Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Lieta Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
Lara and Bernie? That has cuteness potential....

I can't wait to see where you go from here =)

Sara "Lieta"
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
/starts chant/

LARNIE!

LARNIE!

LARNIE!

LARNIE!

/encourages everyone else to take up chant/

LARNIE!

LARNIE!

LARNIE!

LARNIE!

wink

Carol

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Larnie? Oh, yes... sloppy

Such a sweet chapter! You write a lovely Lara. Indeed, she is just a bit like a female Bernie, at least in certain ways!

Ann

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'm a little confused. How did Lara end up with Dr. Klein? Was he the man that told her she was blocking the entrance to a public building?

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
Kerth
Kerth
Larnie? It works for me.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Kerth
Kerth
Queenie, you really manage to pull off writing your unique sort of humor into a long fic! Congrats!

The woman stood a little straighter and pushed back her hood, revealing a slightly drawn face framed by a long, disheveled mess of black and silver hair.
Wasn't Lara supposed to be a redhead? But then, this is an alt-universe, so be it.

You had me so rolling with laughter with this little tidbit:
Dr. Klein sighed and poured some more tea into their beakers. "Look, I understand. I really do. When my uncle Barry died, Aunt Iris really took it hard. Cousin Wally was afraid she'd never get over it..."
Well, the question is: Did uncle Barry really die or is he just... gone? And aunt Iris did get over it somehow, becoming the overly loved 'grandma Iris' for young cousin Bart and the rest of the Allen/West/Klein family, didn't she? And cousin Wally did follow in uncle Barry's footsteps - and had cousin Bart follow in his - eventually... rotflol I hope at least one of you doesn't think that's total nonsense...

No. Dr. Bernard-Klein [...]
Doesn't Lara know that in English, first and last name are not hyphoned? Probably not... laugh

So, what else? Oh, right, chanting.
LARNIE!
LARNIE!
LARNIE!
love

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
YAY!!!

More people chanting LARNIE!!!!

Carol [who long ago dubbed this the 'Larnie' fic]

Features Writer
Features Writer
LARNIE
LARNIE
LARNIE
This fun!!!!! hyper

I will and always be a big fan of Lois and Clark forever and forever.
Columnist
Columnist
Clark has be freaked out. Wonder how long til Superman heads to StarLabs?

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Good chapter. I wonder when Lara will realize that she's misplaced her globe. Hers must be smaller than Clark's if it fits in a man's coat pocket. Maybe because it contains less information, or because the second rocket contains something she hasn't found yet, like a larger globe?

I don't know. But it's going to be a real sea change when Clark and Lois find out about the real fate of Krypton and who the New Kryptonians are. And why did the New Kryptonians think that Krypton had exploded? Are some of the "nobles" actually asylum keepers? I'd like to think Trey had that job, since he acted like he was pretty much in charge anyway.

Bernie and Lara? I don't know. That would put Clark and Lara in pretty close contact, and I'm not sure he's going to be all that forgiving. I mean, he's been lied to by his biological father for all his life, and for what? To save his parents from being embarrassed? That's not a sufficient reason in my book. Clark kept the truth from Lois for two years to protect her (and just ask Ann if she thinks that was a good idea). At least he had a semi-altruistic reason. But a child deliberately cut off from his parents over a social stigma is a much different deal. There's a huge angst/conflict potential in this story.

Of course, there's also a huge joy potential. We'll see how it comes out. Soon, I hope.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
L
Lieta Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
There was still the threat to baby Kal-El...

Lara blinked back fresh tears. To kill him. It was an ancient law still practiced: after a newborn was deemed healthy by a doctor, the head of the house decided whether or not the child had a right to live. Until she and Jor-El were finally given to each other in marriage, the decision was her father’s. She could not imagine what he might do in his fury, and she did not want to think about it.
So while I agree with you that Clark will probably not appreciate that too much and be hurt that he was deceived... a deception compounded by his negative experience with the New Kryptonians, it was more that *just* social stigma... it also reinforces the harsh laws of the New Kryptonians even if they were potentially warped further by the apparently rampant insanity.

Sara "Lieta"
A
Features Writer
Features Writer
A
I loved Lara's reaction to seeing Clark. I think what she did is pretty common - imagining Clark, or Kal-El, as he was when she last saw him. She knew enough to realize he would have super-powers and recognized him as Superman, but it did not occur to her that he must have adapted to Earth society and has a life here.

I'm sure in time she'll be happy that he has, but imagine that it was quite a shock to her now.

Of course, now that she'll be working at Star Labs, it's just a matter of time before they see each other again.

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Lieta has a good point. That might explain why baby Kal-El was sent to Earth, but I'm not sure that would explain the messages on Clark's globe. It's one thing to protect your child, but it's quite another to tell him that his parents and everyone from his home are dead and that his home no longer exists. Being the "last son of Krypton" is a pretty lonely proposition, and they put this burden on him when they didn't have to.

I know it's the kind of thing that would have made sense at the time - kind of like Clark deciding that he and Lois couldn't be together for her own good without asking her - but, like Lois, I'm not sure Clark would agree with that chain of reasoning. At least we know where he gets his lunkheadedness from - it's hereditary!

And I'm seeing Lois as the peacemaker and the facilitator of forgiveness here. She can gently remind him how dumb he was then, and she can compare it to how dumb his bio parents were this one time. Of course, we have the added bonus of Clark being "cheated" out of meeting his bio father, so there's an additional aspect of pain and loos to deal with. I'm sure there's a light at the end of the tunnel, but there might be a couple of express trains coming through first.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi guys! laugh

Such a sweet chapter! You write a lovely Lara.
Aw, thanks. blush

Indeed, she is just a bit like a female Bernie, at least in certain ways!
Really? o_O Huh. I don't think I ever thought much about that, except in as much as they're both scientists.

I'm a little confused. How did Lara end up with Dr. Klein? Was he the man that told her she was blocking the entrance to a public building?
Yep.

Queenie, you really manage to pull off writing your unique sort of humor into a long fic! Congrats!
Thank you. laugh

Wasn't Lara supposed to be a redhead? But then, this is an alt-universe, so be it.
Actually, this is me attacking LnC canon with a machete. As I wrote in part 1:

“Of course.” Jor-El turned the globe over in his hand. “It will be child’s play. I can create holograms of any disaster we wish. If we choose so, I can even alter our appearances.
Also, LJK, you get a special prize for being the first one to pick up on that reference. clap *NONE* of my beta readers over the years caught that mention of the Flash; or if they did, they didn't feel inclined to mention it. You have made my day! dance

Hers must be smaller than Clark's if it fits in a man's coat pocket.
I had envisioned it as being only slightly smaller, but Jor-El could have just had very large pockets. Frankly, the original globe didn't seem all that big to me---it fits in one's hand, doesn't it? Although it could be I need to rewatch the episode. huh

Terry, you raise some very interesting points, and I hope you guys will continue to argue about this fic in the posts to come. laugh

Thanks, everyone. smile

~•~
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I loved the way Lara came into the DP and met Lois and then immediately recognized her son laugh clap

The black hair: Oh, I just figured they got a bit singed during reentry laugh

And then Lara landed in front of Star Labs? huh

LARNIE
LARNIE
LARNIE
LARNIE
LARNIE
LARNIE
LARNIE

laugh

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard