I actually got to sleep in today as I have my morning off so apologies if anyone was expecting a bright and early post.

Next post will be Sunday... then I might have to play around with the day as the post after that would be Christmas Eve...

Thank you again Nancy (anonpip) and Rel

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Both Sides of the Coin
Part 7

CJ was glad that he had off tonight. He ran a nervous hand through his hair, <Rach?>

<I’m almost home, CJ...> he sighed at the quiet reply. Rach’s voice had always been much quieter than Clark’s... and if they had to travel too far apart they lost the contact.

The door opened and CJ sped forward and swung his wife into his arms. “Rach... Sweetie... I’m sorry...”

Rachel smiled sadly at her husband, “It’s not your fault, CJ, don’t be like Clark and develop a guilt complex, ok?”

CJ sat on the couch with her still in his arms, “I love you, Rach...” he pressed a kiss on her forehead.

Rachel smiled with tears in her eyes, “I love you, too, CJ...” she burrowed her head into his shoulder. “I just don’t know what I want now...”

CJ squeezed her, “You could wait... and apply again...”

Rachel sighed, “I don’t think that will work... I was only following Bill around for a couple days... and I saw a shooting in Suicide Slum and Dr. Platt...” she trailed off as she remembered seeing the electrocuted corpse with a shudder, “I don’t think I’m cut out to be a big city cop...”

CJ nuzzled into her hair, “So what do we do, Rach? If you want to move back...”

Rachel shook her head and cut him off, “No... I love you for offering but you wouldn’t be happy in Smallville... I like it here... it’s very different from where we grew up... but I find the city fascinating... I just need to figure out what to do with myself... you can do all our housework in one minute flat so I can’t even be a housewife...”

CJ snorted, “You hate to cook and you would bore yourself to death if you stayed at home all day...”

Rachel giggled, her disappointment slowly fading away, “I needed this... just to talk...”

CJ grinned in her ear, “Well... we could do more than talk... I certainly wouldn’t object...”

Rachel pulled away and swatted his shoulder, “Don’t ruin the moment, Charles!”

CJ rolled his eyes and assumed a pained expression, “Don’t call me Charles, Sweetie...”

Rachel was swept away by laughter and CJ joined her. As they calm CJ let himself drift, taking in the comforting sound of his wife’s heartbeat.

Suddenly his eyes flew open and he jerked upright. The swift motion managed to spill both himself and his wife onto the floor, “Rachel!”

Rachel stared at him in surprise as she righted herself, “CJ? What is it?”

He gaped at her, “I... you... holy...”

Rachel nibbled on her lips, “CJ... you’re starting to worry me...”

CJ grasped her hands and pulled her into his arms, hugging her tightly, <I need you to link with me, Rachel...> for a moment he cursed the difficulty they had sharing their senses... it was so easy with Clark but so hard with his wife.

<Ok CJ... what is wrong with you...>

<Listen...> CJ extended his hearing, focusing for a moment on his wife’s steady heartbeat before he tuned himself in to another sound: a tiny fluttering sound emanating from his wife’s abdomen.

Rachel turned wide eyes to her stomach, “It’s...”

CJ nodded slowly, “A baby...” then his face clouded, “At least... I think it is...”

Rachel eyes narrowed, “I missed my last period... I thought it was due to the move... you remember how I used to skip every time we took a vacation...”

CJ rubbed her arms, “And you’ve been tired lately... what if it wasn’t a bug or your work load...”

Rachel wrapped her arms around her husband and snuggled into him, “A baby...”

CJ squeezed her to him, “Are you ok with this?”

Rachel giggled, “Well... I need to get a doctor’s appointment to make sure... but CJ... nothing would make me happier than to have your baby...”

CJ grinned, “*Our* baby...”

Rachel frowned, “Why now though?”

CJ shrugged, “No idea... maybe I... fully matured late... although, we haven’t exactly been trying... and you were on the pill until we moved here and you lost your doctor...”

Rachel smiled, “True...” her gaze turned pensive, “Maybe it’s a good thing that I didn’t get in to the MPD... imagine having to turn around and ask for maternity leave...”

CJ chuckled, “That could have been awkward...” he rubbed a hand across her stomach. Suddenly he frowned, “Rach... what if something goes wrong...”

Rachel frowned, “Well... we always figured I wouldn’t be able to get pregnant at all... but I’ll find a doctor and I’ll tell her that you’re adopted so we have concerns about potential abnormal medical history... that should have me watched pretty closely...” she took a deep breath, “And if the worst happens... and we find out there’s something wrong with the baby... we’ll deal with it then... but CJ... you and Clark were almost indistinguishable from any of the other boys your age until you hit puberty...”

CJ sighed, “Yeah... but we still don’t *know*...”

Rachel smiled, “It’s still hard to hope... but a baby...”

CJ floated to his feet, “Why don’t we go *really* celebrate...”

In a flash the room was empty except for the faint echoes of Rachel’s giggles.

Meanwhile at the Planet Lois and Clark were still pouring over Platt’s report.

There was a knock on the door and Jimmy rushed into the room. He handed Lois a file, “We did it! Star Labs recreated the Messenger launch... from the report... as a hologram... it was really smooth!” He drifted off and Lois frowned at him, coming back to earth he continued, “Anyway... they compared the results to the photos you two took... and the damage was the same... Platt was right... it was deliberate sabotage...” He seemed about to burst, “Congrats!”

Lois grinned and whirled to Clark, Jimmy quickly exited. Lois was almost vibrating with excitement and Clark was grinning widely, “He was right!” she threw herself into Clarks arms, “Platt was *right*!”

Suddenly they both froze and Lois started to draw back with a rigid stance.

Clark watched her carefully, “...now we can write the story.”

Lois relaxed, “Yeah... we have to convince people that the sabotage was real and find who was behind it...”

“So we can stop them...” Clark gathered himself, “Lois? Why don’t we have dinner?”

Lois chewed her lip, “Clark... I...”

“As a celebration...”

Lois swallowed, “a celebration... I...” she toke a bracing breath, “...ok...”

Clark smiled and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear.

Lois’ eyes widened at the gesture and she chewed her lip again. Then she gasped, “Oh no! What am I saying... I have plans tonight...”

Clark frowned, “plans...?”

She sighed, “That interview with Luthor...”

Clark sighed, “Yeah... if you suddenly backed off he would wonder why...”

Lois granted him a small smile, “Exactly... I’m... sorry, Clark.”

He smiled, “Hey... I understand, it’s a great opportunity... not to mention that you might catch something in line with our suspicions...” he moved to the door, “...maybe tomorrow?”

Lois considered him, a slightly surprised look on her face. “Clark...?”

He paused, “Yeah?”

“I have an idea...”

He gave her his full attention, “Yeah...?”

“Well... this is an interview... business... but we both know Luthor isn’t going to share that opinion... could you do me a favor?”

“Sure...”

“Come with me... we’ll play it like Perry is having you tail me on everything...”

Clark stared at her in shock, “Are you... sure?”

Lois sighed, “Don’t ask me why... but I trust you, Clark... and knowing what we suspect of Luthor... I think backup is a good idea...”

Clark pulled her into a loose hug, “If you want me... I’ll be there...”

Hours later Clark and Lois stood in front of Lex Tower. “All right, Clark, it’s show time...”

Clark nodded. His plan for the evening was to listen... both to Luthor and anyone else in range... maybe even to do some snooping of his own...

Lois suddenly stalked forward, muttering under her breath.

Clark scrambled to keep up, “Hey, Lois... wait up!”

She threw a glare over her shoulder and slammed her finger into the elevator call button. Once in the elevator she folded her arms and studiously ignored Clark. Only a slight nudge from her foot reminded him that this was a ruse.

They reached the penthouse and Lois stalked out. Luthor was standing in an open doorway and his eyes narrowed on Clark, “Lois...? I wasn’t aware that my invitation included *two* reporters...”

Lois sneered at Clark, “Blame Perry... he has Kent here tailing me on *anything* work related... I even have to share my *by-line* with this greenhorn...”

Clark frowned at her as he was transported back to his first day at the Planet. “Lois... you know that...”

“Remember, Kent, this is *my* show!” Lois stalked past Luthor, who followed, dismissing Clark. Clark stood in the hall for a second before trailing after them. Luthor and Lois had already sat down and been served their wine. A servant brought in an extra chair and set it down as far from its other occupants as the small circular table would allow. Clark sat down; Luthor and Lois ignored him, continuing their fairly inane conversation. He suddenly felt a nudge against his foot. He peeked up over his glasses and met Lois’ gaze for an instant while Luthor approved the menu with a servant. She winked subtly. Clark relaxed and let his hearing expand as he began to take in his surroundings. The only thing he heard for the moment was the sound of an irate chef commanding his domain, obviously enraged by the audacity of his extra guest’s arrival.

It was only after the food was mostly gone that Lois moved in for the kill. “Lex, I’d like to get started on the interview now...”

Luthor wiped his lips with a napkin, “Maybe you should wait until you aren’t playing nanny...” Clark’s eyes narrowed, “...after all, you deserve an exclusive...”

Lois smiled winningly, “But Lex... I don’t want to waste your evening...”

Luthor smiled at her, “Dinner with a beautiful woman is never a waste...”

Lois looked down bashfully, “I insist Lex... besides, Kent might as well see how a real interview is handled...”

Clark tuned out, again listening to the surrounding rooms. There was nothing interesting to hear, so he turned his attention back to the “interview.”

Lois was starring intently at Luthor, “Both your father and mother died when you were fourteen, correct?”

Luthor, patience apparently exhausted, replied sarcastically, “Why don’t I have my office send you a biography?”

Lois raised her brows entreatingly, “Well... because I don’t want the standard line... I want to know the *real* Lex Luthor... What makes you tick... what you want... what you strive for...”

Luthor, apparently having forgotten Clark, reached for his wine and smiled charmingly at Lois, “Pleasure...” he raised his glass in a toast, “The pursuit of pleasure...” Lois eyed him skeptically, “Does that surprise you?”

Clark leaned back and studied the other man as Lois replied, “I would have guessed you’d say ‘power’...”

Luthor set down his glass, “Power is a means... not an end...”

Lois decided to move on, “You took over your first big company at age twenty-one... but there were rumors of coercion...”

Clark’s instincts went on high alert as Luthor’s gaze shot to hers. Clark heard his heart speed up even though no other reaction was apparent.

“Is it true the Board of Directors were paid substantial...”

Luthor interrupted, “Was the food not to your liking?” he motioned to her still largely full plate.

Lois smiled... and kicked Clark’s foot, making him frown slightly, “It was delicious... sometimes when I work I...”

Luthor moved closer to her, “All work and no play... your credo Lois Lane?”

Lois drew back slightly as he moved his chair closer to her, “I don’t think...”

Clark rolled his eyes as he realized Luthor *had* completely forgotten his presence. “Can’t we just enjoy the evening? Enjoy... each other?”

Lois kicked Clark’s foot hard, so he decided to remind the other man of his presence, “...as nice as that sounds Mr. Luthor, Lois and I have a story we need to write up tonight...”

Luthor whirled and leveled a glare on him. “Maybe you could write the story yourself, Mr...”

“Clark Kent.” Clark intoned.

“...C. Kent...” Luthor suddenly frowned, “That name... never mind... anyway, why don’t you run along and allow Ms. Lane to finish her interview?”

Lois entered the fray, “Lex... I would never entrust *my* story to Mr. Green Jeans here...”

Luthor tried one last time, “Let me call a limo for you, Lois... then we can talk awhile longer and you can still meet Mr. Kent at the Planet...”

Lois grimaced, “I wouldn’t trust *anyone* with my story that long...”

The two reporters rose and Clark headed to the door, Luthor snaged Lois’ hand and turned her to him. Clark watched from the corner of his eye, standing well outside a normal man’s range of hearing... listening intently.

Lois fidgeted, “Lex... I really need to...”

Luthor stared intently at her, “Lois... I hope you don't think I invited you here merely because you are a beautiful young woman. That wouldn't speak well for either of us...” Lois bit her lip as he gestured away in the general direction of Clark, “You wanted an interview. A scoop. I understand that.” He then waved it all away with a flick of his hand, leaning closer to Lois, “But, quid pro quo, let me tell you what *I* want.” Lois shrank almost imperceptibly as an odd light entered his eyes, the whites were clearly visible around the circles of his irises, lending him a slightly fanatical air as he leaned even closer, crowding her slightly. “My talent in life is not making money or juggling companies. It's character assessment.” An arm snaked around her waist, he was now so close his eyes were all she could to see, “I sense things about you... possibilities... potentials...” his voice had become almost hypnotic in its intensity, “You have the intelligence, spirit, and vision to transcend the mundane...” He leaned in to capture her lips.

“Lois... we really need to get going...”

Lois jerked away, almost as though freed from a spell by Clark’s voice. She hurried over to him, “Sorry... Lex... duty calls...”

Luthor was glaring steadily at Clark, but he turned to smile at Lois, “We’ll have to reschedule this... interview...”

Lois nodded and she and Clark boarded the elevator. Once they escaped Lois released a sigh, then whistled for a taxi. Once inside she directed the driver to the Planet. She and Clark traveled in silence, at the Planet she turned towards the locker room, “I’ll meet you upstairs in 5 minutes...”

Clark headed up to the nearly deserted newsroom and flopped down at his desk. He closed his eyes for a moment, only to jump slightly as Lois clapped his shoulder. She was now dressed in a business suit and motioned him towards the conference room. Once inside she leaned against a table, “We can write up the story tomorrow... I just wanted to make sure our excuse held up if we were tailed...”

tbc...

Sara "Lieta"