frisco like the one he had in Metropolis in the show, with his suits in the secret compartment? This situation gives the phrase "coming out of the closet" a whole new meaning.

Still reading and still enjoying the first-person present tense. Even when Lois slipped and thought she was falling to her death, the tension felt real and the narrative rang true. The story is moving along at a good pace, the characterizations are right on target, Lois' internal dialogue is priceless, and I am more than ready for the next installment! Bring it on!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Woot! It's so much fun to take a break at work and find all these lovely comments. Thanks for all the feedback, FoLCs. It made my day.
GOLD!
Thanks so much for loving that bit, Anagram. I did too. As for how long it will take Lois' niggles and deja vu to add up to S-Man...you'll just have to wait and see.

Carol - thanks for commenting (despite sick kids - hope they're doing ok now) and I'm glad you enjoyed it.
I expected Sman to show up as soon as she realized her rope was in the other room
Eh, so I'm predictable. What can I say?

Elisabeth,
I loved the nod to Christopher Reeve's Superman
I love Dean Cain's Clark Kent, but Chris Reeve will always be my first Superman. Glad to see Lois' thought processes about S-man are humorous. Thanks for the kind words and the affirmations.

IolantheAlias - thank you for the detailed feedback. Knowing what the readers like helps more than you know to shape and fill-out the upcoming parts. Besides, you always make me laugh - "stunned at Tornado Lois", indeed. laugh
A well-written, spine-tingling "Lois in danger" bit!
Sometimes I wonder if the visual images in my head are coming out properly in words, so I appreciate you saying that this scene worked. Thanks also for laughing in all the right places.
I guess that way Lex can't track her via cell phone, credit cards, etc. I'm assuming from the previous mention of cash and fake ID's that Lois did mean to leave this stuff behind. Good for her, prepared to run at a moment's notice.
Yes, absolutely. Trask played right into her already brilliant plans.
Dressed in sleep shirt, with bed head, just rescued from certain death - and she dives right into an interview. Good good good.
laugh
I like this. What a difference it makes when Lois is married and is "Mrs Luthor". She's a paparazzi target herself and automatically has more sympathy with Superman than she would have as a plain reporter. I'm glad that she will give S-man the benefit of the doubt.
Yes, sometimes life has a way of teaching us how to be more compassionate and/or humble. Being married to Lex has certainly taught Lois a thing or two about being in the public eye.

Hi Patrick! Thanks for the comments and the questions (no, this is not an Alt-Clark). How did Clark get the idea for S-man, you ask? ... Curious, no? All shall be revealed, but not yet.
evil
Thanks for confirming that the narrative is working, that the characterizations are on and pacing is good and that Lois' internal dialogue isn't resembling Hamlet-style metal paralysis wink .

Given how RL is heating up, I will probably post more often, say 2-3 times per week, so I can get it out to you before I have to take a break from my writing. However, I don't want to overload the gentle readers during Kerth season. What do you think?

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Could be Lois, could be Clark. But don't you think I could be referring to Lex?
Never crossed my mind. Lex is a minor character in your story so far (despite being married to Lois), and his duplicity isn't new to your gentle readers. Besides, your focus is on Lois and her attempt to retake her life, along with her involvement with Clark.

I'm glad you clarified about Clark's lack of caution. Given your example, he's behaving exactly as he should be. I also recall how he blasted into a locked bank vault to free Lois and several other hostages without the viewers knowing whether or not he checked to see if the wall fragments (some of which were pretty big) would hit anyone - or even if anyone was leaning against the wall he burst through. He's right in character, jumping in without checking the water level and "knowing" his powers will protect him.

Hey, post as often as you like! I promise you it will be read. And if this tale continues in this excellent vein, I foresee a Kerth nom or five next year. Keep 'em coming!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Great fun, Brenda! Liked how Lois contemplated how she could get out of her mess only to have Clark show up laugh

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
This story is unbelievable! Not enough reliable internet to say much, but I just caught myself up tonight and can't wait for the next part.

Heck of a story,
JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Top Banana
Top Banana
Aargh. I'm late in feedback.

The story is wonderful.

I have to admit that when I read this part:
“Don’t worry, Miss. I’ve got you.”
I hear Christopher Reeve's voice.

so why do Superman and Clark have this affect on me?
Yes. Why is that? smile1

Bob

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
ACK! I havn't read this part yet!

Will post a FDK later.

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Thanks for the response, Terry. Although this is techncially an AU story (since Clark never arrived in Metropolis as in the Pilot), I have been writing under the assumption that he's basically the same person we saw during Season 1. He's also relatively new to Superman, since he only created him a few weeks ago.

Michael - thanks for your fdk. I'm glad you're still enjoying it.

Jen! hyper It's always nice to see more people reading. I'm happy to hear that you like it.

Hi Bob wave FDK is *never* too late. Thanks for commenting and letting me know what you liked about the last part.

James - Thanks for popping in and for reading. Part 9 is coming right up.

Brenda

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I am still reading and loving this, and I suspect I'm giggling in all the right places.

My take is that "master of disguise" refers to Lois since Clark really isn't nearly as good at it as she is smile

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
I love this! I read the first two parts back when they were posted and then somehow lost track of it, but I caught up today.

I love your Lois - good for her for finding herself again. Perry would be proud. Not to mention, she's hilarious!

Your Clark is right on for early S1, I think. The last time I rewatched those episodes I noticed how often Clark was dumbstruck in response to Lois. So "slow on the uptake" Superman is completely believable.

And what a two-headed monster you've created - Trask and Luthor at the same time. It's great!

Can't wait for more!
Amber

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard