carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
FDK goes here smile .

Next scheduled posting:
Friday, 10am-noon ET

I made really good progress yesterday and I'm hoping that I won't have to slow down posting but we'll have to see...

Previews

Chapter 108
~*~Clark~*~

She rubbed her stomach absently again. I didn't think she noticed the slight strain on her face. "I'm going to call Kristi," I told her.

"What? Why?"

I put an arm around her and pulled gently on her shoulders until she leaned against me. She stopped rubbing as the strain eased. "Humor me," I said quietly. "I don't think you see it, but every time you start rubbing your stomach your face tenses and it's worrying me a bit."

I thought she was going to protest, but she didn't and that surprised me. Maybe she wasn't quite as calm as she was acting? She just nodded.
Chapter 109
~*~Lois~*~

"I'm going to go stark raving mad," I told Martha.
Yeah - I know it's not much of a quote - go with it wink .

Thanks smile .

Carol

Kerth
Kerth
Loved these. Now, back to my classes... smile I actually started reading the first chapter of today before the second one was posted. laugh

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Fraternal twins, right? And they use both names, right?

I think these two are slipping closer and closer to true love for each other. Clark hasn't agonized over Lana for quite a while, and now that Lois knows that she's his connection to Earth and family - even more than Jonathan and Chris and Martha - she knows that no one else can fill that role for him. And I am absolutely certain that he's going to realize that no woman can give him what he really wants from a relationship - home, family, complete trust, faithfulness, and unquestioning love. Lana wasn't going to give those things to him, whether he realizes it or not. It just wasn't in her to give, although I do hope she finds a measure of peace and happiness in her own live with some other guy. Maybe she could marry a widower with kids or a divorced dad. Maybe she and Lois would use the same drop-in day care. (Nah!)

A few feedbacks ago, Ann mentioned kinds of love that Clark and Lois have shown for each other. She didn't mention phileo, the love friends and family members have for each other. I think that's the love Clark has for Lois, but because Lois doesn't believe that he wants to spend the rest of his life with her, she's holding back to protect her heart. And she feels that way because he's never committed to anything past the five-year mark, so her self-defense is not only justified but is completely natural. The whole hair-washing scene is evidence of that - Clark doing something for Lois that gives him pleasure only in her pleasure, and Lois regretting that she can't suggest that he join her in there some time when she doesn't feel like an overloaded dump truck.

They've got time to work through all that, though. This epic doesn't feel all that huge because we're reading new chapters every day, but it's actually ginormous because we're seeing these two go through six years of their lives together (the time before conception, pregnancy, five years of marriage). I pity the GE who works on this one.

Uh-oh.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Very cute parts! It was nice just to see them spend some time together.

I've kind of had twins in the back of my head for a couple of days as well...

Looking forward to a Martha appearance! wink
JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Fraternal twins, right? And they use both names, right?
I second that! laugh

A few feedbacks ago, Ann mentioned kinds of love that Clark and Lois have shown for each other. She didn't mention phileo, the love friends and family members have for each other. I think that's the love Clark has for Lois
That may be just it, Terry. And these two chapters were lovely, with a lot of phileo as well as WAFF in both of them. I don't remember the last time Lois and Clark were this comfortable with each other. They joked and bantered and had a generally great good time.

I loved this:

We played games for a couple more hours – during which time Lois also managed to acquire the rights to a back rub, a chilled room with a fire going even though it was May, a neck rub, feeding her chocolate cake while she reclined on the sofa, and a scalp massage complete with hair washing if we could find a comfortable way for her put her head in the sink – like at a salon and salon sinks were one thing that Sam didn't have at the house.

I had the feeling she was looking forward to collecting.
Yes, Lois was looking forward to collecting her 'prizes'. But the wonderful thing is that Clark was also looking forward to giving Lois all of this.

This was even more delightful:

"But you know what your mom's done that's made me a winner? She's given me you and your brother." I rubbed her stomach. "You'll understand someday – I hope – why that means so much to me. I'm all that remains of a dead planet – at least until your brother was born, but I didn't know that he was my son at that point. I know you're my son or daughter and I'd love your brother as much as I do now even if he wasn't my biological son, but knowing that he probably is..."

I sighed.

"I never realized my need to be connected to Earth, but you and Christopher... You do that for me and so you need to take it easy on your mom because she's the one who's made that possible. Besides," I whispered, "it's her birthday."

I looked up to see if she was smiling at that, but instead I saw tears. "Hey," I said, moving towards her. "What is it?"

"I never knew you felt like that," she told me.
It's wonderful that he not only acknowledged this to himself, but that he told Lois, too. I can understand that she had tears in her eyes. After all, he can do so much for her, and he has done so much for her - but this, this amazing special thing, is something she can do for him.

All in all, Lois and Clark were just so happy in these two chapters. And I really, really hope that Clark will soon realize what Lois truly means to him.

Ann

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Adorable, cute, waffy, and so sad mecry

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
Lara - so glad I could help distract you wink . Good thing you didn't do that yesterday b/c it was like 20+ min between postings =D.

Terry - no comment on the twin thing... As for the ginormous thing... According to my txt file - we passed Masques today. I *think* it's going to pass Longest Road: the Roads They Walked Alone [which reminds me - where is the sequel to Further On Down the Road?!?!], but not sure yet. I pity the GE as well. I'm sure Caroline K didn't know what she was getting into when she ended up with LtL in her inbox [and she did LtL: LS too]!

JD - ditto the no comment on the twin thing.

Ann - you too wink . This is something she can do for him. I like writing them happy. Wish I could do it more often...

Michael - It's Quasi-Platonic - didn't you read the titles to their Idiot's Guide books? wink

More tomorrow [though I've made pathetically little progress today after TONS of progress yesterday].

Carol

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Of course I read them. And grinned. And remembered when Lois thought of it a part or so after Clark did. Of course, then I got distracted with the next scene or so huh

The problem is of course, that *they* didn't read their books first.

Michael

/goes looking for a legal-pad and a pen to draw them a diagram/

PS: Since you haven't shown us in a while, but do they still kiss in public? IIRC, Lois did use the PDAs to sneak real kisses from Clark.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Wow, Carol! I would have gone through quite a bt of Kleenex if I hadn't been at work when I read this.

"But you know what your mom's done that's made me a winner? She's given me you and your brother." I rubbed her stomach. "You'll understand someday – I hope – why that means so much to me. I'm all that remains of a dead planet – at least until your brother was born, but I didn't know that he was my son at that point. I know you're my son or daughter and I'd love your brother as much as I do now even if he wasn't my biological son, but knowing that he probably is..."

I sighed.

"I never realized my need to be connected to Earth, but you and Christopher... You do that for me and so you need to take it easy on your mom because she's the one who's made that possible. Besides," I whispered, "it's her birthday."

I looked up to see if she was smiling at that, but instead I saw tears. "Hey," I said, moving towards her. "What is it?"

"I never knew you felt like that," she told me.

I shrugged. "It's not something I dwell on, but yeah. I never really realized how much I wanted my own, biological kids." I helped her sit up slightly so I could sit back down behind her. "I mean, you know I love Christopher – I always have – but..." I sighed, gently rubbing her stomach. "I've never really *known* where I came from, who I am. I mean, I know what was left with the ship and all, but it's like reading about an ancient society. You don't really know. I love my folks, my whole family, but the idea of something – or someone – tangible here on Earth that's connected to me..."

Her hand covered mine and they stilled, our fingers lacing together momentarily. "I'm glad I can give that to you, then."
Now, if Clark is still saying that he is not "in love" with Lois...who is he trying to convince? This has to be one of the most sensual conversations to have with someone that you are not in love with. How could he ever think that he would be content with someone else with everything that Lois has sacrificed for him--given him--everything they have shared? Even if he does get with Lana he will never be able to get with her what he has with Lois. Lois was his first...everything!

Lois and Clark already have what many couples wish for--friendship, love (not romantic), a foundation that they will eventually resort back to in old age when they are unable to share the sexual intimacy that they once did. The have something to go back to.

Now why do I get the feeling that in the next few posts Clark is going to get a feel for what his grandparents told him...about "it's who you can't live without"? Maybe he will experience a near miss with Lois (and the baby) and have to make some sort of decision or maybe just agonize over the possibility of losing her/them. Then he'll realize that he cannot live without her and admit that he has fallen in love.

I agree that he's not giving himself and Lois a chance. For some reason he's hanging onto this Lana thing and I don't think it's a logical reason.

Anyway, great job!

~Sheila

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
I read a bunch of parts at once tonight since my out-of-town company is visiting somebody else. Please, forgive me if my feedback is all muddled up.

I really appreciated that they spent time at the cabin because they wanted to and not because Sam suggested it. They had fun, too.

I also appreciated the forthright conversation that Clark initiated pointing out how Lois keeps throwing Lana into the mix. Honestly, a marriage with three people doesn't work so well. I can see that they're on the road to love, but--let's face it--quasi-platonic love isn't what marital love should be.

Elisabeth

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
First of all, I really don't think Clark is hanging on to Lana much anymore. Does he think about getting back together with her sometimes?

Of course.

But not that much.

"I really don't want to talk about this," she insisted stubbornly. "I'll take your word for it that you never bring up Lana or the divorce because you're the one with the eidetic memory. And I don't think there's any kind of deep seated reason why they get brought up. You may not have mentioned Lana in months, but when was the last time you thought about her? The last time you thought about what life will be like with her after this is over?"

"I don't know," I told her honestly.

"Then give me a ballpark. This week? Last week? Last month?"

I shrugged. "I don't know. It's been a while. I made myself stop thinking about her like that a long time ago."

That was met with a long silence. "What?" she finally asked.

"I realized that as long as I was obsessing, even in silence, about life with Lana or whatever, it was making our life here and now miserable. Or at least part of what was making our lives miserable. And I knew that I had to stop doing that, so I did. Or I tried to. Took me a while, but, for the most part, I've stopped thinking about that. Every once in a while something slips through, but..."
This is certainly an indication that he is moving on with his life.

Furthermore, as I have said before, Clark is thinking about Lana OR another woman at the end of the five years, not depending on he and Lana getting back together.

Second of all, I certainly agree that their are plenty of signs that he has feelings for Lois.
(1)Strong friendship
(2)He does "everything for her."
(3)His reaction to her when they had sex.
(4)He has to children with her - that's important to him because of the whole "not the only one on the planet" thing.

I see a lot of his resistance to be "double-edged guilt", as I have stated before, rather than him being selfish, or holding out for Lana.(See the 90/91 feedback thread and the 102/103 feedback thread for more details.)

Speaking of Lana, I'm really worried about her. (Probably one of the only ones but still...)
In the course of the story she has:
(1)Lost the boy she had every intention of marrying to a woman she doesn't like
(2)Lost her baby.

Carol, I can understand your desire for Clark to choose Lois because she's the right one, rather than because Lana is unavailable or turns out to be evil, have problem with aliens, etc.
In some ways, it does make a better story.

But, since Clark is thinking of "Lana or some other woman" as opposed to "Lana or Lois" right now, is it really necessary?

I just really feel for Lana right now, and I'm tired of her getting one bad deal after another in this story.

Lois certainly has a raw deal right now, being in love with her husband while he's not in love with her, worried about losing her kids, and her depression (which has do with all of the above).

But I am assuming, especially with the way this story is going right now, that Clark will choose Lois in the end. Don't get me wrong, I want him to.

Not that will be the end of her troubles, but it will be better than holding out for your boyfriend and watching him pick someone you never liked in the firstplace. Which, assuming Lana isn't a bad person, or married, etc. is what will happen to her.

I hope that doesn't sound too harsh. I know that you've said you don't like Lana. And most FoLCs don't, either. But can't something good happen to her in this story? Maybe she can get the job she wanted or something?

Personally, I'd love to see Lana's POV in this story. I don't suppose you'd write a "Lana's story?"

C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
Originally posted by Sara K M:

Personally, I'd love to see Lana's POV in this story. I don't suppose you'd write a "Lana's story?"
You just want to kill me don't you?

dizzy dizzy dizzy

Carol [more later]

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Carol commented:
As for the ginormous thing... According to my txt file - we passed Masques today. I *think* it's going to pass Longest Road: the Roads They Walked Alone [which reminds me - where is the sequel to Further On Down the Road?!?!]
My sequel is puttering right along, and thank you for asking. I'm not as brave as most of the rest of you, remember? I have to have the story finished and be several chapters ahead with my betas before I post anything! I'm just retentive that way (or cowardly, take your pick). I imagine you'll get this ginormous beast up to the archive before I start posting "End Of The Road," however. It's outlined but not finished yet. Besides, there's another one pushing its way out of my fecund brain. I'll be looking for betas soon, probably after the first of the year.

Did anyone notice that "ginormous" is now in Webster's New Millennium Dictionary? And that the word goes back to 1948??? And here I thought that it was invented by some ESPN talking head.

By the by, Webster's is the only one that pops up a definition for the word on Dictionary.com. Wonder why?

[/end brief thread hijack

Come on, Carol, post the next two chapters already! I'm looking for the list of steps now!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
Um, I had like a 60 chapter buffer when I started posting this...

It caught up with me.

Nano/UP helped with that, but right now I *think* I have about 15 chapters left to write but I'm not sure.

And yes there is some time jumping involved, of varying distances...

Carol

C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
Michael - unfortunately no one's written them yet wink .

Sheila - well, I'm glad you were at work then! Since when are feelings logical?

Elisabeth - writing them at the cabin was fun.

Sara - As always, astute observations. I'm not sure what's going to happen to Lana before the end of the story - except that we should see her again - either in person or in conversation or both.

Terry - did I hear the word 'beta'?!?! Look! A bird! A plane! Superman! /rummages through Terry's HD/ No, really, keep looking! You'll see him! /rummages some more/

Look for parts 108 and 109 soon smile .

Carol

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard