The Scream
By Christiane Schmidt <lagsi@gmx.de>
Translation by Susanne L. Siegrist <tigersusi3103@gmx.de>
Rated: PG-13
Submitted: March 2003

Part 3 / 4

"Clark, I love you!"

Clark heard these words in his sleep and registered that he must unintentionally have fallen asleep. Lois must have slipped into a restless sleep again and must be dreaming of him. He forced himself not to move a muscle so as not to wake her abruptly and opened his eyes. He was caught off guard when he noticed that Lois wasn't sleeping at all. Her face was only inches from his and he gazed into her wonderful dark eyes, now clouded by a haze of tears. But she was smiling. She smiled and clearly said "Clark, I love you!" - what did that mean?

"Lois? You're awake?"

"Yes - Clark."

Her smile was so unearthly beautiful, she didn't look cynical or taunting, no, she just beamed at him. That moment liberated him from all the anxiousness and worries of the last hours. The fear of her negative reaction, the anger over the loss of his identity and the uncertainty of how to carry on. She knew. She knew it all. And she was again one step ahead of him. This woman was a real phenomena. Oh, god, he loved her so much and in that moment of revelation, these dark hours of light he loved her even more. The situation made it easy for him to reveal everything that was burning in his soul. Better to tell her now than to wait for later when long speeches might destroy the lovely tension between them. Maybe she would then even take back her declaration of love. No, he would tell her now.

Clark held his partner's beautiful dark eyes with his own, feeling incredibly relieved and beaming just as hard as she, and said:

"Lois. I love you too."

Lois' heart stopped beating for a second. She had anticipated a jest about her investigative abilities, a sullen "I wanted to tell you myself!", an apprehensive "How did you find out?" but Clark's declaration overwhelmed her completely. She felt the unstoppable tears coming and finally lost her composure utterly. She threw herself on his broad chest, looped her arms around his body and felt herself being held save in return. Now everything poured out of her.

"Clark, oh, Clark, I was so stupid. I've already loved you for so long and I couldn't bring myself to admit it. And now I thought you were dead! Imagine you dying and me left behind, never having found the courage to tell you how much I loved you..."

The sobbing increased and her voice grew smaller.

Clark held her in his arms, stroked her hair and covered the parting of her hair with small kisses. He breathed her scent deeply, not perfume, but the specific Lois-scent which he would recognize out of a thousand other women. He gave Lois the time she needed to calm herself and then said:

"I'm so sorry, Lois. It almost broke my heart to see you suffer so much, but you didn't want to listen to me. I wanted to tell you on the street that you don't need to mourn me, but I couldn't reach you. I apologize for treating you a bit roughly when I brought you here."

"That's o.k.. Thanks. Thank god, you're alive. I thank Him for your existence. That He brought you to me."

Again Lois started crying. Clark just held her and murmured soothingly until she rebelled against his embrace. She looked him laughing into his eyes and for a moment he feared she would become hysterical, but it was pure relief.

"Oh Clark, look at me: is that the fearless, determined Lois Lane who has totally lost her grip on herself and is crying into your shoulder? What has become of me?" she asked with a mischievous glint in her eyes.

[Linked Image]

"Become? You are still the most beautiful, most adorable and fascinating woman that I've ever come across. And I'm proud that I managed to make you speechless!"

"Hey!" Lois thumped her fist into his side and he reacted playfully as if she had hurt him.

"Ouch! Will you cut it off? I don't want a woman who's brutal!"

Laughing, Lois thumped him again a few times and suddenly their faces had drawn nearer and both drowned in each others eyes.

"Lois, I'm so glad that this hiding is finally over."

"Me too. And I'm..."

No, words wouldn't do. Unnecessary. Too earthly. A transcendental air was palpable between them and when the tips of their lips met, the earth stood still. They wouldn't have to describe these feelings to each other later as they were both feeling exactly the same. It was an electrifying feeling which spread from their lips through their bodies to their toes, engulfing them. It was what they had longed for their entire life, this intensive feeling of rightness and belonging. Flinching as if a real electric bolt had hit them, they stared unbelievingly into each others eyes. Slowly, first feather-light, then hungrier and ever more intensive, they kissed again. The thought "I love you as never before..." was drowned out by the sheer need of the kiss. There were answers for questions, thanking for asking, giving for taking.

[Linked Image]

In this kiss which lasted only a minute there was more getting to know each other than in hours of talking. Both were aware of this deepening bond and appetent to let themselves be totally consumed by it and to make this dream come true. Breathless, after seemingly endless minutes, they paused and gazed into each others' eyes.

"So this is it." Lois said in a dry manner, as if she had to defuse the tension a bit, but Clark didn't recognize this undertone.

"Oh god, how long have I dreamed about this. Thanks for being there!"

Desire had given way to contentment and Lois and Clark were now lying entwined on the bed, each trying to clear the mind to make room for the reality and a clarifying situation amidst the overwhelming love they felt for each other. It was Clark who broke the silence.

"Lois? Is everything all right between us?"

A gentle chuckle was the first answer, then she clarified: "Well, I have a lot of questions to ask. And a few bones to pick with you - Superman. But... I know I'm happier than I have ever been in my life and I'm trying to steer my thoughts to the problem at hand: Clark Kent mustn't stay dead! Clark, I *need* you! As my partner, as my friend, as my - ordinary - well, - man. I don't want to be the prime target as Superman's concubine, I want us to lead a normal life. And therefore you have to be resurrected, no matter how."

"You want to share your life with me?"

A small knowing smile on Clark's face brought the "old" Lois back for a second: "Hey, Kent, don't be smug!" Instantly her face grew earnest again. "Yes, I think that is exactly what I want. What I have searched for all my life. And we will talk about it as soon as we take care of this miniscule problem. So, what are you suggesting?"

"Lois, I've already phoned my mom. Why don't we just fly over to Smallville and talk it over with my parents?"

"With your parents???"

After a short moment of astonishment, Lois gave the answer herself: "Of course, your parents. They know everything, right?"

"Certainly, Lois. My parents are - besides yourself, that is - the most wonderful people on earth."

"And I believe, you wouldn't be the man you are if not for them. Just think about what havoc a man with your powers could cause! You grew up with people who imparted the right values on you, so that you could do only good as a grown man. How and when did you come to be raised by the Kents?"

"That is a very long story. What do you say, first we sleep and then I'll tell you everything tomorrow morning on the flight to Smallville? I'll tell you how I came to the Kents, how I came to be Superman and what your role in the creation of Superman was."

"My role???"

"Yes, yours. Curious?"

"Yes, of course! But I'm also very tired. So much has happened today. I think you're right. I will sleep a lot better now that I know that you're alive and that you love me..." Their eyes met and they both smiled at each other. "May I sleep in your arms?"

Without a word Clark put his arms around her, waited until she was cuddled comfortably against him, and kissed her good night.

"Sleep well, beloved darling."

"Oh Clark, to be lying... here... with you... without... that is... so... magical.........."

********************************************************************************

The sun was shining through the window and bathed the entwined pair in her golden light. `The sun is shining so friendly, one could think nothing has happened, that we are on vacation and that there are no dead to resurrect,' Clark thought to himself. He had been awake for quite some time now, but hadn't moved so as not to wake Lois. Yesterday had been a very exhausting day for her with that big shock and the revelations, and since she was lying against him he couldn't get up. But instead of thinking about how to solve the problem he just thought about Lois. What great luck he had. Actually it was paradoxical that he first had to "die" for them to come together. How long two people could live side by side with each in love with the other without realizing it or admitting it to themselves. That this long time had probably been necessary for them to build this wonderful trust between them. What if they had realized earlier? It would probably also have worked out, but it would have been different. Clark had always felt a special bond towards Lois that he wouldn't have been able to describe if pressed. It surpassed the normal feeling of understanding and shared interests by far. It was as if they were destined for each other. As if fate would have thrown them together even against their wills. He had always felt this, but had dismissed it as wishful thinking or fantasy. Today, last night's words still echoing in his mind, he was sure his feelings hadn't deceived him. Nothing had ever felt so right. Somewhere above there must be a higher power watching and supporting their love as there had been no single cry for Superman the whole night through - and that hadn't happened for months. Realizing that, Clark had to sigh and couldn't resist planting a kiss on Lois' hair.

Lois lolled with a growl and awoke with a start when she realized where she was. She squinted into the sun and turned abruptly to the man holding her with strong arms.

"Oh, my god!"

She gazed wonderingly and lovingly at Clark.

"The resemblance between you and - you - is so obvious, I could kick myself for not noticing! You - you are so... so... radiant."

Clark was really beaming by now. "And you are so beautiful!" He framed her face with his hands and gave her a long and sensuous good-morning-kiss. This kiss wasn't as demanding and electrifying as the kisses last night, it was more an exchange of deep understanding, a promise of deep, pure, never-ending love. Again both were reluctant to release the kiss or each others eyes, but this time it was Lois who took the initiative.

"Let's get to work?"

"Let's get to work!"

Both rose with vigor to avoid their sticking together again and both had to laugh at their verve.

"Oh Clark, I'm sure we can solve that problem. Together we can do anything we attempt."

[Linked Image]

"Yes, I've always felt that I could achieve more with you than alone - despite my powers."

"Really?" Lois gazed astonished and questioningly at him.

"Yes, Lois, really. It's not only the values my parents taught me and the powers this yellow sun gives me. You quickened my imagination from the first moment I could share with you. You gave me the idea to create an indefeasible Superman who could use all his powers openly. You were the one who inspired and motivated me with your determination, your logic and your admittedly sometimes unorthodox methods I would never have suspected in you!"

"So that's it. The perfect symbiosis. Why didn't we make up earlier?"

"You'll find it amusing, but that was just what I was thinking when you were sleeping. Hmm, well, I'd dare say it wasn't me!"

"So? Weren't you the one who told me you didn't love me, that you only told me so that I wouldn't marry Lex?"

"That was a lie, Lois.

[Linked Image]

I just wanted to have you back as my good friend and partner and was too afraid you'd reject me."

"And that's exactly what I would *not* have done. I was just about to confess that I had called off the wedding because of you. I had turned down Lex in front of the altar, it wasn't the others who prevented the wedding, it was the love I felt for you!"

Clark stared dumbfounded at Lois. His thoughts were racing. He recapitulated the events and feelings of this hard time and he wasn't sure if a bit more sensibility on his part would have made things turn out differently. It had been very hard for him not to give up everything, not to throw away his life in Metropolis. It had been hard for him to convince himself that she was too precious to him to lose. He had stayed and concentrated on overcoming his own anguish. Now he had to deal with the fact that this time had been just as hard for her, maybe even more so, as for him.

[Linked Image]

"Did I hurt you badly?"

"Oh Clark, I can't say any more. Probably. But that's not important. I'm the happiest person on earth today and we have so much time to come. Time to share our feelings, time to answer open questions, time to share the past and discuss situations that seem so different now. Oh god, how often have you saved my life! How often have I played you off against yourself or compared both parts of you or done who knows what! I'm just glad it's over. I'm glad I can finally learn more about your odd life and help you as someone privy to your secret. And I'm happy to share my life with you."

"Lois, you're awesome. I was afraid you'd be mad because I'd lied to you for so long. I know how angry you can get, and now you're surprising me with a calm and rational head in such an emotional situation."

[Linked Image]

"I'm just glad that you're alive. And to make that fact official, we still have a lot to do."

********************************************************************************

It took Lois only a few minutes to freshen up, change clothes and pack a few necessary items. Clark - as Superman - phoned Perry White and told him he would take Lois to Clark's parents to recuperate.

"You are going to fly like this?"

"No, of course not! Look! I've always wanted to show you this."

Clark spun into his Superman costume in an whirl of red and blue and then he was standing in front of her - Superman. In his whole splendor.

[Linked Image]

Lois, speechless, only managed an amazed "Wow!". His costume made him appear a lot larger. Aloof. But something was different today. Right! His air, the way he gazed at her, his movements and even his speech. "Shall we, Lois?" That was definitely Clark. Unequivocally Clark. Lois had to laugh.

"You're a great actor, you know that, Clark Kent?"

He took her into his arms as he had done so often before and flew with her through the window.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, it takes more than to just don a pair of tights and hope that they will distract everyone from the face of the wearer. I think you are deceiving people with your totally different stance and way of moving when you are wearing your costume. Your way of talking and your gaze is so - different."

"My dear investigative reporter is very observant again. I'd bet you'd have found out on your own very soon. And I'm glad you found out. After all, you *are* Lois Lane. I wouldn't have trusted anybody else to make the connection - and I'm glad you spared me having to confess to you!"

Lois laughed. "I don't know if it is because I'm an award winning investigative reporter. It's actually very simple: I love you and have watched you therefore differently than others might have. And I love to go flying with you!"

Held securely by his strong arms, Lois had cuddled her head to his neck, closed her eyes, relished the wind on her face and generally felt safe. She was several meters in the air, totally dependent on the strong arms that held her - totally at the mercy of someone else. Not something she could usually stand. Her independence had always been a big issue for her - and now she was savoring the fact that she was dependent on a single man. Not any man. The strongest man on earth. An alien, so foreign and still so familiar. The man she loved. Had always loved. A fact she had realized very late, but thankfully not too late.

"I also love flying. I started kind of late with it - at 18 - but did it regularly ever since. It helps clear the mind. You know, it's no picnic to find out as a child that you are different from the others. That you can never show off the difference if you want to belong. For them and for yourself. My father always told me that if anyone found out they would imprison me in a laboratory and dissect me like a frog. That made a lasting impression on me. I swore that no one would ever find out about me. Until I met you. I realized from the first moment that you are special. That sharing my life with you would be the greatest gift I could ever be given. It is a great relief not to have to carry this burden alone any more."

"But your parents ...?"

"Sure, they were always there for me - but they are *just* my parents. Every bird escapes the nest and builds its own. That wasn't a problem for me, but I knew I could only live a real life if I could share my secret with someone. The woman I love."

"And the woman that loves you is very proud to have been chosen to share your burden."

Touched by the resoluteness in her words, Clark had to swallow and felt his eyes burning. Lois also remained silent and thought about her life that had been coined by ambition and boredom so far. What had Lucy said? "You don't have dates, you have interviews!" She had been right. But it had had a purpose. If she would have met someone before Clark who would have interested her more than superficially, she wouldn't have fallen in love with Clark. 'So everything in life has its reason. Even the hurtful experience yesterday when I believed the love of my life to be dead.'

To be continued...

Christiane
------------------------------------------
My LnC-Page with exactly 12.124 screengrabs!