Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Lieta Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
I read this during my lunch break but didn't want to post from my phone.

I like that Lois is fair minded enough to want to try moving to Smallville for Chad... but I wonder how she'll like it.

Sara "Lieta"
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
This remains a lovely story, beautifully told. These are my two favorite quotes from it:

“I wasn't expecting you tonight,” he said.

“I know. I felt like we had to talk. Is this a bad time?”

Chad sank onto the couch and placed his head in his hands. “You need to ask? You need to ask if this is a bad time for us to talk?” he asked me. Even from the door I could see that his eyes were covered with tears. “Lois, you are my wife. You are the most important person in my life. I…” he paused and took a deep breath. “There's never a bad time for you to talk to me. I can't believe we've really gotten to a point where you feel the need to ask.”
So sad, and so beautiful.

“I think the option of keeping things as they are is out anyway,” Chad said. “It puts our marriage at risk too much. I don't want to come out of this loving my job but having lost you.”

“Me neither,” I said, hearing the tears I'd done such a good job of staving off coming on.

“More ice cream?” Chad asked me with a slight grin.

“No,” I said, putting a big spoonful into my mouth. I got whip cream on my lip, Chad started laughing, and my tears dried up.
Just adorable.

As for the actual plot development in this part... I don't know. I agree that it's in character for this Lois to make the decision that she made here. She loves her husband too much not to sacrifice a lot for her marriage. And it is fair, of course, that she should stay in Smallville for a while for Chad's sake, since Chad lived in Metropolis for several years for Lois's sake.

Still I don't think it's a very good decision for her to move to Smallville. I think Lois has a unique talent, and not very many places where she can put that talent to really good use. It's different for Chad. Good doctors are needed everywhere. But there is, literally, only one Daily Planet.

I just don't think that Smallville is a good place for Lois in the long run. That is especially true in view of the fact that she doesn't have children. If she did, she might be happy enough being a housewife and a mother, at least while her children were young. But the way things are now, what is she going to do with herself in Smallville, when Chad is at work? She can't impose herself on Rachel all the time, because Rachel is also at work. Maybe she can spend all her days with Martha and Jonathan?

Ann

Top Banana
Top Banana
Like the developments and Lois' decision... looking forward to that.

I'm just wondering what happens after Lois doesn't like staying in Smallville on a long-term basis (assuming of course that she doesn't fall in love with the place wink )

Or.. will she miss Clark a lot once she moves to Smallville? thumbsup thumbsup dance

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I'm a bit surprised Lois would actually go to Smallville. On the other hand, maybe she's going to write a Wanda Detroit novel. Or two. or three huh

Looking forward to more,
Michael smile

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
A
Features Writer
Features Writer
A
I'm sorry for the long delay in responding. The only time all week I had time to get online was Thursday and for some reason I couldn't get the Boards to come up.

Sara - When I originally wrote the outline of this story, I toyed with the idea of Lois moving to Smallville, but decided against it. I just couldn't see it happening. But once I started writing, I realized this Lois would do it. Regardless of how she fares there, she would want to move there, as you said, to be fair to Chad.

Ann - Thanks! I do agree with you on the idea that Lois can't do what she really wants in Smallville, but I'm not sure it's fair to say Chad can be a doctor anywhere. He can, in the same way that Lois can be a reporter in many places. But the experience is going to be different. While good doctors are needed everywhere, it doesn't mean Chad's experience will be the same everywhere. And I think that is what Lois and Chad are dealing with here - they can both live in many places, but find their jobs most rewarding in different places.

I love my job. If I described it to you, it probably wouldn't sound all that different than the job I had in San Diego and even less different than a job I applied for a couple of years ago in the area where my husband grew up. But I am infinitely happier now than I was in San Diego, and knowing what made the difference, I asked about those things when applying for the other job. While I can't know for sure, I am fairly certain I wouldn't have been nearly as happy in this other job. I think lots of things lead to on-the-job happiness - the basics of the job are clearly key, but there are smaller factors as well. One is your boss (at least in my opinion), but there are also other things - small parts of your job description that change from company to company. For me, I know it's these small things that make me love my current job and made me unhappy in my job in San Diego.

I think the same is true for Chad. His job is not largely different in Smallville than it was in Metropolis, but those small things make a big difference to him.

AnKS - Sorry, I'm not willing to answer any of your speculations. I guess you'll have to keep reading. wink

Michael - Chapter 25 will answer what Lois plans to do with herself in Smallville. I hope to get it up tonight.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard