Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#60621 02/02/09 11:13 AM
Sue S. Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
OMG! What luck! I was just checking one last time before heading out for the day and it's here!

As others have noted before, I'm distressed about Perry's fate. frown

I love how you handle Clark's reactions to Trask and how Lois dimisses those reactions by finding reasons she'd behave the same way. And her bravado on being caught is classic Lois. thumbsup Especially this:
How does ‘The Army and Little Green Men – Your Tax Dollars at Work’ sound? Or how about ‘Military Paranoia and the Deranged Lunatics that Lead It’?”
party

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Loving this so far, your characterisation of people (both major and minor characters) using a first person narrative is amazing, not to mention you've got Lois spot on. I completely believe that this is what she'd be like given her current circumstances.

Hope she and Clark get Luthor and Trask dealt with quickly so they can get down to more important things laugh

Looking forward to more thumbsup

All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?
Top Banana
Top Banana
BJ, this continues to be just fabulous. Your characterizations are spot-on. razz

Bob

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ooh, a side-trip... well, sub-plot anyway.

So, the tear-jerking end to part 5 was not only emotional and in character, it *also* got Lois out of the living room so she could overhear and tape things and call the cops. Sweet! Speaking as a writer, that was well done.

And I can't help it, I love watching Lois watch Clark and mis-interpret his reactions. smile You're doing a great job of describing them so that we, the readers, know what's going on, but without special knowledge, Lois's assessments are perfectly logical. Like the longing look out the balcony window.

Actually, given his twisted premises, Trask's conclusions are pretty logical, too.

I am curious just how much an effect the kryptonite had on Clark; obviously there was an effect but I'm sure he's doing his best to obscure any lingering weakness.

When Lois was caught & recognized, I sort of expected her to do the "do you know who I'm married to" sort of deal. But on reflection, it's better that she's not relying on Lex here, but on her own abilities.

Glad they're teaming up. Can't wait to see how they work together on this. And of course I wonder if a revelation is in their future; my best guess is that yes, she'll know about Superman before the end of the story, but not just yet.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
You're doing a great job, BJ. This is actually a believable setup, given that Clark didn't make it to Metropolis to work with Lois. And I agree that your Clark and your Lois are acting in character. I like seeing an aggressive Lois and a not-quite compliant Clark. And I also wonder if the green K will have a lingering effect on him.

Technical note: First-person is hard enough to do. This is first-person present tense! What are you trying to do, give us all inferiority complexes? Other than second-person - which is almost impossible to sustain in a story of any real length - first-person present tense is probably the most difficult way to tell a story we have in English, and you are doing a whiz-bang job of it. You're giving us background info as we need it without forcing it in, you're keeping the action flowing without getting lost in it, you're showing us Lois' thinking without getting her locked up in Hamlet-style mental paralysis, and you're keeping our attention on the story instead of your excellent technique. Bravo! Keep up the great work!

And the next part will be posted when?

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Excellent story. Keep it coming!!
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Wow, that was extremely intense but why wasn't Clark more affected by the green-K? And now that Lois has phoned Lex, what's she going to do to vanish? After all, the random kidnapping of a billionaires trophy wife seems a bit coincidental now. Although it would be fun if Lex were to go after Trask, thinking he kidnapped Lois and left the note as a red herring. Last but not least, if Lois has her cell-phone turned on, wouldn't Lex be able to sort of pin-point her location. She IS using Lex-mobile as a cell-provider, isn't she?

Michael smile1

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
This is excellent. I can't believe I waited so long to read all of this, but somehow I missed part one, caught part two but couldn't make sense of it, and didn't read anything after that. Now that I've read in order, this is fantabulous.

Elisabeth

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Fair warning, I've started reading this on Elisabeth's recommendation.

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
James, it's a wise man who listens to his wife. wink And you're gonna love this.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Another excellent part! Wow, things are really starting to happen.

“I’m not here to answer your questions, Mr. Kent. I’m here for answers. Now, where can I find the alien?”

There is a tense moment of silence before Clark pulls his wide eyes away from the box to rest on Trask’s malevolent face. From across the room, I can see him swallow roughly and when he speaks, his voice is hesitant and tense.

“S..superman has never said where he lives. H…how could I tell you?”

“I don’t think he has to tell you. I think you already know. Have you been harboring the dangerous alien all these years, helping to deceive us and lull us in to a false sense of security before the attack?”

“There is nothing dangerous about Superman. He’s only trying to help!”

“Where can I find the alien?”

Clark says nothing, but reiterates his earlier answer with a simple shrug of the shoulders. Trask’s eyes narrow before he tries another tactic.

“Where did the alien come from?”

“I don’t know.” Clark mumbles.

“How did it get its powers?”

“I don’t know.”

“Are there others like him?”

“I don’t know!”

“Tell me the timeframe for the invasion.”

“There is no invasion! As far as I know Superman is alone. He only wants to use his powers to save lives and make the world a better place.” Clark yells, his face flushing with frustration at each provocative question.
I love this part. As far as Trask, the soldiers, and Lois know, Clark is talking about Superman, a separate person. And yet we know Clark is talking about himself and telling the absolute truth.

“Mrs. Luthor. I wonder…what brings you from Metropolis?”

“I’m a big Giants fan.”
Snappy comeback! I love Lois.

“Are you crazy?” I ask. “You have a radioactive rock that can theoretically hurt a super-powered, invulnerable alien and we’re not supposed to be afraid of it? If that can hurt Superman, just think what kind of damage it can do to a mere human.”
Ah, Lois! You just saved Clark! Another issue: since this fic is from Lois's POV, we don't know if Clark has come across kryptonite before. Did the same thing happen, with the tree falling down? Or is this the first time Clark has encountered green K, a nasty surprise to him? I hope that you can tell us later on in the fic.

Also, are his powers on the fritz right now? Or, thanks to Lois, was the exposure short enough that his loss of power was minuscule?

I see Clark eye the metal case and he foolishly moves toward the box when Trask cocks his gun, training it on Clark’s forehead....Trask sprints out the open door and disappears down the back stairs at the same time I hear footsteps pounding up the front.
I'm assuming that Trask takes the box with him. But, when you upload this fic to the archive, could you please make that clear? Even though it makes sense for Trask to take the box, I'm left with a little niggling question about, "Well, maybe he forgot it in the rush." And yes, I know that's lame.

I shake my head at his foolhardy behavior. Even I’m not crazy enough to follow an armed military man without a plan of attack. I almost snort at the thought. Actually, that sounds exactly like something I’d do.
I love Lois. Again.

I look up into Clark’s face and his expression halts my frantic motions. The way he holds himself speaks volumes; he’s radiating tension and indecision, like he wants to be somewhere else, but doesn’t want to leave me alone either. Instinctively, I know that if not for me, he’d be gone already, probably knee deep in research.
Uh, Lois....maybe knee-deep in research....but maybe, just maybe, flying around out there? Maybe trying to get that box of kryptonite into "protective custody" (which sounds so much better than stealing it from Trask, because we know that Superman doesn't steal.)

“This is more your story than mine,” I admit. “I’ve been itching to find out what these guys are up to for days, since I first saw them tailing you. I want to expose Trask, but I don’t want to walk over you to do it. What would you say to a joint investigation?”
Oh, excellent! First, you give a very plausible reason why Lois would want to join up with Clark ("Trask is the perfect distraction"). And now from Clark's point of view:

Con: Lois is smart, and if she hangs around me too long she's likely to figure out the secret.

Pro: She's a world-renowned journalist who can help me figure out Trask. And she's not affected by the kryptonite - I already feel like I can trust her, and if I need her to handle the kryptonite she can do it. And, she fascinates me, and I fell in love with her at first sight. Sure! Anything that keeps Lois around me is great!

The thrill I get when I imagining my name on a newspaper byline again is exhilarating, but it has nothing on the rush I get from Clark’s smile and the touch of his hand.
Ooh...the romance is starting. Now if we can just get Lex in prison and Trask taken care of....there's lots of obstacles yet for our doughty pair!

Your fic is really holding my interest. Well written, good plot, excellent characterization, sly humor at the complications of the secret identity - it's got it all!

Please post more soon.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh my...When Elisabeth told me that this was a great story, I knew I wouldn't be disappointed.

My Beloved has a gift for understatement, apparently.

This story ROCKS! thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

I only have one little niggle.

Lois should have swept Clark's house for bugs. If Clark is getting to be that big a thorn, he should have tried to bug Kent's place.

Of course there wouldn't be any, because Clark would have found them and gotten rid of them.

Lois should be surprised at the lack of electronic bugs.

Of course, that would get rid of the whole naive key under the mat scene...

James, who can't wait for the next installment.

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
M
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
M
Taking a break from my writing, I found your story. I like this storyline, and will be reading it as you continue. I'll be interested in how Lois will walk the tightrope of investigating Luthor and pretending to be the 'devoted' wife.

Max

Sue S. Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
It's been over a week now. Where's the next part? Huh? Huh? Where is it? smile1

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
R
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
R
another great part and to echo Sue's comment....Where is the next part?

robinson
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Feedback, the nectar of the gods. evil

Terry Thanks for the affirmation on the set-up and the characterization. It's appreciated.
I like seeing an aggressive Lois and a not-quite compliant Clark.
Me too. I think the aggressiveness is one of Lois' defining characteristics and isn't it Clark's standing up to her that makes the relationship work? Without it, Lois wouldn't respect him as much as she does.

Regarding the technical note rotflol Yes, I think I've discovered how difficult it is to sustain a long story in the first-person present tense and I'm glad that I've caught all of those past-tense verbs that kept slipping into the story. Thanks for your complimentary and funny praise. /me chuckles at the 'Hamlet-style mental paralysis'...

Artemis Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad you're enjoying the story.

Michael Thanks for reading and providing such thoughtful questions. They reveal more about what I've written than you'd think. As for the answers to your questions... coincidence, schmoincidence. What better chance to nab the billionaire's wife then when she's three-thousand miles away?

Elisabeth Thanks for giving the story a second chance and providing comments. Oh, and sloppy for pimping the story to James. wink

Mr. D8a Thanks for picking up the story and for providing comments. I've gone back to part 5 and revised a couple of paragraphs to incorporate your suggestions about Lois sweeping Clark's place for surveillance devices. See how well I listen? Thanks again for the praise.

IolantheAlias Thanks for the feedback about the double-meanings in Clark's words. It's incredibly fun to write.
since this fic is from Lois's POV, we don't know if Clark has come across kryptonite before. Did the same thing happen, with the tree falling down?
Maybe. Maybe not. RAFO!
I'm assuming that Trask takes the box with him. But, when you upload this fic to the archive, could you please make that clear?
Erm, yeah. Sorry about that. I've revised the paragraph in part 6 to make it more clear that Trask takes the Kryptonite with him.

Love the pro and con argument you lay out. I'm glad that you can get into Clark's head, even though the story is from Lois' perspective. Stay tuned for more.

Max Thanks for reading and for letting me know what you think. I can't (read won't) really tell you about how Lois handles Lex from now on, but I will say that you'll find out later.

Sue Hey, hi there. It's been over a week, you say. Heh...how about that? /me pulls on collar to loosen it. OK, I'll do my best to get part 7 posted soon.

Robinson Thanks for the fdk and the nudge.

Brenda

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard