/waves/

Slept way in today. Was very nice. Except for the weird LOST dreams... Hurley's paint chips, it turns out, are the key... wink

Anyway - thanks to Alisha, Beth and Nancy. And Queenie who helped break a logjam in my new WIP [skipped several chapters ahead - like half the story - because I wasn't sure what to do...]

And to Natascha who made a couple good suggestions for this part.

Last time:
Lois

"What about your Lana?" she asked suddenly. "Is she happy?"

"She is," Clark said quietly. "She's engaged to a great guy. They're getting married this summer."

"So if you end up stuck here indefinitely and I never get my Clark back, there's hope that I won't end up alone?" she asked, her arms wrapped around herself.

I nodded. "It was really hard for her for a long time, but she was actually in our wedding last week. She did a lot for us around graduation and I wouldn’t call us *friends* but we're way beyond where we used to be."

She nodded and we left a few minutes later.

We drove back toward the house in near silence. Telling Joe had been easier. I didn't know why that was, but I thought he'd accepted it several days before. And he knew that the him in our world was very happy with someone else, so he had some small hope that someday things would be better again, even if his Lois never made it back here. Maybe knowing that would help Lana, too.

"Now what?" I asked Clark quietly as we neared the house.

"We find you a doctor, I guess. Start settling into our lives here. You have three weeks off if you want them, but I don't. I have to go to work tomorrow."

"I'll call Perry, I guess. If I'm not getting married, I don't need the time off, right?" I sighed. This was going to be hard. I wasn't sure I was up for it.

Maybe three weeks off wouldn't be such a bad idea after all.

*~*34*~*
April 2007
~~~~~
Clark
~~~~~

I held the papers in my hands. I'd known they were probably coming sometime late this week or early next, but I didn't know when.

I felt sad for my counterpart, should he ever make it back. My – his – whoever's divorce from Lana was final.

I could marry Lois again.

There was a big grin on my face, even as I was sad for him.

Things had been a bit awkward for Lois when she called off the wedding and only took a few days off; she even worked all day on what was supposed to be her wedding day. Perry had tried to convince her not to, but she'd done it anyway.

When people started to realize that I'd filed for divorce at about the same time and that we were spending a lot more time together... Then the looks and whispers had started, but we were determined not to let any of it get to us. No one at work knew the whole story – except Lucy and Jimmy and they weren't telling anyone either.

We'd been very careful to play down our relationship at work, though it was probably pretty obvious to anyone with even a little bit of observational skills that something was going on. Perry knew that we were going to get married as soon as we could and probably suspected that Lois was pregnant, but that was it. We weren't going to tell him officially until after we were married again.

Whatever life had been like at work the last few months, I couldn't keep the grin off my face as I sat there reading the paperwork.

"What's that look for?" Lois asked, sitting back down at her desk. She looked pale and drawn. The baby was taking a toll on her; that was for sure, though it wasn't nearly as bad as with the boys. I knew she was secretly hoping for a girl this time.

I held up the papers. "It's final."

Tears filled her eyes. "It is?" she whispered.

I nodded. "Wanna go to Vegas with me later?"

She shook her head.

What? My heart froze for a second. I was sure I looked like a deer in the headlights.

"I don’t want to go later. I want to go now."

I glanced around. "We can't go now."

"Why not?" she pouted.

"Because we have to finish the Superhero Foundation story and you have finish that police academy graduation story."

She sighed. "Fine, but let's hurry and get out of here."

I nodded. "No problem there. I'll finish the Foundation story while you get the other one done."

It was nearly two hours later before we could leave. Superman had been called on to help with a hostage situation. Van-El had been busy with a train accident up near Bremerton, so Superman had to go.

I'd debuted as Superman about two weeks after Lana filed the divorce papers. I'd told her I was going to do it and she wasn't happy, but had agreed it wasn't her place to... forbid me or whatever. We'd also agreed that in Superman's debut he'd say that he didn't know how long he'd be able to stay on Earth – that he might be needed elsewhere or something. That way when her Clark came back, he wouldn't have to be Superman and everyone would assume that he'd gone to help on Blargon Seven or something.

"Are you ready for this?" I asked Lois as we stood on the roof of the Daily Planet.

She turned in my arms. "I've been ready for this since we got here. Well, since we realized we were going to have to stay here."

I kissed her softly. "Me, too. I've missed you."

"I've missed you, too."

We'd lived in the same house, worked together and spent lots of time together – officially dating, something we'd never done before. Long ago, before Christopher was born, Mom had told me to cherish the time we had together before he was born because it would be a long time before it was just the two of us again. At the time, I hadn't taken her words to heart but I did now. We dated, we kissed, but that was it.

Until now.

Now I was going to get to marry her all over again.

"Are you feeling okay?" I asked as I took off with my arms wrapped around her.

"Well enough to rip that Suit off when we get where we're going," she murmured into the wind.

I smiled. "That works for me."

I set us down in a deserted alleyway in Las Vegas and spun back into the suit I'd worn to work. We found our way to a small wedding chapel, filled out the paperwork, said the vows that we'd made years earlier, slid the new rings on each other's fingers. We'd given the others back to Lana and Joe – in case their Lois and Clark ever made it back home.

"Where to now?" I asked, kissing her again and again as we stood in front of the chapel.

"The cabin," she whispered between kisses. "As fast as you can go without vaporizing me."

I swallowed hard and found a nearby alley in which to change back and a minute later we were on our way to the cabin.

It wasn't long before we stumbled in the door, my lips on her neck and my hands under her sweater looking for the clasp to her bra; her hands under the cape trying to pull the zipper down.

"It's in the front," she gasped, finding the zipper.

"Ahem."

We both froze.

"Who's that?" Lois asked in a whisper, her face now resting against my shoulder.

I glanced up before responding. "Pretty much everyone. Your parents," I whispered back. "And Lucy and Jimmy and Dave and Gina and Bernie and Ashley." Bernie and Ashley had gotten back together not long after we arrived – I still wasn't sure what the whole story there was; she'd introduced Dave to her cousin and best friend, Angelina – Gina – Giovanni, and they'd hit it off.

"Everyone's here?"

I nodded, grateful that everyone present knew the whole story. "Think we should tell them what I got today?"

"I think we better."

I straightened her sweater and we both tried to regain our composure, but she didn't move her head from my chest.

"I take it the divorce went through," Sam asked, a touch of amusement in his voice.

"So did the wedding," Lois said, without moving or looking at anyone seated in the living room.

It had occurred to us that they'd want to see their oldest daughter get married, so we'd planned a destination wedding for two weeks from Saturday. That was still on, but we'd also told them that if I got the paperwork before then, we'd probably make it official as soon as possible. They'd understood.

Lois took a deep breath and let it out slowly before turning. "Hi, guys."

She'd moved far enough away from me that I was able to spin back into my regular suit.

"We were supposed to be here tonight too, weren't we?" Lois asked, glancing at me and biting her bottom lip. "Easter weekend?"

Ellen nodded. "But we all knew the divorce was supposed to be finalized this week or next and knew we might not see you."

"I forgot all about it," Lois admitted as we moved to sit in the living room. Our favorite chair at home was unoccupied here. I sat down and she sat with me. "If I'd remembered, I wouldn’t have told Clark to come here."

"Obviously," Lucy said with a roll of her eyes. "Why are you guys staying anyway? Shouldn’t you be heading back to the house or a hotel or something?"

~~~~~
Lois
~~~~~

As much as I wanted to get Clark alone, I wasn't sure I wanted to leave a family occasion either. Even though I'd spent a lot of time with Lucy and Dave – and Mom – I still relished the time with them on a whole other level.

And it *was* a holiday weekend.

"It's okay," Clark whispered in my ear. "I want to get alone, too, but I know how you feel about any opportunity to spend time with your family."

"Thank you," I whispered back, snuggling in next to him. "Um, but actually, would you mind flying back to the house and getting my suitcase. I would love to change clothes."

"I'll be back in a few minutes."

He left the room and we heard the 'whoosh' as he took off for Pittsdale.

"Congratulations, sweetie," Mom said from her seat next to Daddy. "How're you feeling?"

I shrugged. "Not too bad. I've been worse, but I think it's starting to get a bit better. I'm just hoping to avoid bed rest this time." I wasn't sure why but the all-day sickness hadn't been quite so bad this time, but I was already nearly seventeen weeks already and it hadn't been debilitating like it had been with the boys.

Christopher and Nate.

I missed them still – more than I could believe – but it was scaring me because I couldn’t remember them like I used to. Their images in my head were already fading. Clark had drawn pictures of them – a lot of pictures – not long after we'd arrived but it wasn't the same. And I knew they weren't like that anymore. They'd have grown. Christopher was almost four and Nate was nearly two – he might even be walking by now. He was *probably* walking by now.

And they'd spent nearly four months – possibly – not knowing what happened to their parents. The thought that they were scared and confused tore at me.

I couldn't stop the tears. This was supposed to be a *happy* day. I'd thought I'd come to terms with losing my sons – because that's what it felt like – weeks earlier.

Mom was at my side before I knew it. "You miss them, don't you, sweetie?" she asked as she gathered me in her arms.

I nodded, unable to answer for the moment. "I want my life back," I finally whispered.

"I know." She held me while I cried and I heard everyone else sort of drift off for the moment.

Daddy sat near me, a hand on my leg, trying to offer what comfort he could. He handed me a tissue as I started to compose myself.

"Thanks," I said. "You know, I told Clark once that I'd trade almost anything to be able to spend some time with you, Mom, and Lucy and Dave, but this is too high a price. I love you. I've loved getting to know all three of you, but I want my sons. Christopher's birthday is going to be here before we know it. Nate's probably walking by now. I wonder if they realized that something was wrong when they first saw the other me or if they thought she was me and I can't decide which would make me feel better. Their lives being turned upside down because they know their mom isn't their mom and that means that they know *me* or if I'd rather they not notice because that would be easier on them." I swiped at my face. "And I know Clark's trying to be strong for me, but I know he's hurting, too. I know he misses them, too."

"I'm sure he does," Mom told me. "And as much as we've enjoyed getting to know you, we miss our Lois, too. We worry about her – suddenly thrust into a position as a mom of two little boys in a world where she's married to one of her best friends with everything that's happened to you two, without me and Lucy and Dave – who are also some of her best friends."

I sniffled and wiped my nose with the Kleenex. "I haven't really thought what this must be like for you guys. I'm sorry. It's got to be hard on you, too and I don't want you to think I've tried to take her place because that wasn't intention. Well, kind of, but..."

Mom squeezed me. "We understand. If something had happened to our Lois and you suddenly showed up here, we would have wanted to get to know you, too."

"Bernie went to play around with the device again," Daddy said. "Maybe he'll figure it out."

I shrugged. "If he hasn't figured it out by now..." I wasn't holding out much hope. "My only real consolation, I guess, is that they're still out there somewhere and that they're okay. They're safe. If nothing else, they've got my dad and Jessica who's been there with them since Christopher was just a couple weeks old. And Martha and Jonathan. And I don't know your Lois but I can't imagine her or your Clark not doing their best to do what needs doing – even if that means trying to be parents to little boys."

"Your boys are in good hands with them," Daddy told me. "Even if they're not you guys, they'll do their best to take care of them."

There was a thump outside the door and Clark walked in with our suitcases. His eyes immediately sought mine. "What's wrong?" he asked, instantly concerned. "The baby..."

I shook my head slightly. "Just missing the boys, that's all."

He breathed a sigh of relief. I knew that didn't mean he didn't care or wasn't concerned, but rather that there was no *immediate* danger to me or the baby.

He zipped into what was now *our* room again and put the bags up then came back to my side. Mom got up to allow him to get in next to me and take me in his arms. The tears started again and this time, I knew mine were mingled with Clark's as I felt them land on my head and my cheeks.

By the time I was done, everyone else was gone – we were alone in the living room. Mom and Dad were in the kitchen which wasn't too far away but...

"I think I need some ibuprofen," I told him. "And then I think I need to lay down for a little bit."

He pressed his lips against my forehead. "Go on. I'll bring some medicine in."

I nodded. "Thanks."

He helped me up and I went to our room, glad he'd left my suitcase on top of the dresser so I didn't have to hoist it. I took out my favorite pair of pajama pants and a T-shirt that I'd taken from the other Clark's things when Lana gave them to my husband. It was bright yellow and had only an ear of corn on it. Clark told me the story behind the one he'd had for a long time – Lana had given it to him when she was Corn Queen and he wasn't Corn King – but I didn't care. It reminded me of home and the Corn Festival. Oddly, I couldn't bring myself to wear his John Deere T-shirt – the one I practically lived in at times at home.

"Hey," Clark said as he walked in, just as I pulled my shirt off. He shut the door behind him. "I told your parents that you were going to take a nap and I was going to make sure you're okay."

"How do you plan on doing that?" I asked with a wan smile.

He held out some medicine and water. "Here."

"Thanks." I took the pills and then found myself in his arms.

"You're a sight for sore eyes," he said softly, running his hands up and down my nearly bare back.

My hands found their way under his shirt and I pushed it up. "So are you," I whispered as he pulled it off over his head.

He kissed me and I knew he was trying to be considerate of me and what I'd been feeling and how I'd been sick, but I was having none of that.

I practically attacked him.

"I've missed you," I told him a little while later as he lay on his side next to me, one hand rubbing over my expanding belly. "I've missed making love to you."

He looked up at me and shifted until he could kiss me again. "Same here. I love you, Lois Lane-Kent-Kent."

I giggled. "I love you." I turned serious. "I want to go home, Clark."

He sighed. "I know, sweetheart. I know. I want to, too, but..."

He stopped and his head tilted to one side.

"What?" I asked him.

"He thinks he's got something."

TBC