Print Thread
L
Lieta Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
jawdrop

I think you have a Carol-worthy ending here... not Micheal worthy as you mentioned in his thread but what a place to end...

Poor Lois though in the phone scene =(

Sara "Lieta"
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Oh please let her mean it and not take it back!!!!!

I accepted this story as not being a "Lois and Clark" fic...but more and more I see Chad and Lois not get along and see a chance for Lois and Clark to be there for one another.

I'm excited to see the resolution of this story and who ends up with who!

Lola

"We're both barefoot, both flushed, and we both look guilty as hell. Clark has finger-combed his hair but I'm positive mine looks like I was just f… fished out of the river."

<3 this fic!
'The Next Step' By Sue S.

Top Banana
Top Banana
Uhoh.. Lois said the dreaded words.

Looking forward to more! I still don't know if I want Chad and Lois to break up... besides, even if they do that doesn't automatically mean Lois and Clark. Chad is deeply ingrained in Lois' life. Besides, Clark is friends with both of them... so it'd be awkward and complicated, unless... thumbsup dance dizzy

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Lieta:
I think you have a Carol-worthy ending here... not Micheal worthy as you mentioned in his thread but what a place to end...
dizzy

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I feel very sorry for Lois and Chad. But I agree with Lois's judgement that their relationship isn't really working any more. Chad is a small town boy, and Lois is a big city girl, and they live too far apart to be together for the long haul.

Again, this is beautifully written as always.

Ann

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
You mean we have to wait till next Saturday to find out what Chad says in response? That's not only evil but very cruel as well! I didn't know you had it in you Nancy. wink

I'm glad Lois said the scary words. I also found it fitting that she said them rather than Chad. I still get the impression that she's more miserable than Chad is. Chad is adapting well to his new situation, but Lois is struggling with leading her life with the hole that Chad left.

I only hope that Lois doesn't rescind her words. She means them, I can tell that. But, her emotional dependence on Chad may lead her to push her own feelings aside for the sake of their relationship. I mean, it's all she's ever known since she was 16.

I have no idea how this is going to end and truthfully, I don't really know how I want this to end. But, if Lois and Chad do break up, I hope Chad chooses another small town to live in. That way, Clark (and Lois if they get together) won't have to avoid visiting Smallville to see Martha and Jonathan because of Chad living there.

Can't wait till the next chapter.

T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
There is an obvious, everyone lives happily ever after, ending to this story but I don't know how realistic that would be. You've set the individual feelings these people have for each other pretty strongly to be able for them to make any of the necessary 'switches' seem really plausible.

Of course, you have the option of letting your characters end up miserable ever after.

Rachel and Clark have already broken up, and we all know that Chad and Lois will break up (See the title), but I'm curious to see how well you sell the final outcome and where it will leave these four people.

Your writing has been excellant so far, so I have confidence that you know where you're going with this.

Consider me just another gentle reader along for the ride.

Tank (who is not a big fan of Chad and wouldn't care if he didn't survive the ending of ths story)

A
Features Writer
Features Writer
A
Yes, Sara, I know that was a slightly mean place to end the chapter, but that's only partly why I ended it there. As you'll see when I post to the next chapter, we don't get to see the conversation here so it made sense to end the chapter.

LolaDane - She does mean it, but that doesn't mean you should get too happy yet. I'll be honest. Yesterday morning I woke up thinking about this story - I was in the middle of writing chapter 30, and decided I wasn't sure I could go with the ending I was planning on. I now have two very different ideas in my head and I'm not really all that happy with either of them. What this means for now, though, is that at least as of chapter 30 (and I think I'm fairly certain as to where I'm going with 31 and most of 32 as well) both with Chad and without Chad are options for Lois.

AnKS - I agree with everything you said. Thus the problems I had when I woke up yesterday morning. I feel like I've built a situation without a perfect ending. I guess this goes with something grinch said about this fic being very "real" - in real life, things rarely end perfectly. I don't see a way this fic is going to either. I'm just going to have to settle for an imperfect resolution...

Michael - If you decide where you want me to head, could you let me know? wink Seriously, the angst here is nothing. For a long while one of the reasons I wasn't writing that fast was that I just didn't want to. It was too depressing to try to get inside Lois' head. I think I've gotten past a point of really being able to readily identify with her so it's gotten easier (I think the living apart stuff was hardest for me to write as I've done it and hated it), but I still feel like things are pretty depressing. Expect several more chapters of angst.

Thanks, Ann. I feel sorry for them, too. In many ways, my marriage is a bit like this, but neither my husband nor I are the extremes Lois and Chad are and that makes life much easier. Our ideal living situation is sort of suburban (although less close to a large city than we are now), and so not that far apart from each other. I think it makes it much easier to decide where you are going to compromise as a couple than when you want diametrically opposed options as do Lois and Chad.

Still, they are in love and want to stay together which often goes a long way towards trying. So, don't count them out just yet.

Grinch - Writing has gone very well so far this weekend (to the chagrin of my husband who was hoping I'd spend less time at the computer and more helping him clean), so I may post the next part tomorrow since I have off.

Tank - Please fill me in - what is the everyone lives happily ever after solution? It isn't obvious to me. Although, perhaps that's just because it isn't realistic. I could just have Chad run over by a truck or something. Lois would be forced to move on then and she'd naturally fall to Clark for comfort.

I know that wouldn't bother you, but it would bother me, so I'm looking for solutions that don't involve a dead Chad...

And while the story is about breaking up, as I said above, I'm still not sure where this is going and I don't see the title as forcing an ending. Perhaps breaking up is so hard to do that Lois and Chad don't do it. Besides the two "breaking up" scenarios I've already had here - Clark and Rachel in a typical break-up and Lois and Chad living apart, I still have two more of the possibilities others have mentioned in previous feedback threads planned. And I don't see either of those defining the ending. Four potential "breaks" seem like enough to justify the title, even if the obvious break up never happens.

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Writing has gone very well so far this weekend (to the chagrin of my husband who was hoping I'd spend less time at the computer and more helping him clean), so I may post the next part tomorrow since I have off.
Normally I'd be jumping up and down about this. But, I have a big exam coming up at the end of the month (cross your fingers for me), that will force me to limit my online time. Oh well. This fic is worth it. smile I'll check in tomorrow.

I guess this goes with something grinch said about this fic being very "real" - in real life, things rarely end perfectly. I don't see a way this fic is going to either. I'm just going to have to settle for an imperfect resolution...
I think if you were going to give us the happily ever after ending (I think Tank was referring to Lois and Clark getting together and Chad and Rachel at the curb), it would be totally unrealistic especially with the amount of chapters you have left. As I've said previously, I don't know how I want this to end, and I will leave it in your hands. But, I DO KNOW that I don't want Lois and Clark together and in love at the end of this story. With all of Lois and Clark's emotional baggage, their relationship would be nothing but doomed at this stage. That I don't want.

I find this story to be so fresh for this very reason. You've used characters who we love together and know they're meant to be together. But, you've written these versions so well, and so in-depth, that I'm not forcing them to this fate. These versions may not be each other's romantic soul mates, but yet, they're still good for each other. It is this new take on two complex characters that I love, that keeps me coming back (even with my impending exam smile )

Blogger
Blogger
rotflol
Tank (who is not a big fan of Chad and wouldn't care if he didn't survive the ending of ths story)

A
Features Writer
Features Writer
A
Thanks, grinch! And good luck on your exam!

One of the aspects I liked about this Lois is she is softer which allowed her to foster a friendship with Clark much sooner. It does showcase that they are good for each other, even if they are not romantically involved (or pseudo-involved as they were in the second season).

frequentflyer - Well, something's out - I'll agree with that, but as 24 makes clear, it may not be what everyone was expecting/hoping for.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard