Lessons: Epilogue
by Nan Smith

Previously:

The side door that was her goal was some ten feet ahead of her, and here came one of the security men who patrolled the hallways of the great center for Metropolis's commerce and trade. She increased her pace slightly, just as the guard spotted her.

"Hey!" he shouted. "Stop!"

Lois hit the bar that opened the door. Somewhere an alarm shrilled, and the guard came towards her at a run. She burst into the cold, morning air of pre-dawn Metropolis and ran for her life.

Heavy footsteps behind her informed her the guard was in pursuit. Several other shouts told her that other men were converging on her as well. Nowhere around did she see any other signs of life.

The pursuing footsteps were gaining rapidly. Lois sucked in her breath and screamed at the top of her lungs, well-aware that the chances of help arriving were extremely small.

"Help! Superman!"

The whoosh of air heralding the arrival of Superman seemed almost unreal. She tripped over the curb and fell onto the street, tearing her slacks and skinning both knees. Then a pair of powerful arms scooped her up in a tight embrace, and she was aware that she was no longer on the ground.

"Lois," Clark's shaken voice said. "Are you all right?"

She nodded against the blue spandex that covered his chest, trying unsuccessfully to bring her shaking voice under control.

"Now I am."

And now, the Epilogue:

The window of Lois's apartment was wide open when Superman flew her back through it moments later. He set her down on the carpet. "What happened?" he asked. "Why were you running from those men?"

"It's a long story," she said. She looked around, remembering, somewhat belatedly, that Clark was supposed to be here. "Where's Clark?"

"He was -- looking for you." Was she imagining things, or was there the faintest trace of discomfort in his voice? She couldn't be sure. "I took him back to his place and told him I'd find you. Then I heard you scream."

"Oh," she said. "I'll tell you what happened to me later," she added. "Superman, I don't know where you've been, but there's still a piece of Nightfall coming at us. It's due to hit us later today, and --"

"I know," he said. "I'm going to take care of that now."

"Wait," she said. She laid a hand on his arm. "Thank you for saving me," she said lamely. "I found out something pretty scary, and I need to go over to the Planet, to tell Perry about it. Could you take me there before you go?"

He hesitated. "I guess so."

"Thanks," she said. She took a breath and made up her mind. She had to say it, even though he had probably already figured it out for himself. "And would you do me one more favor?"

"Sure."

"I don't want to tell you how to do your job, but could you not ram Nightfall this time? I guessed that you'd gotten hurt, you know, when you disappeared. I think most people figured that out. Everyone was afraid you'd been killed. Is there any way you can -- oh, push it out of the way instead of hitting it head on? I really don't want something to happen to you again."

He smiled ruefully. "You were right," he said. "I did get hurt, although that's off the record. And I think you're right this time, too. I'll do my best -- and I'll drop by with a quote for you when I get back. I owe you a little more than you realize."

"I think we all would appreciate that," she said. "Let me just change my slacks, and we can go. I'll give Clark a call after I get to the Planet. I want to be sure he's all right." She made a beeline for her bedroom. "This will only take a minute."

He didn't answer, but he took a seat on one of her sofas to wait.

Lois didn't waste time. She could put Band-Aids on her scratched knees later. She grabbed the first pair of slacks that came to hand, a pair of blue jeans, and pulled them on. Within minutes, she rejoined Superman in the living room. "I'm ready."

Superman rose from the sofa and held out his arms. "Let's go. I want to get this thing over with as soon as I can."

"Just be careful," Lois said.

He smiled faintly and scooped her up again. An instant later, they were on their way to the Daily Planet.

The newsroom staffers were gathered around the television set in Conference Room One, listening to the broadcast from EPRAD when the monotonous countdown changed. Perry grinned widely, and Lois clasped both hands over her head.

"Mission trackers are reporting an anomaly. Switching to back-up computers for corroboration." A pause. "Roger, confirmation. Asteroid velocity is decreasing. The asteroid appears to be changing course! Ladies and gentlemen, it's got to be Superman!"

The newsroom erupted in cheers.

"He did it!" Jimmy was crowing.

"Lois, you said he's going to contact you when he gets back. I want the story ready to go when he gives you his quote," Perry said.

"Already on it," Lois said.

Outside there was a sudden roar of voices, and Lois looked through the window in time to see Superman streak across the sky. Then he was gone. An instant later, the window of the conference room opened and the familiar figure in blue floated to a touchdown next to Lois. "Ms. Lane, I believe I promised you a quote."

"Yes, you did." She smiled at him. "Come on into the other conference room. This shouldn't take long." Lois was aware of Cat's gaze on her and on Clark as she led him toward the other room, but she didn't look back.

Seconds after Superman had flown away, the door to the stairs opened and Clark stepped through. Whistling softly, he descended the ramp to the newsroom floor. "Did I miss anything?"

"Just Superman saving the world," Lois said. "I'm writing it up now. How are you feeling?"

"All right," Clark said.

"I guess your memory is back?"

"It seems to be," Clark said. He didn't elaborate, but Superman's remark about him owing her something popped into her mind, and she wondered exactly what he had meant. Maybe, someday, when she let him know that she had guessed his secret, or, more ideally, when he told her, she could ask him.

"Good," she said. "I knew you'd bounce back pretty fast. But Clark, you and I need to talk about what happened to me last night. Remember how you've said a couple of times that you don't trust Lex? Well, I think you might have a point...."

The End

(For now)

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.