Print Thread
#60416 01/28/09 08:44 AM
A
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
A
So...

What do you think? Try to be kind! I think that if you accepted this part and didn’t find it completely unbelievable, and can cope with the angst level, *hopefully* you’ll make it through to the end of the fic.

- Alisha (who was very nervous about posting this part!)

R
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
R
I really like this part. The angst was wonderful. I did not have a problem with them having sex. They are obviously still Lois and Clark and are attracted to each other. But Clark is angry and Lois is feeling bad (which she should).

'He shook his head sadly. “No. You don’t understand. If we continued, it would just be sex.”
This is very telling about where they are. This is all Clark can give her. The 'sex' might help them both to heal. I believe it is more than sex for Clark and he just can not admit it to himself or Lois. I would love to 'hear' his thoughts concerning this.

Keep it coming

robinson
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Um about your little end note... So where is the nfic part!! We are dying in the nfic folder! Help! Meanwhile, so far I really like this angst and all. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
First off, thank you for not making this an nfic, story. I don't read nfic and I wouldn't have wanted to miss out on this highly original and enjoyable story.

Actually, given the circumstances of their situation I can't see how an nfic version would have been very satisfying. Since there wouldn't be any real 'passion' or emotional commitment, it wouldn't have any component of romance which I always thought was supposed to be the 'draw' of any nfic version of a story. This would have been merely an explanation of thier physical 'exercise' and the mechanics of their interplay. Not terrribly interesting.

You gave us what we needed to know with your 'after the fact' exposition at the end.

Interesting situational plot. A tough road ahead for our two protagonists. Looking forward to more.

Tank (who thinks that Lois should cut her hair as a symbol of getting rid of the old Lois who betrayed Clark and is instead now this new Lois, ready to start fresh)

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
This is a highly original and absolutely engrossing tale. I was more than a little surprised when both Lois and Clark wanted to make love that night, but at the same time it felt so completely right. Both of them, and especially Clark, are so lonely. Both of them have so little warmth in their lives. And in spite of what Lois has done to Clark, there is still that spark of attraction between them. And Lois just did save Clark's life, after all.

The fact that they have slept together isn't something they will be able to forget. It is going to be so much harder - no, make that impossible - for them to go back to being as cold and distant with each other as they were before. Their bodies will remember what has transpired between them, and their bodies will insist on going back into each other's arms. Both Lois and Clark said that what happened was 'just sex'. They will find out how wrong they were about that.

Ann

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
I think I disagree with Ann. I think, for Lois, it was more than just sex. But at this point, I don't think it was more for Clark. He still carries a great deal of bitterness and resentment against Lois for what she did, and he's nowhere near putting that behind him and building a real relationship with her. Just because the body does something doesn't mean the mind will follow along.

I do agree, though, that they can't go back to where they were before, especially if Lois gets pregnant. I don't care if she's on the pill, Clark's little swimmers are super-powered. Besides, just because she says it doesn't mean she really is. Maybe she was just trying to ease his troubled mind in more ways than one.

I'm not a fan of casual sex, and that's putting it lightly. You've set up a situation that will demand a resolution - and soon - because there's no way they can just be casual adversaries from now on. Lois has allowed her heart to lead her into a minefield, and Clark has put another layer of lead shielding against Lois Lane on his heart. And Clark's attitude towards Lois in bed makes me wonder how often he's taken comfort in the arms of a woman he has no real feelings for or commitment to. He's well on his way to thinking of women as objects of desire and satisfaction instead of people, and that can't help him in his Superman work.

I assume that the next chapter will be the morning after. I wonder if Lois will say something she'll regret. Of course, she's already done something she's going to regret. Watching Clark go to sleep facing away from her has to hurt, no matter her protestations to herself.

It had been sex, it had been good. We’d both enjoyed it and found a much needed release from it. It was enough.
Ha! Like I believe that!

Technical notes: The first-person viewpoint is difficult to work with, but you're doing a first-class job with it. What a writer gives up in presenting information from multiple sources is given back by being able to 'drill' deeper into the mind of the person who's telling the story. We've already seen how Lois is trying to deal with this whole situation, and how she's trying to find a way to make things right.

As much as some will want to see or hear Clark's thoughts, I strongly advise you to stay in Lois' head for the entire story. This is, after all, her tale to tell, and it would be cheating to 'peek' into Clark's mind. You can show us part of what's going on in his head by having Lois observe his actions and his attitude, listening to not only what he says but how he says it, having her make eye contact with him and showing us her view of his reaction.

You're doing a wonderful job so far, and I applaud your efforts. I'm not quite brave enough to tackle first-person in this fandom. Three cheers to you, Alisha!

I want the next part! Bring it on!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I agree it is good the way it is now. If, however, they do eventually get together and trust each other again, that would be a good time for the nfic. After all, the hope of a happy resolution is what keeps me reading. Right now, keep it coming.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Top Banana
Top Banana
Alisha! Finally! Part three. I agree with the masses that you are doing a first rate job with this story. It *is* original!

“I’m not arguing with you, Kent.”

Suddenly his eyes locked with mine and I was startled by the intensity of them. “What did you call me?”

“Kent. That’s your name,” I told him, momentarily wondering if the kryptonite had caused some sort of amnesia. That might be why he was talking to me.

“I know, but,” we lost eye contact again and I immediately missed it, “hardly anyone calls me my name.”
Clark sounds so lonely here. He wants so badly to be able to be "just Clark", and have a personal life with someone that he loves, but...
“Clark, please. Just go to bed. You don’t need to put yourself out for me. I’m the one in the wrong.”

“Only if you come with me.” I stared at him in shock. Had he really just said...? “It’s the only way either of us will get any sleep. I know you won’t back down either.”
This sounds almost like Clark is daring Lois to come to bed with him. It's almost as if he's thought it through and is planning to sleep with her and discard her as a way of using her insecurities t get back at her. I think CLark knows that Lois would do just about anything to make this thing right with him.
“You awake?” His question surprised me as I felt it breeze through my hair.

“Yes.”

“This isn’t a dream then?”

I allowed myself a small, sarcastic chuckle. “Yeah, because you dream about us lying together like this a lot.”

He sighed but made no answer. I felt him move his head so that it rested against the top of mine. I was amazed at how natural this all felt. “Can we pretend this is a dream?” he asked me softly after a pause.

“Please,” I begged, pulling myself away from his chest so I could look at him.
I wondered if Clark was playing head games here but I think that this is what he really wants but doesn't want to be too vulnerable.
He searched my face for some reaction, I don’t know what he was expecting to see but I assumed he found it as his face leant closer and his mouth found mine. I closed my eyes as his tongue teased my lips open and I allowed myself to shut out the reality of our situation and immerse myself in our dream. Why on earth he’d dream about kissing me, I had no idea but he was very good at it and I knew that I’d be dreaming about this for a long time, whether it was a dream or reality. I brought my hands up to run them through his hair and hold his mouth more firmly against mine as I slid my tongue along his into his mouth so that I could taste him more fully. At first he seemed to welcome this invasion, but then he seemed to come to his senses and he broke off the kiss. He raised himself up onto his arms and gazed down wondrously at me. Then he let out a deep breath.
Oh yeah! party
“Lois.”

“Clark,” I responded, and watched him as he closed his eyes at the sound of my husky voice saying his name.

“I...” he seemed to find it hard to vocalise whatever it was that was bothering him.

“What is it?” I prodded gently.

“This isn’t right.”

No, it wasn’t. Nothing was right any more, especially between us. Except this, to me, this felt perfect. “It’s just a dream.”

“It’s not, though. There are... consequences to consider.”

“I’m on the pill.”

A small smile graced his passion-flushed face. “I didn’t mean that. I meant... us. I can’t make love to you.” He was serious again, and starting to look angry.

“I can’t force you to,” I sighed. I just about managed to stop myself from smiling at what I said. ‘Forcing’ *him*, of all people, really was beyond my limits.

He shook his head sadly. “No. You don’t understand. If we continued, it would just be sex.”

“I know,” I whispered, “there’ll never be anything between us, I’ve hurt you too deeply. I know I was never exactly nice to you before, and then I--” I broke myself off, deciding not to go down that path, the last thing I wanted to do right now was remind him of what I had done to him, “but a part of me still wants to be your friend. It’s crazy, isn’t it? There’s no way you can ever forgive me for ruining your life. I wish I could make you forget it all.”

“Maybe you can,” his voice came out unusually deep, even when compared to the voice he used as Superman. He lowered his mouth back down to mine and I closed my eyes as we fell into our dream.
So, it's almost as if Clark is having second thoughts about his plan to have "sex" with Lois and hurt her. But then he implies that this could help him to forgive and forget. This is a can of copperheads that they have opened. There is *no* way that either of them will be able to regard this as *just sex*, especially when they find out that Lois is pregnant and CLark blames her for yet something else that angers him!
Unlike every other time I’d slept with a man, this time I knew from the start it was nothing more than sex and for some reason that made me even more determined not to ruin it by hearing him tell me how little it meant to him.
As long as you're honest with yourself, Lois.
I think he had moved so that he had his back to me. His tired and sated voice drifted over to me. “‘Night, Lois.”

“Goodnight.”
Ouch...this had to hurt Lois. I still believe that this meant something to Lois and to Clark. I don't think either of them would participate in casual sex and I believe this is just like the show...Clark's first time and cannot be taken lightly. This is good, Alisha!

Loved it, loved it, loved it! Don't take so long with part 4!

~Sheila

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.
S
SJH Offline
Features Writer
Features Writer
S
I have to agree, this is not casual sex for either of them. And by turning his back to Lois, I get the feeling Clark is hiding something - tears maybe? He just had a wonderious experience with a woman he loves/hates and he may never have it again.

"I'm red-eyed, tired and drunk" Teri Hatcher
"Fun will now commence" 7of9
Top Banana
Top Banana
This is just SO good. They are both in so much pain and that's coming through so well.

I have to admit that I read each section with my angst-o-meter on DefCon 5. There is so much potential for this to go well, smile and so many opportunities for a complete melt-down. devil

Bob

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I think he had moved so that he had his back to me. His tired and sated voice drifted over to me. “"Night, Lois.”

“Goodnight.”
I have to agree, this doesn't sound as if Clark is in love with Lois. 'Tired' and 'sated' sounds as if lovemaking with Lois was good for him, but no big deal. It is even possible that he wanted to have sex with Lois as a way to get somewhat even with her, if he suspected that it would hurt her if he became intimate with her and then treated her slightly contemptuously afterwards. Terry raised a somewhat frightening question - what if this isn't Clark's first time at all? What if he has become a womanizer who looks for a bit of forgetfulness and warmth in a woman's arms when he can find someone offering, only to discard his bedmate afterwards?

Well, I still believe that this experience was different and unforgettable for Clark, no matter how much he may want to pretend otherwise.

Ann

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'm still wondering if anything can be salvaged "from the ruins".

Hopefully, as more parts are posted, I'll find out.

Post more soon!

A
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
A
Aw, thanks for all the comments guys! Big hugs all round! sloppy

So, collectively you all think that Clark is a womaniser who has just had sex for the first time with Lois, which was an evil scheme of his to get back at her for revealing his secret identity, and she’s later going to find out that she’s pregnant and cut her hair. (Can anyone spot Tank’s input? laugh ). I won’t say anything other than ‘no comment’, but I love reading your ideas!

robinson, yes, it probably would be interesting to ‘hear’ Clark’s thoughts, but that’s one of the reasons it’s all in Lois’ head, so that we only know what she does.

Laura, LOL! I know the nfic folder is a little... empty at the moment, and I do feel a little guilty about not putting this in there. Sorry about that!

Tank, a new haircut for a new Lois, eh? Well, I agree, it would certainly be symbolic. Or maybe Clark could get so angry with her that he attacks her with a pair of scissors, or maybe even a razor and completely shaves her head? What a world of possibilities a haircut opens up! Or, maybe her hair remains the same? Who knows? wink

Ann, thanks for your opinion.

So, Terry, pregnant Lois and Clark the womaniser, eh? Hmm... And as for the technical notes – as soon as I got the idea for this story I knew it had to be written from Lois’ first-person point of view. I just couldn’t see how it would work any other way!

Artemis, thank you, and I hope you do carry on reading.

Sorry I took so long to post part three, Sheila! I’ll try not to make you wait so long for part four. I’m not going to make a comment on Clark’s intentions and experience!

Thank you for your thoughts, SJH.

Bob, I don’t blame you; I wouldn’t trust me either!

And, IolantheAlias, thanks for your comments.

Top Banana
Top Banana
So, collectively you all think that Clark is a womaniser who has just had sex for the first time with Lois, which was an evil scheme of his to get back at her for revealing his secret identity
Well, no. I don't. But I am a well known hopeless romantic. (And a bit naive as well.) I can never attribute such sinister motives to either of them. I think Clark has mixed feelings about Lois. He loved her. Then he hated her. Now he feels the old affection and he doesn’t want to acknowledge it.

I have a very hard time thinking that we would do something so cruel as has been suggested.

But again, that’s just me. smile

Bob

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'm with Bob on this. Clark was very comfortable leaning on Lois while the Kryptonite was affecting him. And he is grateful for being saved by Lois, if somewhat surprised. I just think he was deeply, deeply hurt by what Lois did to him, but I think she did it unthinkingly, not pausing and contemplating the consequences.
Clark a mechanical womanizer, I don't think so. Maybe a fling or two, but not a Casanova.
Just my humble opinion.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
A
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
A
Originally posted by bobbart:
So, collectively you all think that Clark is a womaniser who has just had sex for the first time with Lois, which was an evil scheme of his to get back at her for revealing his secret identity
...I have a very hard time thinking that we would do something so cruel as has been suggested.
Eeep! I was just taking random ideas from peoples comments and sticking them together. I didn't mean to insinuate that any, let alone ALL, of you thought that! Maybe collectively was the wrong word... Besides, could Clark be a womaniser *and*+a+very+patient+man?+In+my+mind+he+could+only+be+one+or+the+other.+Sorry+if+I+didn't+make+it+clear+that+I+was+messing+around+-+voice+tone+can+be+hard+to+convey+in+writing.++Ed ited+to+add+-+maybe+I+didn't+make+it+clear+in+my+silly+summary+that+I+meant+that+it+was+HIS+first+time.+And+also+sorry+if+this+post+looks+funny,+I'm+using+my+phone+and+I+just+delet ed+a+load+of++s+that+had+taken+over+the+spaces!

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
And I wasn't saying that Clark was a womanizer, only that Terry's concern was a legitimate one! But I'm really glad to hear that your Clark isn't a womanizer, and that his first time with Lois was his first time, period. That will make it doubly impossible for him not to be deeply moved by this experience.

So when is the next part? Don't tell me - when you can post without separating every word with a plus sign, right? dizzy

Ann

A
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
A
Originally posted by TOC:
And I wasn't saying that Clark was a womanizer, only that Terry's concern was a legitimate one!
I know! And, from the information given so far, it's not an impossibility, and I'm trying hard not to confirm or deny anything so that I don't spoil the plot. Sigh. Next time I'll just say 'thank you' and try not to make mountains out of mole hills! Life was easier when I had no time to respond!

Part four should be coming up in a few minutes - and this time I'm on a computer, so hopefully it'll be readable! blush

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard