peep

Anyway, I wanted to start posting this before December... so here it starts... this was looked over by a friend of mine for grammar and parts of it were the original version Nancy (anonpip) beta'd for me. I'm not sure about posting schedule yet... my friend, Relyna, is living in Japan so hooking up with her is touch and go... and with holiday stuffs and finals I may or may not have time to work on things, but here it goes.

Note: I've played with the characters of both Lois and Clark a bit... there are differences in their histories as well... I also want to see if anyone guesses the major difference with this story...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Both Sides of the Coin
Part 1

A young man stepped off of a bus onto the street. A battered leather suitcase was in his hand with golden letters “CK” that gleamed dully in the light. The man was in his late twenties with dark hair that fell endearingly over his forehead and old-fashioned glasses that partially obscured his brown eyes. His clothes were a little worn and his hair was unfashionably long. He set his suitcase on the sidewalk and took a moment to observe the bustling populous around him. His gaze stopped on the entrance to the famous Daily Planet building and an expression of nervous excitement crossed his face.

His surveillance was suddenly interrupted by the sound of frantic honking and screeching tires.

<What was that?> He turned towards the sound.

<What was what?>

<It looks like there’s a bus out of control!> The bus barely missed several cars as it went down a hill, quickly picking up speed. A street light in its path turned red and people began to walk across the street, oblivious to their danger.

<Don’t do anything to give yourself away!>

The young man quickly looked around before running into the street, directly in front of the oncoming bus.

<I have to stop it!>

<Clark you *can’t* get caught!>

<I know, but I can stop it!>

The bus hit him and shuddered to a jarring halt, throwing the people inside out of their seats and off their feet. A woman in the crosswalk sputtered in shock pointing at the young man, “He... he... he...”

<Oh no! She saw me!>

<You were saying Clark? You’re not in Borneo anymore!>

Clark rushed away from the scene and disappeared into the crowd, leaving a handprint embedded in the front of the bus.

<I don’t think she saw my face.> Clark shoved a nervous hand through his hair and dropped into the shadows to scan the crowd. The woman was still in the street but no one was paying her any attention. After a few moments she took one last look back towards him before moving on. The bus operator was now staring at the imprint on his bus shaking his head while he waited for assistance. People exited the bus talking in hushed voices about what had happened. Most complained about the abrupt stop, never realizing how close they had brushed with disaster.

<You still got caught, are you sure about this interview?>

Clark scowled, <Yeah, come on, it’s the Daily Planet!> With a shake of his head he moved out of the shadows and headed for the glowing sign of the world famous Daily Planet. He crossed the road, pausing for a moment to stare at the globe adorning the entrance of the building. He took a deep breath and blew it out slowly. A moment passed before he squared his shoulders and headed inside.

<It’s a big city... you can’t get away with your stunts here.>

<I’ll be fine... I have to be.> He frowned as he headed for the elevator.

<“I have to be”? Clark!>

<Stop worrying!> Clark arrived at the floor of the newsroom. He looked around at the seething mass in the pit. Another young man rushed past him, “Um, excuse me... can you tell me where I can find Perry White?”

The young man pointed across the room, “His office is over there,” and rushed off again.

Clark walked towards the indicated office.

<Good luck...>

<I thought this was a ‘bad idea’> Clark knocked on the door.

<It is, but good luck anyway.>

“Um, Mr. White?”

“What now!”

“Um, I’m Clark Kent... I have an interview?”

“Oh... yeah...” Perry White sifted through the multitude of papers on his desk, finally finding the application. “Carlton called me about you... hadn’t heard from him in years...” he scanned through the form, “let’s see what we have here. Editor of the Smallville Press.... that’s...?”

“Kansas.” Clark’s face was wiped clean of emotion but his eyes were slightly wide.

An intercom buzzed and Clark’s eyes dropped slightly as Perry’s attention shifted. After listening to the message the editor began to bellow into the receiver, “Tell him to keep his pants on! If Carlini’s can’t get it here find somewhere that can!” Perry slammed the phone down and then placed one hand at his throat, fingering his pulse, while looking at his watch.

<Stressed out much?>

<Shhhh!>

<I’m just saying....>

“I had to buy a blood pressure monitor last week, can you believe it?”

<Tell him about those leaves you found for Dad...>

<What?>

<Tell him!>

“Um, Paava leaves!”

Perry’s gaze finally returned to Clark, but his brows were raised incredulously, “...I beg your pardon?” His hand slowly lowered from his neck as he eyed the young man in front of him.

“Er... the Yolngu tribe in New Guinea use paava leaves to treat stress... maybe you should try them?”

<Mr. confidence here...>

<Shut up!>

Perry’s expression closed slightly, “...well, I uh...” he placed his hand on his stomach and smiled politely, “sounds like you’ve done some traveling.”

“Um... yeah, I’ve traveled all over the world the last few years... I just got back from Borneo...”

<Wait....>

“But this is my first time in Metropolis...” Clark rifled through his papers.

<Clark...>

“I have some samples of my work.” He pulled out a stack of papers and handed them to Perry.

<Clark!>

<What?!>

Perry held out his hand, relaxing slightly, “Good... good... let’s take a look...”

<Please don’t tell me you...>

Perry frowned, “the Borneo Gazette...” he said with an air of disbelief.

<...left the gecko article on top...>

<...uhhh...>

The editor’s browns dropped into a frown, “Mating Rituals of the Knob-Tailed..” suddenly his brow climbed to his hairline, “...Gecko”?!” His face took on a look of distaste, “Look, Kent, I’m sure this is fascinating...”

<Sorry Clark...>

<Wait, why?>

“...but this is the Daily Planet!”

<You haven’t had to interview very much have you?>

<...oh.>

“You can’t expect to come in here with this resume and expect...”

“Hey Chief!” The young man Clark had met earlier poked his head in. “I fixed the horn on your golf cart...”

“Not now Jimmy!” Perry’s temper rose at the interruption.

“...the tone is still off but...”

“NOT NOW!” Perry threw the offered keys at Jimmy, who shrugged and shot off, never even looking at Clark, who watched him depart.

“Now, as I was saying, I just don’t...”

A woman barged through the door, “Chief!” Perry hung his head fractionally before turning to the new intruder, “I think there’s something here...” She was dressed in a reserved suit with dark hair cut in a pageboy style just above her shoulder.

<...Wow...>

<Uh... Clark?>

“Remember the guy from this morning? The crazy one?”

<...she...> Clark scrambled to his feet.

<Hello? Gecko boy!>

“His name is Samuel Platt and he was an engineer at EPRAD for ten years. He...”

<...wow...>

<Clark? Are you actually speechless? You?>

“Lois! Can’t you see I’m in the middle of something here?” Perry motioned to Clark, Lois’ gaze never wavered from her boss.

<...Lois...wow...>

<You’re a goner m’boy.>

“...oh,” she vaguely looked Clark’s way before returning to Perry.

<She’s amazing!>

<I bet... seems a bit pushy to me.>

Perry sighed, “Lois Lane, Clark Kent.” Finally Lois actually looked at the other occupant of the office.

<...Lois Lane...>

<Isn’t she that the Plant’s new award winning hot shot?>

“Nice to meet you,” she instantly snapped back to Perry, “Anyway, about Platt...”

<Ouch.>

<...Lois...> Clark nervously shifted his glasses.

<You are pathetic, you know that?>

“Lois,” Perry began to gesture with his hands, “what happened to that mood piece I gave you? The one about the old theatre on 42nd?”

Lois sneered, “I wasn’t in the mood.”

<Bet you could write that piece... has to be better than the geckos... Clark? Are you listening?>

Perry’s brows climbed, “Now Lois, listen, I...”

There was the sound of a knock, everyone looked at the window, Jimmy was there pointing to a phone.

“Gotta run,” Lois rushed for the door.

Perry shook his head, exasperation clear on his face, “If that woman wasn’t one of the best damn investigative reporters I’ve ever seen...” his fingers returned to his throat, “Anyway, Kent, I’m sure that you’re an intelligent guy... but you can’t walk just walk in here with this kind of resume and expect a job...”

<Crunch time Kent.>

Clark’s eyes narrowed and he straightened, “Mr. White, I know I lack experience, but I’m and hard worker and a good writer. I...”

“Kent,” Perry held up a hand, “I haven’t got anything for you.”

Clark gave up, “...thank you, sir. I appreciate your taking the time to see me.”

<Sorry Clark...>

<It was a long shot.>

<Still... I’m sorry.>

<Thanks.>

Clark rose and extended a hand to Perry. Perry smiled and took it in a firm shake. A slight crunching sound echoed in the room and Clark departed. Perry’s expression changed to one of pain as he cradled his hand.

<Um Clark?>

<Yes?>

<You sure you’re ok?>

<Yeah, why?>

<You almost broke his hand...>

<I’m fine.>

<Um, ok...>

Clark paused by the elevator, rubbing an agitated hand against the bridge of his nose.

“Tough break...”

Clark’s gaze snapped around to meet the gaze of Lois Lane, “Yeah...”

Lois frowned, “What was your name again?”

Clark sighed, “Clark Kent...”

Lois considered him for a moment, “So... Kent. Why did you choose the Planet?”

Clark sighed, “Just a pipe dream I guess...”

Lois watched him as the elevator opens. He stepped inside, his battered suitcase taking one more hit as the doors started to close.

To Clark’s shock Lois stopped the door just before it closed all the way and stepped in. She watched him in silence while the elevator headed for the lobby.

Across the room an old newshound watched this interaction with eyes wide in shock.

Now in the lobby Lois kept pace with Clark. Finally Clark drew to a halt, “Why are you following me?”

“I’m not following you... I’m...” she frowned as she failed to come up with a reasonable response.

Clark frowned as well, “I’m just confused... you wouldn’t give me the time of day in there... now you’ve basically chased me out of the building...”

Lois scowled, “Chased you?! You have a high opinion of yourself, don’t you?”

Clark shrugged, “I’m just trying to figure you out...”

Lois poked a finger into his chest, “Well... I bet you’re used to women falling all over themselves for you... well not *me*!”

Clark blinked, “Hey! I don’t... what do you want?!”

Lois chewed her lip, “I don’t know...”

Clark’s brows rose, “You don’t know?”

Lois shrugged, “I trust my intuition and...”

Clark’s eyes widened and he whispered, “Did you feel it too?”

Lois blinked, “Feel what? No... don’t answer that... I don’t want to hear the line...”

Clark sighed, “Look... Ms. Lane... as interesting as standing here being insulted and confused is... I just got turned down for my only interview in the city... I need to figure out where I’m going to sleep... not to mention what I’m going to do for a job...” he held out a hand, “It was nice meeting you... maybe if I can get a job in Metropolis I’ll see you around...”

Lois just stared at the offered hand so he shook his head and turned away.

“You never answered my question...”

Clark groaned softly and turned back to her, “What question?”

“Why the Planet?”

Clark sighed, “I’ve traveled all over the world... every continent... the big cities and the open villages... but ever since I decided on journalism in college I wanted to work at the Planet... Norcross and Judd... White... so many others... even yourself Ms. Lane...”

Lois frowned, “I can understand that... I felt the same... but what makes you think you’re good enough?”

Clark shrugged, “I’m smart... I work hard... I’m a good writer... am I as seasoned as other reporters my age? Probably not... but I’ve seen more of the world in the last five years them most people see in a lifetime...”

Lois smirked at him, “*That’s* how you should talk to Perry White...”

Clark blinked, “I...” he frowns, “Why are you helping me?”

Lois shrugged, “Something about you... I’m getting the feeling I usually only get when I’m about to stumble onto a big story...”

Clark’s brows rose, “Kansas farm kid reporter travels the world before being turned down for a job at the Daily Planet is a story?”

Lois blinked, “Kansas farm kid? Really?”

Clark grinned, “Not what you were expecting?”

Lois raised a brow, “No... farmboy...”

Clark chuckled, “Good one... citygirl...”

Lois’ eyes twinkled, “So... why does a small town farmboy want to come to Metropolis of all places?”

Clark grinned, “Maybe to meet someone like you...”

Lois stiffened and glared, “Here’s a tip, Kent... city girls can be perfectly happy on their own... I’m not looking for a man...”

Clark sighed, “I’m sorry... I didn’t mean to...”

Lois cut him off, “Now if you’ll excuse me I’m going back to work!” she stormed back to the elevator.

<Now that was interesting... prickly thing, isn’t she?>

Clark watched her as she waited for the elevator, <I think... I felt a connection of some sort...>

<Maybe... but don’t count on some sort of ‘love at first sight’...>

<Even if that’s what I felt... it wouldn’t matter unless she felt it too.> Clark walked over to a newsstand to buy a paper. He flipped through the classifieds and scanned the listings for apartments. <Ugh... there doesn’t seem to be anything decent around...>

<I’m not surprised... you know you can always stay with...>

<I know...>

“42nd street... the Sarah Bernhardt Theatre...”

Clark’s gaze jerked up to meet Lois’ once more, “What?”

“It’s the story Perry wanted me to write... some stupid puff piece...”

Clark frowned, “Why?”

Lois shrugged, “I don’t honestly know... but if you really are as good as you seem to think you are... write that up and take it to Perry...”

Clark nodded slowly and held out his hand again, “Thank you... Ms. Lane...”

This time she reached for his hand before saying, “Good luck... Kent...”

As their hands met Clark felt a jolt go through him and forced himself to stay rooted to the ground. Lois’ eyes widened slightly too and she nervously pulled away.

Clark took a deep breath, “Ms. Lane... Lois...”

Lois shook her head, “Don’t... please... I don’t want...”

Clark nodded slowly, “Thanks for your help, Ms. Lane... even if I don’t end up getting the job... I’m grateful that you would help me out like this...”

Lois shrugged, “I’m giving you a tip... it’s up to you to use it...”

Clark smiled, “True... but you didn’t have to give me the tip...”

Lois rolled her eyes, “Whatever, farmboy...” she turned and headed for the elevators again. Clark smiled after her before walking out the door.

Jimmy shook his head slowly in awe from a corner next to the stairwell. After a few extra moments contemplating the bizarre scene he had witnessed... Lois Lane had flirted... without tearing the guy to shreds... he scurried up the stairs to report his observations back to Perry.

That evening a taxi pulled up in front of a small house. Clark exited the taxi after paying his fare. Taking a deep breath he pulled out a key and headed for the door.

Once inside he called out, “Hello? Anybody home?”

tbc...

Sara "Lieta"