Here's another part, and even some Lois and Clark stuff in this section. As always, your comments are welcome and appreciated.

Yours Jenni

Previously on My Wife The Boss:

Clark walked quickly through the large dining room where just a few stragglers were finishing off their breakfasts and the staff were already setting the tables for lunch. He left St Andrews with a spring in his step, feeling elated that the trail for the bomber was finally starting to shape up. There was still a lot of investigating to do, but he'd brought down other villains from such obscure beginnings and was confident that this time would be no different.

He was also still wondering if Father Ninian had winked and squeezed his hand at the Superman reference. Could the priest possibly suspect? There didn't seem to be much that got past Father Ninian, and he had known Lois, Clark and Superman for a long time.

It seemed the family secret might not be quite such a big secret after all.

continued ...

Clark sat back in his chair and surveyed the two people on the other side of the table, digging his hands in his pockets to keep them still.

“Well, that's where I am. I know it isn't much, but at least I have a partial name and an actual district to search.”

Jim imitated Clark's actions, balancing his chair on its back legs. “Not much is right!” He placed his hands behind his head and stared back at his old friend, trying to keep the pitying look from showing up in his expression. Clark was trying so hard. “CK, you can't really call that a solid lead ...”

“I don't know, Jim. It's better than anything we've had before,” Lois said, supporting her husband, and yet she was not quite able to disguise her skepticism either.

Clark had returned from the St Andrews shelter, appearing very animated and asking her and Jim to meet with him in the conference room. He'd hinted he had solid information on the bomber, but if this was all he had, he was definitely reaching.

“Come on, guys. We've worked cases with less ... at least, you and I did, Lois.” He leaned forward, placing his hands firmly on the table. “Think about it. I have a first name and we now know that Tanner had an accomplice ...”

“The guy Tanner was seen with could just have been a friend,” Jim interrupted, his tone still doubtful but not derisory.

“The night before the bombing ... and asking him to stay the night?” Lois said, beginning to feel a tiny buzz sizzle along her veins. “That's too coincidental. I agree with Clark on the accomplice issue.”

“Lois, I'll stake my life Bob wasn't a partner ... more like a patsy.” Clark pushed back from the table and stood up, starting to pace. “Everyone who knew Tanner says he was a quiet guy ...”

“Yeah, CK. A loner,” Jim added, the front legs of his chair also falling to the ground with a bang. “And you know what they say -- loners are often the worst.”

“But they also say that Bob was a good guy ... a kind guy.” Clark stopped pacing and turned to James. “Someone who would share any good fortune he found along the way.”

“I hear you, CK. But you've been talking to down and outs ...”

“Jim, Bob had been on the streets for years. Why did he suddenly go rogue? It just doesn't make sense. And I've been talking to more than just homeless people.” Clark stuck his hands in his pockets again; he was attempting to cure himself of the nervous need to play with his 'ghost' finger ... and he was feeling under stress right now. He needed Jim and Lois to believe in him. “The volunteers at the centers agree. Tanner didn't fit the profile, and if Patrick was right, Tanner was almost kidnapped on that last night.”

“Can you believe this Patrick?” Lois asked. For the first time since he'd returned, Lois could see the passion for the chase shine from Clark's eyes, and she shared his excitement. No matter how tenuous the lead, she was prepared to trust his instincts.

Clark shrugged. “He's a drunk, and Father Ninian did bribe him with another drink ... after he talked.” Clark fell silent for a nanosecond, considering, then he took a deep breath. “But yes. I'm sure he was telling the truth. And, Lois, the 'mystery' guy spooked him, he mentioned the thin face and the eyes ... just like you did when you saw the sketch.”

“I remember. He wasn't ever going to win any prizes for Mister Universe with that narrow face ... but those pale eyes of his were scary.” Lois moved her own chair back, preparing to leave the conference room. “OK, Clark, what's your next move? I'm sorry I'm going to have to cut this meeting short. I'm busy ...”

“Honey, your always busy,” Clark said sympathetically. “Jim, I was hoping you'd run the sketch through another data-base check, now you have a partial name ...”

James wasn't convinced Clark was onto anything, but he was prepared to work with him ... even if it was only to humor him. “Sure thing, CK. I have a story to finish, then I'll get right on it.”

“Thanks, Jim. I know you're not a researcher anymore, but their isn't anyone I'd trust more with a computer search ...” His voice tailed off as he watched Jim walk out the door. Slowly, he turned back to his wife. “Are you humoring me too, or was that minute note of enthusiasm in your voice for real?”

“You noticed, huh?” she said, smiling gently at her husband as she walked toward him. “Actually, it was for real ... and I have no concrete reason why. I mean, logically, Jim's right, and your lead is as thin as a spider's web ... but, relatively, spider's webs are pretty strong.” Lois was standing very close to Clark, but she didn't touch him. “For the first time, I feel what you feel.”

It was Clark who raised his hands to rest lightly on Lois' shoulders. “You don't think that could be due to our special connection?”

Lois shook her head, her hair wisping about her face. “No. This is different. This is business, and I haven't felt like this in years, but then I've been a desk jockey for a long time. Maybe too long.”

Clark eyebrows rose as he looked incredulously at his wife. “Are you saying what I think you're saying?”

She stepped back, giving his chest a final pat. “I don't know what I think I'm saying. Give me time to think about it ...”

“Honey, it's a big step ... and a backward one.”

She silenced him by planting a kiss on his lips. “Don't! I have my current job to do right now ... and you're correct, this is a big step ... a huge step, and it's one I'm not sure I want ... or that the family deserve ...”

Lois kissed him fleetingly then almost ran from the room, leaving Clark nervously playing with his hands again. He'd thought he'd give anything to have Lane and Kent back together, except that would put Lois back in the firing line and without him having reliable superpowers to protect her.

Perhaps they were both getting too old to face the danger ... and there was no denying they had a responsibility to stay alive for their kids.

But that was for the future, and at this moment he had his own job to do. He opened the conference room door and went after his wife. “Lois, wait!”

She halted for a second, calling over her shoulder as she hurried back to her office. “Not now, Clark. I really am busy.” Only, he wouldn't be put off and she heard him follow her. “Clark please, I know we need to talk, but not now ...”

The door clicked shut. “Lois, I totally agree. We do need to talk about this, but right now I have a bomber to catch ... right after I finish that Jilin piece,” he added, knowing Lois expected him to do all the work she'd assigned. Which was only fair, he shouldn't be given special privileges just because he was her husband.

“Oh, I think that can wait,” Lois said, swinging around at the edge of her desk. “The bomber is the big story, and I want my best investigative reporter on it.” She gave the smallest of smiles, cocking her head a little to the side, thinking, before she inquired. “Are you planning on passing this information to Peterson?”

Clark acknowledged Lois' compliment with a smile, then his lips pursed and he shrugged, answering her question with one of his own. “What information? You've seen how Jim reacted, and he's a friend.” His expression grew somber, as he realized just how insubstantial his lead appeared to others. “I doubt Peterson would be any more convinced, and I couldn't blame him. His bosses certainly wouldn't listen. I need more proof before I go to the police.”

Lois nodded sagely. “You're right. It's too soon to bring Jed on board.” She stared long and hard at Clark, sensing his determination. “But you have a plan?”

Clark grinned at her reading of him. “I thought perhaps I could talk Matt into checking out the cafes in Bakerline tonight. Now we've narrowed down our search, we could get lucky.”

“Sounds good ... but, maybe tonight isn't such a good idea.” Lois could barely hide a grin, and it was clear she'd put the touchy subject of their future and work aside for the present.

“Oh, something happening tonight that I should know about?” Clark asked, his eyes twinkling.

“Not what you're thinking, though if you play your cards right ...” Lois chuckled and winked. “No. Actually, Sara mentioned to Vicky that one of your favorite Christmas movies is It's a Wonderful Life, and it happens to be playing at the new retro-film theater a couple of blocks from here. The girls got tickets ... kinda an early surprise Christmas gift. We're all going; the kids -- providing nothing calls Matt away -- even your parents and mine.”

“No kidding?” A grin flashed across Clark's face, his teeth gleaming white against his skin; little by little he'd lost his unhealthy pallor. “That's great. I haven't seen that movie in ... well ... you know.” Suddenly he was serious again, reaching out and touching Lois' cheek. “I couldn't have wished for kinder daughters. I know I've told you this before, but you did a great job with them ... and Matt.”

Lois pushed a strand of hair behind her ear. “They are good kids, most of the time, but I didn't do it all by myself. I think it has something to do with their genes ... mostly yours.” She gave him a lopsided smile before moving behind her desk, a sure sign that the family conversation was over. Narrowing her eyes at the copy on her desk, underlined heavily in red, she asked distractedly, “So, you'll put off your search until tomorrow?”

“What time do we have to be there?”

Lois halted picking up her pen and opened her top drawer instead, quickly checking the tickets. “The show starts at 6.35 and we're meeting the kids, your parents and mine at the theater.”

Clark was still beaming. “That's terrific. Matt and I can go see the movie with you guys and check out Bakerline later. If you think that's OK?” he added, unsure if there were any plans for after the movie.

“No, I think that would be good, though the girls might be a bit disappointed not to pick up a pizza on the way home. Are you sure this can't wait till tomorrow?”

“Lois, this man has exploded four bombs in almost as many weeks ... and he's getting more ambitious every time.” Clark's head dipped for a few seconds, but when he looked up, there wasn't a shadow of doubt in his eyes. “I don't believe we have any time to waste.”

Lois brow wrinkled and her lips tightened, but when she replied, she sounded just as positive. “Unfortunately, I totally agree. Don't worry about the girls being disappointed. I'll talk to them ...” Her chin firmed and she swallowed hard. “They'd want you to do your job. I want you to do your job. Go nail this criminal, Clark. Put him away before he does anymore harm.”

Chapter Twelve
It Came Upon a Midnight Clear

Ina turned over in her bed, enjoying the comfort of a new mattress. While this bed might be smaller than her usual king size, it molded and supported her body in a way the Bowen's family bed never did.

Bah!

She was growing soft in her old age. Why on earth had she allowed that Liz person to talk her into leaving her own room? A room which she'd claimed as her own since her grandmother's death, and, no matter her change of fortune or the change of status for the Bowen's mansion, she had been adamant that it remain hers.

Yet she'd let herself be persuaded to move until such time as the thermostat was repaired. The aide had discovered, when she'd tried once more to turn up the heat -- the girl was very persistent -- that the damn thing was broken. So here she was in smaller, though, she had to admit, more agreeable accommodation.

And she'd even agreed to open the package, and had experienced the smallest frisson of surprise when she'd discovered it was a greeting card and a box of chocolates from Thomas.

Of course, the boy hadn't remembered that she'd only indulge in a such a luxury on special occasions, or that she ate only Belgium chocolates ... the rich, dark sort. In the end, she'd given the chocolates to Liz, who had finally agreed to take the box to share with the rest of the staff, it not being a big enough box to go around all the residents.

Ina supposed the size of the gift might be an indication that Thomas was down on his luck and couldn't afford the expensive kind ... which was perfectly believable, since her nephew had never succeeded in any undertaking.

She heaved a sigh of resignation as she rolled onto her back to stare at the ceiling. Just like his father, he was a good-for-nothing, and it was too much to expect that he'd changed ... leopards did not change their spots. He had probably got in touch with her after all these years because he needed a hand out and expected her to have mellowed with age.

Well, his expectations were way off the mark ... or were they? Underneath her mistrust and indignation there was a tiny part, a very lonely part of her which dreamed she could renew her ties with her only remaining kin.

Perhaps she was getting maudlin in her dotage? She turned her head stiffly, screwing up her eyes to peer at the card which sat alone on the bedside cabinet. The bright moonlight shown through a gap in the drapes and crept across the floor to illuminate the Christmas message.

At least, he'd chosen a suitable card ... nothing with Father Christmas in his garish red suit, or silly sentimental animals which were supposed to pull at the heart strings. No, it was a religious card: a card celebrating the birth of our Savior ... as was correct.

Could it be that Thomas had finally found his salvation? She could die content if that were the case. Ina closed her eyes as her mouth twisted in an unaccustomed smile. Tomorrow, when Liz came in, she might instruct her to answer Thomas' message. Was there a return address on the package? She hadn't asked.

With an unusual warmth in the room and inside her heart, Ina drifted off to sleep.

To Be Continued ...