Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Lieta Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
*tear* very cute for some parts... very sad for others... the last scene with Rachel and Clark especially... Chad seems to be integrating into Smallville really well... I wonder if/when that will become an issue...

Sara "Lieta"
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
This remains a brilliant fic in its own inimitable and beautifully realistic way.

Isn't this little episode beautiful, and beautifully written?

“Was something wrong with Daisy?” Clark asked.

“What's not wrong with Daisy?” Rachel laughed. “That child can get herself into more trouble than anyone I know.”

Chad laughed. “Yeah. She had… brace yourself, swallowed one of Barbie's shoes.”

We all laughed and Clark asked, “But she was okay?”

“She was fine,” Chad said. “Just scared. Her dad had found her swallowing the second one – she didn't like the idea of the pair being separated.”
sloppy

Another little thing that caught my attention was this:

“I talked to Rachel today,” Clark mentioned.

I nodded while I measured out the milk.

“She said she had lunch with Chad today. I guess we're all going to go to dinner this weekend,” Clark told me.
Rachel had lunch with Chad? Well, it could be that it would be better for everyone if Chad and Rachel could be together for good in Smallville and Clark and Lois could be together in Metropolis.

You wrote the fight between Lois and Chad very realistically and quite heartbreaking. I can understand Chad's reasoning, I really can, which doesn't mean I don't still find it totally completely wrong:

“I want you here, too,” Chad said, his tone softer, but I was not appeased.

“As long as I don't take up any room!” I said, swiping angrily at my cheeks. “I'm not even sure why I bother visiting!”
I'm so glad that Martha is there for everybody. Clark has broken up with Rachel, but Martha still sees Rachel as her daughter-in-law of sorts:

Rachel is part of this family. Regardless of how things worked out for the two of you, she was too good to us all for too many years for me to forget that. Besides, aside from those of us in this house, she's the only one who knows your secret and that's a bond nothing else can break
sloppy

Again, this was a brilliant, hugely enjoyable part, Nancy!

Ann

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Nice part.
I’m sorry – I know this is late....think I’m going to have to post once a week
Which should not bother us as we'd all rather you took your time and didn't feel at all pressured. Once a week, once every other week, whatever fits your schedule.

You have set a high bar with this tale by making Chad and Lois seem so well connected. I rather suspect you are going to having trouble breaking them up without transforming Chad into a total scumbag.

Or maybe I simply have higher expectations than some folks because of family history. My father is retired USN (US Navy) and for most of his career he was ship based, aircraft carriers durning Korea and Vietnam, and only home for brief periods. Longest period of time he spent on shore duty was 2.5 years right before he retired in 1975.

Ramen noodles
If you make the noodles not the soup you only use 1/2 a favor pack. So you use the other half to favor microwaved rice.

“Well, no. I came over here as I thought you might like the company,” he said.
Clear danger sign.

Framework4
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Going forward, I think I’m going to have to post once a week – both as I got no writing done at all this week and if I continue not to get online, posting during the week is clearly not going to work. If things ease up, I’ll definitely go back to posting more often.
With a chapter as good as this one was, I don't think we'll mind at all if you can only post once a week. As others have mentioned, it's better to take your time, and it shows, when you produce a good chapter like this one.

As I've mentioned previously, this is such a real fic. I think this was highlighted quite well with Lois pigging out on food (and then saying that she's going to get fat) to the argument she and Chad had about personal space.

I can see Lois' side of the argument. The only reason she comes to Smallville is to spend time with Chad. But, without Chad there, where does she fit in? He is her connection there. I also see Chad's perspective. How can he build a space for Lois, when she is only there part time? They've never lived in Smallville together, so they don't really have a place filled with THEIR possessions and THEIR memories.

I don't know about anybody else, but I see Lois missing Chad more than Chad missing Lois. Although Lois is finding a new routine for herself, I see Chad fitting into his new position/life/community quite easily and nicely. I also sensed that Lois missed Chad more than vice versa. Not sure, if this was meant to foreshadow what's to come or perhaps a gender difference in displaying emotions.

The whole Rachel-Clark and Lois-Chad parallel is great. It must scare Lois to death watching what happened between Clark and Rachel, and dread what may be with her and Chad. I never could quite tell if Clark and Rachel were in love with each other, or had been together so long, that they didn't know any better. The more and more I see the couple interact, the more I start to think that the latter.

I honestly can't see this fic ending anywhere but with the break-up of Lois and Chad or them getting back together. To have Lois and Clark get together would take a whole lot of build up and character development. Plus, if Lois and Clark did get together, at this point, I would think of it as nothing more than a rebound relationship.

You keep surprising me Nancy, so I'll leave the story plans to you. I'm anxiously awaiting the next part.

grinch

PS: Not only is this story entertaining, I'm also broadening my food knowledge. I now know what Nutella is, what Ramen noodles are, and how Fish and Chips are served in England. smile

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
A very nice update, Nancy. I don´t think Chad suffers less, we just don´t see it. And if this was any tale but a LnC, I´d expect some really dicy relationship trouble ahead. Their friends seem far too close huh

Once a week is okay be me.

Michael smile

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
A
Features Writer
Features Writer
A
Thank you all for such kind words! And thank you also for understanding about my having to slow down my posting schedule. As despite my best efforts, I ended up doing more reading than writing this weekend, this will be doubly helpful.

Sara - Yes, Chad is blending into Smallville well. I hated the scene with them all going to dinner as Lois was bound to feel left out, but I needed to get this across. Thus far, at least, Chad has yet to have his dreams of small town life dashed.

Ann - The Chad and Lois fight was another tidbit that was at least semi-autobiographical. My husband definitely thought of our place in NY as ours and his in CA as his when we lived apart. I don't think he had the same feeling as Chad of wanting to feel like we had a place together so much that we had lived in NY together before he left, but I never lived in CA. Still, it was something that always vaguely annoyed me and while he did make efforts to make sure I had a place for things when I visited, I still often felt like I didn't really belong. I spent a summer living in his place in CA and even though I spent all day in his apartment while he was at work, I still never felt at home there and was always conscious of the fact that this was where he lived, but not me.

Oh, and the "I don't know why I bother visiting!" line was a common one during the many fights we'd have when we'd see each other. I imagine Lois and Chad have less of those, only as they see each other more often. Clark takes Lois out to Chad almost every weekend. We often went a few months without seeing each other which made it very easy to fall into "living alone" sort of patterns.

I also thought it was important that Martha still takes care of Rachel. It's sort of important in my mind that Martha doesn't prefer Lois or something like that. Given the way I picture Rachel, I can't imagine Martha not liking her and she's so maternal, I also can't imagine her not caring about Rachel anymore just because she is not with Clark.

On the other hand, I also need Martha to be there for Lois and Chad. I think Lois needs the type of comfort Martha can provide right now.

Patrick - I do think that some couples can make a relationship work long distance and that's not out of the realm of possibility for Chad and Lois. However, I also don't know that because of this Chad needs to be awful for them to break up (not that I'm saying they will be, of course). I'm not sure all couples could make that work.

Plus, using Clark for recent visits is okay short term, but can they really ask him to do that if they decide to live apart permanently?

I really have no intention of Chad turning out to be a scumbag. Of course, that could mean that I have no intention of them splitting up, too. wink I just wouldn't suggest you wait for us to find out some deep, dark secret Chad has hidden from Lois. Nor would I expect to see Lois accidentally find him in someone else's embrace or something.

That Ramen noodle trick seems like a useful thing to know when trying to save money in college.

grinch - You're right. While I was only on Lois' side of that argument and so I do tend to "feel" it more, I can also logically see Chad's point. I think I see this as being part of your next point - Lois missing Chad more than the other way around.

While I think Chad misses Lois terribly and we just don't see it as we're in Lois' head, I do also think Lois misses Chad more than the other way around. This is based on my personal experience. During the first few years of our marriage my husband was in grad school and went away occasionally. Not often, but he did some field work, went to conferences, etc. I always felt like I missed him more when he went away than he did me. He came home with all this stuff to tell me about what he did, and I felt I had just kept living the same life as before, so what was there to say?

Then after we lived apart for awhile, we've settled into the life we have now where I have a job that requires a fair amount of travel and my husband travels only rarely. And surprise, surprise, the first time I went on a business trip when I went to call him at night, I realized I didn't miss him with the same intensity as I was used to when we were apart. I still missed him without question, but it didn't feel the same. And then we talked and it turned out he sounded like he missed me in a way he never had before.

My theory is this (and I should say, I've never discussed this with anyone but my husband, so maybe it wouldn't be this way for other couples) - Lois and Chad have a life in Metropolis. Chad leaves and Lois makes only minor adjustments as why would she do more than that? Still, this means there are "holes" in her life where Chad would normally be and she's constantly noticing his absence.

Chad, on the other hand, moves to Smallville, a place where he's never had a life with Lois and even though she visits often, it's still essentially his world and she just fits in around it when she's there. So, he doesn't have constant reminders of her absence in the same way.

For me, coming home at night when my husband is gone, I'm hit with how quiet the house is, with how sad it is to have to eat dinner alone. When I travel, I never think the hotel room is too quiet. I spend more time in hotel rooms alone than with him - quiet is just what hotel rooms are. And eating alone is just an aspect of business travel. So, I'm not hit over the head with being alone most of the time when I travel and so I miss him less intently - which I don't see as being the same as missing him less. I still much prefer it to be together than apart. I just don't find the being apart quite as painful when I do the leaving. sad

No comment on how this will end. I'm still struggling with that myself...

Michael - Interesting that their friends seem too close. I can see that, sort of. I'm a big believer in the fact that your spouse should be your best friend, but I can see Lois and Clark's relationship making that difficult for Lois when Chad is far away. And while we don't see it, perhaps he's making a friendship like that as well (with Rachel?). But I also see Clark as being quite disciplined and not wanting to infringe on their relationship, so I think while he wants to be there for Lois, he will try his best to not come between her and Chad.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard