Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Lieta Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
The more we see of Rachel the more it becomes obvious that she belongs in Smallville... I really wonder where this will go...

Of course... a friend of mine was telling me of a fic she was trying to write for another canon with a lying narrator... maybe Lois is too biased of a narrator? =P

Sara "Lieta"
R
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
R
Great part. I am wondering if the 'breaking up' will be Lois and Clark's partnership

robinson
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Nancy, every single time I get content with where you are headed with this story, you take a completely different turn. Between yours and Carol's story, I think I'm actually getting whiplash.

For me, both Chad and Lois are way too nosy. Clark is a very private person, and on a "whim", he told Lois his secret. Because she's married, Clark had to let Chad in on the secret as well. I'm okay with that. But, Lois asking about sleeping arrangements seemed to be way too personal for a) this private Clark; and b) Lois to ask a person she's only known for a little while. I mean, didn't Lois and Chad initially agree to wait to make love as well? I'm guessing that they didn't make it to their wedding day (by Lois' shock about Rachel/Clark waiting, and Lois' comment in an earlier chapter about thinking Chad was gay if they hadn't slept together eventually).

I mean, Clark doesn't ask Lois about her relationship with Chad. I know Lois and Chad are trying to help Clark here, but if it were me, and my friends were doing that, I'd tell them to butt out.

Rachel is a country girl for sure. I can't remember. Did this Clark work at the Smallville Post at all? If not, working there might allow him and Rachel to be together.

I've stopped trying to figure out what the breaking up part of the title refers to. But, if Lois and Chad keep being as nosy and unintentionally pushy, I'm all for Clark leaving for Smallville. I mean, the main reason Clark has the Clark identity is to shield himself from curious onlookers. This may be harsh, but Lois and Chad may be people he has to shy away from.

grinch

PS: I'm not knocking the story, just yelling at my computer screen at Lois and Chad to be Clark's friend and to accept him for who he is. I kinda want Clark to put his foot down, and say, enough is enough. smile Maybe the breaking up is between Clark and Rachel? Sorry, I forgot no more questioning who breaks up here. laugh

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I still like this fic very much, Nancy, although I worry a little about what is coming up, since you hinted that I might not like it! wink

I agree with grinch that Chad and Lois are pushing Clark a little too much, but so far I think Clark is okay with it. And I really think that he appreciates their friendship and support very much.

I think Clark and Rachel are sweet toghether, and I would like to see them get married. But it would be really sad if they moved to Smallville!

Ann

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I enjoyed nosy Lois, but then I really like her spunky and stuff blush

Still waiting for the evil thing and perhaps Lois and Clark will be the break up? spider

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
A
Features Writer
Features Writer
A
Thanks, everyone!

Sara - I don't think Lois is a lying narrator, but she is biased. Thus the fact that she is convinced one minute that Clark is too happy to go back to Smallville, then she sees him happily with Rachel and is convinced he's moving tomorrow.

In my eyes, this is both the beauty and the problem with first person narrator's. We only get to see the world through Lois' eyes and we know that we don't always see reality and so have to assume that Lois doesn't either.

robinson - You know the more everyone questions who is doing the "breaking up" the more I like the title, even though I felt like I was settling on it. There are really a lot of potential break ups here and I think through the course of the story, many are tested (which is to say that not all are permanent).

grinch - Sorry for the whiplash! I didn't mean it. huh

I agree that Lois' question about the sleeping arrangements is too personal, but I could just see Lois asking that.

By the way, in my head, while it may have no impact on the story, Lois and Chad did wait. But I also saw Lois as someone who wasn't against premarital sex so much as sex when the participants are not really able to deal with the consequences. So while it made sense to her that she and Chad waited, partly to set a good example for Lucy, she sees a different between holding off on that aspect of a relationship for years when those are the years between 16 and 21 (about) and when they are the years between 20 and 26 (as it has been for Clark and Rachel).

It is this distinction - that she can't see being in a relationship that long as an adult that doesn't involve sex, that causes her to be so surprised by Clark's reticence to sleep with Rachel.

I think, as Ann said, while Clark is private, he knows that Lois and Chad mean well even if they are nosy and so he forgives them for it. They're nosy as they care about him and so he's sort of okay with that, although he puts an end to it when he starts to feel they've crossed a line.

I'm pretty sure I said in an earlier part that Clark worked at the Smallville Press after his travels, but that may just be one of those random things I know that I didn't share.

Ann - Well, I don't know if you won't like it. Part of the story gets pretty angsty which is sort of necessary in a long story and that probably will be less fun to read - and definitely won't make you want to curl up in it. I guess we'll have to see what you think, though. We still have a few chapters before the angst starts anyway.

I'm glad that Clark and Rachel are sweet together. It's one of my challenges with this fic. I had originally included some cute Clark/Rachel scenes in my outline, but then I remembered that this fic is from Lois' POV and she probably doesn't get to follow them around on dates, so I could only have Clark talk about them and hope to show their interactions when around Lois. Sometimes I wish I had stolen Carol's idea of rotating narration - maybe even including Chad in the mix - it would have been interesting to see his thoughts when Lois was revealing Clark's secret.

A
Features Writer
Features Writer
A
Thanks, Michael!

I liked nosy Lois, too. I just smiled as I wrote it as I could see Lois doing it and I could picture the indulgent smile on Clark's face while she did.

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I hear what you're saying. I guess it's so unusual for Clark to have friends outside of Lois (on the show), that I think anybody prying into his life, is doing just that, prying.

Friends are good, but that still is way too personal of a question. For me at least! Perhaps, I'm old fashioned. help

A
Features Writer
Features Writer
A
grinch - I don't think your old fashioned. I agree with you - it's too personal a question, particularly given how long Lois has known Clark. But I don't see Lois as seeing these types of distinctions. Or maybe she does see them, but ignores them. laugh

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by anonpip:
I liked nosy Lois, too. I just smiled as I wrote it as I could see Lois doing it and I could picture the indulgent smile on Clark's face while she did.
Yeah blush

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard