Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Lieta Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
Cute... it is hard to see this only from Lois' perspective though, I want to hear more about Clark and Rachel

Sara "Lieta"
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
“Are you ready to meet my folks?” he asked us as Rachel walked out the door.

“And see a real farm,” Chad smiled at me.

“Come on, Toto,” I teased him. “We're finally in Kansas.”
When I read this, I suddenly wondered if the title of this fic, Breaking Up Is Hard To Do, might possibly refer to Clark breaking up from Metropolis to move back to Smallville. And Lois and Chad breaking up from Metropolis to move to Smallville, too?

Chad would be happy, I think. Whether Lois would be happy depends on what she could do in Smallville. Work for the Smallville Gazette? Or become a housewife? Wouldn't she miss working at The Daily Planet?

Of course Chad would do his best to keep her happy, and she and Rachel could become great friends. And she would love visiting Jonathan and Martha. I can see Martha teaching her to cook, and maybe she could take up artwork like Martha.

But I'm not absolutely sure that Martha would advise her to stay in Smallville. Clark said this about his mother:

Wait till you meet her. You'll love her, I promise. She's… well, no one in town has ever understood my desire to move to Metropolis as much as my mom.”
I'm just not sure that Lois and Smallville would go together all that well in the long run:

Mel laughed. “Good to see Metropolis hasn't knocked the humbleness right out of ya'.”

Was he trying to say that city people weren't humble? I remembered my reaction to the fact that Rachel said I was almost as good as Clark and flushed a little.
If Lois stays in Smallville, will she have to learn to be humble? Lois shouldn't have to be humble, should she? That's not Lois!

What about Clark and Smallville? An eon ago, when there was a comic book named The Adventures of Superboy which told the story of young Clark Kent and his life in Smallville, Clark had to be very careful not to reveal his secret to the people in Smallville. (Yes, that Superboy had superpowers and wore the Superman suit already.) For example, he could never leave the Kent farm to be Superboy by simply flying out the window. What if someone saw him? All of Smallville would know his secret in an instant! So instead, he had dug a long tunnel starting from his parents' cellar and ending among a group of trees a long way off. He always left his house to be Superboy by that tunnel. By contrast, when he moved to Metropolis, he always left his apartment to be Superman by flying out the window.

Smallville is charming, to be sure. It was particularly charming in this chapter. Still, I wonder....

Ann

Kerth
Kerth
Hmm, I love this visit to Smallville. But still, my earlier prediction that Chad and Rachel would make a very good couple proves true. Both love small-town life and everything it represents. They already know and like each other. Chad, as a physician, could just as well work in Smallville.

On the other hand, there are Lois and Clark. There is definitely some chemistry there, even though it isn't love just yet. They both love big-city life, their work at the Daily Planet (which won't be transferred to Smallville, no matter what)...

So, in my mind, the only remaining question is who is going to do the breaking up. We already saw Rachel considering breaking up with Clark, so it's a fair guess to say that she might actually do it.

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Sweet Smallville stuff and Lois wonder at the small town was cute laugh

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
A
Features Writer
Features Writer
A
Thank you all for the replies.

I want to give them the response they deserve, but don't think I'm going to have time today, so in an effort not to wait days and days to do so again, I'm leaving this brief note for now.

I'm glad Smallville came off as charming. There's lots more Smallville to come. At least the next chapter if not the one after that is set in Smallville, and there are several other visits throughout the story. To be fair, I'm not sure all are charming. wink

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard